NICE:Audigy 2 + Full PC Halo/Splinter Cell/Jedi Academy/Raven Shield/TR = 100AR

Admiral Ackbar

CAGiversary!
Feedback
25 (100%)
This is from hadji at Fatwallet. So for all you fatwalleters you might have seen this. There's some discussion to it's hotness. But I think it's smoking.

At Amazon you can get an Audigy 2 7.1 Sound Card that comes with FULL PC versions of the games for $100 after $35 rebate.

Halo (85% Gameranking) - Retails for $50
Splinter Cell (90% Gameranking) Retails for $30
Jedi Academy (80% Gameranking) Retails for $50
Raven Shield (85% Gameranking) Retails for $50
Tomb Raider (50% the only lame game of the bunch) Retails around $15.

I know, Halo and Splinter Cell combined for the x-box are around $35. But even so, do the math, and the first four games have a total value of around $120-$130 dollars. And you get a 7.1 soundcard with all the bells and whistles!

Cheap ass link

If there's any doubt about what you're buying, (There was confusion on FW because there's no pic), look at the rebate. It confirms the package with a pic.

Also, watch out for the FW effect. LAst night Best Buy was selling a regular Audigy 2 6.1 for $55 and it sold out in a snap. I think for gamers this is a much better deal because of the game package. But it's not considered as hot because there's a rebate involved and it's still around $100 in total.

Note: Fixed link. After testing I noticed it accidentally went to my shopping cart.

I have been trying hard to resist this since I saw it posted on FW, and now you post it here too? Why must you taunt me.

I am weak. And now, I am poor (well, poorer than I was).

Edit: I kind of needed a firewire port anyway, so I used that to justify the purchase. Pretty lame, huh?

Yeah, I saw the FatWallet deal this morning and jumped on it. I think this is a really good deal. The only game I have already is Splinter Cell.

Now I just need to find a deal on the Creative Labs GigaWorks S750 to go along with the card. :lol:

Sweet stuff.

Herse

I was thinking of getting an SB Live 5.1 for my next computer. They're less than $20 and quite adequete for gaming and music. Just the other day BB was selling the Audigy 2 6.1 for $55. That sold out in a couple hours. But this is much better.

I already have Halo and Splinter Cell. But the way I see it, I was going to buy JA eventually. Probably when it

Ordered one, never finished Halo or Splinter Cell on Xbox and have been wanting to play Halo online. Also was interested in Raven Shield.

Thanks.

I've just been using my onboard sound up til now. I have some nice 2.1 speaklers, and they sound fine right now. Would it make that big of a difference in sound if I were to get this card?

[quote name='pinoy530']I've just been using my onboard sound up til now. I have some nice 2.1 speaklers, and they sound fine right now. Would it make that big of a difference in sound if I were to get this card?[/quote]

That's a very subjective question. One I can't honestly answer. If you get a larger speaker system it would probably be noticeable. But it's like asking the difference between a 128k MP3 and a 192 K mp3. Some people will know a difference immediately, others would notice no difference, and some in a blind test might say the 128 sounds better.

One thing I can say is that sound card will probably free up around 5% of system resources. Not a lot, but every little bit adds up when getting a good framerate.

If you just want to get this for the soundcard, and don't care about the games, you might do better with something cheaper. Maybe an SBlive 5.1 for around $20 but that won't be much better than the latest motherboard codec. A definite step up Santa Cruz for around $40 or an AUdigy 1 for

good luck trading in pc games to EB, they are horrible. I traded in Jedi Academy and only got $7, dont expect to get much more than $8 or $9 for $50 PC games.

^^He's right, the trade in value sucks, I have never seen a deal where they do trade in 3-4 pc games and get one free either.
I think about 6 months ago i took a few up there and got about $13 a peice for : Battlefield 1942, Black Hawk Down.

Got my card in today. Does include all the games. Ordered it yesterday with SS Shiping and received it next day! Can't beat that.

They're still in stock. Rebate expires 4/8. Two days left. Also, it limits 2 rebates for household. Most rebates limit one, so you could buy 2 copies if you want. But i'm set with one.

[quote name='Admiral Ackbar']One thing I can say is that sound card will probably free up around 5% of system resources. Not a lot, but every little bit adds up when getting a good framerate.[/quote]

That's a really good point, especially if you use your PC for gaming (and why wouldn't you?). I don't know how well onboard sound has improved recently, but if you're using it for games with 3D positioning effects, it's probably taking up a lot more than 5% resources. Even without some of the EAX or other effects turned on, a lot of games have some simple 3D sound systems that are really hard on the motherboard sound systems. I'm pretty sure that a sound card can help a lot, and will let you turn on some of the special sound effects.

Does anyone here know more about onboard sound? I have to admit that I've never had a computer using this. I've seen some articles on it and used them a couple of times, and they do seem to make a performance difference, entirely apart from the quality of the sound.

are the games just cd cases and manuals? just curious as to how they package them. I like putting stuff on my shelf, and wanna know how they would look.

[quote name='regisphilbi0']are the games just cd cases and manuals? just curious as to how they package them. I like putting stuff on my shelf, and wanna know how they would look.[/quote]

Just opened my box. They're game disks are packaged in white CD envelopes. They look just like the game disks. A couple like Halo and Raven shield are marked in small print "OEM" and "Not for resale." I guess other than that the disks look exactly like they would if you bought new. But there are no manuals. Hopefully they're on disck. There are also no jewel cases. Finally, the CD Keys for some of the games are on the white envelopes, so you'll need to keep those.

bread's done
Back