Next Gen War

terutt

CAGiversary!
Ok, I am a video game guy, and also make a living somewhat analyzing the tech industry...here goes, let the flames begin.

Sony: The slipping of the PS3 has killed them, not only from a game standpoint, but probably from a company standpoint as well it has really hurt them. Sony is in a war for the next DVD standard. Coming out this spring, and their value proposition would have been "Yes, it is expensive...but you also are getting a cheap next-generation DVD player"...pretty compelling.

But now with the schedule slip, it has hurt them in two ways. First, MS gets a big lead for next gen gaming (and the fact that the latest reports in the press seem to be "umm...PS3 games not looking much better than 360 games"). And, more importantly, it has opened the door for Toshiba to come to market with their competing DVD standard...HD DVD. If you look at how the battle lines are being drawn...content providers (movie studios) are now generally siding with the HD DVD format. The reason is (a) it is here now and provides the opportunity to immediately start re-selling movies to consumers again (b) It uses the same basic manufacturing technology as existing DVD's, where "Blu-Ray" (dumb name..tell me what it is, and not about the technology) will require a large investment by manufacturers to make the disks. (C) it is an easy transition for people, as they can watch existing DVD format on them. People will buy the player based upon what they can watch, and not the technology (hello betamax!), and so I think the DVD format war is already over.

So, instead of the value proposition being "get a great game system..and a cheap DVD player" which would have given blu-ray standard an immediate install base (as gamers bought the machine) now Sony is looking at "Get a good game system..probably not much better than our year-old competitor...and a DOA DVD format player". This is horrible news for Sony...

Here is how Sony COULD salvage all this: First, need a redesign PSP. Kill that UMD drive, put a 20 GIG HDD in it. Make sure you have good interoperability between the PSP and the PS3. Sell them as a package...with the proposition of "For $1000, you get a DVR, a way to surf the net and watch HD movies. But more importantly, it is quick and easy to synch between it and the handheld unit. Have a show you recorded on the PS3 you want to watch on vacation? Software allows you to send it from your PS3 to your PSP. Can do the same for DVD movies . " Together, make them an integrated solution. Also, have the ability to download PS1 games for $3-$5 price points onto both. Even then...I would not be shocked if the Blu-Ray standard is dead and replaced or significantly altered to be compatible with DVD/HD DVD by the time PS3 comes rolling out.

In the end, I think Sony is too dumb to do this, because they are still seeing themselves a "hardware" company instead of an entertainment company. Why the UMD? They wanted to make money from the licensing. Why push the Blu-ray? They want the licensing. In short, they want the next-gen model to give them what they got in the initial CD standard wars...it is not going to happen. They need to stop creating cool gadgets and then worrying about how folks will use them and look at what people want to do first, and back-design into that.

Outlook dim, in my opinion, for Sony...and I a big Sony fan (own all they systems...and a chunck of their stock).

MS: As a company, they have bigger issues...onslaught from Google and freeware, Vista slip, etc. So, this might get them to re-affirm their committment to the game machine, as they see it as the trojan horse to keep the MS standard in place in the home. They learned alot with the 360, and it seems to be a solid machine...although they are already learning that players are balking at $60 games. Big ups for their Xbox Arcade or whatever that thing they do is.

Outlook: Partly Sunny.

Nintendo: Not crazy about that name (Wii) or that controller, but if they come out with the right price point on the system ($200), I think they are the big winner here. Especially (as they have said they are going to do) they provide access to their old games as a download for a reasonable fee. You are a parent...do you want to shell out $600 for a game system that seems more computer than game, and then know you are committed to $50-$60 everytime junior gets bored? Or, do you want to pony up $200 and know that you can go get those games (which you loved growing up) for $5 a throw?

Outlook: Sunny

So, I think the next-gen is that Nintendo roars back, Sony falters and MS gains some...so that you end up with a pretty even split. Here is where the danger for the entire industy lays: That there is no clear leader, and that the "good" games are too spread out, and so lacking a clear decision, most consumers will simply not make one. Game developers and their $20M development costs start to lose their shirts and start to drop out. The whole industry kind of disappears into a black hole like what seems to happen every 10 years anyways.

Me? I have a stack of PS2 games, many of which I have picked up for $10...going to be hard for me to shell out a wad of cash...think I will sit things out for a few years until prices drop and a some of the unknowns shake themselves out. I am guessing there are quite a few folks like me.

360: Needs more exclusives. Gears of War, Too Human, etc. look good, but what about now (since now is what really matters)?
PS3: Needs less cost, unnecessary convergence, and needs good games slated for launch (nothing killer coming till 2007... except Riiiiidddggee Racer)
Wii: Needs to prove it's not a gimmick (but damn if Zelda and Metroid aren't cool)
PSP: Needs games. There's nothing on there but ports and remakes... I like those ports and remakes, but god damn, do something new.
DS: Needs more games now... NSMB was good, but apart from that, there hasn't been a single game this year I've given a damn about.

:whistle2:k If part of the problem with the PS3 is price, I'm not so sure how a PSP-PS3 bundle for $1000 would help sell any units, even if they pushed this connectivity. The more tech-savvy people (read: The ones who would spend the money on a set-up like this) most likely are already doing what you suggest, by encoding programs they capture with either TiVo or a Media Center box and popping them on a memory stick. This leaves you with the casual crowd, and if they're already having a hard time swallowing the $600 pill, there's almost no way you'll be able to get them to drop a grand on a gaming system.

I also don't remember the whole industry disappearing in the late 90s, but I was just turning 10, so maybe the history that I've read about the industry from that time decided to ignore such an implosion.

[quote name='terutt']

Sony:

Here is how Sony COULD salvage all this: First, need a redesign PSP. Kill that UMD drive, put a 20 GIG HDD in it.

[/QUOTE]

Redesigning the PSP would be a horrible idea. Replacing the UMD drive for a harddrive would elminate and alienate the existing psp user base. It isn't as big as the DS user base but I wouldn't call it insignificant. Also, using a hard drive would also increase the cost dramatically. 20GB 1 inch harddrives are very expensive relative to UMD drives. A $1000 PSP & PS3 package is ridiculously high (is a $600 PS3 not high enough for you? it is for most people), no one is going to touch it. Movie viewers just want a blueray player (PS3), very few gamers would want to (or are able to) shell out a grand for a gaming package.

[quote name='sqyxzylyx']I agree with your analysis but I can describe each console as:

Xbox 360: crappy
PS3: expensive
Wii: fun[/QUOTE]

how is 360 crappy ?

[quote name='wbc1228']Redesigning the PSP would be a horrible idea. Replacing the UMD drive for a harddrive would elminate and alienate the existing psp user base. It isn't as big as the DS user base but I wouldn't call it insignificant. Also, using a hard drive would also increase the cost dramatically. 20GB 1 inch harddrives are very expensive relative to UMD drives. A $1000 PSP & PS3 package is ridiculously high (is a $600 PS3 not high enough for you? it is for most people), no one is going to touch it. Movie viewers just want a blueray player (PS3), very few gamers would want to (or are able to) shell out a grand for a gaming package.[/QUOTE]

Me personally...if my choice was

$200 PSP + now I have to shell out another $50 for some proprietary 1 gig mem stick = $250 for something with not a lot of memory and poor battery life (since it has to sit there and physically spin a disk all the time)

or

$300 for a PSP that has 20 gig built in so I can load enough games/movies/music to actually be worthwhile and decent battery life

It would be an easy choice for me....

And it's not like it would be the first time sony left it's users high and dry....betamax or md anyone?

[quote name='Genocidal']:whistle2:k If part of the problem with the PS3 is price, I'm not so sure how a PSP-PS3 bundle for $1000 would help sell any units, even if they pushed this connectivity. The more tech-savvy people (read: The ones who would spend the money on a set-up like this) most likely are already doing what you suggest, by encoding programs they capture with either TiVo or a Media Center box and popping them on a memory stick. This leaves you with the casual crowd, and if they're already having a hard time swallowing the $600 pill, there's almost no way you'll be able to get them to drop a grand on a gaming system.

[/QUOTE]

So, I consider myself a pretty tech savy, but after a hard day at work the last thing I want to do is come home and dick around with encoding and crap. Heck, I used to not record anything of off TV because dealing with videotapes, setting the timer, etc was just a pain...but once I got my DVR, the ease of use (for the same basic function) completely changed things. I really don't want to have to fire up my computer, spend time encoding stuff, trying to the transfer to take, etc. I want to set my PSP next to my PS3, have them recognize each other wireless, tell my ps3 to load some stuff onto my PSP and walk away.

For me personally...I would not shell out $250 for a PSP (and say to myself..."hmm...now if I want to actually want to do anything with it, it is another $20 for a movie or $40 for a game") nor am I planning on $600 for a system which is "hmmm...ok, now I have to shell out $60 for a game, and beyond that it has not brought much more to my life than my existing DVR and computer has". I would be much more likely to just bite the bullet and drop about a grand for a complete and integrated home and mobile entertainment package.

I'm wondering how much the hardcore fan's anger is really going to hurt Sony's sales. Yes, everyone is pissed at Sony for being cocky bastards, but if mainstream consumers talk themselves into paying that much, none of this peripheral "Sony copied MS/Nintendo/whoever" "Sony says people will buy it no matter what" etc stuff is going to matter. That's a pretty damn big "if" though.

Nintendo will be fine. I don't necessarily think they'll come "roaring back" but they should take a pretty notable chunk of the market - definitely more than last time. Ditto for Microsoft.

Speaking of which, I don't think they need to "have more exclusives" right now. Summer is usually pretty lax when it comes to big name releases, so this is not breaking tradition or blowing any chances. They have just enough stuff to keep drawing people in without playing all their cards right now. By saving their heavy-hitters for later this year, they'll have something to combat the new console launches, which is when they need all the help they can get.

[quote name='smellhasreturned']how is 360 crappy ?[/QUOTE]

I don't know, but seeing as how he backed up his statements on all three systems with absolutely nothing, it's easy to write it off.

bread's done
Back