Nintendo 3DS Price Drop Hits on August 9th at Walmart

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
[IMG-R=5838]24198[/IMG-R]According to a trusted source, Walmart will be dropping the price of the Nintendo 3DS on August 9th, 3 days before the official drop takes effect. This means savvy shoppers will be able to get the new low price and the 20 free downloadable games available as a reward to early adopters of the 3DS. Just connect to the Nintendo eShop at least once before 11:59 p.m. Eastern time on Aug. 11 to qualify for the free games.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, this west coast guy appreciates the failed attempts of you east coast folks are reporting, saving me from wasting time checking it out myself. Cheapy D, I think you just cinched the CAG Villain of the year for this hope crushing fail, unless it starts magically working later in the day.

[quote name='watcher0']Well, this west coast guy appreciates the failed attempts of you east coast folks are reporting, saving me from wasting time checking it out myself. Cheapy D, I think you just cinched the CAG Villain of the year for this hope crushing fail, unless it starts magically working later in the day.[/QUOTE]

It won't be "magic" - it'll be like so many people on here have said - not until the department manager works the price change.

[quote name='strait edge follower']Even it doesn't work who cares ! Just wait till friday. This isn't serious or anything if cheaps was wrong about this[/QUOTE]

The only reason people are buying this now is for the 20 free games. I almost got suckered into it too, but came to my senses and will wait for some bundle with a corrected hinge, corrected dpad, etc... some time down the road.

[quote name='scottman']The only reason people are buying this now is for the 20 free games. I almost got suckered into it too, but came to my senses and will wait for some bundle with a corrected hinge, corrected dpad, etc... some time down the road.[/QUOTE]

Same with me. I was asking myself all this time if I should get it for some free games, but then realized it's not the time for me. I will definitely wait until a Red bundle comes out or will buy a used one with extras on Craigslist for cheaper. Maybe buy a new/used one on eBay later and get SquareTrade warranty on it. Also, if you wanted those free games, buy one of those R4 cards to play backup games; that you already own of course ;)

[quote name='OHSD']Same with me. I was asking myself all this time if I should get it for some free games, but then realized it's not the time for me. I will definitely wait until a Red bundle comes out or will buy a used one with extras on Craigslist for cheaper. Maybe buy a new/used one on eBay later and get SquareTrade warranty on it. Also, if you wanted those free games, buy one of those R4 cards to play backup games; that you already own of course ;)[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm sure stealing will convince Nintendo to release more games for the 3DS.

[quote name='OHSD']Also, if you wanted those free games, buy one of those R4 cards to play backup games; that you already own of course ;)[/QUOTE]

See ya.

[quote name='Earthbound_X']Yeah, I'm sure stealing will convince Nintendo to release more games for the 3DS.[/QUOTE]

Like I said "Games you own". Just a suggestion. If you disagree, that's cool, but reading the other posts saying they already have these games, isn't it okay to have backups to play? If not, my bad.

[quote name='OHSD']Like I said "Games you own". Just a suggestion. If you disagree, that's cool, but reading the other posts saying they already have these games, isn't it okay to have backups to play? If not, my bad.[/QUOTE]

Well the winking smiling face, makes it seems to suggest you are implying people steal games.

[quote name='Earthbound_X']That report is about all 3DS, not just the Blue. I've read and heard that the black may have some problems with some wobble with the hinges between the two screens. It could be just a rumor, but I'd rather not take any chances.[/QUOTE]

You would have thought Nintendo would have perfected the hardware design after making so many iterations of the DS.:roll:

[quote name='Earthbound_X']Well the winking smiling face, makes it seems to suggest you are implying people steal games.[/QUOTE]

I didn't suggest stealing, merely just saying that the backups were an option. I understand some people out there don't use it for it's intended purposes but there are those who just do it for backups.

Alright, I got something that might help people who are interested in picking up a 3DS at Walmart that will get you the upc number so you can scan the price for yourself instead of asking an associate to do it for you.

Anyway, head over to www.upcdatabase.com and look to the left and click 'look up'. You'll be forwarded to a page that requests a upc number. Enter one of the following:

Aqua Blue 3DS - 045496719227

Cosmo Black 3DS - 045496719210

The site will turn the number into a barcode which you can then print and bring to scan at Walmart. Only one code should be enough to confirm both prices, just be aware that the upc for the Aqua Blue 3DS will come up as an unknown product in upcdatabase.com. Just ignore it, it'll scan. Also, the price checkers at Walmart can't read off phones very well so I suggest printing beforehand.

For whatever reason, I can't link the barcode pics directly so this is how it's done. There's probably an easier way to look up the barcode but this is what I've done plenty of times at multiple retailers (besides Walmart) every time a price drop is impending. Hope it helps alleviate some migraine for those of you who are sensitive to idiocy in Walmart.

Got another story about heading to Wal-Mart after midnight, I'm in Washington State. There was only an old women working there, and she had no idea what I was talking about. I was even planning to buy one at 250, and get the refund difference on the 12th. But she said something about the UPC, might not be the same on the lower priced units, so I might not have been able to get that 80 bucks refunded. So I'll check back later today, if its not changed then, I guess this was just a rumor. That is, if they price has changed, and they even still have some, the website said my store has limited supply.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was given two separate times (6 a.m. and 7 a.m. for two different stores) as to when the prices would switch. The one I am closer to said 6, but I am really skeptical. Wouldn't the time be universal across all stores? If it is early enough I can go pick one up before having to wait until tomorrow.

[quote name='Tankinator']I was given two separate times (6 a.m. and 7 a.m. for two different stores) as to when the prices would switch. The one I am closer to said 6, but I am really skeptical. Wouldn't the time be universal across all stores? If it is early enough I can go pick one up before having to wait until tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

I doubt it's universal. From what other people have said, the store manager has to adjust the price manually. Don't get why many of the CAGs in this thread are so anxious, but yeah... give it some time or something. :p

I don't know where he is.
I also saw on another website that a Wal-Mart employee saw the document about the price drop.

I am going to Wal-mart now, because I have some other errands to run I mine as well swing by. I will let everyone know how it goes.

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN WE HAVE A SALE.
They were doing prices as I came up, I told them about it (the manager was there), he had no prior knowledge but it was in the system and they printed the lables and slapped em in!

[quote name='sithspawn']Just letting everyone know. Just got back from Walmart (EDT here) and they had no clue. I had him scan it with the handheld and with the register - $250.00 every time. He also said it's bullshit that the managers have to mark things down. He said price changes come down to the store from corporate and automatically update. He also said people have been calling all day - in fact, people were calling about it while we were there.

I guess I'll jump in there some time tomorrow, but it's not looking good now...[/QUOTE]

So yeah, I'm going to head back there this morning to check it out. Not expecting much, but I'll reply here in a bit.

[quote name='Xellos2099']If i can get it from walmart tomorrow i am returning my best buy unit... not sure if i want to deal with the whole pming thing without a paper in hand....[/QUOTE]

You don't have to bring any ads to get Best Buy to refund you the difference. They don't need their own ad to verify the price drop. They scan the item to get their own store price. You just bring your receipt, tell them the price dropped, they scan your receipt which looks up the item price and confirms the change. You get refunded the difference the way you paid (cash for cash, credit for credit, store credit for store credit). Super simple. I've done it several times.

[quote name='Lkr721993']did you have to do anything or did it just ring up at the new price? shit, walmart.com shows limited stock now, i need to hurry out![/QUOTE]

She did something at the register to verify it before she went to get it out of the glass. She knew it was supposed to drop today though.

I didn't change at the Store in Evans, Ga. However, there was a lady getting the RF gun, so the change might not have happened yet. So, I'm going to send my wife back later.

Anyone know a good spot for free wifi, I tried connecting my 3ds at mcdonalds but you have to accept the terms of use with the Internet browser and when I try to get on the browser it says that's it's not available without a system update but I can't connect to update it!

just got back from my store, (bowley's quarters) baltimore, md. i asked the guy at the ipad/tablet service desk, and he went and got the dept. manager. drop in effect here, grabbed the black one. thanks cheapy

Just got one in New Albany, IN. At first scan it didn't show the drop, but 10 minutes later out did. The manager did see the drop, but it didn't seem like he did something special. He didn't know it was supposed to drop today

Just called my Walmart to ask if they had any 3DSs and they said they are currently looking for them in the back to do the price change.

hey posting from my shitty phone. Deal is good. Just picked up two for 169.99 each. Will post photo proof when I get to work.

FYI I'm in MI on EDT

bread's done
Back