Newegg - Blue or Black PS3 Contr. $36.99 Each/640GB 2.5" Samsung Hard Drive $49.99 FS

[quote name='parkerwilson']I really need a hard drive for my 60gb ps3, is the one posted above good?[/QUOTE]

I looked at it before, but based on the mixed reviews and small cache size I decided to pass on it and wait for a deal on the WD Scorpio black drive.

[quote name='waldo21212']I looked at it before, but based on the mixed reviews and small cache size I decided to pass on it and wait for a deal on the WD Scorpio black drive.[/QUOTE]
Is that what I should be looking for, really know nothing about hard drives

My desktop's hard drive has a 32 MB cache (half of this one), but has a 7200 RPM (faster than this one). It works perfectly fine. Generally, the RPM is what your should look at. (If you really wanted speed, you would get a SSD though). That said, the standard PS3 comes with a 5400 RPM hard drive.

If you're just looking for a good deal and don't care for something faster than the PS3's standard hard drive, then the specs on this one is fine. The only thing I'd worry about is its quality (if there's several reviews that states that it breaks down quickly?), but since I own a couple of western digital hard drives and have had no problem with them, I'd think they're fine.

[quote name='LackeyZero']My desktop's hard drive has a 32 MB cache (half of this one), but has a 7200 RPM (faster than this one). It works perfectly fine. Generally, the RPM is what your should look at. (If you really wanted speed, you would get a SSD though). That said, the standard PS3 comes with a 5400 RPM hard drive.

If you're just looking for a good deal and don't care for something faster than the PS3's standard hard drive, then the specs on this one is fine. The only thing I'd worry about is its quality (if there's several reviews that states that it breaks down quickly?), but since I own a couple of western digital hard drives and have had no problem with them, I'd think they're fine.[/QUOTE]

This drive only has an 8 mb cache though.

Ah you're right. Sorry, I thought I saw 64 MB. My bad.

That said, I have no idea how much a 8 MB cache would affect performance though.

[quote name='LackeyZero']Ah you're right. Sorry, I thought I saw 64 MB. My bad.

That said, I have no idea how much a 8 MB cache would affect performance though.[/QUOTE]

From what I have read a larger cache makes a larger difference in a ps3 over a regular pc. Not more difference than 7200 rpm vs 5400 rpm but it does seem to help performance to a noticeable level.

The speed differences are still a point of contention as PS3 games are designed around using a 5400 rpm drive. Rather, there's not much point in paying more for a 7200 rpm drive over a 5400 rpm drive but if the prices/sizes are the same then go nuts.

Slapping a SSD in your PS3 ain't gonna fix Skyrim for instance.;)

edit: Also of note is that with increased speed comes increased heat but also avoid green/eco drives. You'll also want to keep in mind that the drive needs to be 9.5 mm in height, which that one is, or you'll run into problems.

bread's done
Back