Nine Inch Nails General Discussion (NEW ALBUM! THE SLIP, 100% FREE!!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sporadic

CAGiversary!
Feedback
53 (100%)
Nine Inch Nails

69f3ad86ab6a797cf44d4fbvl9.jpg

emotsireniq0.gif
BREAKING NEWS:
emotsireniq0.gif
Footage of Echoplex, Letting You and 1,000,000 from rehearsals.

http://pitchfork.tv/special-presentation/nine-inch-nails-live-from-rehearsals/1000000

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/artic...entation-live-from-rehearsals-part-3-echoplex

http://pitchfork.tv/special-presentation/nine-inch-nails-live-from-rehearsals/letting-you

6.26.2008: The Slip Download Map
We are hard at work preparing for the upcoming tour. Lots of new surprises in store, and a stage that makes my head hurt thinking about it (kind of in a good way... kind of).

Anyway, our computer wizards presented some data to us in an interesting way and we thought we'd share it with you. CLICK HERE to download a Google Earth KML file representing downloads of our latest record The Slip according to geographic region. We've had just over 1,400,000 people download The Slip from our site since its release May 5th (that number represents individual people, and excludes multiple downloads from the same order), and this map displays ONLY downloads that came directly from us.

To open the file, make sure you have the Google Earth software installed first. If the KML doesn't open automatically, find the downloaded file on your hard drive and double-click it. Once it's open, you'll want to turn off other layers for the best view. Slower computers might have some trouble running this file.

PLUS TWO UNRELEASED SONGS FROM GHOSTS! Ghosts 37 & 38 http://www.megaupload.com/?d=LOGI9ZWQ

Most Current Release: The Slip

splashgb6.jpg

as a thank you to our fans for your continued support, we are giving away the new nine inch nails album one hundred percent free, exclusively via nin.com.

the music is available in a variety of formats including high-quality MP3, FLAC or M4A lossless at CD quality and even higher-than-CD quality 24/96 WAVE. your link will include all options - all free. all downloads include a PDF with artwork and credits.

43:45 of new music. Avaliable for free at http://theslip.nin.com/ with a CD/vinyl release coming in July.

Summary: Nine Inch Nails is Trent Reznor.

Nine Inch Nails (known as NIN for short) was formed in Cleveland, Ohio, circa 1988, and have so far released six full-length studio albums, as well as many EPs, remix albums, and live releases. Reznor is the only official member and has always been solely responsible for the musical direction of the band. His lyrics are largely concerned with the exploration of the self, but with Year Zero, the lyrical focus has shifted somewhat. After recording a new album, the assembly of a new band usually follows, along with extensive touring; the live component of Nine Inch Nails is largely considered a separate entity from NIN in the recording studio. NIN's live shows often involve visually spectacular elements such as screens which were used on the With Teeth Arena Tour, Self Destruct and Fragility tours, and often culminate with the destruction of musical instruments. The current live lineup is Trent Reznor, Alessandro Cortini, Robin Finck, Rich Fownes and Josh Freese.

TOUR DATES:
07-25 Pemberton, British Columbia - Pemberton Festival
07-26 Seattle, WA - Key Arena at Seattle Center *
07-28 Edmonton, Alberta - Rexall Place *
07-29 Calgary, Alberta - Pengrowth Saddledome *
07-31 Winnipeg, Manitoba - MTS Centre *
08-02 Minneapolis, MN - Target Center *
08-03 Chicago, IL - Lollapalooza
08-05 Toronto, Ontario - Air Canada Centre !
08-07 Uncasville, CT - Mohegan Sun Arena !
08-08 Worcester, MA - DCU Center !
08-09-10 Baltimore, MD - Virgin Mobile Festival
08-12 Knoxville, TN - Knoxville Civic Coliseum !
08-13 Duluth, GA - Gwinnett Arena !
08-15 Oklahoma City, OK - Ford Center #
08-16 Houston, TX - Toyota Center #
08-18 Dallas, TX - American Airlines Center #
08-20 Saint Louis, MO - Scottrade Center #
08-22 Cleveland, OH - Quicken Loans Arena $
08-23 Auburn Hills, MI - Palace of Auburn Hills $
08-25 Toledo, OH Seagate Convention Center #
08-27 East Rutherford, NJ - Izod Center $
08-29 Philadelphia, PA - Wachovia Center $
08-31 Lexington, KY - Rupp Arena &
09-02 Morrison, CO - Red Rocks Amphitheater !
09-03 Salt Lake, City UT - The E Center of West Valley !
09-05 Oakland, CA - Oracle Arena !
09-06 Inglewood, CA - The Forum !
10-24/26 New Orleans, LA - Voodoo Music Experience

* with Crystal Castles
! with Deerhunter
# with A Place to Bury Strangers
$ with Does It Offend You, Yeah?
& with White Williams

PAST NEWS: - [quote name='nin.com']6.13.2008: The Slip retail information
We're releasing a sales sheet to retail today, so some of you clever buggers will undoubtedly unearth this valuable information! Let me make it easy for you:

The Slip will be available in an individually numbered 2 disc, 6 panel digipak & double gatefold vinyl.
The digi will be LIMITED to 250,000 pieces only, each individually numbered, and will include a DVD of NIN performing live tracks from The Slip at rehearsals, a 24-page booklet, and an exclusive sticker pack.

UPDATE: The same limited edition digipak will now be released everywhere - limited to 250,000 worldwide. This will be the only version of the digipak available.

The gatefold vinyl release contains 1 LP (180 gram vinyl) and a 24-page booklet (vinyl is not limited or numbered).

CD Street Date (US & Canada): July 22, 2008
CD Street Date (UK & Europe): July 21, 2008
Vinyl Street Date (US & Canada): August 5, 2008
Vinyl Street Date (UK & Europe): August 4, 2008
Japan and Australia release info is TBA

The Slip will remain free for download indefinitely from theslip.nin.com.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Trent Reznor']30 April 2008: appearing with nine inch nails
I am proud to announce the following acts will be performing with us on select dates.

Deerhunter
Crystal Castles
Does It Offend You, Yeah?
A Place To Bury Strangers
White Williams

Check the performance page to see who plays what date.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='nin.com']UNIQUE TOUR FAN CLUB OFFERS Best Seats Available Exclusively via Limited NIN.com Personalized Pre-Sale

Presales for the upcoming tour are about to begin. Presales for the Lexington, KY show will open on Wednesday, with many more shows starting up early next week. We've been working very hard to get the best tickets in the hands of the fans, bypassing scalpers, ticket resellers, and ticketing agencies... This has been a difficult process to bring together outside of The Spiral, and frankly, it's a work in progress. The presale system you'll be using for this tour does everything we set out to do, but as of right now ticket purchasing requires a few more steps than we'd prefer. You can expect a more streamlined system for future tours, but for now, here's what to expect:

First, you'll need to be a nin.com member to access presales. If you haven't already, register for free at remix.nin.com (click "register" once you're at the site), or log in with your Spiral username/password (Spiral members: If you've changed your Spiral password since November 2007, you may need to use your old password to login).

Then, subscribe to the news feed, or keep an eye on nin.com for presale announcements. The first announcement, regarding the Lexington show, will go up tomorrow.

When you purchase presale tickets, you'll need to enter your legal name exactly as it appears on your identification. When you arrive at the show, there will be a designated entrance for nin.com presale ticket holders. Present your ID at the entrance and you'll receive your personalized ticket, which will have your name on it (no tickets will be sent out in advance). You'll then have to enter the venue immediately. This process is an effort to ensure that our presale tickets are purchased only by fans who are attending the show, and are useless to scalpers and ticket brokers.

More specific presale information will be posted tomorrow and in the coming days.

P.S. - purchasing presale tickets from nin.com will generally be less expensive than from public outlets.[/QUOTE]

Nine Inch Nails and Stone Temple Pilots have been confirmed for the Voodoo Experience's tenth-anniversary celebration this October 24, 25, 26 in New Orleans. A special presale of a limited number of $100, three-day weekend tickets will go on sale Friday, May 2 at www.thetenthritual.com

I bet new album/EP

we have pretty hate machine, downward spiral, fragile, with teeth, and Year Zero. I wonder what the new one would be called?

I still havent recieved my order of Ghosts I-IV... If I dont get it before the new one I wont be purchasing. Is he trying to churn out albums to try to make DD become standard faster?

I'm curious now too, what's the "Free Spiral" you made reference to?

A new EP would be awesome, but I'm not too sure I see it happening this soon. Just received Ghosts in the mail last week.

[quote name='matrixcaptain84']I'm curious now too, what's the "Free Spiral" you made reference to?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']Also, what is this free Spiral?[/QUOTE]

The Spiral, it was a paid fan club.

They made the announcement that it was going to be free with the new nin.com that's coming soon.

[quote name='TR on 4/11/08']We have been busy preparing a much-improved online experience for nin.com, which we will begin to unveil next month. The new nin.com will incorporate much of the interactivity and benefits presently offered on The Spiral, but a paid membership will no longer be required. A free nin.com account will be all that is needed to access the features of the new site, and The Spiral in its current form will no longer remain active. As we get closer to the upgrade, we’ll be making more information available to existing Spiral members to better prepare for the transition to the new site.

Ticket pre-sales will still be available on the new site - all nin.com members will have the opportunity to pre-purchase great seats on a per-show basis. Details will be forthcoming with ample time before on-sale dates.

For right now, you can become a nin.com member by registering at remix.nin.com - if you're a Spiral member, your existing username and password will be preserved on the new site, as it is on the remix site.

We're very excited to begin offering a wide range of improved interactivity to all nine inch nails fans, all for free.[/QUOTE]

--------------

[quote name='karmapolice']Is he trying to churn out albums to try to make DD become standard faster?[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't call this churning out albums. He's made one experimental album and now he's (probably) going to release a traditional album/EP

This is more like trying to make up for loss time now that he's sober. No more 5 years between albums :bouncy:

[quote name='matrixcaptain84']I'm curious now too, what's the "Free Spiral" you made reference to?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']Also, what is this free Spiral?[/QUOTE]

The Spiral, it was a paid fan club.

They made the announcement that it was going to be free with the new nin.com that's coming soon.

[quote name='TR']We have been busy preparing a much-improved online experience for nin.com, which we will begin to unveil next month. The new nin.com will incorporate much of the interactivity and benefits presently offered on The Spiral, but a paid membership will no longer be required. A free nin.com account will be all that is needed to access the features of the new site, and The Spiral in its current form will no longer remain active. As we get closer to the upgrade, we’ll be making more information available to existing Spiral members to better prepare for the transition to the new site.

Ticket pre-sales will still be available on the new site - all nin.com members will have the opportunity to pre-purchase great seats on a per-show basis. Details will be forthcoming with ample time before on-sale dates.

For right now, you can become a nin.com member by registering at remix.nin.com - if you're a Spiral member, your existing username and password will be preserved on the new site, as it is on the remix site.

We're very excited to begin offering a wide range of improved interactivity to all nine inch nails fans, all for free.[/QUOTE]

--------------

[quote name='karmapolice']Is he trying to churn out albums to try to make DD become standard faster?[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't call this churning out albums. He made one experimental album and now he's (probably) going to release a traditional album/EP

This is more like trying to make up for loss time now that he's sober. No more 5 years between albums :bouncy:

[quote name='rabbitt']I'm curious who'll be the opening act for nin.[/QUOTE]

I can see it being Marilyn Manson..........

Maybe Trent already had a "proper" album in the can, but he wanted to test out his digital distribution model on a more experimental project like Ghosts first?

It's a smart idea. Introduce the public to your digital distribution method with an album that, under normal circumstances, would be of somewhat marginal appeal. Regardless of how well this album sells, you're already creating a buzz, raising awareness, and testing the waters for future releases.

Now that Trent has proven that his method works (and made a ton of money on an instrumental project that normally would have been embraced only by hardcore fans), he can release a "normal" album without any fear that it will get swept under the radar.

So yeah, I don't wanna get my hopes up, but another new album definitely isn't out of the question in my opinion!

[quote name='Sporadic']Here's a crazy theory.

Some people are saying that he could finally be releasing the long awaited Tapeworm album since a cryptic message was also left on toolarmy.com

I highly doubt it but again, it's fun to speculate![/quote]

Oh man that would be awesome!

FM 102.1 (WLUM) in Milwalkuee (However you spell that) is debuting a new NIN song today that actually has words.

a single "discipline" just got released to radio today. it was mastered yesterday.

I was just driving in Seattle and 107.7 The End just played a new NIN song called "Discipline". 2 weeks indeed!

NEW SONG! NEW SONG!

Man, Trent is cranking out the music lately. It used to be you'd have to wait years between proper NIN albums whilst being sustained on a diet of remix CDs, but now it seems like every few months a new one is coming out.

I NEED YOUR DISCIPLINE
BECAUSE ONCE I START I CANNOT STOP MYSELF

definite "Only" vibe here but more melodic

I'm loving it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[quote name='Sporadic']Here's a crazy theory.

Some people are saying that he could finally be releasing the long awaited Tapeworm album since a cryptic message was also left on toolarmy.com

I highly doubt it but again, it's fun to speculate![/quote]

I would crap myself if this was the case.

[quote name='javeryh']I would crap myself if this was the case.[/QUOTE]

I'd guess it isn't the case since the radio has just gotten a new song that they've said multiple times is a new Nine Inch Nails song

[quote name='BustaUppa']I NEED YOUR DISCIPLINE
BECAUSE ONCE I START I CANNOT STOP MYSELF

definite "Only" vibe here but more melodic

I'm loving it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/quote]

Upload it somewhere.

Please?

[quote name='evilmregg']Man, Trent is cranking out the music lately. It used to be you'd have to wait years between proper NIN albums whilst being sustained on a diet of remix CDs, but now it seems like every few months a new one is coming out.[/quote]

It's better to have it this way with Trent sustaining himself creatively and artistically, then to have to wait years like we once did and then have the ultra super depressed Trent. Also, I hope it's another cd. I'll definitely be picking it up.

[quote name='BustaUppa']Maybe Trent already had a "proper" album in the can, but he wanted to test out his digital distribution model on a more experimental project like Ghosts first?

It's a smart idea. Introduce the public to your digital distribution method with an album that, under normal circumstances, would be of somewhat marginal appeal. Regardless of how well this album sells, you're already creating a buzz, raising awareness, and testing the waters for future releases.

Now that Trent has proven that his method works (and made a ton of money on an instrumental project that normally would have been embraced only by hardcore fans), he can release a "normal" album without any fear that it will get swept under the radar.

So yeah, I don't wanna get my hopes up, but another new album definitely isn't out of the question in my opinion![/quote]

Hmm..I like your theories. It makes sense. I guess Trent was doing some more experimenting, as he did with Saul's album. I don't really mind. Ghosts was phenomenal for an instrumental album. What's great about this distribution method is that it drums up support for the artist and promotion for when the actual cd is released. It doesn't hurt that Trent put out 2 cds for $10 (effectively $5 apiece) either.

Anyway, anyone know when Saul's album will be released on CD?

Man, Trent is a writing/recording machine! This song sounds very With Teeth-ish. I was hoping for a Year Zero 2 sound, but hey, any new music is good music. If he releases another new album in 2 weeks, I'll die.

[quote name='Trent Reznor']Hello everyone. Lots going on...

Some of you may have heard a new Nine Inch Nails track on your radio today. You will be able to download your own copy of the track right here later tonight for free - stop back in a few hours.

What else is going on? Hmmn. We're considering a real-time live webcast of me signing 2,500 copies of the just-arrived, super-ultra-mega-deluxe GHOSTS edition all day Thursday. These really turned out great and I can't wait to sign EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM.

We have some tour info coming... SOON (I know you love that word) as well as some other info about something else, too.[/QUOTE]

:lol: Awesome

i'm enjoying this song quite a bit, although it does have a sort of with teeth vibe to it. not in a bad way, though; it just reminds me of some of the better songs off that album; it's catchy, has cleaner vocals on it, but still has a bit of an "edge" to it. i like the bits where it almost sounds like it was an uncorrected outtake (his half muttering of a word in the beginning and about a fourth of the way through the song).

i dunno, like many others i'm hoping this means at least a new EP. creatively, he seems to be completely liberated by having no label to answer to. as someone else said, imagine what would happen if he did the same kind of release as the ghosts with a "real" album. without having to wait for any sort of marketing hype machine to power itself up and push the album to radio and consumers before releasing any type of record, he was able to put out an experimental record nearly at random and make over a million off of it. i'd imagine we'll be seeing a lot more output from him in the future if he never has to deal with all that record label red tape bullshit.

edit: i see i was beaten to the "with teeth" comment. oh well. also, i'm in favor of a general NIN thread as well.

I heard Discipline on the radio today too - thought it was pretty good. Not the biggest NIN fan so wasn't sure if it was a new song or not since i tuned in halfway. Was gonna look it up then saw the title here =]

Good song. Bit of an letdown in a way that there isn't any chopped up sample loops like there has been in the past for the other trackpacks (ie: Only). But it should be fun remixing this song regardless.

Here's my question from the last thread (assuming we're not using it anymore):

What are some good (or the best) Nine Inch Nails songs? Im trying to get in to them because of a friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back