New TV (Bravia) + Reciever (Onkyo) + Newly Resurrected Xbox = Confusing... Need Help!

nmon3447

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
My family has just recently purchased a sony 52 (KDL-52XBR4) Bravia that is capable of displaying full hd of 1080p. Prior to getting the set, we already had an Onkyo TX-SR674 receiver that can also output 1080p i believe but back then, our set was only capable of 1080i.

I want to be able to fully capitalize on the 1080p resolution my new set has to offer through my xbox360 and i need help in accomplishing this the best way. My xbox 360 has been sent in for repairs and should come back to me this Monday. Now, i dont know if it has HDMI slot but if it does then the problem would be solved and i would use HDMI and hook it up directly on the onkyo receiver. The problem starts when the new xbox 360 they sent me does not support HDMI. I am not particularly versed in this technology so if you can explain your reasonings i would greatly appreciate it. Without further ado, my questions are:

1. If i hook up my Xbox360 through the Onkyo receiver using the HD Component Cable, will my TV be able to recognize the 360 as 1080p compatible?

2. What is the VGA cable and is it worth buying for my new set?

3. Is component VGA better than component for the 360 and my new TV and how i assume i would need to change resolutions if i did use VGA so how would i do this and what resolution should i use?

Again these are just my concerns and thanks in advance for the reply. I am waiting anxiously for my Xbox to meet the newest member of our entertainment system.

1. If i hook up my Xbox360 through the Onkyo receiver using the HD Component Cable, will my TV be able to recognize the 360 as 1080p compatible?

3. Is component VGA better than component for the 360 and my new TV and how i assume i would need to change resolutions if i did use VGA so how would i do this and what resolution should i use?

Again these are just my concerns and thanks in advance for the reply. I am waiting anxiously for my Xbox to meet the newest member of our entertainment system.[/QUOTE]

I have the onkyo 805, god I love onkyo.

1. If your receiver/tv have the capabilities, then YES it will be able to do 1080p.

2. The vga cable should have come with your 360, but then you will need another pair, audio and video cables, should run you around 80 total, to go from the receiver to the tv.

3. The resolutions will need to be set on the 360, Im not sure about the older models of the onkyo, but I have never touched the upconversion or hdmi settings except to designate what output they are.

Hopefully that helps out, if you have any questions let me know in PM and I can hopefully guide you through some steps.

Again these are just my concerns and thanks in advance for the reply. I am waiting anxiously for my Xbox to meet the newest member of our entertainment system.[/QUOTE]

I have the onkyo 805, god I love onkyo.

1. If your receiver/tv have the capabilities, then YES it will be able to do 1080p.

2. The vga cable should have come with your 360, but then you will need another pair, audio and video cables, should run you around 80 total, to go from the receiver to the tv.

3. The resolutions will need to be set on the 360, Im not sure about the older models of the onkyo, but I have never touched the upconversion or hdmi settings except to designate what output they are.

Hopefully that helps out, if you have any questions let me know in PM and I can hopefully guide you through some steps.

Hi thanks for the quick reply. I didnt even know the my Onkyo has VGA hehe i was thinking of just going through the tv using vga and using optical out through the receiver for the sound but it seems like your idea is better so i can use the receiver as a device selector. Are there any downsides to using VGA over component?

What I'd do is use your receiver to output video to your t.v. From the specs page, the receiver does upconverting to HDMI, so it'll take your component input from the 360. You'll hook up the component video to the receiver and either use an optical audio cable to the receiver or use the audio connections on the 360's component cables.

Even if you get an HDMI capable 360 back, I'd use the component cables because otherwise you'll need to buy an HDMI cable from MS to get audio out. That's what I do - I use component video + optical audio through my receiver. The hard part will be configuring your receiver, but even that'll be easy.

Are there any downsides to using VGA over component?
Forget the VGA out, etc. Simplify it all by using the A/V receiver to handle all the inputs/outputs. That's what it's for, after all. :) The downside is that you'll need to switch the input on your t.v. to VGA and the input on the receiver to the 360. It's really a pain in the ass unless you program a macro on a universal remote.

[quote name='torifile']What I'd do is use your receiver to output video to your t.v. From the specs page, the receiver does upconverting to HDMI, so it'll take your component input from the 360. You'll hook up the component video to the receiver and either use an optical audio cable to the receiver or use the audio connections on the 360's component cables.

Even if you get an HDMI capable 360 back, I'd use the component cables because otherwise you'll need to buy an HDMI cable from MS to get audio out. That's what I do - I use component video + optical audio through my receiver. The hard part will be configuring your receiver, but even that'll be easy.

Forget the VGA out, etc. Simplify it all by using the A/V receiver to handle all the inputs/outputs. That's what it's for, after all. :) The downside is that you'll need to switch the input on your t.v. to VGA and the input on the receiver to the 360. It's really a pain in the ass unless you program a macro on a universal remote.[/quote]

from monoprice, hdmi cables are hella cheap.. depending on the distance needed.. i dont get how it would be a hassle to get another hdmi cable..

Get a 360 with an hdmi in the back, or the adapter from madcatz, you wont regret it trust me.

[quote name='Ice2Dragon']from monoprice, hdmi cables are hella cheap.. depending on the distance needed.. i dont get how it would be a hassle to get another hdmi cable..

Get a 360 with an hdmi in the back, or the adapter from madcatz, you wont regret it trust me.[/QUOTE]
You're right, actually. My receiver doesn't have HDMI so I have to use component to get audio. Sorry about that. If you get an HDMI version, use an HDMI cable (a $5 one will work) to carry your audio and video and you're done. Screw the VGA stuff. If you have to use component, you'll have to do what I do.

you need to verify the resolutions supported by your TV via VGA. My plasma has a VGA input, but the max resolution I can get is 1024 x 768. bleh. Ideally your TV should be able to support 1920 x 1080. Check the owner's manual before buying the cable.

[quote name='GamerChris']you need to verify the resolutions supported by your TV via VGA. My plasma has a VGA input, but the max resolution I can get is 1024 x 768. bleh. Ideally your TV should be able to support 1920 x 1080. Check the owner's manual before buying the cable.[/QUOTE]
Why would he want to use VGA over HDMI? That's just silly. An extra cable to buy, an extra input to manage, an extra step in the switching over process. VGA is a legacy technology that needs to be put to bed.

bread's done
Back