NHL 2K7 Demo up now - General Discussion

It's too fast and the new camera angles give me a headache. For the first time since the original 2K on dreamcast, I'm going to have to pass this year.

[quote name='Tojo'] For the first time since the original 2K on dreamcast, I'm going to have to pass this year.[/QUOTE]

QFT

This game feels so outdated. Gameplay is rehashed and 2k has taken the turn to adding redicuous features into their games instead of innovating gameplay.

Ok, so unless I'm missing something, the big things for this year's version are as follows:

- pre-game speeches by coaches
- extended "cinematic" cut scenes
- orchestral soundtrack

Ummm...where's the hockey stuff?

[quote name='slickkill77']stop being dumb. ea did the shoot out thing to show off their new stick controls. why else would they do that[/quote]???

[quote name='SteveMcQ']Ok, so unless I'm missing something, the big things for this year's version are as follows:

- pre-game speeches by coaches
- extended "cinematic" cut scenes
- orchestral soundtrack

Ummm...where's the hockey stuff?[/quote]

Exactly.

Why the fuck does it feel like I'm listening to the soundtrack to an action movie while I'm playing? I don't want an orchestra! I want a fucking organ. I want hard rock music. I want hard hitting sounds with a crowd reaction. fuck a trumpet playing when I'm approaching to do a one timer. I don't know if I'm playing Jurassic Park on ice or a hockey game at certain moments.

The pre-game speeches by the coaches offer nothing. No strategy, just some one liner about how my team should "give it's all". Forget that. I want to hear a coach tell me strategy about the team I'm playing against.

This is a hockey game, not a movie. I think 2K really dropped the ball with this one.

[quote name='danked']yeah wasnt impressed bye 2k .. but 07 had its flaws as well ... damn I so wanted a GOOD hockey game this year[/quote]

07? meaning EA's offering? How can you judge a shootout demo verses a single period demo if so?

Regarding 2K7. I just played the demo 5 times in a row and scored an average of 2 goals a game. Why is it that after every single goal, it never would replay my goal? It would show some jackass in the crowd clapping or telling his friend "wow that was a nice shot". I don't care what some computer animated person tells his crowd friend. I want to see replays of my awesome one timer that bounced off the post and slammed in the back of the net.

I find cameras intresting i like the sounds especially in 5.1 sounds like im on ice. graphic update from last year way better. Missing hocky stick like EA has , and some handling effects but overall I think it was pretty good way better update over last years.

[quote name='mtxbass1']07? meaning EA's offering? How can you judge a shootout demo verses a single period demo if so?

Regarding 2K7. I just played the demo 5 times in a row and scored an average of 2 goals a game. Why is it that after every single goal, it never would replay my goal? It would show some jackass in the crowd clapping or telling his friend "wow that was a nice shot". I don't care what some computer animated person tells his crowd friend. I want to see replays of my awesome one timer that bounced off the post and slammed in the back of the net.[/QUOTE]

Man, your impressions of the demo are hilarious... I'm tempted to download it just to see if the game is really as funny as you make it sound.

That thing with the crowd is the best.

its just a demo, the demo for 2k6 on xbox1 was the same thing chill out its all good just get a feel for the gameplay and turn up the difficulty apparently your good at hockey :D

To be honest the demos pretty much helped me to decide to pick up 2k7 over 07, I really don't like the new controls in 07 and I like the gameplay in the 2k series.

The replay thing isn't in demo of course and also their no announcers in demo to cut down size of file.

Played the demo twice and the scoring was way too easy. 1st game scored about 4 goals in under 2 min (I scored back to back goals in under 7 seconds). The only thing that I liked about the demo was the framerate, truly 60 FPS as advertised. Also, the game felt too much like the other NHL 2K games dating back to ESPN NHL. They need to make major improvements to the gameplay system.

I'll stick with 07 this year.

[quote name='Bazz']The replay thing isn't in demo of course and also their no announcers in demo to cut down size of file.[/quote]

I'm not talking about replay controls. I'm talking about the fact that every single game in the series up to this point would automatically replay my goal after it was made. One of the pure joys in 2K5 (I skipped 2K6) was the replays after a goal was made. Now, no matter how awesome the goal, I get some fake crowd or player reaction. We'll see what happens in the real game when it's reviewed sometime soon.

[quote name='TheRock88']Played the demo twice and the scoring was way too easy. 1st game scored about 4 goals in under 2 min (I scored back to back goals in under 7 seconds). The only thing that I liked about the demo was the framerate, truly 60 FPS as advertised. Also, the game felt too much like the other NHL 2K games dating back to ESPN NHL. They need to make major improvements to the gameplay system.

I'll stick with 07 this year.[/QUOTE]
Just to let you know that the default settings are alwasy really easy to score on. The full version of course you can change difficulty and sliders to make the game harder and the goalies and defense better. So no reason to say the game is to easy or to easy to score on when you are playing a demo set on the second easiest settings. Whenever there is a sports demo someone states that its to easy and there is a reason for that. I do agree the demo was easy to score on but like I said its on the second easiest. Anyway I thought the demo was decent, I just dont know if it warrants another 60 bucks. I havent bought an EA hockey game since 02 I think was the last. This might be the year I go back to EA.

The demo seemed ok. Graphically it looks crisper than last year. The new camera angle is interesting. It still feels like the same game as last year though. We'll see.....I may wait for a price drop since I'm overloaded with games anyways.

I'm a huge 2k fanboy since 2k4... and i've got to say that i was unimpressed by 2k7 for the 360.

It's the same old engine since 2k3 and it looks dated. The goalies just look ridiculous compared to ea's 07 demo. Anyone noticed they have the bubblehead syndrome :p

Doesn't make me feel like i'm playing a next-gen title at all. I know they have tons of sliders to make it feel more sim-ish but all the old tricks still work. meh...

I'll pass on 2K this year and give EA a shot. I really enjoy playing with the new controls.

[quote name='guyver2077']K so this is the 2k version[/quote]

yes. Hence the "2K" in the game title.

After playing both, I can't help but feel that NHL 2007 is more polished overall than the 2K games, and that hurts to say, because i've been playing the 2K games over the EA games since the Dreamcast days.

I can't put my finger on it.. the camera angles are different, the gameplay feels weird.. EA's new control thing hooked me in, i'll be going with 2007 this year.

ive never played a nhl 2k game, and im not really impressed with this. It seems to move a little fast, and pulling a quick slapshot is a pain because you ahve to hold it for like a second before he even brings his stick up. 07 has better graphics as well, and well, its always nice to have a good lookin game.

[quote name='Murcielago77']heres a scan of the egm reviews of both nhl games
[/quote]

thanks..

anyways that orchestra music has to go!

[quote name='Murcielago77']heres a scan of the egm reviews of both nhl games
[/quote]

:D

"one timer after one timer (que up the braveheart music) after one timer"

hahaha

The more I play the 2K7 demo the more I like it.

It's funny how they can right a review about both games but only write one sentence about the franchise mode, nothing about online play or leagues. Weak reviews imo.

bread's done
Back