nike skateboarding's new "major threat" ad campaign - it's like screaming at a wall

thatstoobad

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
i didn't see this posted yet, so...

152514.jpg

69e1hl.jpg

the image on the top, as many of you well know, is the cover of minor threat's discography cd. the image on the bottom, as many of you may not know yet, is the new ad campaign for nike's skateboarding tour.

here's what dischord records said about nike:
[quote name='"dischord records"']"No, they stole it and we're not happy about it. Nike is a giant corporation which is attempting to manipulate the alternative skate culture to create an even wider demand for their already ubiquitous brand. Nike represents just about the antithesis of what Dischord stands for and it makes me sick to my stomach to think they are using this explicit imagery to fool kids into thinking that the general ethos of this label, and Minor Threat in particular, can somehow be linked to Nike's mission. It's disgusting."[/quote]

lame.

Nike?

Can't think up their own commercial and advertising?

Holy shit, I thought that's all they did these days. You mean they do something else?

[quote name='Cracka']come on, is that the best the 8 yr old chinese workers could come up with?[/QUOTE]

Hey now, their hands are very small so it's hard for them to cut & paste. :lol:

[quote name='Haggar']From a legal standpoint, Nike's image is different enough. I don't see what the big deal is.

By the way, here's some Minor Threat merchandise available at Hot Topic:

http://www.hottopic.com/store/searchSKU.asp?LS=0&DOIT=YES&SSTR=minor+threat[/QUOTE]

Nobody said it was the exact same image, but the near-identical similarities are undeniable. In addition, the text is the same, the wording is very similar... really the only difference is that they stuck the guy in Nike's and chose a different color. What pricks.

Its the same font!, also whats with the XXX? Unless it has some alternate nike meaning, Its sXe and that just makes Nike even guiltier for putting it in.
I hope they get sued for billions and learn their lesson.

I find it disgusting that they can take something so honest in its creation, steal it and turn it into some crap commercial for shite shoes. They should really be ashamed of themselves. The fact that they wont admit they stole it is fucking messed up too.

At first glance, I thought both images were the same thing. Yeah...I have to agree with Discord Records. Thats not cool.

[quote name='Noodle Pirate!']Its the same font!, also whats with the XXX? Unless it has some alternate nike meaning, Its sXe and that just makes Nike even guiltier for putting it in.
I hope they get sued for billions and learn thier lesson.

I find it disgusting that they can take something so honest in its creation, steal it and turn it into some crap commercial for shite shoes. They should really be ashamed of themselves. The fact that they wont admit they stole it is fucking messed up too.[/QUOTE]

they're trying to bring in the Vin Diesel fans too with the XXX

[quote name='Cracka']they're trying to bring in the Vin Diesel fans too with the XXX[/QUOTE]
Vin Diesel has been every member of the Beetles at some point or another. Especially Ringo.

With that out of the way...I really don't see how Nike can defend themselves here. Their image is an incredibly close match to the Dischord one, and I think that this would constitute plagiarism.

How long ago was the Dischord image released?

[quote name='peteloaf']The album that the artwork is from was released in 1984, in BLUE no less...
http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:5ar67ub080j3

Also the way Major Threat is written to the side is in a VERY similar style the the way it is written on the cover of many of thier EP's, t-shirts, etc...[/QUOTE]

To be fair, the CD, lp, and cassette were all different releases (the lp and cassette had much fewer songs), and IIRC, the cassette had the blue cover.

If you're dumb enough to buy Nikes, you're dumb enough to believe that this is some sort of legitimate endorsement by a band that's been 20 years broken up.

(full disclosure: I buy one pair of Converse All-Stars per year)

myke.

[quote name='snotnose_colossal']who the fuck buys nike skate shoes anyway[/QUOTE]
I do. Nike Dunk SBs are my favorite shoes.

bread's done
Back