Nintendo 3DS Price Drop Hits on August 9th at Walmart

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
[IMG-R=5838]24198[/IMG-R]According to a trusted source, Walmart will be dropping the price of the Nintendo 3DS on August 9th, 3 days before the official drop takes effect. This means savvy shoppers will be able to get the new low price and the 20 free downloadable games available as a reward to early adopters of the 3DS. Just connect to the Nintendo eShop at least once before 11:59 p.m. Eastern time on Aug. 11 to qualify for the free games.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is sort of off topic, but let me pose this question. I bought a 3DS four days ago from best buy and I only two games I bought with are: Zelda, Ocarina of time, and Ghost Recon game. None other games for 3DS interest me yet. Street Fighter 3D edition perhaps, but I am not paying full price for that game. So... can anyone recommend any must-play DS games that are below $20-25 dollars? I have about $105 to waste. I am open to all genres, maybe not fighters. Thanks for any suggestions.

Price match denied at Blossom Hill, CA Best Buy. Guess I'll just hope there will be another price drop between now and the end of the year so I'll wait.

[quote name='pandanese90']Went to best buy and they price matched to Walmart . I saved 10 mile drive to Walmart and got reward points and before closing time ! Got black . Driving to Target for ghost reconcile deal . Sick![/QUOTE]

I tried to price match at BB to no avail. What was your tactic?

So Cal CAGs, well those in or near the South Bay not finding any at their local walmarts should head over to Game Hut in Inglewood at the Indoor Marketplace. Apu will hook you up at the $170 price, no tax if you pay cash. I got mine last Thursday from there :cool:

Thanks to ChepyD and all the positive contribtors to this thread. Was able to price match at Best Buy tonight. So 3DS for $187, 20 Free Games and Best Buy Reward Zone points. Man I love this site.:D

Ran to the nearest Wal-Mart this afternoon (sigh, the ghetto one) and snagged a black 3DS -unfortunately at regular price. Going to try taking it to another store tomorrow to check status of price-drop. Tried calling but no one in Electronics would pick up, I could hear the lady in Customer Service (or whoever answers the store's main phone line) keep sending me back to Electronics when they didn't pick up after 10-20 rings. Went on for a few minutes, finally she hung up on me. And that was at the "better" store in a more affluent area. Sigh.

Can't people just download these old games to their pc and then transfer them to a psp or something ? Seems like a lot of trouble people are going through for these games (let alone the fact that not everyone is even getting the price ajustment). that being said I hope you guys who are trying this get them :)

[quote name='strait edge follower']Can't people just download these old games to their pc and then transfer them to a psp or something ? Seems like a lot of trouble people are going through for these games (let alone the fact that not everyone is even getting the price ajustment). that being said I hope you guys who are trying this get them :)[/QUOTE]

Doesn't sound like that much trouble to go into a Walmart and buy one. Nor buying one at Best Buy and getting a price adjustment after. And some people actually don't want to perform illlegal activities to get these games. Also I've heard that some of the included games will be in 3D which I imagine is a nice perk over any existing rom out there

[quote name='ssjmichael']Doesn't sound like that much trouble to go into a Walmart and buy one. Nor buying one at Best Buy and getting a price adjustment after. And some people actually don't want to perform illlegal activities to get these games. Also I've heard that some of the included games will be in 3D which I imagine is a nice perk over any existing rom out there[/QUOTE]

Interesting, I didn't think it was possible for these old games to get a 3d patch. What games were rumored to get the 3d treatment ?

Successfully price matched Black 3DS at Best Buy in Signal Hill Ca. At first they were kind of hesitant because online it says it's a pre-order, so i whipped out my phone and dialed the nearest Wal-mart and had them confirm the in-store price(turned on the speaker phone so the CS Rep could hear loud and clear). After confirming with Wal-mart it was a breeze. Good luck to you CAGs who haven't scored yet.

[quote name='Ed_']So Cal CAGs, well those in or near the South Bay not finding any at their local walmarts should head over to Game Hut in Inglewood at the Indoor Marketplace. Apu will hook you up at the $170 price, no tax if you pay cash. I got mine last Thursday from there :cool:[/QUOTE]

where in SB are you at? I go to GameHut all the time, they always sell games early. I'm always afraid I'm gonna get shot though.

[quote name='strait edge follower']Interesting, I didn't think it was possible for these old games to get a 3d patch. What games were rumored to get the 3d treatment ?[/QUOTE]

every NES game gets the 3D enhancement.

[quote name='ssjmichael']Doesn't sound like that much trouble to go into a Walmart and buy one. Nor buying one at Best Buy and getting a price adjustment after. And some people actually don't want to perform illlegal activities to get these games. Also I've heard that some of the included games will be in 3D which I imagine is a nice perk over any existing rom out there[/QUOTE]

It's not illegal, just unethical --if you're trying to pull one over on the non-Wal-Mart retailer. That said, maybe I'll go to my BB tomorrow and explain that I'd rather spend my money at their store than dealing with Wal-Mart, and ask if they would refund the difference on the price Friday if I buy a 3DS there tomorrow. I believe that's their policy anyway. I've been to nice Wal-Marts, but the ones around here are awful, so I'd rather support the BB (and get Rewardzone points).

[quote name='Ed_']So Cal CAGs, well those in or near the South Bay not finding any at their local walmarts should head over to Game Hut in Inglewood at the Indoor Marketplace. Apu will hook you up at the $170 price, no tax if you pay cash. I got mine last Thursday from there :cool:[/QUOTE]

Brand new?

[quote name='jetts']every NES game gets the 3D enhancement.[/QUOTE]

Would gun nac happen to be one of the nes games ? It's one of my all time favorites and playing it in 3d would be great. I would always get to the last boss and loose (ah back in the day before zelda when you had to beat the game in one playthrough). Being a much more skilled gamer now i would love to give that game a go once more

None of the "free NES games" are planned to include "3D remakes" (at the moment).
And they already said that 3D remakes are on a "per game basis" as they also redo and recolor some sprites and expand the level of view to accomodate the 3D effects better; and add widescreen too. So doubt they'll remake every game :bouncy:

Example; Excitebike:

3D:
d7Rpp.jpg

Original:
ESEpA.jpg

Maybe they'll include a 3D remake or two on teh free ones, but not expected at the moment.

EDIT:
Urban Champion...

3D
s2WRS.png

Original
gK9kH.png

[quote name='jetts']where in SB are you at? I go to GameHut all the time, they always sell games early. I'm always afraid I'm gonna get shot though.[/QUOTE]

I'm in Inglewood, within walking distance to Game Hut...I walk in there looking at people like I'm gonna shoot them, which keeps them away from me :cool:

Jcespino- Yes, brand new.

[quote name='feroca']None of the "free NES games" are planned to include "3D remakes" (at the moment).
And they already said that 3D remakes are on a "per game basis" as they also redo and recolor some sprites and expand the level of view to accomodate the 3D effects better; and add widescreen too. So doubt they'll remake every game :bouncy:

Example; Excitebike:

3D:
d7Rpp.jpg

Original:
ESEpA.jpg

Maybe they'll include a 3D remake or two on teh free ones, but not expected at the moment.[/QUOTE]

see here for info on 3D. http://nintendoeverything.com/70631/

When the games are released on Sept 1, they wont be the 3D Classics, because they are still being converted. BUT, when the 3D editions of those games do come out, Ambassadors (people who are in this program) get all of the updated versions for free. So yes, they are all in 3D.

There wouldnt be a point to put up all these NES games on the store with no enhancements; nobody would buy them. They need the 3D to be relevant.

[quote name='Ed_']I'm in Inglewood, within walking distance to Game Hut...I walk in there looking at people like I'm gonna shoot them, which keeps them away from me :cool:

Jcespino- Yes, brand new.[/QUOTE]

lol. Maybe I'll go there if my local BB won't match and my local Target doesn't have the drop yet.

[quote name='jetts']see here for info on 3D. http://nintendoeverything.com/70631/

When the games are released on Sept 1, they wont be the 3D Classics, because they are still being converted. BUT, when the 3D editions of those games do come out, Ambassadors (people who are in this program) get all of the updated versions for free. So yes, they are all in 3D.

There wouldnt be a point to put up all these NES games on the store with no enhancements; nobody would buy them. They need the 3D to be relevant.[/QUOTE]
Nope. The same link says:

These will be 2D games. They are not 3D Classics. When the NES games become available to the general public later this year, they will include additional features such as multiplayer simultaneous play. Ambassadors will then be able to download those updated version at no cost.”

The update includes multiplayer and other misc. updates. Even the original press release mentioned that "misc. update"; is not an update that turned the game into 3D.

[quote name='strait edge follower']Would gun nac happen to be one of the nes games ? It's one of my all time favorites and playing it in 3d would be great. I would always get to the last boss and loose (ah back in the day before zelda when you had to beat the game in one playthrough). Being a much more skilled gamer now i would love to give that game a go once more[/QUOTE]

I dont know. They've only released the names of 5 games so far, so we will have to wait and see. Here's the list:

"announced examples for the NES are: Super Mario Bros, Donkey Kong Jr, Balloon Fight, Ice Climber and The Legend of Zelda. The GBA examples are: Yoshi’s Island: Super Mario Advance 3, Mario Kart: Super Circuit, Metroid Fusion, WarioWare, Inc: Mega Microgame$ and Mario vs Donkey Kong."

For everyone saying, "You can download these off PC and put on PSP" , "You can get ROMS for free" , "the system will be cheaper later".SHUT THE fuck UP! This thread is to help those who planned on getting the system eventually get in on a good deal so early on in the consoles life cycle. All you naysayers and negative douchebags please enlighten all of us here on a better deal in the past on a hand held game system this early on. You get the only 3D hanheld console (not phone before somone decides to get technical) for a decent price, 20 Free games and for some Reward zone points that will net you even more $$$ to put towards future gaming purchases.

[quote name='neudog']For everyone saying, "You can download these off PC and put on PSP" , "You can get ROMS for free" , "the system will be cheaper later".SHUT THE fuck UP! This thread is to help those who planned on getting the system eventually get in on a good deal so early on in the consoles life cycle. All you naysayers and negative douchebags please enlighten all of us here on a better deal in the past on a hand held game system this early on. You get the only 3D hanheld console (not phone before somone decides to get technical) for a decent price, 20 Free games and for some Reward zone points that will net you even more $$$ to put towards future gaming purchases.[/QUOTE]

AMEN!
I convinced myself of getting a 3DS but I have to go get it at BB and hope they price match my closest Walmart which is 25 miles away, otherwise, I am going to have to get a price adjustment when the price drops.

"Sources in Gamestop have revealed to Original-Gamer.com that a company-wide email was sent out to their stores late Tuesday night. The email, from Nintendo, states that 3DS consoles sold by Walmart starting on the day of the price drop will NOT be added to the Nintendo 3DS Ambassador program unless Walmart provides Nintendo with all the serial numbers of the handhelds sold during the period of August 9-11."

Any truth to this?

[quote name='thisboywillbreak']"Sources in Gamestop have revealed to Original-Gamer.com that a company-wide email was sent out to their stores late Tuesday night. The email, from Nintendo, states that 3DS consoles sold by Walmart starting on the day of the price drop will NOT be added to the Nintendo 3DS Ambassador program unless Walmart provides Nintendo with all the serial numbers of the handhelds sold during the period of August 9-11."

Any truth to this?[/QUOTE]

Sounds fake. System brought at Walmart today already got the notification they are in Ambassador

[quote name='jedimario']Online it lists the reduced price as a preorder but says that it will not ship until 8/12. If that is the case then I may return the one I bought and go buy it at Best Buy so that I at least get some RZ certificates if they refuse to do a price drop match.[/QUOTE]

I just wanted to thank Walmart and CheapyD for letting us know about this deal. Sorry for doubting, and thanks again.

[quote name='thisboywillbreak']"Sources in Gamestop have revealed to Original-Gamer.com that a company-wide email was sent out to their stores late Tuesday night. The email, from Nintendo, states that 3DS consoles sold by Walmart starting on the day of the price drop will NOT be added to the Nintendo 3DS Ambassador program unless Walmart provides Nintendo with all the serial numbers of the handhelds sold during the period of August 9-11."

Highly doubtful and that makes no sense at all. There is just so much wrong with that, that when I try and even write a post detailing the misinformation I can't focus. So, yeah, I'd ignore that.

Thanks CheapyD! I went to my local Walmart, and I bought the black 3DS.. and I have enough of a backlog to keep me company until the 3DS Game I'm waiting for comes out. *Please Nintendo, release Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask for the 3DS!!!* :p

Hey guys!

Just bought a 3DS. Where do I get the notification that I'm in the ambassador program? Do I have to do something special?

[quote name='EarthBoundBoy']I tried to price match at BB to no avail. What was your tactic?[/QUOTE]

i just went there and this bald guy with glasses and a red goatee (like the guy from mythbusters) asked if i wanted anything and i said if they had any 3ds's. he said they have lots of em, and i said black. then i asked him if they can price match it to walmart, since theyre doing the 169.99 deal. he said yeah and brought it up to the front!!! it rang up for $250 but then what happened is that they had a data base on their computer which had a list of stores and he selected walmart and typed "price match" and added in the 169.99 and poof! it came out to be like 184 with tax! pretty cool. im sure they will let u, i dont see why they wont :/ i guess it depends on the people , some stores dont let but BB was never a great store to be with from the start. this was my best trip to BB in all my years of knowing it existing. gl

I can't imagine Nintendo excluding people who took advantage of this early price break. This is already a contentious promo after a shaky system launch - do you even think they'd want even more ill will? I say ignore that GameStop rumor for now.

[quote name='NeoGutsman']I can't imagine Nintendo excluding people who took advantage of this early price break. This is already a contentious promo after a shaky system launch - do you even think they'd want even more ill will? I say ignore that GameStop rumor for now.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I tend to agree. Though that site stated it was a rumor, they also tweeted this: "Got some new info, pulling the story for now, but it seems to be worse than what i was told." When I @'d them, they said: "wont be till morning. waiting on that email."

I only brought it up because so many people got in on this, and I plan on seeing if BB will price match later today.

Phew. I bought my 3DS earlier this morning, but just logged onto the eShop a moment ago. Now that I'm through with that, I think I'll tuck my 3DS away until I figure out what kind of screen protectors/cases/games to buy.

I picked mine up at a Walmart in Austin this morning - no problems at all.

Very cool, and despite the churn with this posting, this is the kind of info and deal that makes being a CAGer so great.

Why would Nintendo send emails to Gamestop about Walmart's business dealings?

[quote name='offensive_jerk']Why would Nintendo send emails to Gamestop about Walmart's business dealings?[/QUOTE]

I have no idea. I took it as a warning or something. It seems made up to me, like I said, was just curious.

I hope that is a huge lie.

that statement doesn't even make any sense. nintendo can't stop consoles from being ambassadors without the serial number, so they are basically making an empty demand for the serial numbers. walmart has no reason to comply, because there is no way that nintendo will cut off supply to wal mart of all places. sounds like a bitter early adopter that wants to stir up trouble

[quote name='Lkr721993']that statement doesn't even make any sense. nintendo can't stop consoles from being ambassadors without the serial number, so they are basically making an empty demand for the serial numbers. walmart has no reason to comply, because there is no way that nintendo will cut off supply to wal mart of all places. sounds like a bitter early adopter that wants to stir up trouble[/QUOTE]

Exactly.. And besides, how would Nintendo know that we bought the 3DS at Walmart anyway? I can say that I bought it at Target or Best Buy or [insert random store name here]..

bread's done
Back