Next Gen consoles with disc changers?

coolcps

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Does anyone else think that this would be cool? I have always wished that like playstation had something like a 3 disc changer because I always end up playing a few games and switching throughout them. Also I think it would be cool to have a console with a remote for power and cool things like that. What do you guys think about disc changers in consoles?

How many multi-DVD games are out there on consoles? Any?

This is an idea that would survive about two minutes in a design meeting. Adds significant cost but is meaningless to majority of users. DOA.

Someone might offer a high-end model, like Panasonic's GameCube compatible DVD player but this is simply never going to happen for the base unit 95% of the console's buyers will choose.

No. Just like I really don't want to pay extra for a DVD Drive.

Or a hard drive.

Or whatever else Sony and or Microsoft want to jam in to that machine to suck my dollar.

[quote name='Sartori']No. Just like I really don't want to pay extra for a DVD Drive.

Or a hard drive.

Or whatever else Sony and or Microsoft want to jam in to that machine to suck my dollar.[/quote]

So you'd rather buy memory card after memory card?

Back on topic, the disc changers will never happen. It would make the systems too big, too expensive. And who the hell really needs a disc changer? You got to be fucking lazy (or a DJ) to really need one.

[quote name='redgopher'][quote name='Sartori']No. Just like I really don't want to pay extra for a DVD Drive.

Or a hard drive.

Or whatever else Sony and or Microsoft want to jam in to that machine to suck my dollar.[/quote]

Back on topic, the disc changers will never happen. It would make the systems too big, too expensive. And who the hell really needs a disc changer? You got to be shaq-fuing lazy (or a DJ) to really need one.[/quote]

Let's see.. Hard drive costs 100 dollars...
Memory card two pack cost me 30.... don't ever need more than that (I'd only ever need one if I didn't enjoy keeping all my saves)... hmm.. memory cards are portable storage medium.. they don't promote lazy developers/excuses. . .

I'd say memory cards win.

If the hard drive comes with the console, everyone wins.

On topic, disc changer sounds like a gimmick that would increase costs. No thanks.

No.
- Don't wanna pay more for something that isn't hard to do.
- It's one more thing that can break

[quote name='Sartori'][quote name='redgopher'][quote name='Sartori']No. Just like I really don't want to pay extra for a DVD Drive.

Or a hard drive.

Back on topic, the disc changers will never happen. It would make the systems too big, too expensive. And who the hell really needs a disc changer? You got to be shaq-fuing lazy (or a DJ) to really need one.[/quote]

Memory card two pack cost me 30.... don't ever need more than that (I'd only ever need one if I didn't enjoy keeping all my saves)... hmm.. memory cards are portable storage medium.. they don't promote lazy developers/excuses. . .

I'd say memory cards win.[/quote]

Then again, I *did* buy my friend's FFXI w/ HDD for $30.

[quote name='redgopher'][quote name='Sartori'][quote name='redgopher'][quote name='Sartori']No. Just like I really don't want to pay extra for a DVD Drive.

Or a hard drive.

I'd say memory cards win.[/quote]

Then again, I *did* buy my friend's FFXI w/ HDD for $30.[/quote]

The price really isn't my major deterrent.

I'm with Gopher here on the HDD and you're overpricing the HDD. Chances are a HDD might only add $50 or LESS to the console's cost. Look I feel you on the lazy developer's thing but with PC they'll continue to do it whether people like it or not.
It's the question if you find paying a most likely ONE time fee of $50 for a HDD as part of the system or buy multiple memory cards to cover it. I mean speaking of memory cards I've managed to fill I have almost filled my GC 256 and I think I've filled one of my PS2 memory cards and NO I don't own Madden.
In fact one of the BIG reasons whenever a game is on multiple systems that I buy the XBox version is for the saving on the HDD or maybe even the Live features. Also reduced load time can be nice.
Btw Sartori regardless of what you say there ARE instances where developers were lazy or forgot to do stuff resulting in a game taking increased save space, Smackdown anyone? That takes up HALF of a PS2 memory card.

The hard drive has made a major contribution to the Xbox's attractiveness for those consumers who understand what it's doing. The failure on Microsoft's part is in not better publicising the difference and not pushing developers to exploit it further.

This goes hand in hand with my belief that MS also made a mistake in not encouraging more ports from the PC gaming realm. A lot of us pass up PC games because of the sheer hassle when compared to console use. There are a lot of PC ports that would only be viable on the Xbox due to the unavoidably large save files they create. For instance, Diablo 2 and its expansions, a huge PC hit, have no console version. Even at this late date I think Diablo 2 could do a lot of business on Xbox if done right.

[quote name='Sarang01']I'm with Gopher here on the HDD and you're overpricing the HDD. Chances are a HDD might only add $50 or LESS to the console's cost. Look I feel you on the lazy developer's thing but with PC they'll continue to do it whether people like it or not.[/quote]

It'll happen on your "console" soon enough. I see it coming and I don't like it. I don't PC game for several reasons - that's one of them.

It's the question if you find paying a most likely ONE time fee of $50 for a HDD as part of the system or buy multiple memory cards to cover it. .

Again - the price isn't what concerns me. Furthermore, I was just tossing out Sony's number becasue --- see sentence one.

I would like the next consoles to be component-width to match the rest of my AV equipment. About 17 1/2 inches. I just don't understand why people claim the Xbox is too large. I wish it was bigger.

I would buy the changer, but it's not something I see a great need for.

I think the idea of a multi-disc changer in game console is stupid. Instead of just one disc being stuck in my console when it breaks down, I will have THREE or more discs stuck in them. No thanks.

bread's done
Back