Newb question

Sgt. Baker

CAGiversary!
I know this is probably rediculous, and I will be run out of CAG, but I've read alot of people talking about component cables for the Wii being included or not. What's the real difference between that and A/V cables? The red, white, and yellow cables? I know about HDMI, but can someone please tell me what exactly component cabels do that A/V cables cann't?

RF Switch (old cable hookup) < Composite (Red/White/Yellow) < S-Video < Component (Red/Blue/Green) < HDMI

Somewhere VGA goes in there. I think it's roughly the same as Component.

Basically you'll get a better picture because as you move up, colors get split more finely, resulting in sharper contrasts and finer lines. Also, component allows for things like 480p progressive scanning output, which results in a sharper picture all around because it gives higher resolution and better contrast overall.

That's the bare minimum explanation. There's some techie out there who knows a billion times more than me, and can direct you further.

First off, "ridiculous".

Secondly, component video splits the video signal into three seperate colors for your television. Rather then cramming all of that magnetic wave all through one cable, it's broken up into three (green, blue, and red) allowing for several things to happen the biggest of which being that the colors come out "cleaner" in your video package. Furthermore, with high definition, more information can be sent through those cables resulting in a much sharper picture (which is trumped by HDMI which will be trumped by something else).

I also noticed something a little odd that someone can confirm or deny who knows more about this then me. I think that component video might be much better for games on HDTV simply because they leave much less of an after image then standard RCA. My Game Boy Player and Resident Evil 4 for the GC left some pretty icky after images. It hasn't happened with my PS2 using component video.

[quote name='Eastsidecracker']So does the wii come with component?[/QUOTE]
That's kind of the big question hanging out there. Here's hoping, as I really don't want to spend $50 on component cables on top of everything else. I can't imagine it would really be that muhc more expensive to make an all-in-one AV cable (composite/Svideo/component) than just packing in some basic stuff.

bread's done
Back