new to PS3 world...what should i start with?

themightypencil

CAGiversary!
Feedback
44 (100%)
Hey everyone!

I'm going to be getting my hands (FINALLY!) on a ps3 in the next few days. What exclusives should I start with/what should be the first game i grab? 3d Dot Heroes looks great to me, as does GoW 3, having played the previous 2 on my ps2....any help is appreciated!

I have almost every PS3 exclusive available on Blu-Ray here in the US, minus sports games and RPGs, and I have yet to find one I didn't like. Some are better than others, like Uncharted and God of War, but they're all good games. I haven't played 3D Dot Game Heroes very much, but it seems fun so far.

though i suggest taking my opinion with a grain of salt...

Spelunker is the most fun game ive played on the ps3 =\, and one of the few games past the trophies i have played countless times

I also greatly enjoyed lost planet 2, unlike most people

I would suggest though just jumping on the playstation store and downloading a bunch of demos

maybe the mods should do a sticky for this topic that way anytime somone new wants some info on good games to get they can look there.

^ I suggested it before, but it went nowhere... we really need a "I just got a PS3" sticky thread.

Definitely start with the Uncharted series. They're the best games on the system. Metal Gear Solid 4 is good if you're a fan of the rest of the series.

Depends on what type of games you really enjoy as to what you should play. The Uncharted games are good, GoW3 is more of the previous, but still good, Little Big Planet is fun with others, also Pixel Junk Shooter was a blast to play with my daughter.

A great idea is to get on the playstation store and download any demos that look interesting. There are some great PSN exclusive titles that are available for purchase on the online store. Make sure to check the Special Offers section under New Releases every week after tuesday night, there's usually quite a few games on sale there. If you like online multiplayer, Fat Princess is a great exclusive. But that's all digital download stuff.
For your first disc-based game, it depends on how much you're willing to spend, and whether you want brand new games or older ones. Also whether you like single player, or online multi-player.
-->Single Player: Heavy Rain (dramatic), Infamous (cheap n cool), (any) Ratchet & Clank game (cheap n fun)
-->Multiplayer (online only): Mag (newer+256 players), Socom (realistic and better than people and reviews say+ REALLY cheap!!), Warhawk (classic PS3, really fun, also really cheap)
Resistance, Resistance 2 also have great single player modes and awesome multiplayer as well, and both are pretty cheap now.
Also Resistance 2 and Warhawk are two of the only PS3 shooters that have split-screen online multiplayer, if you plan on playing with friends.
Demon's Souls, Uncharted series, Little Big Planet, all great too. Too many great choices. :)
Gamestop Power Saver deals right now: Resistance 2 $13.49, Socom $6.49!, Unreal Tournament, $4.49, Demons Souls $29.99, 3D DGH $29.99.

It depends on your interests....

If you like RPGs I would recommend these games:
1. Demon Souls
2. 3D dot game heroes
3. Valkyria Chronicles

If you're more interested in shooters/adventure i would recommend:
1. Uncharted
2. MAG (online only)
3. Metal Gear Solid 4
4. Heavy Rain

I also think that you should check out some demos on PlayStation Store

I highly suggest you start with the game I did, Metal Gear Solid 4. I don't care what anyone says, it sucks at the begining but that game is frucking amazing!

After that, God of War III, (also 1 and II in hd), Little Big Planet, Uncharted and Uncharted 2. Resistence 1 and 2. I also hear heavy rain is great and I hear good things about demon souls, but the difficulty is infuriating...

Happy Gaming

Bad Company 2 is great as well, but multiplat, so I don't know if you are interested...

[quote name='lokizz']maybe the mods should do a sticky for this topic that way anytime somone new wants some info on good games to get they can look there.[/QUOTE]

+1

I know new games come out all the time, but one of these threads seems to pop up every two weeks or so. It is very difficult to not be sarcastic when replying...

Demon's Souls
Uncharted 2 (rent Uncharted 1 so you'll know who's who but definitely buy Uncharted 2)
Battlefield: Bad Company 2 (SKIP Modern Warfare 2)
Super Street Fighter IV
Valkyria Chronicles
LittleBigPlanet (I say wait for LBP2 but I bet you can find someone selling it around $10-$15 on CAG)
MotorStorm: Pacific Rift
Tekken 6

I just got one recently too, heres what I ended up getting (tried to stick to 20$ or less, since there were plenty available for that price)

infamous
uncharted
Folklore
Little big planet goty
motorstorm
valkyria chronicles
resistance
resistance 2

they all seem good for what I have played so far (although I only finished infamous and resistance so far, working on folklore)

I'm thinking of jumping on the bandwagon too.

Here's what Interests me:

GoW 1 & 2 Collection (Never played them)
GoW 3
Heavy Rain
Yakuza 3
3D Dot Game Heroes
Last Rebellion
Cross Edge
Trinity Universe
Valkria Chronicles
White Knight Chronicles

Is Scott Pilgrim online?

Also, where can you buy cheap HDMI and Component cables?

Demon's Souls

Just kidding. Uncharted 1&2 at the absolute minimum. Then just go down the list of exclusives according to your tastes. Lots of good recommendations in here already.

Yea...thanks guys (and gals if it applies)!..i never thought i'd get this many responses! I've read and heard about alot of these games, but only trust magazine reviews so far...that's why i like to get opinions from fellow CAGs. I"ll most likely take a look at the Uncharted series, as this seems to be the unanimous vote...followed up by demon's souls (i like rpgs that'll make me feel like i'm a newbie gamer), and go from there.

My last question would be, i'm lookin at the 120 gb system...and as I'm reading stuff online, i'm seeing reports of how it is hard to sync up with non-Sony TVs, can't get the 1080p to work, etc...but these are all posts from like a year ago. Has the system become more reliable and user friendly, or are these kinks still there? should i look at a different model?

stay away from infamous no matter what they tell you. Its repetitive and boring and its repetive and boring. lol.

also uncharted 2 is the best along with mgs4

as far as your question goes, try updating the firmware and checking your video settings

Picked up a PS3 with Heavy Rain. Downloading Final Fight and Zen Pinball

I plan on getting:

Scott Pilgrim
Motorstorm (Depending on Demo)
Valkyria Chronicles (Depending on Demo)
Bullet Hell shooters on PSN

3D Dot Game Heroes
Last Rebellion
Trinity Universe
Yakuza 3
Katamari Forever
Cross Edge
God of War 1-2, 3

Anything else?
I'm into mostly RPGs (no SRPGs), and easy action games.
How are the NIS RPGs?

[quote name='2DMention']Picked up a PS3 with Heavy Rain. Downloading Final Fight and Zen Pinball

I plan on getting:

Scott Pilgrim
Motorstorm (Depending on Demo)
Valkyria Chronicles (Depending on Demo)
Bullet Hell shooters on PSN

3D Dot Game Heroes
Last Rebellion
Trinity Universe
Yakuza 3
Katamari Forever
Cross Edge
God of War 1-2, 3

Anything else?
I'm into mostly RPGs (no SRPGs), and easy action games.
How are the NIS RPGs?[/QUOTE]

Folklore! Awesomely underrated little rpg with real time battles

I would def. start with Uncharted 1 and then play Uncharted 2. Uncharted 1 kind of sucks though, pretty ok, but then Uncharted 2 blows everything out of the water.

I just finished playing through Uncharted and had a great time; new PS3 owners should definitely check it out, despite the game's flaws. Now I'm anticipating getting Uncharted 2 and seeing just how much better it is. :)

As for other recommendations, everyone's covered a lot of titles so I'll throw in a couple PSN puzzle favorites of mine:

Shatter - this was first thing I bought with my latest PSN card, and its soundtrack (what a soundtrack!), unique take on the Breakout formula and the futuristic atmosphere make it worth getting in my view. IGN's review called it one of the best puzzle games of this generation, and while I'm not a huge huge puzzle guy, I can see why they'd say such a thing.
Critter Crunch - super-addictive, great art direction and good fun. The later levels are a real challenge, though, so don't let the presentation fool you. I've seen this game recommended many times over in the "Wife Gaming" thread, too, if that's important to you. heh

Not beleiving the hype on Heavy Rain so far...I mean, getting my kid to eat at 6:00 pm isn't doing it for me...I hope it picks up.

bread's done
Back