Nintendo 2DS Blue or Red $99.00 @ Walmart (Instore Pickup only)

I would have gone this route instead of the 3DSXL because I almost never use the 3D but they made it to where it doesn't fold in half like EVERY OTHER DS EVER MADE. Design flaw in my opinion.

It has been lower ($80 @ MicroCenter) anyone wanting to hop on this should wait a little longer until it matches that price again

I would have gone this route instead of the 3DSXL because I almost never use the 3D but they made it to where it doesn't fold in half like EVERY OTHER DS EVER MADE. Design flaw in my opinion.
Well the DS isn't there to be the folding handheld..its known for its Dual Screens...hence the 2 letters that every current generation child screams when they see ANY Nintendo handheld...

It's one screen. It doesn't fold.

GBA SP folder. GBA Micro did not. OMG!

I know, that's kinda my point. I can easily fit any of the folding DS handhelds in my pocket and carry them around with me everywhere but since this one doesn't fold it doesn't fit in my pocket and doesn't work for me. Sorry to hijack the thread OP. :D

Why would anyone want one of these? The selling point of the 3DS is its 3D capabilities. There's an adjustable slider on the top screen that controls the display offset in the screen for a 3D effect already. You already don't have to play in 3D if you don't want to, but it's still there if you want it. The 2DS, despite not being a clam shell design and costing $100, doesn't have 3D capabilities whatsoever. What's honestly the point of having one? A 3DS isn't that much more expensive, and they already have awesome themed systems (Zelda, Pokemon, Mario) that you can get bundled for pretty cheap. Just get a 3DS.

2ds is much more comfortable than the 3ds and 3ds xl ..3ds XL was uncomfortable to hold for long periods due to supporting the heavier weight from the bottom while playing and the triggers were awkward to push. i have both the 2ds and the XL and the 2ds became my unbiased favorite after playing extensively with each.   also no worries about hinge breaking, screens scratching themselves, and has better buttons (imo) .  also prefer the non stretched image but the og 3ds is the most uncomfortable of all 3 to hold/game with (crab carpal tunnel claws)..and dat horrible stylus location .  ended up giving the XL to my girlfriend since she prefers the larger screens and doesn't notice the stretched image like me.. we both win. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 3DS and a 2DS (don't ask why). If I had to do it all over again, I would buy the 2DS since I almost never use the 3D feature.

Is there any game that particularly gains from the 3D aspect? (serious question).  Most of the 3/2DS games that I'm interested in (e.g. Layton, Pokemon) dont *need* 3D, but I'm wondering if other standout on the system do benefit from 3D.  How about "A Link Between Worlds?" Is it significantly enhanced by the 3D?

Why would anyone want one of these? The selling point of the 3DS is its 3D capabilities. There's an adjustable slider on the top screen that controls the display offset in the screen for a 3D effect already. You already don't have to play in 3D if you don't want to, but it's still there if you want it. The 2DS, despite not being a clam shell design and costing $100, doesn't have 3D capabilities whatsoever. What's honestly the point of having one? A 3DS isn't that much more expensive, and they already have awesome themed systems (Zelda, Pokemon, Mario) that you can get bundled for pretty cheap. Just get a 3DS.
It's for kids. It's cheaper and sturdier -some kids just can't handle hinges- than the XL and parents don't have to worry about them playing with the 3D on for too long. Nintendo is phasing out the regular 3ds, so the 2ds is going to be the only option for younger kids soon.

Some people just like the design too.

Well the DS isn't there to be the folding handheld..its known for its Dual Screens...hence the 2 letters that every current generation child screams when they see ANY Nintendo handheld...
Except that the 2DS is actually only one screen split into two, but that is splitting hairs. The mention of hinges and children is spot on though. I have a 4 year old son and he continually opens and closes the clam shell, even when not playing a game. That kind of wear will eventually lead to power issues in the top screen (if you ever owned a starTAC phone, you'd know what I meant). I'm sure he will drop it on the hardwood floor or tile sooner or later though as the weight and bulk of the thing just was not made with a 4 year old in mind.

The lack of a larger screen like the XL alienates the older population (and by that I mean 10+). It's cost effective and that's mainly what parents with younger kids want. I really dont think they care much that the XL screens are 90% bigger than the originals. It's just another option for those who want to play 3DS games. Like everything else, it's a choice... isn't the free world great?!?!

There are very few games that I've played that enhanced my experience with 3D (Kid Icarus is probably the only one). I definitely play a majority of my games in 2D by choice, but once in a while, I do switch it on just to see what the games look like in 3D and I'm almost always underwhlemed. Removing this feature for the 2DS made sense for the cheaper model.

Did anyone actually buy the GBA Micro?

Except that the 2DS is actually only one screen split into two, but that is splitting hairs. The mention of hinges and children is spot on though. I have a 4 year old son and he continually opens and closes the clam shell, even when not playing a game. That kind of wear will eventually lead to power issues in the top screen (if you ever owned a starTAC phone, you'd know what I meant). I'm sure he will drop it on the hardwood floor or tile sooner or later though as the weight and bulk of the thing just was not made with a 4 year old in mind.

The lack of a larger screen like the XL alienates the older population (and by that I mean 10+). It's cost effective and that's mainly what parents with younger kids want. I really dont think they care much that the XL screens are 90% bigger than the originals. It's just another option for those who want to play 3DS games. Like everything else, it's a choice... isn't the free world great?!?!

There are very few games that I've played that enhanced my experience with 3D (Kid Icarus is probably the only one). I definitely play a majority of my games in 2D by choice, but once in a while, I do switch it on just to see what the games look like in 3D and I'm almost always underwhlemed. Removing this feature for the 2DS made sense for the cheaper model.
I had a DS Lite and I flipped that lid all the time with no issues. With that said I worry about my 3DS XL as the hinges either are cheaper or are the same ones as the older DS systems...only holding a LARGER panel. I've actually been thinking of a 2DS or a smaller 3DS as not to have my main one destroyed from taking it with me everyday.

If Nintendo is smart and want to keep 3DS sales alive for another 2 years they'll drop the 2DS to $79.99, 3DS XL to $139.99 and bundle Super Mario 3D Land with both.

Actually if I were in their marketing, I'd say bundle Super Smash Bros. Somehow I think that's closer to reality than we all think.
That would be a bad business move. Why bundle a $39.99 game they know they can sell 1-3 million copies at retail and not recoup any money on the development costs?

Super Mario 3D Land has sold like 8 million plus, huge profits. At this point it would cost them nothing to slap it on the internal memory since they already recoup SM3DL's dev costs ten-fold.

Did anyone actually buy the GBA Micro?

I had a DS Lite and I flipped that lid all the time with no issues. With that said I worry about my 3DS XL as the hinges either are cheaper or are the same ones as the older DS systems...only holding a LARGER panel. I've actually been thinking of a 2DS or a smaller 3DS as not to have my main one destroyed from taking it with me everyday.
I bought one last month and I love it so much more than the GBA/SP.

I actually have two of them, a plain gray one and a Special Edition 'Famicom' themed one. They were replacements for my stolen red and NES themed SPs (I still liked the SPs more).
I bought one last month and I love it so much more than the GBA/SP.
I'll say this much...the value of the micro kept its value pretty well. Funny I recall several years ago Toys R Us (since there's a clearance thread going on this forum) clearing them for like $60 or lower.

That would be a bad business move. Why bundle a $39.99 game they know they can sell 1-3 million copies at retail and not recoup any money on the development costs?

Super Mario 3D Land has sold like 8 million plus, huge profits. At this point it would cost them nothing to slap it on the internal memory since they already recoup SM3DL's dev costs ten-fold.
I do see your logic in that.

I forgot that Nintendo did bundle SM3L already with the original 3DS:

http://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-3DS-Holiday-Bundle-Flame-Pre-Installed/dp/B00A7K5CJ2/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1407422728&sr=8-5&keywords=3ds+super+mario+3d+land

Maybe Paper Mario will be next, lol.

I'll say this much...the value of the micro kept its value pretty well. Funny I recall several years ago Toys R Us (since there's a clearance thread going on this forum) clearing them for like $60 or lower.

I do see your logic in that.

I forgot that Nintendo did bundle SM3L already with the original 3DS:

http://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-3DS-Holiday-Bundle-Flame-Pre-Installed/dp/B00A7K5CJ2/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1407422728&sr=8-5&keywords=3ds+super+mario+3d+land

Maybe Paper Mario will be next, lol.
paper mario bundle is old news to http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00H1CH012?pc_redir=1407045772&robot_redir=1

I got it when it was on sale at Target for $99 because I hate 3D (movies, 3DS, etc). I didn't care about theme nonsense and I just wanted to play some games.

What's the point of paying more money to have a feature you will never use?

My daughters 3Rd bday is this Wednesday. She loves my 3ds xl but 3d is horrible for kids eyes I never even use it truthfully so i dont even want a slider for it and obviously the fold is just a structural weakness so that's no good.

This a good price point or what? Other then the past microcenter deal which is no where near me anyway has it been lower?

$100 has been as low as it's been (nationwide).

This was a good way for me to cash out of my WM GCs from the trade-ins. Picked up 2, one for my lil bros and 1 to sell on eBay for cost. Thanks!

This system doesn't fit my needs but it might fit the needs of someone else. Some people don't care about 3D and others do. I carry mine around too much to buy this one, but the fact that it does not have hinges is very nice especially if you have kids that are rough opening and closing the system and if you intend to play it only in the house. I am hearing a lot about the hinges on the 3DS XL breaking now because the plastic is not sturdy enough and the hinge is actually on the right side of the 3DS which makes the right hinge break faster.

bread's done
Back