New XBOX 360 Wireless Network Adapter A/B/G/N -- $88 at Amazon

[quote name='KansasFF']I hink you mean't the new A/B/G & N Dual Band. The title makes it sound like the old one.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I just updated the post (can't change title, unfortunately).

Microsoft loves to nickel & dime their customers. Everyone should just setup a bridge connection with their current computer/modem and be done with it. Works the same and is free, the way is SHOULD be in the first place.

[quote name='Ultra Woody']Thanks. I just updated the post (can't change title, unfortunately).[/QUOTE]Yes you can, if you edit your OP and go into Advanced.

I edited it for you, so it should be less confusing now.

Hello everyone, I have a question.

I only have Wireless-G, will this adapter still be better than the old one because of 2 antennas or anything else?

Thanks

[quote name='Ultra Woody']Microsoft loves to nickel & dime their customers. Everyone should just setup a bridge connection with their current computer/modem and be done with it. Works the same and is free, the way is SHOULD be in the first place.[/QUOTE]

How would I do that? How much would it cost?

[quote name='Ultra Woody']Microsoft loves to nickel & dime their customers. Everyone should just setup a bridge connection with their current computer/modem and be done with it. Works the same and is free, the way is SHOULD be in the first place.[/QUOTE]

the 360 should have just had built in wifi like every other console and handheld released in the last 5 years...:roll:

[quote name='the_legend_of_drtre']the 360 should have just had built in wifi like every other console and handheld released in the last 5 years...:roll:[/QUOTE]

I think Microsoft is afraid of having anything built in because of how much the built in HDD in Xbox killed them towards the end of the Xbox's life.

[quote name='NutManIV']I think Microsoft is afraid of having anything built in because of how much the built in HDD in Xbox killed them towards the end of the Xbox's life.[/QUOTE]

wifi is not expensive. M$ just wants money. they charge about for their wifi adapter that you can buy a ds lite for... and that's a game system....with wifi lol.

[quote name='the_legend_of_drtre']wifi is not expensive. M$ just wants money. they charge about for their wifi adapter that you can buy a ds lite for... and that's a game system....with wifi lol.[/QUOTE]

Though to be fair, the DS' built in Wifi isn't exactly high quality stuff.

Can anyone answer me from up there? I don't know why legend is still complaining. Every console and handheld in the last 5 years? Sure, nice face.

[quote name='SMITTYBLAZE']Can anyone answer me from up there? I don't know why legend is still complaining. Every console and handheld in the last 5 years? Sure, nice face.[/QUOTE]

PSP, DS, Wii, PS3 all have built in wifi (with the 20GB launch PS3 being an exception)

so where is he wrong about that?

[quote name='SMITTYBLAZE']Hello everyone, I have a question.

I only have Wireless-G, will this adapter still be better than the old one because of 2 antennas or anything else?

Thanks[/QUOTE]
Yeah, you're not going to notice a difference if you only have a Wireless G router.

[quote name='Edwardo Banaducci']I would actually go for this one if you are looking for a cheap N adapter. I mean it doesn't fit nice and neat on the back of your 360 but it will do everything Microsoft's adapter will at half the price.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=241215[/QUOTE]

I just bought one of these and hooked it up last night. Came to about $42 with shipping. It took me about a half hour to figure out how to set it up (I have a D-Link N router and this is a Linksys), but the download speeds are noticeably faster than I was getting on the G band, especially with Netflix in HD. Works well on the my PS3 too. If aesthetics aren't important to you, this is a nice alternative at this price.

[quote name='NutManIV']Though to be fair, the DS' built in Wifi isn't exactly high quality stuff.[/QUOTE]

umm WAT. it works just as good as any other wifi device.

Everyone SHOULD... but not everyone knows how. If you buy 2 routers that somehow don't work together as base and bridge, now you gotta return it.

Sometimes it's easier for people to just pay the premium for not having to resort to IT crap.

[quote name='the_legend_of_drtre']umm WAT. it works just as good as any other wifi device.[/QUOTE]

It works for what the DS does, yes.

[quote name='the_legend_of_drtre']umm WAT. it works just as good as any other wifi device.[/QUOTE]

i believe he's referring to the fact that it doesn't support WPA encryption, only WEP...which is so weak you're 99% as vulnerable as someone who has no wireless security enabled on your home network... so you'd have to downgrade your encryption for the DS to be compatible with your wireless network...

although I haven't tested this myself, I heard that's the case...

[quote name='confoosious']Everyone SHOULD... but not everyone knows how. If you buy 2 routers that somehow don't work together as base and bridge, now you gotta return it.

Sometimes it's easier for people to just pay the premium for not having to resort to IT crap.[/QUOTE]

I think he was referring to Internet Connection Sharing in Windows, not bridging two routers. ICS is pretty easy to configure, but the downside is that the computer must be on for its connection to be shared.

As for bridging two routers, I also would not begrudge someone for paying a premium to avoid the hassle. My experience in configuring client mode in DD-WRT is that establishing a bridge is a crapshoot. I had to configure the same settings repeatedly before I could establish a connection, and I have to repeat the process each time the router is unplugged. Maybe the ease of setting up client mode depends on the particular build of DD-WRT and the model of the router.

I got the following on sale from Buy.com for $90 (plus $5.50 for shipping)

NETGEAR WNHDEB111 HD/Gaming 5GhZ Wireless-N Networking Kit

I bought it about 2-3 months ago (before XBox had a Wireless N adapter), and I use it to connect my TivoHD, too.

It is a router/gateway and a bridge, essentially (too pieces), so it takes care of you if you don't have a N-router already. It is about $103-$105 from either Buy.com or Amazon right now (free shipping currently at both places).

[quote name='bilbo']I got the following on sale from Buy.com for $90 (plus $5.50 for shipping)

NETGEAR WNHDEB111 HD/Gaming 5GhZ Wireless-N Networking Kit

I bought it about 2-3 months ago (before XBox had a Wireless N adapter), and I use it to connect my TivoHD, too.

It is a router/gateway and a bridge, essentially (too pieces), so it takes care of you if you don't have a N-router already. It is about $103-$105 from either Buy.com or Amazon right now (free shipping currently at both places).
[/QUOTE]

Seems pretty bad ass but it's no good if you already got a wireless-N router.
I'm prolly just going to sell my B/G one and then buy the N one. I've got my N router sitting brand new in the box, waiting for me to get this even thought I should have already for my laptop....

Have you had any problems with that Netgear WNHDEB111 kit? It sounds pretty good. I may pick one up.

EDIT: What the heck... decided to just give it a shot. I'll sell my A/B/G adapter if it works well. Though I decided to order the listing from amazon (as opposed to buy.com on amazon) for a $1 more in order to get my prime 2-day shipping.

[quote name='Mako1215']Seems pretty bad ass but it's no good if you already got a wireless-N router.
I'm prolly just going to sell my B/G one and then buy the N one. I've got my N router sitting brand new in the box, waiting for me to get this even thought I should have already for my laptop....[/QUOTE]

No, that's not true ("that it's no good if you already have a wireless-N router"). I have a G-router (which acts a Gateway, I believe), a N-extender (which is connected via Ethernet to the G-router, is currently just being used by wireless laptops and my upstairs TivoHD). The Netgear WNHDEB111 kit acts sort of like another N-extender (there are wired Ethernet connections from the G-router to the one part of the kit and from my XBox 360 and TivoHD to the other part of the kit). Tivo hasn't released a N-adapter yet, and I am probably not going to wait for them to (I'll probably buy the additional Netgear networking gear for about $50 to connect my upstairs TivoHD rather than wait months/years until Tivo gets their act together).

"Have you had any problems with that Netgear WNHDEB111 kit? It sounds pretty good. I may pick one up.

EDIT: What the heck... decided to just give it a shot. I'll sell my A/B/G adapter if it works well. Though I decided to order the listing from amazon (as opposed to buy.com on amazon) for a $1 more in order to get my prime 2-day shipping."

No, I have not had any problems with the Netgear WNHDEB111 kit -- I haven't had the time to do much gaming with it, but I have downloaded a couple episodes of Flash Forward in High Definition from the XBox Live Store (and it seemed to download them pretty fast).

bread's done
Back