Ninokuni: Queen of White Ashes - Level-5 & Studio Ghibli RPG - Early 2012 US

Cao Cao

CAGiversary!

Trailer
*Higher-quality version of the trailer at official web site

Level-5 held their press conference today, where the PS3 version Ninokuni was officially revealed, and it has been given the subtitle "Queen of White Ashes" (DS version is "The Ebony Wizard"). Unfortunately, Level-5's CEO Akihiro Hino did not reveal too much about the PS3 release outside of the trailer and the 2011 release window. His words used to describe the two versions were "different games in the same world, so players can enjoy both." (Source) Since the trailer shows similar scenes, I'll just assume that the basic story and gameplay background is the same. Level-5 also confirmed that the PS3 will have its own version of the pack-in book, Magic Master, with a White hardcover. An observation from the trailer: It looks like the PS3 version's battle system will be more action-oriented, sort of like a Tales of... game, with a monster-raising element.

1UP story on the Press Conference

The protagonist is a 13-year-old boy named Oliver, a resident of the American city of Hotroit.
Oliver and his friends have a passion for automobiles, building them in their spare time. One night, Oliver and one of his friends decide to sneak out to test drive their new racecar. Unfortunately, things quickly take a turn for the worse when Oliver loses control of the vehicle and plunges into a nearby river. Oliver's mother Allie, who was out looking for him, arrives at the scene in the nick of time. Allie is able to save him, but the stress of the situation causes her to have a heart attack, and she dies.

Oliver becomes understandably depressed after this occurs, until one day, when a doll that his mother gave to him suddenly comes to life.
The doll, a fairy named Shizuku, tells him of a parallel universe, "Ninokuni," a fantasy world
where he could potentially bring his mother back to life by freeing her counterpart's soul from the evil wizard Jabow
. Hearing this, Oliver decides to go with Shizuku to Ninokuni, opening the portal using the spell in a book known as the Magic Master.
Another notable point is that the game will have a pack-in, the Magic Master book. Magic Master is a thick hardcover tome, filled with things like the patterns to draw for spells, enemy weaknesses, a world map, and other useful bits of information, some of it hidden.

2m4zomp.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
As I said in the other thread, amazing title. Is it sad that I want a PS3 for this and VC? Nah...:lol:

[quote name='Gulshog']As I said in the other thread, amazing title. Is it sad that I want a PS3 for this and VC? Nah...:lol:[/QUOTE]

sad that you don't own one yet :p

The moment my wife heard about this she said we are getting this regardless of localization. Time to brush up on my Japanese

Well, it's cool that I have both a DS and the PS3, so I can get either or both versions (if they get brought to NA)... I really hope both get localized and brought to NA. If only one of the two make it, I hope it's the PS3 version.

About the game play video, it looks really good, but looks a lot like Pokemon.

[quote name='jh6269']Well, it's cool that I have both a DS and the PS3, so I can get either or both versions (if they get brought to NA)... I really hope both get localized and brought to NA. If only one of the two make it, I hope it's the PS3 version.

About the game play video, it looks really good, but looks a lot like Pokemon.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I'm getting it on both if comes here. The part that sort of concerns me is the inclusion of that hardcover book. I worry that they won't bring it over here because of that. It just makes it feel less like something that can be marketed to the US market, plus the whole localization process for the book + game might be too much. I hope to god I'm wrong though. I've been waiting over decade for a Studio Ghibli and/or Miyazaki game. I was stunned when they annouced it for the DS a few years ago.

I didn't think it looked that much like Pokemon to be honest. The battle system looked like your typical turn-based RPG with some oddball Ghibli-esque mystical characters on your team.

I got a bit of a Pokemon vibe from it, but well - is that really a bad thing?
With the people working on this game if it turns out to be anything but super awesome I'll eat my hat.

As it's on the PS3 it'll be region free and Korean releases often have English subtitles - so if it is for some awful reason not localized it should still be playable.

I've never played a Pokemon game, but I was just saying that the battle in the video looked a lot like the Pokemon cartoon. It seems that the kid stands back and commands the monsters to fight the big monsters (instead of a sparring type battle between 2 monsters).

The part that really reminded me of Pokemon was when he used the wand and the blue orb came out with a monster in it and started fighting...

Anyway, there's nothing wrong with that, I played a lot of the Symphonia 2, and I liked getting the monsters and leveling them up. It's just an observation.

@Goemar, I hope you're right about the English subtitles, I'll definitely buy a Korean version (if it has subtitles) if it does not come out here.

Does anyone know who's publishing the game in Japan? I e-mailed Atlus about 3D Dot Game Heroes, and I sent a snail mail to Sega about Yakuza 4--seems like I'm on a roll, I can't squander this kind of talent LOL

I love Studio Ghibli movies and the art style. So I am excited for this. Hopefully when it comes to the US it has both a English and Japanese track. Use Blu Ray to its fullest.

Tentatively excited for this. The gameplay seems like a mix of DQV and Los Pokemones from what I've seen. Please no move support.

edit: What worries me most is that book. Will it be necessary to play this or just nice to have like a kind of 'in character' player's guide?

[quote name='jh6269']Does anyone know who's publishing the game in Japan? I e-mailed Atlus about 3D Dot Game Heroes, and I sent a snail mail to Sega about Yakuza 4--seems like I'm on a roll, I can't squander this kind of talent LOL[/QUOTE]

Anybody?

Level 5 is developing and publishing the DS version, but there is no page for the PS3 version up at Amazon Japan yet. I would assume that Level 5 is publishing the PS3 version too.
Amazon.co.jp

[quote name='Cao Cao']Level 5 is developing and publishing the DS version, but there is no page for the PS3 version up at Amazon Japan yet. I would assume that Level 5 is publishing the PS3 version too.
Amazon.co.jp[/QUOTE]
It is almost certain. L5 is opening up a new office that is presumably just for that purpose in The States. There will be a EU office as well.

Ok, I'll send them a letter. I don't know who usually publishes their games in the US, except for Nintendo for the Prof. Layton.

EDIT: looks like on wikipedia, Sony usually publishes their stuff on the PlayStation. Dragon Quest is published by Square (of course). And they have one DS game that they published themselves. Then there's Prof. Layton by Nintendo.

So I guess I'll have to send a letter to both.

what is so special about this game that everyone is excited for...?

it looks good, but seems there is more fan fare behind this than usual... is it because of the studio?

aware me haha.

[quote name='SynGamer']Google. Not going to even waste my breathe on you if you have no idea why we're all excited.[/QUOTE]
No need to be an ass!

[quote name='gomikeoh']what is so special about this game that everyone is excited for...?[/QUOTE]
It's a game designed and animated by the greatest Japanese animation studio of all time, scored by one of the greatest movie composers of all time and produced by the premier up-and-coming Japanese developer which has shown itself capable of producing hit after hit for the duration of it's lifetime.

[quote name='gomikeoh']what is so special about this game that everyone is excited for...?

it looks good, but seems there is more fan fare behind this than usual... is it because of the studio?

aware me haha.[/QUOTE]

I take it that you have never watched a Miyazaki movie?

If you had, you would understand. Ok, quick, go to blockbuster/netflix, hell go to Amazon and get "Spirited Away" and "Princess Mononoke."

If you have seen those movies, then this is a game that was made with the involvement of Studio Ghibli (the studio that Miyazaki co-founded). So if it's anything like the movies, it's going to be freaking awesome. I have almost every single Miyazaki movie and I love them all.

More a fan of Howl's Moving Castle than those mentioned, but still, any Studio Ghibli film directed by Miyazaki is pretty much brilliant.

I just hope if they do bring this out over seas they're smart enough to slap a sticker on it saying "From the Director of Spirited Away" or something.

[quote name='Goemar']More a fan of Howl's Moving Castle than those mentioned, but still, any Studio Ghibli film directed by Miyazaki is pretty much brilliant.

I just hope if they do bring this out over seas they're smart enough to slap a sticker on it saying "From the Director of Spirited Away" or something.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, Howl's Moving Castle is great too. There really isn't a bad one. The first 2 I saw were Spirited Away and My Neighbor Totoro, and I was hooked. There are 2 of his movies that I still do not have, and I've been waiting to get those on sale at Amazon.

I recommend people don't get too excited.

AFAIK, the story is not written by Hayao Miyazaki. It's done by Akihiro Hino, who also wrote the stories of other Level-5 games, including White Knight Chronicles. As I explained in the other thread (closed), his stories are full of diarrhea and stupidity. This game's story so far looks to be another turd
(little boy kills his mother and travels to another world to get her back) :puke:

Just because Studio Ghibli is doing the animation doesn't mean the story will be captivating or the gameplay fun. Besides, Hayao Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli created some garbage too, such as Porco Rosso. And yes, I did see most of their movies and enjoyed them immensely.

I hope I'll be wrong, but don't be surprised if the game sucks.

[quote name='Teh Nitwit']Iesides, Hayao Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli created some garbage too, such as Porco Rosso. .[/QUOTE]

That right there invalidates everything you've said, and everything you will say on the matter. Porco Rosso is one of Miyazaki's best and his most mature work. You could dislike it, but calling it garbage is just plain idiotic.

[quote name='ssjmichael']That right there invalidates everything you've said, and everything you will say on the matter. Porco Rosso is one of Miyazaki's best and his most mature work. You could dislike it, but calling it garbage is just plain idiotic.[/QUOTE]

I like how we're both expressing mere opinions on the movie Porco Rosso, but you seem to think your opinion is more valid than mine. I hated that movie with passion (while I loved his other movies). But, since you thought it was great then I guess it was and I was an idiot to think otherwise.

From now on I will consult you before forming an opinion.

This. Looks. Amazing. And are these reports of an "early 2012" release true??? God I hope so!

Side note: FFVII should be remade and look just like this...

Such great news.

I wonder if Grave of the Fireflies is anyone's favorite Studio Ghibli movie. (How could you watch that repeatedly?)

[quote name='Narcisstalker']Such great news.

I wonder if Grave of the Fireflies is anyone's favorite Studio Ghibli movie. (How could you watch that repeatedly?)[/QUOTE]

This is one of my fav but Princess Mononoko takes the number 1 slot for me.

bread's done
Back