NHL 09 PS3 CAG Thread - League Created

Jest

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (100%)
[quote name='League Created']
Hi guys.

The CAG NHL09 PS3 league has been created. Do a search for 'CAGHL'. The password is 'cheapass'. Unfortunately I don't think there was a roster update but we will have to do with how it is now. Please sign up by Wednesday with the team you have reserved. After Wednesday its a free for all for teams. Games should start on Friday.

Thanks for your patience.
[/quote]

The demo is out on the PS Store. The mechanics are the same as last years game. NHL 94 controls are in as well for those who don't like the new dual-stick control scheme. Join the league!

Regular season starts in October.
Team Name - CAG User - PSN User
New Jersey Devils - Open
New York Islanders - Open
New York Rangers - nyprimus4 - JermaineClement
Philadelphia Flyers - Duckbutt - Duckbutt86
Pittsburgh Penguins - davidb69 - Davidb69
Boston Bruins - Open
Buffalo Sabres - Open
Montreal Canadiens - IQ-000- iq-000
Ottawa Senators - amicus - Amicusu
Toronto Maple Leafs - shifty_37 - rpgv2
Atlanta Thrashers - Open
Carolina Hurricanes - Open
Florida Panthers - Open
Tampa Bay Lightning - Open
Washington Capitals - Consummate Canuck - crazyflamesfan

Chicago Blackhawks - Epidemic - Epidemic14
Columbus Blue Jackets - bballplaya210 - TheSoupNotZ

Detroit Red Wings - Jest - Jest311
Nashville Predators - Open
St. Louis Blues - ZipGun47 - shiv2099
Calgary Flames - snowsquirrel - SnowSquirrel
Colorado Avalanche - Open
Edmonton Oilers - slam09 - Slamz0rz
Minnesota Wild - Open
Vancouver Canucks - Dasflikko - Dasflikko
Anaheim Ducks - Bhay99 - Bhay99
Dallas Stars - Plinko - RedWingLion
Los Angeles Kings - emg28 - ???
Phoenix Coyotes - Open
San Jose Sharks - Thongsy - JetTone

As you can see there are a lot of strong team choices left.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am in. Good luck to you bro. I had 10 people lined up last year, and I don't think a single game got played. But in-game-messaging should make things a little easier this year.

09's EASHL sounds stupid IMHO, but they have put more polish on the other online features.

I suggest that we make a headset mandatory. Just not social enough without.

If we are taking teams, I'll take the Flames. I am cool with a draw too.

~S

Yeah I remember that. I had a lot of problems with '08 though. Sometimes the game wouldn't even start, other times after playing an online game it would hang when going back to the menu and I had to turn off the PS3 with the power switch.

Hopefully enough people are interested to do both a league and start a team for EASHL.

I feel dirty calling the Wings but they have been my team since I was 5 (I learned to hate the Leafs really early). If there is enough people with the same team choice then I'll do a lottery for team drafting.

I might also be able to get 4-5 friends to buy it on PS3 instead of 360 to play.

I may be interested. I'd like to see how the new game pans out, I don't have 08, but I'm hoping EA Sports sticks to their guns and keeps the new system intact.

By the way, I call dibs on the Flyers.

Since the 360 thread is picking up steam I figured I would bump this to see if there was any more interest.

I was going to pick this up for the PS3 but since the 360 team seems to be a sure thing, I'll have to get it for the 360. Sorry. Maybe if more PS3 CAGs show some interest.

I'll probably pick this up. Might be interested in a league, depending on how it's setup. I call dibs on the Sharks. Gah I miss being in NoCal.

I know this is a EA thread, but I must say that the 2k9 demo was terrible... though I only played for 10 minutes. Everything felt sluggish.

I am still in. So even if there is only 3 people, there will be a league with me in it.

~S

After playing the 2k9 demo last night I am about 99.54% sure I am picking up NHL09.

You can count me in if this league gets going.

Sadly, I'm a Canucks fan, so I'm pretty much doomed, but oh well.

I don't know how these in-game leagues work (assuming they'll include that feature in NHL 09, like Madden), couldn't we get all the players available from this site (lets say five of us) and then get other random people to fill out the league?

EDIT
Looks like they've got leagues after all.
http://www.easports.com/nhl09/features.jsp

We could probably pick up six people here and maybe pick up the other six online. I've got a friend of mine I could ask if he'd like to participate in an online league.

A couple guys I work with may possibly be interested. If we do allow people from outside, no 'sharks'... and I don't mean San Jose. If a CAG is a stud fine, but I don't think there is a need to bring in someone to shellack us all.
~S

Great. We will probably need to pick people up, but at least we have somewhere to keep discussion going. If you get anyone to buy the game and play with us try to get them on CAG too. September 9th is creeping up. This is my number 2 game on my excitement meter for this fall.

OK. Count me in. I thought you guys were trying to make a team (which would be nice). If you guys are starting up a league, then I can also pick up NHL 09 for the PS3. Lord knows that I have enough GS credit. :D

Dasflikko - try being an LA Kings fan. We were in last place most of last year until the end when Tampa Bay took over the last spot. We missed out on Stamkos. :cry:

By the way, dibs on the Kings.

*edit* Jest - You should probably change the title of the thread to reflect that we are starting up a league and are looking for people to join.

I may pick up the game, not sure as I'll be restarting college again and already have loads of games I'm playing. Haven't bought an NHL game in years, will either pick this or the Force Unleashed up, though that looks to be a rental. I call dibs on the Sharks. Damn I miss being in NoCal.

Cool. So I updated the OP with a list of teams. mastagoalie what team do you want? Dasflikko, I didn't put you in because I wasn't sure if you wanted to be on the league or not.

I don't know if the two people I could bring in would be considered "sharks" or not, but there is a good chance they are better than me, because they both had NHL 08 and played it regularly. I used to be decent, but that was back with 06, I haven't bought anything since so I'll have to adjust to the new game play.

Sure I'll try my hand at the league and I'll take the Canucks. I'm not sure how much I can commit to it with my crazy working schedule, but we'll see what happens.

Hey dudes!!!

I can't wait to get my hands on a copy of NHL09!

I would definately be in for an online league! I wouldn't mind a draft for picking teams but if I can choose, I'll pick Montreal.

Dom

[quote name='Jest']Role call! Who is buying NHL 09 on the PS3 this September? Who is interested in starting a team or doing a league?

August 17
So there is now enough interest to start a CAG league. If there is not enough people to do it proper the league will be open to people outside of CAG. Of course, we get first pick at teams.

New Jersey Devils - Open
New York Islanders - Open
New York Rangers - Open
Philadelphia Flyers - Duckbutt
Pittsburgh Penguins - Open
Boston Bruins - Open
Buffalo Sabres - Open
Montreal Canadiens - Open
Ottawa Senators - Open
Toronto Maple Leafs - Open
Atlanta Thrashers - Open
Carolina Hurricanes - Open
Florida Panthers - Open
Tampa Bay Lightning - Open
Washington Capitals - Open

Chicago Blackhawks - Open
Columbus Blue Jackets - Open
Detroit Red Wings - Jest
Nashville Predators - Open
St. Louis Blues - Open
Calgary Flames - snowsquirrel
Colorado Avalanche - Open
Edmonton Oilers - Open
Minnesota Wild - Open
Vancouver Canucks - Dasflikko
Anaheim Ducks - Open
Dallas Stars - Open
Los Angeles Kings - emg28
Phoenix Coyotes - Open
San Jose Sharks - Thongsy

As you can see there are a lot of strong team choices left.[/QUOTE]
Please put me down for Montreal Canadiens

First post updated to reflect team choices and PSN names.

Need the PSN accounts of emg, Dasflikko, and Duckbutt.

NHL 09 is out the week of 9/9. The official site gives two release dates though, 9/9 (a Tuesday) and 9/11 (a Thursday).

So who's getting it on launch date? We gotta get more people signed up before the game is out.

I am surprised there are as many people as there are. I am going to call around and see if anyone has got it in on the Tuesday and pick it up ASAP. I'll mention the league to a couple of my friends and see if they are interested.

If I was into hockey, I'd take the spot as the Chicago Blackhawks. ;) I just had to say that when looking at this thread. :)

I'll definitely put you down as the administrator for NHL 09 and make sure I put a message in the CAG PSN Gaming Thread telling people to join.

If you haven't tried the demo yet go out and try it. It is great. It is sort of like the Madden demo. At the start you do some skills (slap shot, wrist shot, picking corners, deking, checking, poke checking) then you can play a 5 minute third period as the Pens or the Wings. Or you can play a 5 min third period in be a pro mode, where you only control 1 player. I don't remember if Pittsburgh is available for that, all I remember was being Zetterberg for Be A Pro.

Be A Pro is very interesting. I was having trouble with the camera though. It was moving around too fast and making me a little nauseous.

I tried the demo out and actually thought it was pretty good. Graphics looked great and felt the hockey stick movement with the analog stick was good. However, for some odd reason when I quite the demo, my PS3 made a beep and reset itself (only time a demo ever did that), so I removed it to be safe.

Btw Jest, I added this to the CAG PSN Gaming Group (where I link to this thread).

I liked the demo, much much better than the Madden one. Actually showed you how the twin stick setup works, which was one of the reason I didn't get it last year after playing the demo. Than gave you a chance to play the third period. I'm sure I'll get this game now.

[quote name='Jest'] I don't remember if Pittsburgh is available for that, all I remember was being Zetterberg for Be A Pro.
[/quote]

In the demo, if you select Pittsburgh in Be A Pro mode, you control Sidney Crosby.

Picking up my copy tomorrow morning before my class in the afternoon. If everyone is still interested, the league will start up shortly after the season starts. This will give time to people who are considering to purchase, allow for some practice time, and the rosters to be brought up to date after the training camps are over.

[quote name='Consummate Canuck']I'd be interested. Unfortunately the Flames are taken. I guess I'll pick Washington.[/quote]

What a great pick, if I weren't going with my favorite team, I'd probably go with the Caps. I think they'll be even better with Jose Theodore.

EDIT:

I was unsuccessful in my search for NHL 09 today. Walmart, Target, Best Buy and Gamestop didn't have it. Gamestop said they'll have it tomorrow.

While I was out, I was thinking about a preseason run. Would anybody be interested in doing that? The NHL preseason is eight games, but I was thinking of something like 3-5 games, just for the heck of it.

For sure! I went to my EB today to pay it off, my friend who works there said they would have it today but they didn't. In the 10 minutes I was there they had 2 phone calls of people asking if they had it in stock. The manager said that his boss was going out to Brantford(?) distribution center to pick up a bunch and bring them to the stores in his area. I'm going to pick it up after school then and have a chance to play it tonight.

Does anyone else find it absolutely ridiculous that up here in Canada we're having a hard time finding this game on the release date. And yet just about anywhere in states, you can find it today..... :applause:

How will the league games be played? I think I might have to pull out of the league since I'm at school all day (9am - 6 pm) Monday through Thursday and most of Friday. Also living in Alaska, my timezone is out of sync with everybody else so that might pose a problem. If it isn't I'll still like to be in it.

I will no doubt suck beyond measure, but I'll take my hometown Blues, so I'll have a partial excuse. My PSN ID is in my profile.

I haven't gotten a chance to take a look at how the online league system runs yet. I played so much Be-A-Pro last night I lost track of time.

I just got my copy. I used the $10 of $75 or more of video games/accessories at Best Buy.

So now that I have it, I'm going to start adding those who said they're going to be in the league on PSN so maybe we can play a game or two before we start up.

bread's done
Back