Launch Date March 27, 2011

Price $249.99 MSRP*

Included in Hardware The following is included in the hardware set:
  1. Nintendo 3DS system
  2. Nintendo 3DS charging cradle
  3. Nintendo 3DS AC adapter
  4. Nintendo 3DS stylus
  5. SD Memory Card (2GB)
  6. AR Card(s) (view the cards using the outer cameras to play supported AR games)
  7. Quick-Start Guide
  8. Operations Manual (including warranty)

Characteristic Features
  1. 3D screen, enabling 3D view without the need for special glasses and the ability to adjust or turn off 3D effect with the 3D Depth Slider.
  2. Stereo cameras that enable users to take 3D photos that can be viewed instantly on the 3D screen.
  3. New input interfaces including the Circle Pad, motion sensor, gyro sensor
  4. SpotPass, a feature that lets Nintendo 3DS detect wireless hotspots or wireless LAN access points and obtain information, game data, free software, videos and so on for players even when the system is in sleep mode.**
  5. StreetPass, a feature that lets Nintendo 3DS exchange data automatically with other Nintendo 3DS systems within range, even in sleep mode once this feature is activated by the user. Data for multiple games can be exchanged simultaneously.
  6. Convenient features that users can access without stopping game play such as the HOME menu, Internet Brower, Notifications, etc.
  7. Plenty of built-in software such as the Nintendo 3DS Camera, Nintendo 3DS Sound, Mii Maker, StreetPass, Mii Plaza, AR Games, Activity Log, Face Raiders, etc.
  8. Nintendo eShop where users can view trailers, software rankings and purchase software.
  9. System Transfer which enable users to transfer already purchased software from one Nintendo 3DS system to another. DSiWare purchased for the Nintendo DSi or the Nintendo DSi XL can also be transferred into a Nintendo 3DS system.***
  10. Compatibility functions where both new software designed for Nintendo 3DS and most software for the Nintendo DS family of systems can be played.
  11. Parental Controls which enable parents to restrict game content by ratings as well as use of specific wireless connectivity, 3D functionality, etc.****

Size (when closed) 2.9 inches high, 5.3 inches long, 0.8 inches deep.

Weight Approximately 8 ounces (including battery pack, stylus, SD memory card).

Upper Screen Wide-screen LCD display, enabling 3D view without the need for special glasses. Capable of displaying approximately 16.77 million colors. 3.53 inches display (3.02 inches wide, 1.81 inches high) with 800 x 240 pixel resolution. 400 pixels are allocated to each eye to enable 3D viewing.

Lower Screen LCD with a touch screen capable of displaying 16.77 million colors. 3.02 inches (2.42 inches wide, 1.81 inches high) with 320 x 240 pixel resolution.

Cameras One inner camera and two outer cameras. Resolutions are 640 x 480 for each camera. Lens are single focus and uses the CMOS capture element. The active pixel count is approximately 300,000 pixels.

Wireless Communication 2.4 GHz. Enabling local wireless communication among multiple Nintendo 3DS systems for game play and StreetPass. Enabling access to the Internet through wireless LAN access points (supports IEEE802.11 b/g with the WPA™/WPA2™ security feature). Recommended distance of wireless communication is within 98.4 feet. This can be shorter depending on the enviromental situation. WPA and WPA2 are marks of the Wi-Fi Alliance.

Input Controls Input controls are the following:
  1. A/B/X/Y Button, +Control Pad, L/R Button, START/SELECT
  2. Circle Pad (enabling 360-degree analog input)
  3. Touch screen
  4. Embedded microphone
  5. Camera
  6. Motion sensor
  7. Gyro sensor

Other Input Controls Other input controls are the following:
  1. 3D Depth Slider (enabling smooth adjustment of the 3D level effect)
  2. HOME (HOME button brings up the HOME menu)
  3. Wireless switch (can disable wireless functionality even during game play)
  4. POWER button

Connector Connector includes:
  1. Game Card slot
  2. SD Card slot
  3. Cradle connector
  4. AC adapter connector
  5. Audio jack (stereo output)

Sound Stereo speakers positioned to the left and right of the top screen (supports virtual surround sound).

Stylus Telescoping stylus (approximately 3.94 inches when fully extended).

Electric Power AC adaptor (WAP-002 [USA]). Nintendo 3DS Battery Pack (lithium ion battery) [CTR-003].

Charge Time About 3.5 hours

Battery Duration When playing Nintendo 3DS software about 3-5 hours. When playing Nintendo DS software about 5-8 hours. Battery duration differs depending on the brightness setting of the screen. The information regarding battery duration is a rough standard. It can be shorter depending on what functions of the Nintendo 3DS system are used.

Game Card Nintendo 3DS Game Card. The size is approximately the same as Nintendo DS Game Card.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also preordered both. Don't know which color I want yet, but my roommate wants one and doesn't care about the color, so I'll just take my pick when I seem em in person. Thanks so much OP!

The battery life with 3d is shit. All of you buying this to own will regret it in a year when they make a lite version with improved hardware and battery life and for less money.

[quote name='Shion']Is it really?
As much as I'd love me some 3DS games, isn't 3D kind of a gimmick at the end of the day? It doesn't affect gameplay and it doesn't change the way the game works fundamentally, it's purely visual, a graphical enhancement... and for that this portable is going to jump to $250?![/QUOTE]

If anyone can make 3D gaming innovative, it's Nintendo... have you not seen what they've done over the last 6 years?

[quote name='ssjmichael']The battery life with 3d is shit. All of you buying this to own ill regret it in a year when they make a lite version with improved hardware and battery life and for less money.[/QUOTE]

You truly are a glowing ray of sunshine, aren't you?

[quote name='ssjmichael']The battery life with 3d is shit. All of you buying this to own will regret it in a year when they make a lite version with improved hardware and battery life and for less money.[/QUOTE]

Shut up idiot.

[quote name='zenintrude']The original DS debuted in 2004 at $150... and it did not use any cutting edge technology at all: touch screens had been utilized for years in the PDA market.

The 3DS will debut in 2011 at $250... it will utilize such cutting edge technology as glasses-free 3D, 3D augmented reality games, and [in the future] 3D video capture.

The price - due to both inflation and tech - is completely justified.[/QUOTE]

Glasses free 3D has been in existence since 2003, if not earlier. That's just the first review of a parallax barrier enabled screen that I was able to find. Nintendo themselves have said that they had just a screen prototyped for the Gamecube...it was just too costly for the consumer.

Augmented Reality was a term coined back in the 90's. AR Quake, an augmented reality version of Quake, was demo'd back in 2000. It's currently seeing a consumer-grade explosion with the help of smartphones with built in cameras.

So, it's not exactly cutting edge. Doesn't make it a bad machine though. I just wish more games were shown for it. Without games, the best hardware in the world don't mean jack.

[quote name='Trance Addix']Priced just as expected.[/QUOTE]

this. so many haters in this thread, but that's expected.

can't wait to see cag blow up when the "PSP2" is announced with an msrp that's expected to be $300-$400.

this price was just as expected, in fact, people were actually guessing more towards $300. So $250 is better than $300

[quote name='the_legend_of_drtre']Shut up idiot.[/QUOTE]
Seem like he has valid points to me, especially given the name of this website.

In for 1 black one! I will be looking for any other pre-order deals, but I trust Amazon since they were able to get me my Kinect on day 1 whereas my friend who ordered it though Wal-Mart waited over 1 week.

Thanks OP!

[quote name='Penguin1084']this. so many haters in this thread, but that's expected.

can't wait to see cag blow up when the "PSP2" is announced with an msrp that's expected to be $300-$400.

this price was just as expected, in fact, people were actually guessing more towards $300. So $250 is better than $300[/QUOTE]

The average person already knew it was basically going to be around $250-$300. And i say the guessing price was more at what it is you can go through gamefaqs 3DS bored and you'll see $250 every where.

Does everybody here realize that this was estimated to be announced at $299 when analysts throw numbers out they really do the company's job for them. I am impressed Nintendo cut that prediction down to $249 As someone who was at E3 last summer and saw this in action I can definitely tell you all that this is completely fair in my opinion. I will be bummed at the inevitable revisions and those of you that can wait more power to you, but my DS is my second most used system and I am assuming that my 3DS will take that spot.

[quote name='Salamando3000']Glasses free 3D has been in existence since 2003, if not earlier. That's just the first review of a parallax barrier enabled screen that I was able to find. Nintendo themselves have said that they had just a screen prototyped for the Gamecube...it was just too costly for the consumer.

Augmented Reality was a term coined back in the 90's. AR Quake, an augmented reality version of Quake, was demo'd back in 2000. It's currently seeing a consumer-grade explosion with the help of smartphones with built in cameras.[/QUOTE]

(I bolded a bit up there)

That's sort of my point... it's been hypothetically plausible and practical in industrial settings, but this is the first time that it's practical for use as a portable consumer device. With the DS, touch screens had been in consumer devices for YEARS... but at this point, an average consumer cannot go out and buy a screen that supports glasses-free 3D... the 3DS is the first to offer this.

Additionally, you're right... augmented reality has been around for a while and there are plenty of iOS games that utilize it to varying degrees of effectiveness. The 3DS will be the first to offer 3D AR games to the consumer... so it is cutting edge.

[quote name='Vader582']Seem like he has valid points to me, especially given the name of this website.[/QUOTE]

It's glassless 3d with almost 360 like graphics and it's a PORTABLE. You guys thought it was going to be $99?

Glad to see there is finally a price and release date. I don't think I'm going to pre-order (like I originally planned to do) just because I want to wait and see it in person. Plus, I have so many games and stuff that I need to get through it's not like I need it anyway. I may get it sometime this year, or I may wait for the next version to be released. The 3DS is bringing a lot of new technology to the table, so I'm sure the next one will have some major improvements, i.e battery life.... but then again, if I can actually hold out is another question :D

Thanks for posting!

[quote name='Vader582']Seem like he has valid points to me, especially given the name of this website.[/QUOTE]

The truth hurts I guess. But hey some people still only own the ds phat and love it, I'll personally wait however.

[quote name='bilbobagins3']Does everybody here realize that this was estimated to be announced at $299 when analysts throw numbers out they really do the company's job for them. I am impressed Nintendo cut that prediction down to $249 As someone who was at E3 last summer and saw this in action I can definitely tell you all that this is completely fair in my opinion. I will be bummed at the inevitable revisions and those of you that can wait more power to you, but my DS is my second most used system and I am assuming that my 3DS will take that spot.[/QUOTE]

Your DS is your 2nd most used system? wow my hand helds sit and collect dust when i have the option of a 42 inch HDTV and a 3 inch screen not much of a option to me. Maybe when i was 12 with my gameboy and pokemon now i can't do more then a 1 hour session if that on a hand held. Its really not even all about the money to me i know how little id use it id rather have a bag of drugs. If it was at the price i hoped for i probably would buy it just to be the early adopter for the hell of it.

And right now that 3d scares me to much i know you can turn 3d off but ive recently just read stores about people going deaf from playing their guitar and just ordered a amp myself so i have enough to worry about.

I've been waiting for a pre-order from Amazon for a while now. I put in my order just to see how fast they will sell out. Thanks OP!

[quote name='the_legend_of_drtre']It's glassless 3d with almost 360 like graphics and it's a PORTABLE. You guys thought it was going to be $99?[/QUOTE]That's not what he said. He was talking about the rumors of bad battery life etc etc etc... + the high price point + the inevitable hardware revision = disappointed CAG.
*shrug*

I figured it'd be $250 because $300 for a handheld that many kids will want is beyond a lot of parents' rationale. I'm guessing the market research showed that too.

[quote name='bilbobagins3']Does everybody here realize that this was estimated to be announced at $299 when analysts throw numbers out they really do the company's job for them. I am impressed Nintendo cut that prediction down to $249 As someone who was at E3 last summer and saw this in action I can definitely tell you all that this is completely fair in my opinion. I will be bummed at the inevitable revisions and those of you that can wait more power to you, but my DS is my second most used system and I am assuming that my 3DS will take that spot.[/QUOTE]

Do you ever stop to think where analysts got the $300 rumor? My guess? Nintendo's PR because now they've blown your mind that it's $250 instead of $300. Good job PR dept!!!

[quote name='ssjmichael']The truth hurts I guess. But hey some people still only own the ds phat and love it, I'll personally wait however.[/QUOTE]

You'll be waiting a long time.

[quote name='the_legend_of_drtre']It's glassless 3d with almost 360 like graphics and it's a PORTABLE. You guys thought it was going to be $99?[/QUOTE]

I don't have a prob with the price for the record. I just think the battery life is poor and possibly done on purpose so they could release a newer model a year later with double or triple the life

OK first you have to look at it apples to apples. DS in 2004 was 149 and at the time was a "gimmick", DS lite 2 years later for 129. PSP in 2005 was 249.00 way better tech then then the DS. So 6 years later I can get a fully backwards compatible 3DS some new tech inside a portable system for the same price as the PSP = Sold.

It's not fair to say well I can get a PS3 etc. Launch PS3 in 2006 500 to 600 if you found one. Xbox in 2005 was 400 again if you found one. Home consoles are a different segment of the market so the comparison of what you can pay for a PS3 at 5 years old is not applicable.

Me I'm in, and yes I know if I wait 2-4 years I can get a better one for less, but I'm sold on it. So I hit up amazon for a Blue one and have some trade ins I need to do so I can bring the cost down some.

[quote name='Kfoster1979']OK first you have to look at it apples to apples. DS in 2004 was 149 and at the time was a "gimmick", DS lite 2 years later for 129. PSP in 2005 was 249.00 way better tech then then the DS. So 6 years later I can get a fully backwards compatible 3DS some new tech inside a portable system for the same price as the PSP = Sold.

It's not fair to say well I can get a PS3 etc. Launch PS3 in 2006 500 to 600 if you found one. Xbox in 2005 was 400 again if you found one. Home consoles are a different segment of the market so the comparison of what you can pay for a PS3 at 5 years old is not applicable.

Me I'm in, and yes I know if I wait 2-4 years I can get a better one for less, but I'm sold on it. So I hit up amazon for a Blue one and have some trade ins I need to do so I can bring the cost down some.[/QUOTE]

Thank god... some actual sound reasoning ITT.

You also get the benefit of the 3DS Virtual Console which will have GB/GBC (and possibly GBA in the future) titles available.

[quote name='Vader582']That's not what he said. He was talking about the rumors of bad battery life etc etc etc... + the high price point + the inevitable hardware revision = disappointed CAG.
*shrug*

I figured it'd be $250 because $300 for a handheld that many kids will want is beyond a lot of parents' rationale. I'm guessing the market research showed that too.

Do you ever stop to think where analysts got the $300 rumor? My guess? Nintendo's PR because now they've blown your mind that it's $250 instead of $300. Good job PR dept!!![/QUOTE]

Or maybe because it's $300 us in japan? face_palm

[quote name='the_legend_of_drtre']You'll be waiting a long time.[/QUOTE]

Nintendo has released 4 DS models in 5 years. I'm willing to wait 2 yrs for a revision, but my guess is it will be much sooner

[quote name='zenintrude']If anyone can make 3D gaming innovative, it's Nintendo... have you not seen what they've done over the last 6 years?[/QUOTE]

Are you kidding? In the last 6 years Nintendo has released substandard hardware with gimmicks to sell the hardware (DS with inferior low-res screens and mostly useless 2nd screen plus TONS of shovelware games, Wii with inferior low-res output, gimmicky motion controls, and TONS of garbage shovelware games). The 3DS is just another gimmick, because Nintendo knows they can't compete on high-end hardware at all.

I have no doubt that, at least at release and in the near future after that, the 3DS will sell like hotcakes, just because there are droves of Nintendo fanboys that will buy it, sight unseen. But when the games actually start coming out, and people realize that the gimmick isn't so great (or they get headaches after playing a game for an hour).

$250 for a glorified DS is pretty ballsy, but I do believe that at least in the short run, they'll sell well. In the longer run, lets see if THIS system is as inundated with shovelware as their last two systems were.

I think they are probably pricing it using the ipod touch as their guide. They've acknowledged apple is their real threat in the hand held gaming market and 250 is competitive with the touch...the games on the other hand are another story.

I think you guys are crazy for expecting less.
The PSP was launched at $250 with games at $40-50 in 2005. We are 2011 now and the price is in the same range.

[quote name='zenintrude']Thank god... some actual sound reasoning ITT.

You also get the benefit of the 3DS Virtual Console which will have GB/GBC (and possibly GBA in the future) titles available.[/QUOTE]

From what I'm reading GBa games will be on the VC. That's a bucket of win in my book.

I was expecting this price for this system. As much as we are going to bitch about the price millions are going to buy from over spoiled kids to hardcore gamers. I've already put in my pre-order.(I just wish they had a red 3ds~sniff)

Most people know as with any device to wait and see what its like etc, being as i was never a release day purchaser for anything i don't need to now. The way i look at it is if it sucks from reviews then great i didn't buy it, if its great and awesome then i just wait for a revision/price drop and buy its a win-win. The only thing it costs me is time that I'm gladly willing to wait anyway. The only thing that would further convince me is if i had a kid or significant others kid who wanted one as really a $50 difference is nothing but if its for me thanks ill pass I'm fine with my HDTV.

[quote name='chimpmeister']Are you kidding? In the last 6 years Nintendo has released substandard hardware with gimmicks to sell the hardware (DS with inferior low-res screens and mostly useless 2nd screen plus TONS of shovelware games, Wii with inferior low-res output, gimmicky motion controls, and TONS of garbage shovelware games). The 3DS is just another gimmick, because Nintendo knows they can't compete on high-end hardware at all.
[/QUOTE]

OH here we go again with the Wii is a gimmick crap. Seriously, motion control is not a gimmick. 80 million consoles sold worldwide isn't possible for a console based around a gimmick. And if it's so much of a gimmick then why are the almighty HD console manufacturers going in this direction 3 years after the Wii launched? If it's a gimmick it should've died out by now and Microsoft and Sony would have no reason for Move and Kinect. Seriously, saying motion gaming is a gimmick is like saying touch screen gaming is a gimmick. Funny how all these "gimmick" devices have sold tens upon tens of millions of units. Seriously stop talking out of your ass.

[quote name='chimpmeister']Are you kidding? In the last 6 years Nintendo has released substandard hardware with gimmicks to sell the hardware (DS with inferior low-res screens and mostly useless 2nd screen plus TONS of shovelware games, Wii with inferior low-res output, gimmicky motion controls, and TONS of garbage shovelware games). The 3DS is just another gimmick, because Nintendo knows they can't compete on high-end hardware at all.

I have no doubt that, at least at release and in the near future after that, the 3DS will sell like hotcakes, just because there are droves of Nintendo fanboys that will buy it, sight unseen. But when the games actually start coming out, and people realize that the gimmick isn't so great (or they get headaches after playing a game for an hour).

$250 for a glorified DS is pretty ballsy, but I do believe that at least in the short run, they'll sell well. In the longer run, lets see if THIS system is as inundated with shovelware as their last two systems were.[/QUOTE]

Glorified DS? Did you even do research about the system? It is 100% successor and not just a simple upgrade like the DS Lite / DSi.
This is much like the PS2 to PS3, NOT PS2 to PS2 Slim.

[quote name='cgarb84']OH here we go again with the Wii is a gimmick crap. Seriously, motion control is not a gimmick. 80 million consoles sold worldwide isn't possible for a console based around a gimmick. And if it's so much of a gimmick then why are the almighty HD console manufacturers going in this direction 3 years after the Wii launched? If it's a gimmick it should've died out by now and Microsoft and Sony would have no reason for Move and Kinect. Seriously, saying motion gaming is a gimmick is like saying touch screen gaming is a gimmick. Funny how all these "gimmick" devices have sold tens upon tens of millions of units. Seriously stop talking out of your ass.[/QUOTE]
Motion gaming is a gimmick point blank. Just because some people play it doesn't justify it. Any kind of video game parody ive ever watched disses the Wii calls it a kids toy and not for hardcore players. In a way he is right about it being a gimmick. Just because Sony and MS do the same thing doesn't un-gimmick it. Its called business. Of the 3 next gen consoles id say the Wii is the closest thing to a gimmick. If i was any stupider then i already was i might make a youtube video of smashing my wii I'm just smart enough to realize id regret that afterward.

I'll be waiting for this to hit $180 at least. Too many DS games to play!!!

EDIT:

[quote name='miriamleo']I think you guys are crazy for expecting less.
The PSP was launched at $250 with games at $40-50 in 2005. We are 2011 now and the price is in the same range.[/QUOTE]

Can the 3DS to what the PSP can do graphics-wise? I haven't been paying attention...

[quote name='chimpmeister']Are you kidding? In the last 6 years Nintendo has released substandard hardware with gimmicks to sell the hardware (DS with inferior low-res screens and mostly useless 2nd screen plus TONS of shovelware games, Wii with inferior low-res output, gimmicky motion controls, and TONS of garbage shovelware games). The 3DS is just another gimmick, because Nintendo knows they can't compete on high-end hardware at all.[/QUOTE]

With the exception of not kowtowing to your definition of innovation (which I guess is high rez + MOAR PIXALZZZ!!) Nintendo has been able to create entirely new gameplay experiences that are above and beyond pushing a button and flicking a stick.

THAT IS THE TRUE DEFINITION OF INNOVATION.

The fact that they have attracted people who had never been interested in games before is a testament to that.

As for the whole "shovelware" argument... it's as boring and trite as the shovelware itself. There are loads of good games for both the Wii and DS just like there are boatloads of shit for the 360, PS3, and PSP... the only difference is that companies pay more money to make shit look pretty on the non-Nintendo systems.

[quote name='the_legend_of_drtre']Or maybe because it's $300 us in japan? face_palm[/QUOTE]

hahah :applause:

.[/QUOTE]

Are there some games that make great use of it? Yes. Are there some games where the top screen serves very little purpose? Sure. But it's not useless. the second screen is what makes the DS the DS.

What exactly do you expect it to do, serve your coffee?

And stop with the gimmick nonsense. It shows your ignorance, once again.

[quote name='the_legend_of_drtre']Or maybe because it's $300 us in japan? face_palm[/QUOTE]
You really think Nin didn't consider $300 in the US, even for one second? GTFO. Face_palm yourself.

Got in a preorder for a black one before they "sold out" or amazon stopped taking preorders. I have not had a handheld since the gameboy advance days and I came really really close to picking up a DS during the black friday deals. Now $100 more gets me a 3DS and I can play DS games on it too.

Do not want.

1. I don't like handheld gaming much, so theres no way i'm paying $250 when I don't play any of my other handhelds. With CAG money that buys 5-10 HD console games
2. System and 3D tech in it needs to prove itself
3. I have no desire to replay a bunch of N64 games on handheld. I already did that with the DS
4. To avoid $500 to $750 of wasted money, I'll wait for release number 2 or 3

[quote name='miriamleo']Glorified DS? Did you even do research about the system? It is 100% successor and not just a simple upgrade like the DS Lite / DSi.
This is much like the PS2 to PS3, NOT PS2 to PS2 Slim.[/QUOTE]

I've heard that argument about it being a "100% successor", but funny how it still has dual screens and will play DS games. Mark this as a minor upgrade to the DS, with the 3D gimmick thrown in (which may not be as great as it seems, judging by the magicbox link posted previously about how most Japanese users got sick from the 3D effects and turned them off after a short time!). Nintendo will spin this as a totally new system, but in reality I don't think it will be as mindbending as you'd think.

bread's done
Back