NHL 2K6 - First impressions

METH

CAGiversary!
Hello hockey fans,

It's that time of the year again...the EA vs 2K flame war is on once more.

I got my copy of NHL 2K6 (xbox) yesterday and here's my first impressions:

First off, let me say that i got the canadian version of the game, since i live here, and that Matt Sundin of the Toronto Maple Leafs is on the cover of this edition. Don't ask me why, i just don't get it. Turco is canadian isn't he? The guys at 2KSports dropped the ball on that one i think, Sundin is out of his prime and represent a team on the decline in the new NHL.

On another note, let me say that the game is SOLID. The gameplay is intact, you'll find everything you had in the 2K5 edition plus new
features like the Pro Control and the Enforcer just to name a few.

The menus have been redesign and, thank god, they make more sense. They are better organized and easier to navigate. As for the soundtrack editor, well... it seems to be as messy and buggy as last year. I've set the Habs goal song for everytime i score a goal at the Bell Center and the first 2 goals the music didn't play at all. Only some random guitar riff was heard.

The presentation got a sort of facelift, new commentators (guys from CBC's Hockey Night in Canada), it's fun to hear new people even though the previous guys were better overall. It's fun to see that they incorporated a period recap with highlights between period a la NFL 2K5's halftime report w/ Chris Berman.

Playing the game is still a whole lot of fun, unlike some forum posters (here and at 2khockey.net),to me it doesn't seem like your players are floating in the air. The goalies animations are very cool, they've added a bunch.

Conclusion... I bought the game and i'm glad i did. I have to admit, at first, i felt like it was a 2k5.1 and that 2K pulled an EA, but after 5ish hours of play, i've changed my mind and the game feels great. And it's only 29.99$ can! Hmmi mean 19.99US !

I'll be playing EA's NHL 06 tonight, i'll give you my impressions over the weekend.

...CAGHL 2K6 - it's coming ;)

yours truly,
that crazy french-canadian
alex meth

:applause:
Excellent and thorough review. Most informative. But I would like to complain that now I have to spend money. :lol:

Im curious how much of an upgrade you feel the passing is? I really get off on setting up a play from start to finish. The old EA stuff where you streak down the ice drives me nuts. Is 2k6 with the new passing really improved in that area? Can you bounce the puck around and then zip the one timer when you see the opening? Oh god please say yes. :lol:

I picked it up last night too. Definitely can't go wrong for $20, but it leaves me wondering what the 360 version is going to be like.

Meth and Cheapy getting an early start on 2K6 huh? Making a push for the CAGHL2K6 Cup? Here's hoping for a good deal this weekend.

As I've said before, i'm just now getting into hockey, although I loved older hockey games such as NHL '94 and '97, NHL Breakaway '98, the Wayne Gretzky 3D Hockey games, the original NHL 2K, etc. I don't even know all the rules of hockey.

But this "review", along with a few others I have read and the PS2 demo of the game which I played at E3 have convinced me. Next time I go game shopping, I'm dropping $20 on this. Besides, I need another Live game to beat Supa in. ;)

[quote name='Matt Young']As I've said before, i'm just now getting into hockey, although I loved older hockey games such as NHL '94 and '97, NHL Breakaway '98, the Wayne Gretzky 3D Hockey games, the original NHL 2K, etc. I don't even know all the rules of hockey.

But this "review", along with a few others I have read and the PS2 demo of the game which I played at E3 have convinced me. Next time I go game shopping, I'm dropping $20 on this. Besides, I need another Live game to beat Supa in. ;)[/QUOTE]
How can you have ANOTHER when you dont have ONE to begin with? Hmm. :?

[quote name='Matt Young']Hey, I beat you once in Forza, and I'm undefeated against you in NBA 2K5. :p[/QUOTE]
Ah...Forza...how I miss you.

On the lookout for 2K6 when I head out to the store today.

I just played 2 games with it (one with the Duke, and one with the S), and it really seems to have a better feel with the Duke for some insane reason. From the little bit I've played, it feels like an extension of 2K5, which at this point, I'll call a good thing.

Also, any interest in a 2K6 CAGHL preseason tournament? A little online play against familiar faces to get the bearings straight...

[quote name='BigDirty']I just played 2 games with it (one with the Duke, and one with the S), and it really seems to have a better feel with the Duke for some insane reason. From the little bit I've played, it feels like an extension of 2K5, which at this point, I'll call a good thing.

Also, any interest in a 2K6 CAGHL preseason tournament? A little online play against familiar faces to get the bearings straight...[/QUOTE]

You can count me in, if it starts after this weekend and I would want the Penguins.

[quote name='FrankySox']IN 2k6 can you play a season with two users?[/QUOTE]

?

I'm begging you Cags, please help me out with this question, I probably wont get it if me and my buddy can't both play in the same season with two different teams.

i should be picking it up later this evening, i'm hoping for good things.

it's a shame about the soundtrack editor though. as dorky as it is, i was really looking forward to putting some scorin' and fightin' music into the game, as well as stompin' tom connors' classic "hockey song".

they should have just gone all out with the CBC guys. it would have ruled to have a "coach's corner" segment in between the first and second period.

I bought 2K6 yesterday and loving it as well.

At first, it felt a little slow though. Like skating, the shots, and just the overall gameplay. The camera is a zoomed out a bit too much though as well. Yeah, I know about the sliders and everything I just thought it was strange how zoomed out everything is.

I've played a couple online games so far and it's solid, just like last years. It took me a little bit to figure out how to accept challenges from the lobby though. :)

Oh yeah, I got to play NHL 06 also. Mind you, I haven't played the EA series since 99 but 06 just felt WAY too fast. Normal slap shots register 115-120 mph all the time. Wrist shots are like 90. They skate too fast too and the tempo is very arcady. It's still a fun game though but I'd rather take the more sim like 2k6 anyday.

BTW, Tojokun1 is my gamertag. If anyone wants to play, send me an invite. If anyone is going to do a little preseason league or something I'd be up for it too. I call the Red Wings!

ok, so i picked the game up, but i can't for the life of me figure out how to change the line changes to manual. if someone could clue me in i would appreciate it.

otherwise, the game is pretty solid. i like the total control passing or whatever is their buzz word for it, though it will take some getting used to.

[quote name='thatstoobad']ok, so i picked the game up, but i can't for the life of me figure out how to change the line changes to manual. if someone could clue me in i would appreciate it.

otherwise, the game is pretty solid. i like the total control passing or whatever is their buzz word for it, though it will take some getting used to.[/QUOTE]

Hold down the L trigger, hit the d-pad. In classic control, anyway.

[quote name='fxrival']Hold down the L trigger, hit the d-pad. In classic control, anyway.[/QUOTE]
i've tried that, and it seems to work about half the time, if that much.

i mainly mean setting the line changes to manual so you can choose which line you want out there prior to a faceoff, and also changing the strategy to manual so you have control over how the players line up. changing on the fly isn't really that big of a deal, but i want control in between play.

One of the worst things about this years version has to do with the line changes before a faceoff actually. The game literally gives you 1.5 seconds to change lines, even if you're the home team.

Ok, picked it up today....played 1 game and it seems ok. The controls seem good, except line changes are not that great. Oh well. For $15 I'm not going to complain. I did have to crank up the gamespeed a notch or two

Also....any ideas on when they will go rosters that are remotely close to the current rosters. The rosters suck in 2K6. It seems they don't have ANY free agent signings.

[quote name='doubledown']Also....any ideas on when they will go rosters that are remotely close to the current rosters. The rosters suck in 2K6. It seems they don't have ANY free agent signings.[/QUOTE]

If you have a Action Replay there are some good ones posted on Gamefaqs.com.

I'm really on the fence. I liked ESPN NHL 2K5, but the glitches in single player killed the entire game. From what I hear, 2K6 is the same way. I'm thinking the improved gameplay in NHL 06 might be the way to go.

[quote name='doubledown']Ok, picked it up today....played 1 game and it seems ok. The controls seem good, except line changes are not that great. Oh well. For $15 I'm not going to complain. I did have to crank up the gamespeed a notch or two[/QUOTE]

You mention for $15... is that using the GGC at Bestbuy? I can only find the one with the $29.99 restriction.

[quote name='FrankySox']?

Can you use two users in a season?

I'm begging you Cags, please help me out with this question, I probably wont get it if me and my buddy can't both play in the same season with two different teams.[/QUOTE]

Please!

[quote name='FrankySox']Please![/QUOTE]
sorry, i didn't notice the first time you asked.

yes, you can have two user teams in one season. in fact, all 30 teams can be user teams if you so desire.

[quote name='thatstoobad']sorry, i didn't notice the first time you asked.

yes, you can have two user teams in one season. in fact, all 30 teams can be user teams if you so desire.[/QUOTE]
Thank you ...THANK YOU! Give me your address and I'll send you a taco. Thanks again, definitely picking this up after work....oh yeah can you play a shortened season say something like 29 games or so?

[quote name='FrankySox']Thank you ...THANK YOU! Give me your address and I'll send you a taco. Thanks again, definitely picking this up after work....oh yeah can you play a shortened season say something like 29 games or so?[/QUOTE]
you can play a season that's less than 82 games...i don't remember what the options were offhand, but they were less than the full season.

[quote name='doubledown']Has there been any roster updates to D/L yet? I have the AR rosters, but they suck too.[/QUOTE]
only the one roster update, though i'm not so sure of how much it actually updates. i'm guessing that they'll release another, more complete update once either preseason or the actual season starts.

bread's done
Back