New to the PSP scene, some questions about custom firmware

Moxio

CAGiversary!
Feedback
11 (100%)
Hello. I recently got a PSP as a gift and, therefore, am new to the whole PSP deal.

I have some questions, though, regarding all this custom firmware I've heard so much about. If any of this breaks the rules, mods please say so. Members, feel free to PM me the juicy details. :lol:

Anyways, all I've done so far is update it to 2.00 and then downgrade to 1.50. I've head that from there you can go to 3.71? Is 3.71 the "best" version out right now? If not, what is?

What I'm using is the USB wire and I'm in the process of obtaining a larger card.

Once I get the best firmware, will I be able to use emus? I've heard there are emulators for, like, PlayStation one games and SNES games and stuff. Is it true? Is it illegal to talk about emulation on the PSP? :lol: In regards to the PSone emulation, I've heard it's possible thru a PS3? I don't have a PS3 so am I SOL?

Thanks so much to whoever can answer these.

Not sure which version is the best since I haven't been checking the homebrew scene for a long, long time, but as far as emulators go, there is a PS1 emulator as well as SNES and a bunch of others.
psp.qj.net should have all the files/info you need, that's what I used when I was into homebrew awhile ago

Yeah I've been checking qj.net quite a bit; I downgraded using their guide. Right now I'm just trying to see which firmware I should eventually get to for the "maximum capability". Snooping around, I think it's 3.71 or something.

Is the PS1 emu standalone? Like, it doesn't need the PS3 or anything?

Oh, and could someone explain the whole -mm2 or -mm3 dealio?

Lolthx

There is already a PS1 emulator built into the Sony, and therefore custom, firmwares. You don't need a PS3 if you own the PS1 games.

[quote name='Moxio']Awesome. So I would, what, have to rip them to ISOs and then put them on my PSP?[/QUOTE]

You first have to rip them to ISOs then use a program like the one I linked to below to make them into a PSP compatible file. Then you just have to put the created eboot.pbp into it's own folder (called whatever you want) and place that folder into the GAME folder on your PSP.

http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/IceTea/1170088096/1

This list will tell you which games work and which have problems, but it's not entirely accurate so I would still suggest trying every game you want to play.
http://www.gamerspress.com/index.php?title=PSX_on_PSP_Compatibility_List#R

As a side note I'd like to mention that playing any commercial SNES, Genesis, or any other cartridge game is always illegal (because cartridge dumping is illegal), but emulating PS1 or any other CD-based games is legal if you own the game and rip it yourself.

are you on a phat PSP??

the latest CFW is catering more towards the slim PSP which cannot run homebrew using the 1.5 kernel

so for phat PSP you install a seperate plugin that re-enables 1.5 ability for running homebrew programs

Hmm, 3.71 sounds like a little bit of trouble for a first timer. If you read everything thoroughly, it shouldn't be a problem. Of course you would probably have to go this route if you want to play the newly released games right away.

Other than 3.71, Dark Alez's 3.40 (OE-C I believe) was what I installed first. It was a very stable and compatible firmware. I updated to 3.52 M33 next. It is also a very good firmware, though probably not quite as stable as DA's 3.40. I updated so I could be compatible with the new revision of Irshell, which is a multitasking app that allows you to play your own mp3s in game and such. I'm not sure if Irshell is compatible with 3.71 or not.

Those are probably the two other best firmwares from what I can remember. Just know, it's usually not too difficult to switch firmwares, especially with M33's simplified installer.

Hope all that made sense :lol:

I've got a launch date PSP phat and I recently upgraded to 3.52 M33 from 3.40 OE-A and it runs everything I've thrown at it so far.

I was going to upgrade to 3.71 but the 1.5 kernel stuff seemed too confusing to screw around with unless I was trying to run something specific.

[quote name='JEKKI']are you on a phat PSP??

the latest CFW is catering more towards the slim PSP which cannot run homebrew using the 1.5 kernel

so for phat PSP you install a seperate plugin that re-enables 1.5 ability for running homebrew programs[/QUOTE]

Yeah I'm on a fat PSP.

[quote name='mick16']I've got a launch date PSP phat and I recently upgraded to 3.52 M33 from 3.40 OE-A and it runs everything I've thrown at it so far.

I was going to upgrade to 3.71 but the 1.5 kernel stuff seemed too confusing to screw around with unless I was trying to run something specific.[/QUOTE]

Does the 3.52 m33 run PSX and SNES and whatnot? If so, I might right stick with 3.52 then

[quote name='primetime']Other than 3.71, Dark Alez's 3.40 (OE-C I believe) was what I installed first. It was a very stable and compatible firmware. I updated to 3.52 M33 next. It is also a very good firmware, though probably not quite as stable as DA's 3.40.[/QUOTE]

Dark Alex and Team M33 are the same person, so there's no reason why any of the M33 firmwares would be less stable than 3.40 OE.

[quote name='Moxio']Thanks mick.

So what are the main differences between 352 and 371? 352 looks pretty good to me.[/QUOTE]

Sony's official 3.70 added support for custom themes so 3.71 M33 supports themes without using complex plugins that can damage your system if you don't know what you're doing. Also 3.71 M33-4 added support for multi disc PS1 games in a single file (which is required for any PS1 game that doesn't allow you to save before switching discs).

[quote name='PenguinMaster']Dark Alex and Team M33 are the same person, so there's no reason why any of the M33 firmwares would be less stable than 3.40 OE.

Sony's official 3.70 added support for custom themes so 3.71 M33 supports themes without using complex plugins that can damage your system if you don't know what you're doing. Also 3.71 M33-4 added support for multi disc PS1 games in a single file (which is required for any PS1 game that doesn't allow you to save before switching discs).[/QUOTE]

also some of the new games now require the 3.71 firmware.

i m waiting for 3.80 to come out already bc they have some nice themes for that firmware already.

[quote name='PenguinMaster']Dark Alex and Team M33 are the same person, so there's no reason why any of the M33 firmwares would be less stable than 3.40 OE.
[/quote]

Well some of his firmwares were more stable than his others. I think 3.40 is widely regarded as his most stable.

Well I finally received my 4gb card so I upgraded to 3.80 M33-4 with the 1.50 kernel add-on.

Now I'm trying to add some emulators and games. Any help? I add the snes emu to the x:/psp/game/ section, but when I check it on the card on the PSP, I just get corrupted data.

Help plz?

emulator talk is discouraged here, but if I was to put those somewhere, I'd put them in X:/PSP/GAME150. That's where mine would be, if I was using one that ran on 1.50 kernel. Yours might be different, if you were using one that didn't use 1.5 kernel. Are there two folders? One with a normal name, one with a % on the end? If so, you should probably go with GAME150.

[quote name='mick16']I've got a launch date PSP phat and I recently upgraded to 3.52 M33 from 3.40 OE-A and it runs everything I've thrown at it so far.

I was going to upgrade to 3.71 but the 1.5 kernel stuff seemed too confusing to screw around with unless I was trying to run something specific.[/QUOTE]

I'm the same. 3.52 is all I've needed and I've had a PSP since April.

It was an easy upgrade as well.

[quote name='Moxio']No emulator talk, eh?

Very well. I figured it out, though. :)[/QUOTE]

I would imagine emulator talk would be fine, but ROM talk would not. Emulators are not illegal, many sites have been up for a long time but they don't speak of ROMs there.

[quote name='Moxio']Now I'm trying to add some emulators and games. Any help? I add the snes emu to the x:/psp/game/ section, but when I check it on the card on the PSP, I just get corrupted data.

Help plz?[/QUOTE]

Go into recovery mode (power on the PSP while holding down the R button). From there, select 'Configuration' and choose 1.50 kernel for Game folder homebrew.

How do you get your PSX games from your computer to your memory stick? Do I need another device for that or can I plug my PSP into my comptuer? Maybe this question would answer itself but I don't have my PSP yet...

[quote name='Moxio']Is ROMs talk illegal if you have the games IRL? Like ripping PSX games to the PSP?[/QUOTE]

It's perfectly fine to rip your own retail PS1 games for personal use but that probably won't stop CAG mods from deleting this thread anyway. There seems to be an unreasonable amount of paranoia here towards talk of ANYTHING homebrew related, regardless if it's legal or not.

ZForce, you need a utility that'll rip your legit PS1 games and convert them so they'll be playable on your PSP. I don't know much about those (I've got a Mac, so I only use Prometeus), but I guess this one is good. And you don't have to worry about connecting your PSP to your PC if you've got a USB card reader:

http://pspslimhacks.com/impaler-multi-psx-eboot-creator-updated/

Posted this in another thread but figured i should try here to.
im gonna get a psp soon should i get a slim one? I know eventually were getting skype and they said only the 2000 model can support it Is my only option pandoras battery to put a custom firmware on it. And also when new games come out that require a higher firmware version do i need to wait for a custom one to be released to update succesfully.

bread's done
Back