New Wii owner looking for the best Gamecube games

blueboy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
I just purchased a Wii, and I never owned a Gamecube, so I'm looking to pickup a few of the best Gamecube games that I missed out on to play on my Wii.

Any suggestions? What are your favorites that still stand out as great games? I just got Metroid Prime 2 at Target for 9.99 to start my collection. F-Zero sounds interesting as well, so I'm on the lookout for that one.

Thanks!

Geist is pretty good. Very original. As long as you can take the no voice and the fact it was made by the former developers of Mary Kate and Ashlie games.

Mario Sunshine is super fun. Luigis mansion is surprisingly fun just short.

Fire Emblem is a must buy if you like turn based strategy.

Battalion Wars is great. Watch some videos to determine if its your kind of game.

Resident Evil 4 and Resident Evil 1 remake

Resident Evil 4
Metroid Prime
Metroid Prime 2
Zelda Wind Waker
Super Mario Sunshine
Animal Crossing

Those should keep you busy for a while!

Thanks for the suggestions. Any thoughts on Super Mario Strikers? Was thinking about hitting Circuit City in the morning for it at 16.99

Baten Kaitos
Metal Gear Solid Twin Snakes
Chibi Robo
Custom Robo
Mario Kart Double Dash
Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door
Ikaruga (if you can find it)
Skies of Arcadia Legends

pick up strikes for 17, I COMPLETLY recommend it. I bought a copy about a month ago and my friends and I have yet to take it out of the cube. Is it amazing in single player but multiplayer is where it truly shines.

I see no point in buying Mario Soccer when the Wii version will be out shortly..

F-Zero is a must have through.

And we should make this a sticky.

Everything has been said pretty much.
Eternal Darkness
Resident Evils
Viewtiful Joes
Zelda Wind Waker
MGS
Metroid Prime
Star Wars Rogue Squadron

Eternal Darkness
Skies of Arcadia Legends

I'd say these two are must plays, probably my two favorites on the Gamecube.

Pikmin 2

Kinda surprised no one else has mentioned Pikmin yet, it's a really fun game.

If you're into music games, Donkey Konga is fun and can be found pretty cheap now. I recommend 1 over 2, the songs were more fun to play.

I don't know if I'd spend the money for games like Mario Kart and Animal Crossing even though they are good games, since there's already the DS versions (assuming you have a DS, which may not be true) and inevitably there will be Wii versions coming out, I'd imagine relatively early in the system's life. And the N64 version of Mario Kart will be on the VC, which I thought was more fun than the GC version.

Here is your top 5 MUST HAVES!

Wind Waker
Fire Emblem: POR
Luigis Mansion
Mario Sunshine
Super Smash Bros Melee

And I suggest Super Monkey Ball and Animal Crossing as well (If you havent played the DS version.)

Congrats on the Wii! These are in no particular order, although Baten Kaitos is my favorite GCN title:

Baten Kaitos
Super Smash Bros. Melee
Metroid Prime
Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker
Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
Resident Evil 4
Mario Kart: Double Dash
Pikmin 1 & 2
Animal Crossing
Tales of Symphonia

Wow, this has been a great help. I went to the Gamestop sale this morning and was able to get the following:

Batallion Wars (brand new)
Paper mario
Super Smash Bros Melee
Mario Sunshine
WarioWorld (looks like this may have been a bad call)
Luigi's mansion
Animal Crossing

all for $80. I might see if I can exchange WarioWorld for one of the other recommendations above.

[quote name='blueboy']Wow, this has been a great help. I went to the Gamestop sale this morning and was able to get the following:

Batallion Wars (brand new)
Paper mario
Super Smash Bros Melee
Mario Sunshine
Luigi's mansion
Animal Crossing

all for $80. I might see if I can exchange WarioWorld for one of the other recommendations above.[/QUOTE]

Wario World isn't a bad game, just not one that I would recommend in a list of top games. Speaking of which, here is a short list of recommendations:

Multiplayer:

Super Smash Bros. Melee
WarioWare Inc.
Gauntlet: Dark Legacy
Mario Power Tennis
Smugger's Run: Warzones
Star Wars Rogue Squadron III
Super Monkey Ball 2
Phantasy Star Online I&II Plus

Single Player:

Star Wars Rogue Squadron II
Viewtiful Joe
Zelda: Wind Waker
Pikmin (and Pikmin 2)
F-Zero GX

Mario Cart Double Dash
Zelda Windwaker
Zelda Classics
Viewtiful Joe (1 and 2) --- probaby my favorite game on the cube
Tales of Symphona (if you are into RPG's)
Paper Mario
Pikman (1 and 2)
Animal Crossing (look at reviews first - very unusual game, but exellent)

I think F Zero is over rated. Battalion Wars, and Fire Emblem are okay, but not better than the above. Skies of Arcadia Legends is good, but has dated graphics.

Baten Kaitos is one of my favorites, but I can see it as a nitch game.

I hate Baten Kaitos. It is a beautiful game, BUT is VERY shallow and hopelessly generic. Do keep and try Wario World, its a fun game with a classic sidescroller/item collecting feel and was made by Treasure. Pretty good stuff, especially on the cheap. Other games you might want to try:

Eternal Darkness - dark and creepy and really engaging
Paper Mario - a super fun RPG especially if you are into Mario
Mario Golf - logged in MANY hours into this.
Pikmen 1 & 2 - 1 has a better overall one player game, but 2 has a great multiplayer mode
Animal Crossing - addictive for a good while. You just bum around town and collect things but its very engrossing nontheless
Zelda Wind Waker - has kiddy graphics and some pathetic sailing but the rest of the game is pure gold
Fire Emblem - addictive turn based strategy game. Get it if you played/enjoyed Advance Wars. IMO this is better.
Resident Evil 4 - doh. Doesnt even need to be said... a must own.
Luigis Mansion - one of my fav titles. It was the perfect length and just original enough to make it really fun.
Ikaruga - brutal shooter but REALLY fun

Im probably going to be flamed for this one but...
Star Fox Adventures. IF you like Rare games that were collect em all fests (Banjo Kazooie, etc) then you owe it to yourself to atleast try the game. Sure, it is slow in places, but for a platformer, it was a nice title with gorgeous graphics. The fur physics were especially nice back in da day. It might not have held up well but loved it when it first came out. Paid 50 for it and didnt regret it really.

[quote name='blueboy']
.[/QUOTE]

You found Wario World? I always wanted that game because I'm a huge Wario fan.

And WarioWare Inc. is a great game, but it's the same thing as the first GBA game.

And I hate Eternal Darkness with a passion like no other and I get flamed for that opinion everytime.

[quote name='kittycatgirl2k']
Zelda Wind Waker - has kiddy graphics and some pathetic sailing but the rest of the game is pure gold
[/QUOTE]

blasphemer, the graphics are gorgeous. The first time you see the full cel-shaded village gleam in the sunlight you wanna shed a tear.

[quote name='David85']You found Wario World? I always wanted that game because I'm a huge Wario fan.

And WarioWare Inc. is a great game, but it's the same thing as the first GBA game.[/QUOTE]

Find it, then. It's not hard to, and if you're a big Wario fan it's a decent enough game.

The GC WarioWare does have the same minigames, but it has a boatload of multiplayer modes and multiplayer minigames added.

Zelda: WW has great graphics.

And yes, StarFox Adventures is a poor imitation of Zelda. There are a lot of games I'd pick over that one, even a lot in the same genre.

How about starfox assault ? My son likes that at the store demo. Is starfox adventure the same kind of game because I see it got better reviews. Mickey

[quote name='mickeyp']How about starfox assault ? My son likes that at the store demo. Is starfox adventure the same kind of game because I see it got better reviews. Mickey[/quote]starfox assault is great for the flying missions, on foot ones are extremely clunky and unsatisfying, if you're more into an action rpg star fox adventures is for you, i pretty much describe the game as legend of fox

and if you're thinking getting some VC titles, check first if they have some GameCube collections like Sonic Mega Collection, MegaMan Collection, etc. since they've got classic games compiled in one disc. and most of the time they're on clearance.

A few more good games that haven't been mentioned yet:

Mario Golf
Mario Superstar Baseball
Prince of Persia : Sand of Time
Legend of Zelda : Four Swords Adventures

mario baseball is a broken game. you can bunt and get hits, because the computer always has trouble selecting which person you should be. sucks. sucks bad. Oh, and Prince of Persia: Sand of Time is probably my favorite game. also, kind of shocked no one has really mentioned Resident Evil 4. Star Fox Assault is a fun game, but its really short. could definitely be beaten as rental. Mario Tennis is a fun multi game as well.

Mario Golf is a good game too, though I haven't played it in a while. I'm trying to imagine that game with the Wii Sports golf controls. Mmmmm, goodness... You know it is coming at some point, anyway (Wii Mario Golf that is).

I second the Rogue Squadron games - still pretty much my favorite GC games (except the on foot missions in the second one). I loved Fire Emblem, Paper Mario. I just started playing Batallion Wars - it can be fairly challenging. I thought Star Fox Assault was excellent - don't let all the haters get to you. If your son liked the demo, the game is pretty much like that - yes, there are some on foot portions that aren't as good, but they aren't that bad either (like the ones in the Star Wars game). I might not have recommended it at $50, but at $20 or less it is definitely worth it.

Let's see, some others: Pikmin and Pikmin 2, Super Mario Sunshine (I still like this WAY better than Mario 64, which I'm playing on VC right now - most people prefer 64 because they played it as a kid or something. Since I missed it and played Sunshine first I think Mario 64 is a pale imitation ;)).

Meh, there's plenty of others, but you've got some good ones to start with.

Before I saw this thread I was wondering what Wii sales would do for GC software sales. Looks like, in this case, it is helping. Chalk up another genius point for Nintendo.

I just got Pikmin , it seems very cute. I wasn't that thrilled with starfox adventures, I think I am going to return that. I also got Rocky. If I wasn't that happy with SF adventures do u think we would like zelda windwakers?( is it easier, harder,similar) Mickey

I am also thinking ogf getting Luigis mansion(what is a good price) and wario world.

Mickey

I dont suggest Wario World...I played it, beat it in a day, and didn't really enjoy it much. Its similar to Pacman for the PS1... I guess if you like that type, Mario Sunshine is a much better platformer in my opinion. Monkey Ball rocks though, and I Wanna try Star fox adventures yet. I think you'd still like Wind Waker though

[quote name='mickeyp']I just got Pikmin , it seems very cute. I wasn't that thrilled with starfox adventures, I think I am going to return that. I also got Rocky. If I wasn't that happy with SF adventures do u think we would like zelda windwakers?( is it easier, harder,similar) Mickey

I am also thinking ogf getting Luigis mansion(what is a good price) and wario world.

Mickey[/QUOTE]

Zelda:WW is a vastly superior game to StarFox Adventures and I'd recommend it to everyone and anyone really.

Wario World is pretty average, but it's much better than (as someone mentioned) the crap that is Pac-Man World (and 2 and 3).

Luigi's Mansion is decent and you should be able to get it for a decent price (less than $15 new, even less used). It has more or less absolutely no replay value, but it's fun going through the first time.

BEYOND GOOD AND EVIL! Easily the most overlooked "great" game on any last-gen consoles. It's a cryin', goddamned shame that this title didn't do better because if there was any title that deserved it, it was BEYOND GOOD AND EVIL.
It's by the makers of Rayman: Raving Rabbits and King Kong, so it's not like the developers haven't done anything worthwhile since. The game is basically as close as you can get to Metal Gear Solid meets The Legend of Zelda: The Ocarine of Time as you can comfortably get.

9/10: IGN - http://cube.ign.com/articles/440/440088p1.html

Ultimately, for all its similarities to Zelda, this is where Beyond Good & Evil finds its own ground. Not only does it avoid many of the frustrations of the games it draws from (and yes, that includes Zelda's flat story and tedious item-chasing), but it is pierced throughout with humor, intelligence, and humanity. While it's over a bit before you'd want it to be, Beyond Good & Evil tells its story with amazing pizzazz and polish. Even better, it's a story well worth telling.

BGE_ART_02.jpg

01.jpg

so all the must haves have been said. are there any other GC titles we should take a look at? Im planning on getting a wii when it somehow becomes more available and beisdes the must haves are there any personal favorites among you guys?

if you live in an area where there are tons of clearance, i suggest looking at their reviews, etc. that way you get to enjoy more out of the wii.

I picked up Zelda: Windwaker and SSBM during the TRU B2G1 pre-Wii. Haven't played WW (as I'm mid-TP), but SSBM is pretty good.

My gf picked me up Resident Evil 4, can't wait to play.

If you're getting component cables for connecting to an HDTV, you might want to steer clear of games that do not offer 480p output. Of the games mentioned in this thread, the only one I noticed that does not do 480p output is Tales of Symphonia.

Keep the suggestions coming. I recently got rid of all my game systems except the cube. Now I am looking for good games that I never tried. Seems like a good time to find some good/great deals.

So far my shopping list is:

BEYOND GOOD AND EVIL!
Starfox Assault
Paper Mario
Zelda Wind Waker
Fire Emblem – Path radiance
Ikaruga
Viewtiful Joe (1 and 2)
Tales of Symphona
WarioWare Inc.
Gauntlet: Dark Legacy
Skies of Arcadia
Pikmin

[quote name='kittycatgirl2k']
Im probably going to be flamed for this one but...
Star Fox Adventures. IF you like Rare games that were collect em all fests (Banjo Kazooie, etc) then you owe it to yourself to atleast try the game. Sure, it is slow in places, but for a platformer, it was a nice title with gorgeous graphics. The fur physics were especially nice back in da day. It might not have held up well but loved it when it first came out. Paid 50 for it and didnt regret it really.[/quote]

i payed $50 for it in the beginning and regretted it completely! hahaha!

Both Pikmin games are fantastic. I'm surprised it hasn't been stressed enough.

Also, where is the mario party love? Basically get whatever one you can find cheap, as they're all very similar, but there's little that beats them as multiplayer games.

But seriously. Pikmin, either one.

Definitely Pikmin (1 for single, 2 for multi)
Paper Mario
Tales
Viewtiful Joe
Alien Hominid
DK Jungle Beat
All the new Resident Evils

You should stay away from Ikaruga and Skies. They get boring fast.

I have Pikmin 2 still sealed. That's why I got rid of all my systems. I had soo many games/systems, that I was buying/trading games instead of playing them. Now I just have the Cube, and me and my son are going to be playing the hell out of it. :bouncy:

My Picks:

Fire Emblem
Ikaruga
Star Wars: Rouge Squadron 2: Rouge Leader
Resident Evil 4
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of time/Master Quest
Skies of Arcadia Legends
Gotcha Force
Teen Titans

i saw Donkey Konga Jungle Beat w/ Controller at TRU tonight, it was on clearance for $10.

pretty sweet price if you tell me. what's sad i bought that 4 months ago for $35.

Try to get Metroid Prime and play it first. Metroid Prime 2... ugh, it's not all that great in comparison. Don't want it to sour you to the first one.

And YES get F-Zero GX, WONDERFUL game that wasn't given any chance or love at all.

aack...the prices on gc games are still rather high even with the wii's release :whistle2:(

[quote name='hohez']Both Pikmin games are fantastic. I'm surprised it hasn't been stressed enough.

Also, where is the mario party love? Basically get whatever one you can find cheap, as they're all very similar, but there's little that beats them as multiplayer games.

But seriously. Pikmin, either one.[/QUOTE]

Mario Party games CHEAP? Good luck! Those things are still outrageously priced. I got MP6 at Sears a few months back for $25 and thought that was a bargain! I keep looking for MP7, but have never found it for less than $35...8(

RD

I have been playing Pikmin 2 for a couple days and it is a very fun game. I have onlt played single player and 2 player battle. Is there a 2 player co-op? I also picked up a few more games:

Chibi-Robo
Geist
Sonic Mega Collection
Sonic Heroes

bread's done
Back