NINJA GAIDEN SIGMA 2 is $19.99 NEW @ Gamestop BUY THIS GAME

I passed on it when it was 12.48 at Target(clearance). Is it a good game? I played a Ninja Gaiden game on the original xbox and didn't like it.

only buy this game if you're into S&M or you have the patients of Ghandi. This game is fiendishly hard and you will die about 1,000,000 times. Just sayin'.

I bought this as part of the B2G1 sale awhile back. I still haven't finished the first one. Hell, I haven't even beat the crazy fire horse boss at the end of the first stage. Need to get back to it.

I don't understand why it's taking so long for this game to go down in price, should be $20-30 by default now. Koei-Tecmo must be stubborn.

[quote name='tenchi']only buy this game if you're into S&M or you have the patients of Ghandi. This game is fiendishly hard and you will die about 1,000,000 times. Just sayin'.[/QUOTE]

Nah dude. This iteration is incredibly easy,

[quote name='Kaijuboy']Ninja Gaiden (xbox)
Ninja Gaiden Black (xbox, adds in previously online-only "Hurricane Packs" DLC content)
Ninja Gaiden Sigma (PS3, "Black" plus new stages, playable characters, improved gfx, etc)
Ninja Gaiden 2 (360)
Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 (PS3 version of NG2 plus new stages, playable characters, improved gfx, etc)

Hope that helps. :)[/QUOTE]

Oh man thanks, that really helped!

I approve of the BUY THIS GAME in the NIER thread because lazy Joystiq reviewers screwed that game out of so many sales, but NGS2 is a horrible game and not even worth the $10 I paid for it at Sears.

The Sigma series is definitely a downgrade from the original releases. Sure, Team Ninja made them more accessible by lowering the difficulty levels, but ultimately, what they aimed to do was dilute the experience and add a bunch of jiggling girls to sell the games (levels which I found to be rather pointless).

That said, NG2 wasn't all that great, either, though in my book it bests Sigma 2 merely on the ground that NG2 was Itagaki's vision. Sigma 2 was built long after Itagaki left and was ultimately just a way for Tecmo to milk the NG franchise a little bit more.

NG2 is however a pain in the arse to play. Some gamers just don't have the time to play the way old-schoolers used to play (i.e. sit down and master a game's dynamics to near perfection).

I agree that Black is better than all the NG games thus far. I also had a lot more time to play back then than now.

I'd save your money and grab NG3 ... if you can find this for $10 or less, then bite on it. $20 is still too much IMHO for this. There are a lot of better action games out there now. I'd grab DMC4, Vanquish or Bayonetta before this one.

One magical Japanese man's vision does not a good game make, and given the amount of people involved in video game development, "So and so's Vision" isn't really a correct phrase anyway.

One of my PSN friends says this game is way more "hardcore" than the 360 one. I never played Sigma 2 but the achievemnts in NG2 are ridiculous (beat the whole game using one weapon and you get 5 points lol). I beat NG2 and thought it wasn't too hard but it definitely had annoying moments. I was debating on getting NG2 Sigma for the co-op but I heard it's pointless and tacked on.

Btw, I just got back from Best Buy and they have this game for the same price as GS.

[quote name='RollingSkull']One magical Japanese man's vision does not a good game make, and given the amount of people involved in video game development, "So and so's Vision" isn't really a correct phrase anyway.[/QUOTE]

Sure, just having THE guy doesn't make a great game. Even having Miyamoto can't save certain games (Star Fox Adventures comes to mind). That said, Ninja Gaiden's revival on the Xbox and its later iterations (with the exception of Sigma 2) ARE Itakagi's games. Of course, other developers are involved but Itakagi is the man leading the charge and making sure the game fits into his idea of what it should be.

I'm not sure where you're going with criticizing my "vision" comment. We hear it all the time and it makes perfect sense to me. The ipod, iphone and Apple's industry decisions are planned and executed as part of Steve Jobs' vision. Mario, Zelda, and the many iterations have been projects led by the visionary Miyamoto and he crafts and nurtures each game to fit his vision of what he wants it to be. Tim Schaffer certainly does the same as the leader for Psychonauts and the recent Brutal Legend. And of course, there's David Jaffe and his Twisted Metal and God of War games.

Itakagi games have a certain flavor to them. They're gritty, unsympathetic, and tightly programmed pieces of software. Just because other people are involved doesn't mean they're coming up with what the game should be from a holistic standpoint.

There's a reason why Itagaki was always the pointman on these games. He designed them; he ensured the character and spirit of the titles matched the vision he had for them. Games that lose their original creators tend to suffer and those who play them often can sense that something went wrong (remember the latter stages of Super Mario Sunshine and how unnatural or clanky they felt? might be because Miyamoto took his hands off the project towards the end. Or remember GoW3 and how the story went WTF at the end? Might be because Jaffe never led that project.)

Lead directors matter a LOT. Whenever new games are announced, I always look to see who's behind the director's chair. Is it a Schaffer? Mikami? or a Miyamoto? Stamper Bros.? Or Hashimoto? Their games are usually not only good, but bring a certain character/style along with them.

Seriously, how can one say a game doesn't follow a director's vision? We make that association all the time for movies; it's no different here.

[quote name='VaRIABLE SoUL']One of my PSN friends says this game is way more "hardcore" than the 360 [/QUOTE]

Nope..the 360 is much more hardcore. I have the original 1250/1250 and nothing in sigma 2 was harder than the 360 MNM. Heck, the mentor missions were harder than the entire MNM campaign. Sigma 2 was the same campaign each time, they didn't even swap up enemies for the most part, they just added hit damage, which made the game just sit back and hold a UT, rinse and repeat.

And I agree, without Itagaki it made the game different. Honestly I thought sigma 1 couldve been as good as NGB but the Rachel missions butchered the pace. And it was a tad easier after stage 3, but the first 3 were actually harder on sigma 1. I will say that sigma 1 had a ruthlessly hard mission mode too.

I read every single post in this thread, and still can't figure out whether NGS2 is better or worse than NG2.

@mr_bungle: You seem to be pretty passionate about your assertion that NG2 is superior to NGS2. Have you played and fully beat both versions of the game?

[quote name='twztid13']this. also the blood vs purple mist is an easy win for NG2. i love the extra characters & polish on NGS2, but it doesn't feel like a NG game w/o the challenge. i hope they don't screw NG3 up.

thanks for the update, OP. sucks cuz shipping + tax kills it for me. i have GS cred that i could use to avoid shipping & taxes, but my local GS has no new copies & i'm not buying a used GS copy (on principle) cuz they are NEVER mint/complete (so they are too hard to trade/resale). still plan on getting NG2 again when i find it for 10$ (which is what i paid for my original brand new copy at a WM pricematch of a BB ad).[/QUOTE]

if u mean buying used games from gamestop.com then yeah, they suck..but black fri weekend and last week i bought 12 used ps3 games from gamestop stores (buy 2 get 1 free weekend and then powerup rewards coupon) and they were ALL mint/complete. hell, they even gave me a brand new assassins creed that was opened because the first disc they gave me had minor smudging and i complained. u just have to ask to see the discs first..and blu rays are pretty hard to scratch anyways. oh yeah- i'd rather play genji...on PS2.. then play this game again. seriously.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='sTaTIx']I read every single post in this thread, and still can't figure out whether NGS2 is better or worse than NG2.

@mr_bungle: You seem to be pretty passionate about your assertion that NG2 is superior to NGS2. Have you played and fully beat both versions of the game?[/QUOTE]
NGS2 - less enemies more damage new characters. Up to you to decide if its good

I own every revision of Ninja Gaiden (2004 series)... and after trying to play NG2 for 360 on (at the time) brand new 2008 hardware, every treasure chest would spawn a loading icon, which annoyed the piss out of me to the point of not playing it. Installation to the HDD didn't make a difference.

That said, NGS2 is completely playable with minimal load times. I'd recommend that version to anyone on the fence, especially now that prices are comparable between the two.

After reading all this, it is pretty easy to sum up the two sides of the fence:

Ninja Gaiden 2 (Xbox) = Better because it's harder

Ninja Gaiden 2 (PS3) = Better because it's easier (more in line with other beat'em ups)

That's it. In any other series, the PS3 would probably get the props because hard is not always a good thing. But this is Ninja Gaiden, where it's revival of on the Xbox was due to not just the graphics but hardcore difficulty (praised the same way DMC3 was). So, it depends: Do you want an cool action game or Ninja Gaiden?

I ordered Ninja Gaiden Sigma 1 and 2 used on Gamestop.com for a combined 24 bucks. They came today, with cases (although NGS1 doesn't have a manual), which is great, except they gave me to ninja gaiden sigma discs XD

At least I was going to go to Gamestop soon anyways...

It isn't really the difficulty that makes the game good. It's the combat system and balancing in these NG games and similar stuff like DMC.

Take Bayonetta, it's a hell of a lot easier than the other stylish actioners but I'd take it any day of the week over NG or DMC.

Actually it's a mix of difficulty and combat. NG games have never been about being easy. Argue that all you want, but it'd be just like if Battletoads got a revival and after a few hard next gen games it was easy.

Sure, NG is about combat too, but one of the reasons people do prefer it to Bayo or dmc is its difficulty, which those two lack in comparison.

and @sTaTIx, yes, I have completed both versions of the game, on MNM to be exact. I even did all of the MNM missions. I'm a huge NG fan, and I don't want anyone to think of me as trolling the PS3 with this. Sigma 1 was a pretty good game (I still preferred Black due to not having to play as Rachel and the scoring system was superior). I was honestly very excited for Sigma 2, and I had my copy pre-ordered and bought the day it came out. And honestly I'm considering rebuying Sigma 2 at this price just BECAUSE I'm a huge NG fan and it's cheap.

[quote name='aj slick']Isn't this game going to be $9.99 tomorrow?[/QUOTE]

? Care to elaborate?

[quote name='wormraper']wait. so explain this to me. NGS2 will be $7.99 used at Gamestop tomorrow??? if so I'll be there at opening lol.[/QUOTE]

The used price is $17.99 now and it's $10 off tomorrow. Unless they raise the price it should be $7.99- Guess we'll see tomorrow.

[quote name='aj slick']The used price is $17.99 now and it's $10 off tomorrow. Unless they raise the price it should be $7.99- Guess we'll see tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

If that's the case, I'll pick it up for 8 bucks. Even though I have the original NG2.

Nice, got a used copy for $7.19 with Powerup Rewards- sorry for the bad pic.
DSC00954.jpg

[quote name='aj slick']Nice, got a used copy for $7.19 with Powerup Rewards- sorry for the bad pic.
[/QUOTE]

YMMV? It's rings up for 17.99 at my local stores. Also the OP has it crossed out in the power saver sale thread. Does "promotion not found" mean manual override?

[quote name='Armads']just talked to gamestop, apparently this price is already with the $10 off. Oh well.[/QUOTE]

I asked the employee if the $10 off NGS2 was on his sheet of the game price drops. The price on NGS2 has been $19.99 over a few days now. Should be $9.99- and the other GS I was at last night told me CODMW2 for PS3 and would be $20 off starting today which would make it $9.99 used- I called today and told me it was only $20 off new only. Boo-

[quote name='LordSMVS']YMMV? It's rings up for 17.99 at my local stores. Also the OP has it crossed out in the power saver sale thread. Does "promotion not found" mean manual override?[/QUOTE]

The employee did a manual override-

[quote name='mr_bungle']Actually it's a mix of difficulty and combat. NG games have never been about being easy. Argue that all you want, but it'd be just like if Battletoads got a revival and after a few hard next gen games it was easy.

Sure, NG is about combat too, but one of the reasons people do prefer it to Bayo or dmc is its difficulty, which those two lack in comparison.

and @sTaTIx, yes, I have completed both versions of the game, on MNM to be exact. I even did all of the MNM missions. I'm a huge NG fan, and I don't want anyone to think of me as trolling the PS3 with this. Sigma 1 was a pretty good game (I still preferred Black due to not having to play as Rachel and the scoring system was superior). I was honestly very excited for Sigma 2, and I had my copy pre-ordered and bought the day it came out. And honestly I'm considering rebuying Sigma 2 at this price just BECAUSE I'm a huge NG fan and it's cheap.[/QUOTE]

NG Black is probably my favorite action game of all time. I was thinking of picking up Sigma, but didn't realize you HAVE to play as Rachel - I thought it was a choice. Is that accurate?

Lol, I got a sealed copy at GS just now for 10.71...had the guy do an override. They had a used copy but the way that thing looked I didnt even like touching it. Was worth the extra 3.

I also managed to grab a sealed copy for $10.91. The game was marked $19.99 and there was a sticker that said that $10 would be taken off at the register.

[quote name='Jackalope']How are you getting 10 off a new copy? I asked about it at my GS and he wouldn't do it.[/QUOTE]

It's with the power sale they are having, its a red sticker that goes across the front and back of the game that has various discounts depending what game it is.

it's YMMV since not all GS will honor the mislabel and pricing, people need to stop with the buy this game for the title

bread's done
Back