NHL 08 or NHL 2k8

[quote name='Maynard']holy shit theres only two hockey fans here?[/QUOTE]

No its just that we don't have two demos. So we can't really make a judgement.

Personally I haven't played a hockey game since the PS/N64 days. Back when the Red Wings were the shit and I played street hockey at least twice a week.

I'd love to get back into the videogame part, though.

I think you should just wait until next year and then the games will be like 8 bucks. At least thats how it is with Madden.

I think I might go with only NHL 08(360) this year and try to do something with a smaller league like 10-12 teams if anybody is interested.

after the Madden fiasco... I can't recommend any EA game... heck look at Tiger woods... more mess. Is EA even trying to make good games?

Honestly, I'm LOVING the NHL 08 demo this year. Last year I did not like the controls, but maybe they have grown on me now....still has a learning curve, but the presentation is nice in NHL 08.

I did some research on this game via IGN and it looks like it's going to be all EA crap. 2K8 doesn't have the same skill stick controls so it's less intuitive. I have a feeling it's going to be 360 only also, probably just because of the 360 controller.

[quote name='Azumangaman']Has anybody seen the achievement list for NHL 2K8?
I must say, if this is accurate, this is the almost EXACT SAME LIST as NHL 2K7.
[/QUOTE]

Yeah I saw that. Pretty lame/stupid. You think they will finally get the penalty shot achivement done this year?

Honestly if CAGHL doesn't exist for some reason and NHL 08 is alot better this may be my last year of 2k Hockey but it really depends on those two factors. That is all.

I just want you all to know that it brings a tear to my eye to see a hockey thread generate 4+ pages of responses. It's so hard to find people that actually care about any sport that doesn't start with "f" and end with "ootball" these days.

[quote name='SpecTrE3353']I just want you all to know that it brings a tear to my eye to see a hockey thread generate 4+ pages of responses. It's so hard to find people that actually care about any sport that doesn't start with "f" and end with "ootball" these days.[/quote]

QFT--I love football as well, but it's nice to see some hockey fans left after Bettman has expanded the league into the toilet. Diluted talent pool FTL!

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/812/812821p1.html

This goes over the franchise mode of 2k8 well. Looks like we have a clear cut winner in season/franchise mode this year. Online and gameplay remains to be seen.

I got to play the NHL08 demo, and guess what? It's actually quite good. But it took me awhile to get use to the controls after playing 2k for all these years.

Waiting for IGN's and Gamespot's reviews now.

It'll be up to my brother because he'll probably be the one buying it, but we'll probably end up with 08 (I'd rather have 2k8) because NHL2K8 has a Senator on the cover.

I wonder if you'll be able to shoot the puck at a player after the end of the period.

Go Ducks

[quote name='danked']Ducks must die.[/quote]

seconded, it's funny... last season, I don't remember anyone that wasn't from Anaheim saying they liked the Ducks.

NHL2k8 shipped today according to IGN. My Amazon copy hasn't shipped yet though. Here's the new features... ripped from IGN.

• ProStick - Full 360 analog controls intuitively mapped to the right stick allow for precision puck handling ability. Hundreds of new animations give gamers a full range of movement, creating a genuine NHL gameplay experience on both offense and defense.

• All-New Goaltending - Completely overhauled with instinctive AI, entirely new animations, and situation specific behaviors. Goalies will now come out and challenge, guard the post, perform spectacular butterfly saves, and much more.

• Ground-breaking Face-Off System - Based on timing and strategy, and featuring tie-ups, warnings, and toss-outs, this innovative system brings an unrivaled level of depth and realism with every drop of the puck.

• NHL Signature Style - Striking next gen visuals, redesigned player models highlighting the new 2007-2008 NHL uniform style, accurate equipment featuring several real-life brands, and updated player likenesses bring gamers the most realistic hockey game to date.

• Deeper Franchise - Now complete with nearly every CBA (Collective Bargaining Agreement) feature available including a revamped off-season mode with brand new negotiation system, improved draft, refurbished free agent signing, and an all-new player progression system.

• My NHL - Gamers can customize their own style of play to create the exact hockey experience they want, and then share their Game Styles online for others to use. Using a new rating system to rank the best user Game Styles, gamers can let everyone else know how they should be playing hockey.

• 2K Sports Online - Featuring full online leagues and tournaments complete with trades, stat tracking, fantasy drafts, and more, gamers go head-to-head against the best players around.

Now to wait for the review from Gamespot and IGN...

[quote name='Monsta Mack']NHL08 fans this may be the year you truely defeat the 2k8 series.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/819/819016p1.html 8.9 for NHL08 for XBox 360 at IGN. PS3 version gets a few points less (framerate issue)[/quote]

I'm so glad I have this coming overnight shipping in a few days. Last year's version was great, and this is coming from someone who was a 2K fanatic since 2001 (I finally got sick of the 2K series' gamebreaking bugs and glitches, and it led me to try out NHL 07).

I think this year NHL 08 will be the game to get. As far as the Ducks, what's not to like, great defense, consistent goaltending and a great mix of cocky young guys that can back it up and veterans that can bring it as well. Although I'm a little worried about this season but there are a bunch of good guys coming up as well.

They didn't really go into detail why they gave it such a low score outside of the new prostick being tough to learn, because unlike the NHL08 controls your using it to control the puck. Would have been nice to know why the game sucks. Its more of slapping a low score on the game without the fine details. They also gave last years version a 6.5. The IGN and Gamespot reviews should be up tonight should be interesting.

Most people on the boards either say the control scheme in 2k8 completely sucks or is really good but takes a few games getting used to. You can always switch to the old controls regardless if you don't like the new ones.

Yeah, like everyone else I hate EA with a passion but I still will buy Burnout and possibly this if IGN/Gamespot shits on 2k8 but the problem is my amazon pre-order is already 100% confirmed with my $30 off coupon.

I'm waiting for my Amazon order so I can't give in my two cents in terms of how accurate the reviews are.

IGN gives it a 8.5 http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/819/819464p1.html

The Good: They say the new control stick is actually quite good. Again hate it or love it deal here. The Dynasty is considered the best in hockey game. Graphics are top notch outside of the lame static type crowd.

Bad: NHL08 got .1 higher then NHL2k8 and the time to learn the controls may throw casual gamers off.

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/sports/nhl2k8/review.html?sid=6178657 7.0 for 2k8 at Gamespot. Seems well reviewed but they don't care for the new controls bringing it down a good notch.

I think the most disturbing part is they claim the online game at half the framerate as the offline game. This was never the case in previous 2k games and has now become a issue with the 2k series.

Scorch, NHL2k8, like last years version, allows several players to play on the same console versus others. Although I'm not sure if you can randomly team up with 2 others against other people like in NHL08.

Things aren't looking up for 2k8 right now.

Did you see the new uniforms for all teams are included in NHL 08!!!

Go to My NHL
Select RBK Edge and enter this code:

h3oyxpwksf8ibcgt

SWEET!

Downloaded the PS3 demo last night. I am not sure what FPS it is running at, but it was certainly smooth enough. The animations on it were great. Way better than the awkward jerky animations of Madden or NHL 07 (on 360). Maybe if I had saw the 360 version before, I may have been slightly disappointed, but did not feel it was missing anything. I am definitely buying EA's this go around.

~Shea M.

I've been playing ALOT of the NHL 08 demo and I have to say, something about it keeps me coming back. Damn my Japanese Xbox 360 and the current lack of Asian versions of hockey games!

Cheapy,

Like I said in the CAGcast thread. I am willing to buy PS3 versions and ship it to you. PS3 is not region locked. I know PS3 is not your first choice, but AFAIK the hockey games have the same network features on PS3, as on 360.

PM me you want me to hook you up. (BTW, my services are of course free, but I would need you to pay for the games.)

~S

I picked up NHL 08 for PS3 a couple days back (got it for PS3 because that's what my buddies all got it for, plus 7 players offline / 12 players online is wicked)... and I've pretty much been playing non-stop since I got it and it's AWESOME.

I honestly don't see what IGN is talking about when it comes to frame rate... looks like a slide show, wtf?!? I've seen the game hiccup a couple of times at most and that was playing online!

If anyone wants I can even do up a short video to show what it actually looks like...

I haven't played the demo - I just went out and bought the game the first day it was available here.

But I'm guessing that's a safe assumption to make.

hopefully, I'll be picking up NHL 08 for the 360 this evening. it'll be a nice distration until sunday's pre-season game :)

How many people in this thread have NHL 08 now?

Apparantly, it's as good as advertised according to two friends I know who have it.

I d/led some video of 2K8 on the 360 which showed superstar move, pro stick, and face off. Even if these features didn't suck the graphics suck. EA MURDERED 2K on this round. I still hate EA though...

bread's done
Back