New to PS3, Recommend some RPG's

Poor2More

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
I just got the $199 Holiday Bundle on Black friday (I had no interest in a PS3, but the value of the bundle was superb)

I am looking for RPG's (especially JRPG) and best PS3 exclusive games.

Here is what I manage to buy so far.

Ratchet & Clank: All for One (came in bundle)
Little Big Planet 2 Special Edition (came in bundle)
Uncharted 3: Drakes Deception (#1 reason why I got a PS3)
Final Fantasy XIII
SOCOM 4: U.S Navy Seals (Only paid $9.99 via Game Fly sale+Coupon)
Resident Evil 5: Gold Edition (Only $16 used at GS)
Star Ocean: The Last Hope International Edition ($20 used at GS)
Killzone 3: Helgast Edition ($24 at Bestbuy)

on a side note, that Killzone 3: Helgast edition was a great deal, I just wanted the game not the extras (Helmet, figure, Artbook), The game it self cost $40, so it was a no brainer to pick up the Helgast edition with all the extras. I only took the game out, and keep all the collectors stuff in the box and currently using the Helgast Edition as a table for inside my work van (fills the huge gap in between the driver and passenger seat).

What other RPG's would people recommend, or games in general that are PS3 exclusives? is the Yakuza series any good?

Thanks guys!

Here is my PSN name also if anybody want to friend me (most of my friends only play online on 360 or just their PS3 mostly as a blu-ray player)

Skyrim_Knight

I'm a JRPG fan but the PS3 utterly fails in this category. You might wanna give Valkyria Chronicles a try. It's a strategy RPG, a genre I don't really like, but I still loved the game. Then there's Demon's Souls... which will test your patience. Eternal Sonata is another one but I haven't played that.

Otherwise, it's a sea of multi-platform WRPGs: Oblivion/Skyrim, Mass Effect 2, Fallout 3/New Vegas.

Of course, if you go to the PSN store and are ok with some PS1 classics, you'll be able to experience some of the best JRPGs ever. Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross, Xenogears, Grandia and Vagrant Story.

[quote name='Vinny']I'm a JRPG fan but the PS3 utterly fails in this category. You might wanna give Valkyria Chronicles a try. It's a strategy RPG, a genre I don't really like, but I still loved the game. Then there's Demon's Souls... which will test your patience. Eternal Sonata is another one but I haven't played that.

Otherwise, it's a sea of multi-platform WRPGs: Oblivion/Skyrim, Mass Effect 2, Fallout 3/New Vegas.

Of course, if you go to the PSN store and are ok with some PS1 classics, you'll be able to experience some of the best JRPGs ever. Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross, Xenogears, Grandia and Vagrant Story.[/QUOTE]

Yea I have a 360 also, so I pretty much played all the RPG's/WRPG released. Im thinking maybe give Disgaea 4 and White Knight Chronocles II a chance, anyone have ant thoughts on those?

Thanks for the suggestion of Grandia and Vagrant Story, I loved Grandia when released on PS1, and Vagrant Story was fantastic from what I remembered.

lol, im in the same boat, i just got a ps3 and got ff13 and uncharted 3, im thinking of getting borderlands and getting valkyria chronicles as well

i would like to know what rpgs are recommended and if it wont be too much off topic other games worth getting.

im exited for twisted metal!

theres record of agarest wars if you dont already have it on xbox, vandal hearts: flames of judgement, valkyria chronicles is really good, resonance of fate, disgaea series, cross edge, trinity universe, eternal sonata, hyperdimension neptunia, alterier totori, ar tonelico Qoga, and star ocean last hope international which you already have hope this helps a bit.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='WarPSycho']lol, im in the same boat, i just got a ps3 and got ff13 and uncharted 3, im thinking of getting borderlands and getting valkyria chronicles as well

i would like to know what rpgs are recommended and if it wont be too much off topic other games worth getting.

im exited for twisted metal![/QUOTE]

I would suggest Star Ocean: Last Hope for PS3, even if you played it for 360 because no disc swapping unlike 360 version which got annoying fast when ever you back track, faster load times, and only $20 at Gamestop

How well do the PS1 classics play on PS3? i.e do they crop screen? stretch image? does it distract from playing? or is it pretty much like playing a PS1 system? any drawbacks? Im currently interested in buying Vagrant Story and Parasite Eve series

[quote name='Poor2More']How well do the PS1 classics play on PS3? i.e do they crop screen? stretch image? does it distract from playing? or is it pretty much like playing a PS1 system? any drawbacks? Im currently interested in buying Vagrant Story and Parasite Eve series[/QUOTE]

They play just like they did on the PS1/2. But because they play just like the originals, that means if there was slowdown on the PS1, there will be slowdown on the PS3 even though the PS3. So Chrono Trigger still has the pauses whenever you access the menu, enter towns/battle, etc. And Grandia still has slowdown but I kinda thought it wasn't as bad as it was on the PS1... it seemed to run smoother.

It's not all bad. The games will be upscaled (which does help- colors are better and they're less pixelated) and you can have them show at normal 4:3 ratio or have them stretch out to fit the screen. Plus, you can also play them on the PSP.

NIER to infinity. Also, Hyperdimension Neptunia if you're not too insecure to play a game with young girls making boob jokes.

If you can handle a good challenge then Dark Souls is probably the best action RPG you'll find on the PS3. (Though Dark Souls made a lot of enjoyable changes/improvements, the prequel Demon's Souls is worthwhile too, and it's a PS3 exclusive)

If you enjoy classic beat'em'up gameplay and sandbox-style aimless wandering then Yakuza is a great series. It feels like a good fusion of Streets of Rage and Grand Theft Auto set in Japan. (Be warned, the opening to Y3 is very slow, and honestly, lame, but it picks up a lot after the opening section).

If you enjoy the classic NES Zelda series then 3D Dot Game Heroes is a fun throwback.

You've already bought more games in a month than I buy in a year, lol why are you even asking about what you should get next? Get playing!

[quote name='iamsmart']You've already bought more games in a month than I buy in a year, lol why are you even asking about what you should get next? Get playing![/QUOTE]
Just so I can keep an eye out on CAG for deals for such games : )

[quote name='iamsmart']You've already bought more games in a month than I buy in a year, lol why are you even asking about what you should get next? Get playing![/QUOTE]

Eh, I make him look good. I got my PS3 in July, and I already have 17 disc games and 8 downloadable, plus I plan on getting more on and after Christmas.

On the RPG level, Valkyria Chronicles is required. Eternal Sonata is an excellent choice as well.

Moving away from RPGs and looking at PS3 exclusives, I'm surprised nobody has suggested getting the first two Uncharted games yet. Play the trilogy in order! Heavenly Sword is a great title as well. A lot of folks like God of War (not my kind of game, but it's there). The Ratchet & Clank titles are solid. Metal Gear Solid 4 is a great title if you don't mind watching half the time. :p

Some quality JRPGs are on the way fairly soon:

Final Fantasy XIII-2 (January 31)
Tales of Graces F (March 7)
Ni No Kuni (2012)
Tales of Xilia (2012?)

Forewarning, the NIS turn-based RPGS like Trinity universe, cross edge, and hyperdimension neptunia are not as good as people would lead you to believe. In fact, in my opinion, they're terrible, and not worth even $30 (which most of them are about that price). On the other hand, the PS3 version of Eternal Sonata is a great game, and it's much more difficult than the 360 version.

Atelier Totori was pretty amazing in my opinion. Atelier Rorona was pretty good too, but if you only play one, pick Totori. If you're going to play both, definitely play Rorona first otherwise you might not like it as much as you normally would have due to all the improvements in Totori.

I enjoyed Cross Edge and Neptunia, but they definitely aren't for everyone.

[quote name='Gden']Forewarning, the NIS turn-based RPGS like Trinity universe, cross edge, and hyperdimension neptunia are not as good as people would lead you to believe. In fact, in my opinion, they're terrible, and not worth even $30 (which most of them are about that price). On the other hand, the PS3 version of Eternal Sonata is a great game, and it's much more difficult than the 360 version.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, those are definitely niche RPGs...

Another vote for Valkyria Chronicles. Lovable game, really. Disgaea 3 and 4 deserve some attention, too (one or the other, not necessarily both).

Though others may disagree, I suggest staying away from White Knight Chronicles, both of them - passable stories and the VO work will test your patience.

bread's done
Back