NFSU Ds, new info and pics

DS
need-for-speed-underground-ds-20050125013307300.jpg

PSP
need-for-speed-underground-rivals-20050107013435240.jpg

Damn, there's a huge amount of graphical difference in between the two games.

I know Nintendo says the DS isn't supposed to compete with the PSP, but we all know they will. At least until the next Gameboy comes out, but getting beat this bad in the graphical department doesn't look too good.

There is a major difference in resolution and polygon rates between the two units. Games designed to take advantage of that are always going to look better on the PSP. There just isn't any getting around that. The DS has to succeed on being more price effective and offering a unique experience found nowhere else.

While we're at it lets start compairing the PS2 graphics to the XBox again.

Its all about gameplay, how big the library is and the price. graphics really aren't that big of a deal. If it was all about the graphics. Xbox would be the #1 console, the GameGear would have kicked the GameBoys Ass and the N-Gage would have defeated the GBA.

I really don't care about NFS:U I never bought the GBA version and I don't plan on buying the DS or PSP versions. But the way I see it if I'm going to buy one I'm going with the DS and save $20.
PSP = $50
DS = $30

Edit: oh wait I forgot EA makes NFS:U
so its
PSP = $60
DS = $40

Oh and fuck EA!

That really is a big difference in graphics, but why are we getting ports of the original NFSU game? At the very least let it be NFSU2 but I'd still rather want an original game rather than a port.

But you have to remember that in order to get those great graphics, you're going to need a crap load of power. The PSP BARELY has a battery life.

[quote name='IGN']But Need for Speed Underground has always been about personal expression and customization, and the Nintendo DS' touch-screen will come into play here to put custom decals on their rides. The development team has incorporated a paint program that enables decal artists to create whatever their minds can conceive for true vehicular personality. Anything you can draw with the stylus can be slapped on specific locations of your car's exterior.[/quote]

[quote name='whoknows']The DS version looks pretty good...about PS1 graphics, hopefully it wont be as bad as Ridge Racer DS.[/quote]

LOL, my thoughts exactly. You can get a portable PS1 or a portable PS2. :wink:

In all seriousness, I'll reserve judgment. Nintendo really understands the handheld market. It's all a matter of whether they understand the current handheld market.

Based on screenshots, I'd much rather play the PSP. But the idea of using the DS's touch screen to paint and customize is very creative. I also love the mouse and keyboard style FPS play you can get with the DS.

Time will tell. My SP will keep me busy until I have to choose a side in this bantamweight console holy war.

Bah who am I kidding. I'll wind up with both at some point.

Damn, those PSP screens look fucking awesome. Although, I gotta give some major props for the extreme customization options on the DS version.

it probably helps if you look at a non zoomed in DS image for comparison

need-for-speed-underground-ds-20050125013308378.jpg

Now my guess is that the PSP screen is enlarged as well but the thing is once you consider the pics closer to actaully size the differences diminish some. I do know that the PSP screens still look better but the DS screens are actually looking pretty good IMO.

Well the DS screenshot is like double-sized as to what you're actually going to see, so it'll look better when you see it on an actual DS. (less pixelation)

I'll be getting the DS version, most likely.

[quote name='CapAmerica']While we're at it lets start compairing the PS2 graphics to the XBox again.

Its all about gameplay, how big the library is and the price. graphics really aren't that big of a deal. If it was all about the graphics. Xbox would be the #1 console, the GameGear would have kicked the GameBoys Ass and the N-Gage would have defeated the GBA.

I really don't care about NFS:U I never bought the GBA version and I don't plan on buying the DS or PSP versions. But the way I see it if I'm going to buy one I'm going with the DS and save $20.
PSP = $50
DS = $30

so its
PSP = $60
DS = $40

Oh and shaq-fu EA![/quote]

:applause:

Thanks Stalfosking,

I was curious as the PSP has a much larger screena nd therefore was enlarged less.

This helps me notice the difference isnt as big as it seemed.

[quote name='stalfosking']it probably helps if you look at a non zoomed in DS image for comparison

need-for-speed-underground-ds-20050125013308378.jpg

Now my guess is that the PSP screen is enlarged as well but the thing is once you consider the pics closer to actaully size the differences diminish some. I do know that the PSP screens still look better but the DS screens are actually looking pretty good IMO.[/quote]
it realy does help puting it into that perspective insted of this
[quote name='Grave_Addiction']DS
need-for-speed-underground-ds-20050125013307300.jpg

PSP

Damn, there's a huge amount of graphical difference in between the two games.

I know Nintendo says the DS isn't supposed to compete with the PSP, but we all know they will. At least until the next Gameboy comes out, but getting beat this bad in the graphical department doesn't look too good.[/quote]
I mean there still is a graphical advantage but if i ever picked up this game it will prolly come down to 40 or 60, not on graphics.

[quote name='CapAmerica']While we're at it lets start compairing the PS2 graphics to the XBox again.

PSP = $50
DS = $30

so its
PSP = $60
DS = $40

we all know u wanted to change the EA! to PSP!

I think, that although the PSP has much better car models, both look extremely ugly. All I have seen from both consoles are rectangular buildings lining the tracks edge along with orange/yellow rails. I'm not expecting a home console experience here but this just seems to me that the devs are lazy.

[quote name='smellhasreturned'][quote name='CapAmerica']While we're at it lets start compairing the PS2 graphics to the XBox again.

PSP = $50
DS = $30

so its
PSP = $60
DS = $40

we all know u wanted to change the EA! to PSP![/quote]

No I just hate EA, I don't have much agenst the PSP... yet. =P

I'm planing to get one once the price comes down and some games I actualy want show up on it.

None of the extra features really impress me. I have a Zaurus that plays movies great and a iPod Photo for a MP3 player. So the PSP is only going to be a console for me, nothing more. And why buy a console if there are no games I want on it?

PSP = $50
DS = $30

so its
PSP = $60
DS = $40

Hey, hey! This is about the DS and PSP...can't we leave Xbox out of it? :wink:

[quote name='ex0']I think, that although the PSP has much better car models, both look extremely ugly. All I have seen from both consoles are rectangular buildings lining the tracks edge along with orange/yellow rails. I'm not expecting a home console experience here but this just seems to me that the devs are lazy.[/quote]
I wouldn't necessarily call them ugly I do like the night time look that both portray but the thing is that's the only look your going to get with these games, it's always night time racing. I think the screenshots so far make both look pretty decent but I don't think this type of racing game interest me.

[quote name='howlinmad']Just hope the gas isn't the square button, or you might be stuck at the light.[/quote]

That's going to be a new feature for the series as Kutaragi requested.

[quote name='SteveMcQ'][quote name='howlinmad']Just hope the gas isn't the square button, or you might be stuck at the light.[/quote]

That's going to be a new feature for the series as Kutaragi requested.[/quote]

Gas has always been X, so there's no need for that stupid joke.

[quote name='CrashSpyro123'][quote name='SteveMcQ'][quote name='howlinmad']Just hope the gas isn't the square button, or you might be stuck at the light.[/quote]

That's going to be a new feature for the series as Kutaragi requested.[/quote]

Gas has always been X, so there's no need for that stupid joke.[/quote]

Lighten up and don't be so technical critical.

bread's done
Back