Launch Date March 27, 2011

Price $249.99 MSRP*

Included in Hardware The following is included in the hardware set:
  1. Nintendo 3DS system
  2. Nintendo 3DS charging cradle
  3. Nintendo 3DS AC adapter
  4. Nintendo 3DS stylus
  5. SD Memory Card (2GB)
  6. AR Card(s) (view the cards using the outer cameras to play supported AR games)
  7. Quick-Start Guide
  8. Operations Manual (including warranty)

Characteristic Features
  1. 3D screen, enabling 3D view without the need for special glasses and the ability to adjust or turn off 3D effect with the 3D Depth Slider.
  2. Stereo cameras that enable users to take 3D photos that can be viewed instantly on the 3D screen.
  3. New input interfaces including the Circle Pad, motion sensor, gyro sensor
  4. SpotPass, a feature that lets Nintendo 3DS detect wireless hotspots or wireless LAN access points and obtain information, game data, free software, videos and so on for players even when the system is in sleep mode.**
  5. StreetPass, a feature that lets Nintendo 3DS exchange data automatically with other Nintendo 3DS systems within range, even in sleep mode once this feature is activated by the user. Data for multiple games can be exchanged simultaneously.
  6. Convenient features that users can access without stopping game play such as the HOME menu, Internet Brower, Notifications, etc.
  7. Plenty of built-in software such as the Nintendo 3DS Camera, Nintendo 3DS Sound, Mii Maker, StreetPass, Mii Plaza, AR Games, Activity Log, Face Raiders, etc.
  8. Nintendo eShop where users can view trailers, software rankings and purchase software.
  9. System Transfer which enable users to transfer already purchased software from one Nintendo 3DS system to another. DSiWare purchased for the Nintendo DSi or the Nintendo DSi XL can also be transferred into a Nintendo 3DS system.***
  10. Compatibility functions where both new software designed for Nintendo 3DS and most software for the Nintendo DS family of systems can be played.
  11. Parental Controls which enable parents to restrict game content by ratings as well as use of specific wireless connectivity, 3D functionality, etc.****

Size (when closed) 2.9 inches high, 5.3 inches long, 0.8 inches deep.

Weight Approximately 8 ounces (including battery pack, stylus, SD memory card).

Upper Screen Wide-screen LCD display, enabling 3D view without the need for special glasses. Capable of displaying approximately 16.77 million colors. 3.53 inches display (3.02 inches wide, 1.81 inches high) with 800 x 240 pixel resolution. 400 pixels are allocated to each eye to enable 3D viewing.

Lower Screen LCD with a touch screen capable of displaying 16.77 million colors. 3.02 inches (2.42 inches wide, 1.81 inches high) with 320 x 240 pixel resolution.

Cameras One inner camera and two outer cameras. Resolutions are 640 x 480 for each camera. Lens are single focus and uses the CMOS capture element. The active pixel count is approximately 300,000 pixels.

Wireless Communication 2.4 GHz. Enabling local wireless communication among multiple Nintendo 3DS systems for game play and StreetPass. Enabling access to the Internet through wireless LAN access points (supports IEEE802.11 b/g with the WPA™/WPA2™ security feature). Recommended distance of wireless communication is within 98.4 feet. This can be shorter depending on the enviromental situation. WPA and WPA2 are marks of the Wi-Fi Alliance.

Input Controls Input controls are the following:
  1. A/B/X/Y Button, +Control Pad, L/R Button, START/SELECT
  2. Circle Pad (enabling 360-degree analog input)
  3. Touch screen
  4. Embedded microphone
  5. Camera
  6. Motion sensor
  7. Gyro sensor

Other Input Controls Other input controls are the following:
  1. 3D Depth Slider (enabling smooth adjustment of the 3D level effect)
  2. HOME (HOME button brings up the HOME menu)
  3. Wireless switch (can disable wireless functionality even during game play)
  4. POWER button

Connector Connector includes:
  1. Game Card slot
  2. SD Card slot
  3. Cradle connector
  4. AC adapter connector
  5. Audio jack (stereo output)

Sound Stereo speakers positioned to the left and right of the top screen (supports virtual surround sound).

Stylus Telescoping stylus (approximately 3.94 inches when fully extended).

Electric Power AC adaptor (WAP-002 [USA]). Nintendo 3DS Battery Pack (lithium ion battery) [CTR-003].

Charge Time About 3.5 hours

Battery Duration When playing Nintendo 3DS software about 3-5 hours. When playing Nintendo DS software about 5-8 hours. Battery duration differs depending on the brightness setting of the screen. The information regarding battery duration is a rough standard. It can be shorter depending on what functions of the Nintendo 3DS system are used.

Game Card Nintendo 3DS Game Card. The size is approximately the same as Nintendo DS Game Card.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Mixer236']Some of us prefer the screen to not be so large. It is a portable device, I don't want to be carrying around something that wouldn't fit comfortably in a pocket. The 3DS doesn't seem to be much larger than my DSi, and the DSi fits perfectly in a jacket pocket. My fiancee's brother has a DSi XL and it's too big for what I want in a portable device.[/QUOTE]

This will pretty much be perfect for you based on the dimensions it has.

Has anyone heard anything about other versions being in the works like an XL version?

[quote name='Jackr']
Has anyone heard anything about other versions being in the works like an XL version?[/QUOTE]

They wouldn't confuse the customers by even talking about that. You might hear a rumor or two but they'd be completely unfounded. There's no need to muddy the waters.

That target shooting video is great. The actors are so cheesy.

Yeah, it looks fun and I'm looking forward to it. I put it up to show that even if someone doesn't like or plan on getting any launch titles, you'll still have something to test the new system out on. Plus it shows what could be on the horizon and perhaps the future of gaming. The real world and the video game world collide.

I've heard that Target is going to have preorder cards available in the next few days so I may preorder in-store with that option as long as Target's preorders are reliable. I've had no experience preordering with them so I'm not sure what to expect.

[quote name='jms5118']^^^ It's so they can later release a 3ds XL and cash in again. that's my main problem with nintendo, they release too many versions of there portable consoles. i feel cheated everytime i buy one because a year later a better version comes out for the same price or cheaper than the original. it's like they purposely leave things out just so they can make new versions later on.[/QUOTE]
What the hell that even mean? How's that you're cheated every time there's a new version comes out? Do you feel cheated when they make super mario brothers 2 or 3? It's like saying you got cheated because you bought a car that can't fly and knowing there's one that allows you go underwater too.

I think what you mean to say is... There's a feature can be corrected or made available via firmware update and the company refuses to do so because it wants to sell it in the new model (like DSLR cameras), then yeah makes sense. DSi and DSi XL are two different models, you can't update the DSi into XL via firmware update :lol: Nintendo can release the XL as the initial launch, but the price is higher and there will be uproars on how come the thing is so big...

Now that every other retailers are taking pre-orders on the 3DS, I think I'll wait for a better deal.

I really want to like the 3DS. In fact, I like what I've read about the system itself and don't much mind the price. However, the games just do nothing for me. Most of the launch games I'd have little interest in paying $20 for, let alone $40. I feel like I've played many of them before, and just have little desire to pay so much for that experience again.

I'm sure I will get one eventually, but I'd imagine it would be when the generation 2 model (3DS lite?) comes out or at the very least when more interesting games come out.

I'm in the same boat, pjb16. I'm sure that the 3DS will eventually become an amazing platform.

While you're waiting for the library to get a chance to really establish itself it'll give Nintendo a chance to refine the hardware and possibly even provide a small price cut. The GBA SP and DS Lite were impressive leaps forward over their initial offerings. There doesn't seem to be a reason that Nintendo can't make similar strides this generation.

[quote name='Thrinn']I'm in the same boat, pjb16. I'm sure that the 3DS will eventually become an amazing platform.

While you're waiting for the library to get a chance to really establish itself it'll give Nintendo a chance to refine the hardware and possibly even provide a small price cut. The GBA SP and DS Lite were impressive leaps forward over their initial offerings. There's doesn't seem to be a reason that Nintendo can't make similar strides this generation.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, same with me.. most of the launch titles are either remakes or ports. I suppose the non-port/remake that stands out the most is Pilot Wings. Other than that I'm somewhat interested in DoA, (but I've played the previous iterations so there's no real need for me to buy it..) Ridge Racer, and possibly Lego Star Wars. The game I'm looking forward to that definitely won't be a launch title is RE: Revelations, but I'm assuming that will be released near the end of the year.

[quote name='pjb16']Most of the launch games I'd have little interest in paying $20 for, let alone $40. I feel like I've played many of them before, and just have little desire to pay so much for that experience again.
[/QUOTE]

Games are actually $40 to $50 MSRP

[quote name='Xenogears']Games are actually $40 to $50 MSRP[/QUOTE]

Who in their right mind would pay $50 for a handheld game? $40 is already pushing it. Psp games don't cost $50, unless Ninty is using this 3D gimmick as an excuse to bump the price up.

[quote name='tmacairjordan87']Who in their right mind would pay $50 for a handheld game?[/QUOTE]IIRC Japanese gamers will be asked to pay up to about $70 for some 3DS games.

[quote name='chimpmeister']Sounds great. I'm waiting for the 3DS Lite SP XL version, should be out within a year of the regular 3DS. 3D games on this thing are going to so innovative and kool!!!! :applause:[/QUOTE]

I can't wait for the PSP 20003000GO in a year. Its awesome. :applause:

Where is the complaining about new Apples every year? Heck, what about cars?

[quote name='tmacairjordan87']Who in their right mind would pay $50 for a handheld game? $40 is already pushing it. Psp games don't cost $50, unless Ninty is using this 3D gimmick as an excuse to bump the price up.[/QUOTE]

Well, considering this is CAG.. You don't necessarily have to buy a game at MSRP. But yes, I'm sure 3D adds some sort of significant development cost, and it does seem to be the trend that each generation (no matter the platform) increases in price. I was surprised when I saw DS games retail for $40, but I've dealt with it.

[quote name='helmet']Well, considering this is CAG.. You don't necessarily have to buy a game at MSRP. But yes, I'm sure 3D adds some sort of significant development cost, and it does seem to be the trend that each generation (no matter the platform) increases in price. I was surprised when I saw DS games retail for $40, but I've dealt with it.[/QUOTE]

It went down with the PS1, Dreamcast, PS2, GC, and Xbox. It was ridiculous buying games at 70-80 dollars for Super Nintendo, Genesis, and N64.

[quote name='Thrinn']IIRC Japanese gamers will be asked to pay up to about $70 for some 3DS games.[/QUOTE]

which is nothing new to them, they've paid that much for psp/ds games.

[quote name='doodofdoods']which is nothing new to them, they've paid that much for psp/ds games.[/QUOTE]

And you really can't compare prices like that. Completely different economy and it's not like they can hop over the border to buy stuff like our Canadian friends.

They pay $50 for square watermelons!!! :whee:

I am just amazed at the internet jumping onto the prices of the 3DS and games.

Both hardware and software match the PSP ($250) and its games ($40-50) at launch. I remember games like Lumines, Darkstalkers and Metal Gear Acid etc were $40, while Dynasty Warriors, NFL Street, Tony Hawk and Need For Speed etc go for $50. The system was selling like crazy at launch and beating the DS. It was until the lack of unique and interesting software then it slowly losing ground to the DS (which had crazy titles like Nintendogs, Meteos, Brain Age etc you can't find anywhere back then). So the problem of the PSP was clearly not the price, but the software. And the 3DS is a 2011 product, while PSP was a 2005.

PSP software price generally stayed at that range for about a year until they dropped by $10. Even today many software are usually launched at $40 (God of War, Kingdom Hearts, Ys Seven etc), with some at $30.

[quote name='Xenogears']Games are actually $40 to $50 MSRP[/QUOTE]
Yes, I'm well aware of that. That's why I said I wouldn't pay $20, let alone $40.

[quote name='juanawoman']I can't wait for the PSP 20003000GO in a year. Its awesome. :applause:

Where is the complaining about new Apples every year? Heck, what about cars?[/QUOTE]
I could very well be wrong, but I'm pretty sure car models don't significantly change from year to year until like 4-5 years down from an initial run.

For example 2007 Chevy Impala is extremely similar to a 2009 Chevy Impala, and you could use many of the same parts and know how to do repairs of each. I believe many car manufacturers and models follow similar trends.

The only way I could even fathom paying $50 for a handheld game would be if psp2 is very close to ps3 in power, and they have a near ps3 quality version of uncharted or something like that.

Even then I'd probably wait on a huge price drop. You're asking me to pay as much as a Steam game and almost as much as a new console game...for a handheld. That is a huge problem with me.

If the June 2 release date holds for Mario Kart, I have a feeling a lot of the naysayers will suddenly be jumping on the bandwagon pretty fast. (Actually June 2 looks like an awesome day all around for the 3ds)

[quote name='Justin42']If the June 2 release date holds for Mario Kart, I have a feeling a lot of the naysayers will suddenly be jumping on the bandwagon pretty fast. (Actually June 2 looks like an awesome day all around for the 3ds)[/QUOTE]

Why would mario kart be the game that silences doubters? It's just mario kart, not exactly a graphics beast or a gameplay one for that matter.

[quote name='Justin42']If the June 2 release date holds for Mario Kart, I have a feeling a lot of the naysayers will suddenly be jumping on the bandwagon pretty fast. (Actually June 2 looks like an awesome day all around for the 3ds)[/QUOTE]

The June 2nd date's a placeholder. Most of those games won't come out in the "launch window" of 3ds. They'll have to spread the releases apart some, and would probably want a strong fall line-up of games. Mario Kart's been one of their best sellers for the DS and Wii, so I imagine that'll be saved for the fall.

[quote name='tmacairjordan87']Why would mario kart be the game that silences doubters? It's just mario kart, not exactly a graphics beast or a gameplay one for that matter.[/QUOTE]

MKDS was byfar the greatest online DS game, and games will be clamoring for some frenzy kart racing.

Yea, because I haven't played Mario Kart like 5 different times.

There's no way I'm not going to be able to wait 6+ months after release to play it, I'm going to have to go right out and by a 3DS right then and there. :roll:

[quote name='pjb16']Yea, because I haven't played Mario Kart like 5 different times.

There's no way I'm not going to be able to wait 6+ months after release to play it, I'm going to have to go right out and by a 3DS right then and there. :roll:[/QUOTE]

Except the 3DS will be sold out everywhere. I expect a Wii-like frenzy for it

[quote name='tmacairjordan87']Why would mario kart be the game that silences doubters? It's just mario kart, not exactly a graphics beast or a gameplay one for that matter.[/QUOTE]

LOL Mariokart Wii is the best selling non-pack in videogame of all time.

[quote name='jms5118']^^^ It's so they can later release a 3ds XL and cash in again. that's my main problem with nintendo, they release too many versions of there portable consoles. i feel cheated everytime i buy one because a year later a better version comes out for the same price or cheaper than the original. it's like they purposely leave things out just so they can make new versions later on.[/QUOTE]

There are 4 versions of the psp...

[quote name='the_legend_of_drtre']What part of NON pack in do you not understand? Wiisports is a pack in. So is Wiiplay, people bought it for an extra controller.[/QUOTE]

I'm pointing out you choosing the wrong game. Wii Play isn't a pack-in either because it wasn't bundled with the console.

[quote name='Nohbdy']I'm pointing out you choosing the wrong game. Wii Play isn't a pack-in either because it wasn't bundled with the console.[/QUOTE]

It's a controller pack in.:roll: Nobody would have paid $50 for Wiiplay without it. Just stop.

In all honesty, I'm getting the 3DS more for the games than 3D. The OG DS has one of the best lineups of games around. I think its successor will too.

[quote name='the_legend_of_drtre']LOL Mariokart Wii is the best selling non-pack in videogame of all time.[/QUOTE]

Yeah it sold pretty well to the casuals, but that has nothing to do with what I said. Doubters would be gamers in this case, if anything mgs3 or resident evil would silence them...games that can actually impress and show off the system.

[quote name='tmacairjordan87']Yeah it sold pretty well to the casuals, but that has nothing to do with what I said. Doubters would be gamers in this case, if anything mgs3 or resident evil would silence them...games that can actually impress and show off the system.[/QUOTE]

To the casuals? It sold 24 million. I'm pretty sure a decent portion of those were core gamers. Especially the early adopters.

To say mariokart isn't a gamers game is ridiculous. It's Mariokart. Not Wiifit.

[quote name='the_legend_of_drtre']To the casuals? It sold 24 million. I'm pretty sure a decent portion of those were core gamers. Especially the early adopters.

To say mariokart isn't a gamers game is ridiculous. It's Mariokart. Not Wiifit.[/QUOTE]

It's the most casual racer of any kind out there, even for arcade racers like Burnout and Need for Speed. It's to racers what smash bros is to fighters. There's nothing in MK that could even be considered for core gamers, other than the characters which are just skins.

There's nothing wrong with it being casual though, it's just not going to impress gamers on a tech level.

[quote name='the_legend_of_drtre']The ps1? The ps2? Your mother?[/QUOTE]

Nice comeback , lets bring up console systems to counter a point about 2 handhelds you cant be this stupid, but then again you actually went out of your way to debate the 3ds is more powerful than the psp which is the biggest duh anyone could have ever predicted.

[quote name='renique46']Nice comeback , lets bring up console systems to counter a point about 2 handhelds you cant be this stupid, but then again you actually went out of your way to debate the 3ds is more powerful than the psp which is the biggest duh anyone could have ever predicted.[/QUOTE]

Look at this thread, he links to his fanboy youtube page.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=285136

:lol:
Apparently he calls his immensely popular youtube broadcasts WiiNside(his butt):booty:. TMI, dood.

I did a pre-order at Gamestop. I was going to do Amazon, but I want it on release day. The battery life does make me raise an eyebrow, but I'm really hoping it's a set of numbers given for if you max out all it's features. Since you can transfer your DSi info to your new 3DS (thank goodness), IF/WHEN they drop the 3DS New/XL/i/sexymother(shutyourmouth!!!), I'll transfer that over too.

The amount of time I've spent with my DS and the time my wife spends with hers, this is a no brainer for me. First I'll get mine, then I'm sure she'll want one on too. lol

Does anyone know if the 3ds will fill the screens when running a DS game? It always made me mad how the DS didn't use the full screen avilable when running a GBA game.

bread's done
Back