New to PC gaming

Hiei69

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
I've been a console gamer all my life, but after my iMac just broke (my second Mac to break), I decided to get a fairly powerful Windows laptop. I won't receive my order for a couple weeks, but here are the specs:

Sony Vaio EB Series (15.5" screen)
Intel® Core™ i5-460M processor (2.53GHz) with Turbo Boost up to 2.80GHz
4 GB DDR3 ram
ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 5650 GPU (1GB VRAM)
320 GB 5400 rpm

So, my question is, what are some PC exclusives that I should catch up on?
The Witcher looks interesting, but will I be able to run it at decent settings (Medium)?

Last edited by a moderator:
You should do yourself a favor and check out my free and legal PC games thread that's in my sig and stickied on this board.

I would also take some time out and get a good gamepad if you don't already have one. On that same list is a link to a freeware program that will help you put any game that does not already support gamepads working with gamepads.

Outside of Witcher - You should describe the genres or types of games you like so that others on here can make some suggestions for you to try out.

You should also make free accounts on STEAM, GOG, Impluse and other online PC retailers so that you can get up to date info on PC game deals and such - sometimes they have free weekends and such so you can try out entire games before making a decision on it.

I have a 360 pad and a ps3 controller, so that's taken care of. I'm not a big fan of real time strategy games, but RPGs like Mass Effect definitely hold my interest. I really haven't played any other Bioware or Bethesda RPGs. Shooters and Xbox live arcade type games are also good.

I have a steam account (I set it up on my mac, but couldn't really play anything). Can I purchase games ahead of time on a different computer and then download it to my new computer when it arrives?

planescape-torment_inlay.jpg

Ve haff much to discuss, komrade.

[quote name='Hiei69']I have a 360 pad and a ps3 controller, so that's taken care of. I'm not a big fan of real time strategy games, but RPGs like Mass Effect definitely hold my interest. I really haven't played any other Bioware or Bethesda RPGs. Shooters and Xbox live arcade type games are also good.

I have a steam account (I set it up on my mac, but couldn't really play anything). Can I purchase games ahead of time on a different computer and then download it to my new computer when it arrives?[/QUOTE]

Yes. Once you get a game on STEAM (free or retail) it's on your account with the ability to dl whenever you need it...unless it otherwise says so (enter evil DRM).

GOG has a deal going with some of the classics of Bioware.

[quote name='The Crotch']
planescape-torment_inlay.jpg

Ve haff much to discuss, komrade.[/QUOTE]

Planescape Torment is one of the oldie but greaty games of Bioware yesteryear. Some stores have it in bargain bins for as low as 99 cents or you get get it online at GOG.

In my thread the action section has arcade games but many of the assumed arcade games of XBL have further genres like Brawler, SHUMP (aka Shoot'em Ups) and others that you will find in the action section.

[quote name='The Crotch']...

It was Black Isle, heathen.[/QUOTE]

Damn, you're right. It was a long time ago...

Shooot that was back in the day when I actually thought about paying for games. :)

Then I would check out Baldur's Gate series.

Well, I just took advantage of the Left 4 Dead 2 sale. I loved that game on Xbox, so for $5, I couldn't pass up the PC version.

On the GOG website, if a game does not specifically say that it is compatible with Windows 7, does that mean that it won't work on my system? Specifically, I'm looking at Beyond Good and Evil.

[quote name='Hiei69']Well, I just took advantage of the Left 4 Dead 2 sale. I loved that game on Xbox, so for $5, I couldn't pass up the PC version.

On the GOG website, if a game does not specifically say that it is compatible with Windows 7, does that mean that it won't work on my system? Specifically, I'm looking at Beyond Good and Evil.[/QUOTE]

I never mess with any of their retail games but there should be a forums section on there where you can see what others say.

This is what I found off of a right click off of what you stated - http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/561436-beyond-good-and-evil/49688262

I can't believe how cheap some of these games are. That Indie Pulse pack on Steam is only $5. I haven't even really looked at the classic rpgs, but I hear a lot of good things about that Planetscape Torment game.

Lemme put it this way:

Mechanically, the game can be a bit irritating. I've played this shit out of that game, and I still don't understand second editon D&D. And teammate AI can be really irritating, especially if you go through the (mercifully optional) Mechanus dungeon. There are also a lot of mods that you really should install if you want to play (higher resolution support, typo fixing, cut content restoration, etc.), and though there are some handy guides out there for both the disk and the GOG versions to help out with that, it can still be a bit of a pain.

But if you get through all that, you get what is, in my opinion, the best written game ever.

So, yeah, there's that.

Team Fortress 2, pretty much the best multiplayer FPS ever. You need this. Steam will probably have it on sale on Sunday or Monday for ultra cheap, and there is no reason not to buy this. I would recommend the L4D series too, but I see you already picked up L4D2, although L4D1 has it's own charms, if you can get it for cheap.

All of Blizzard's games are great. WoW is a great MMORPG and all that, but the real game you need to get from them is Starcraft 2, easily the best RTS on the PC right now. Don't write off RTS games until playing it. Also great multiplayer.

For some classic-ish games, you definately wanna check out Planescape: Torment, the Balder's Gate series, and the first two Fallout games, since you mentioned RPGs.

Some games that aren't really "exclusive" but still worth checking out include The Elder Scrolls 3 (Morrowind) and 4 (Oblivion), Fallout 3 and New Vegas, and Dragon Age: Origins. Again, all RPGs.

Civilization IV or V will keep you occupied for long stretches and covers the turn-based strategy genre very well.

bread's done
Back