Newegg: Star Ocean: Last Hope International $15.99 Shipped

Really, newegg, really?! You are seriously trying to drain my bank account this week.

Majority of the time once it hit's $15.99 it stays. And I agree with you seems I give them $15.99 every other day....
(Edit: If it sells out it may go back up in price)

[quote name='Cmw7290']Majority of the time once it hit's $15.99 it stays. [/QUOTE]

ok, I hope this deal will still be valid next week. I need to adhere to a budget, but newegg has been a budget-wrecker lately. :D

edit - fuck it, I just caved and nabbed a copy..

For those who have played both, how does this compare to Tales of Graces F? I'm really enjoying Tales right now and will likely be in the mood for another JRPG when I finish it up.

Thanks OP. Been waiting for this to drop again.

Re: price drop - the camelizer shows this title usually drops in price for just a couple days, then goes back up.

[quote name='coolz481']For those who have played both, how does this compare to Tales of Graces F? I'm really enjoying Tales right now and will likely be in the mood for another JRPG when I finish it up.[/QUOTE]
Graces outclasses it in every way. As does Vesperia, for those on the Xbox 360 side of things.

Star Ocean IV's only redeeming quality is its battle system and, while fun, even that's mindless. In the early going you'll use the game's "Blindside" mechanic to quickly dispatch foes, while later on that's used exclusively for bosses and everything else tends to get steamrolled by mashing the X button or one of the shoulder buttons. Higher difficulties present more of a challenge and, in turn, encourages experimentation, but unfortunately you have to clear the game once before the option becomes available. Unlike Graces/Vesperia, you also can't switch difficulty without starting the game over.

The story and characters are among the worst I've ever encountered. There may be some enjoyment to be had if you don't take the game seriously at all or otherwise accept it for the trainwreck it eventually becomes, but if you want something compelling or meaty you're out of luck.

[quote name='Darrcyphfeid']Graces outclasses it in every way. As does Vesperia, for those on the Xbox 360 side of things.

Star Ocean IV's only redeeming quality is its battle system and, while fun, even that's mindless. In the early going you'll use the game's "Blindside" mechanic to quickly dispatch foes, while later on that's used exclusively for bosses and everything else tends to get steamrolled by mashing the X button or one of the shoulder buttons. Higher difficulties present more of a challenge and, in turn, encourages experimentation, but unfortunately you have to clear the game once before the option becomes available. Unlike Graces/Vesperia, you also can't switch difficulty without starting the game over.

The story and characters are among the worst I've ever encountered. There may be some enjoyment to be had if you don't take the game seriously at all or otherwise accept it for the trainwreck it eventually becomes, but if you want something compelling or meaty you're out of luck.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the reply. Even at $16, it sounds like a pass, especially since I have a new Vita and plenty of PSP RPGs that I'd like to catch up on.

I don't know too much about the PS3 version, I'm guessing it has extra stuff maybe? But I honestly really enjoyed the 360 version. Kinda like a JRPG version of Mass Effect. I enjoyed the battle system a lot, I really loved the sidestep then counter mechanic, makes you feel like a badass. I also liked the grid that would fill up based on how you beat enemies and would then give you bonuses. I really liked the graphics too, they have a 3D plastic action figure render about them that looks impressive, somewhat akin to Toy Story, to a lesser extent of course.

Contemplating picking this one up because I'd rather carve out my eardrums with a butter knife than play with the American voice acting. A shame because I was really enjoying the game before I couldn't take it anymore.

[quote name='roymustang']I don't know too much about the PS3 version, I'm guessing it has extra stuff maybe?[/QUOTE]
Treasure chest locations and their contents have been modified, the item creation system has some new (annoying) limitations, you now have the ability to manually select targets in battle, you can switch between CG and anime portraits for battle, and there are some new language options available.

[quote name='Darrcyphfeid']Treasure chest locations and their contents have been modified, the item creation system has some new (annoying) limitations, you now have the ability to manually select targets in battle, you can switch between CG and anime portraits for battle, and there are some new language options available.[/QUOTE]

That alone is making me consider this. I recently sold my 360 copy because I simply couldn't stand the English voices.

[quote name='Cmw7290']Hah! I was just thinking that. I just recently got rid of 90% of debt so I have extra cash burning in my pocket.[/QUOTE]

Lol. 10% debt doesn't equal extra cash.

[quote name='ChunLiBarbie']Lol. 10% debt doesn't equal extra cash.[/QUOTE]

Payment's are cheaper. ^_^ So I have extra money.

[quote name='Cmw7290']Payment's are cheaper. ^_^ So I have extra money.[/QUOTE]

Chaching! Shopping spree! I'll grab my shoes...:)

bread's done
Back