Nintendo at E3 (Uh oh Smash fans + Unannounced Games Playable)

Foolman

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
From the Game Life blog.
Disappointing news for Nintendo fans looking for hands-on impressions of Super Smash Bros. Brawl -- the Wii fighting game won't be playable at next week's E3. Game|Life's media relations representative at Nintendo confirmed the news this afternoon, but stressed that Smash Bros. was still very much on for its 2007 release date.
Nintendo's stance is that they are going to have an E3 with a very narrow focus on a group of key software titles.
Several never-before-seen Wii titles will be announced and playable at the show, but due to the constrictive, tightly scheduled nature of this year's scaled-back E3, Nintendo wanted to have a smaller game portfolio.

http://blog.wired.com/games/2007/07/nintendo-smash-.html

So I'm guessing this is why they are actually attending TGS this year.

Meh, I'm fine with that, as long as many new titles are released. I already know Smash Bros is going to rule, so I honestly don't have to see it.

I honestly don't think that it was a totally bad move.. as they said, it's a smaller show and it would probably be better for them to concentrate on lesser known/newer games. I think SSBB has enough hype going for it at the moment.

But I do wonder what new games will be shown.

I bet they will show off Super 120% Rhythm Fun Bros.

@Vinny, I still laugh everytime I see that Epic Failure picture :)

Not showing Smash is Nintendo's best move in regards to said game. Bravo Nintendo.

I want my Pilot Wings Wii damnit!

My guess is they'll do a new trailer, announce Sonic, and have a Nintendo thing in August or September.

The dojo gives us consistent updates so I'm ok with this :)

Then again, Smash Bros could take a shit in my ear and I'd be ok with that too.

Relating to the article and the general public...I don't see how eveyone believes SSBB is coming out this year. Nintendo does this all the time! There is no way in hell that game is coming out this year. Metroid comes out in August. Mario will hopefully come out in November. There will be no smash brothers until 2008. Hate me all you want, but somewhere deep down you know it's possibly true. How many times did they promise Zelda: TP for release on the gamecube BEFORE THE WII RELEASE? Dozens! They delayed it by over a year at the LAST minute. Smash brothers is my favorite series, but I just can't get my hopes up about seeing it this year, considering Halo and most of the other 2007 releases have had release dates for a good while.

FYI: This article shows the first Zelda delay in 2005...

http://cube.ign.com/articles/642/642238p1.html

Now, this article is one of dozens showing Zelda's second major delay 2 months before it was scheduled for release...
http://cube.gamespy.com/gamecube/the-legend-of-zelda-the-wind-waker-2/688368p1.html

I'm guessing Smash Brothers will be released spring of 2008...

I'm guessing it will come out Dec 24 or Dec 31. The only reason I don't think it will be delayed until spring is because of the massive flow of updates coming from the SSBB Dojo site.

Zelda is a slightly different issue, since they put in an effort to kill the gamecube early.

If E3 is to show new stuff on a smaller scale, having Smash playable there would completely work against that. They wouldnt be able to get anything done, everyone would just be in line to play it, then they would get back in line to play it again.

Its that kind of thing that pissed off everyone else at the last E3.

Playable smash makes no sense. The game isn't finished, isn't balanced, and isn't ready. All this would lead to is- as DMK said, lines of people just wanting to play the game, overlooking other games, and misconceptions about the final since balancing hasn't been finished.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']Its that kind of thing that pissed off everyone else at the last E3.[/quote]
Actually, it was the rediculously long, manufactured Wii line that Nintendo created for the publicity.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Actually, it was the rediculously long, manufactured Wii line that Nintendo created for the publicity.[/QUOTE]

Phew. For a second there I thought you had a point, but then I realized you didn't.

[quote name='Strell']Phew. For a second there I thought you had a point, but then I realized you didn't.[/quote]
My point was that DMK didn't know what pissed everyone off at E3 last year. I didn't realize you would get angered by that. ;)

*crosses fingers for Kirby, Star Fox, and Animal Crossing Wii titles*

As for Smash, as everyone else said, having it not playable is the smartest thing Nintendo can do.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Actually, it was the rediculously long, manufactured Wii line that Nintendo created for the publicity.[/quote]

Uhh... what?

StarFox 64 Remake since they seem to have a hard time making sequels. Animal crossing online, confirm Super Smash bros online, I want a real donkey kong game, and maybe some solid release dates and i would be extremely happy.

Created for publicity makes it seem like it was artificial and that nearly everybody at the convention didn't want to get in line.

Yes there was line. This is what happens when you have too many folks and you cant accomodate them at one time. The line got media coverage, yes, but you cant conclude that the line was formed for that purpose.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']Created for publicity makes it seem like it was artificial and that nearly everybody at the convention didn't want to get in line.[/quote]
Exactly, Nintendo essentially hid the Wii and the games inside of one section of their booth so that the only way you could even get a glimpse was to wait in line. Add in the amount of people that shouldn't have been there that were clogging up the line for those that had work to do and you have a recipe for a huge line that could've been avoided pretty easily, if Nintendo wanted to avoid it. The inside of the booth was just horrible, mobs of people forming around the many demo stations that left little room to move aorund, except for the exit where the less prestigious titles and the VC were set up. It was one of the bigger showcases of what was wrong with the huge, monstrous E3 that led to the neat, tidy, and efficient E3 that'll debut next week.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']Yes there was line. This is what happens when you have too many folks and you cant accomodate them at one time. The line got media coverage, yes, but you cant conclude that the line was formed for that purpose.[/quote]
It's easy to come to that conclusion because it could've been more efficiently designed to make it easier for anyone to at least see the Wii instead of shoving everybody into a tight space. It was obvious that they wanted to keep it hidden and limit the traffic into the booth, so naturally back-ups occur and for something with this much buzz, they didn't really bother to avoid it. It was most likely a calculated move.

Um... have you ever been to E3 before?

This is the way it is every time that someone has the "must see" item or event at the show. I remember people waiting for 2 or 3 hours to see the damn 7 minute Halo trailer back when.

You are right about one thing though, it's about marketing and hype. They had the must see device at the show and everyone knew it because of the wait that people had to endure to get a chance to see it.

Back on topic. If you read the article, you see that he says that he has 55 minutes to look at everything that Nintendo has to offer in their area this time. It just makes sense to not have a playable demo for the games that people would spend the most time on and instead give them playable versions of the games that they didn't know would be there.

I wonder if Frisky throws a fit when he goes into a store and all the clearance stuff is tucked away in a corner, forcing him to meander through different aisles and see other products before reaching the things on sale.

I also wonder if he's ever been to a concert, New York City, or on an airplane.

That kind of thing happens every year. MGS2, MGS3, Halo 2, Wii. It's not "made up " by nintendo.

Last year was the worst yet in terms of gamestop cronies being let in and such too, so it's only natural that the lines would be the worst. Why do you think the show got scaled back?

I think everyone's expectations for E3 in general are too high. It's going to be pushing fewer titles more strongly. It's going to be focused on what's out this year, not announcements of things just starting development.

That's a shame, but at least we'll be seeing something new and in playable format (so I can read hands-on previews from the fine folks at GameSpot.)

bread's done
Back