Nintendo Direct E3 2013 - Mario, DKCR2, Bayo2, X, Smash

Here's a couple videos that provide a more in depth look into MK8, Smash, and SM3DW:

MK8

http://youtu.be/NARhOONsTLY

SM3DW

http://youtu.be/JooUqPF2Lf4

Smash Bros

http://youtu.be/vQD1yJinzeQ

After watching these vids I am a little more intrigued by these three, especially 3D World.  I hope you can control the camera freely using a second analog stick in addition to using the Gamepad gyroscope. 

I really hope 3D World is an expansive console experience instead of a HD 3D Land clone.

Smash and Mario Kart look awesome, but the real test is going to be how solid the online experience will turn out. 

Last edited by a moderator:
WiiFit Trainer is this entry's Mr. Game & Watch and R.O.B. I can't wait to play her.

They probably just didn't show it, but the WiiU stages so far look like glorified Battlefield and Final Destination stages. Where's the stage hazards?

Man, Nintendo is really trying to pull me back in with the Smash Bros and even Mario Kart looks pretty great to me.  I'm still gonna wait for a price drop but odds are I'll own a Wii U in 2014.

Also really gonna start looking for a good deal on the 3DS, maybe I'll find one out in the wild at Sears.

Yeah one knock I had against Mario 3D Land was that it had time limits which encouraged you to rush through a level rather than explore.

"Until now, Samus was based off of design from Super Metroid. But she's been given a major makeover. Her design is now closer to that of Metroid Other M."
fuck you Nintendo.
Eh, Other M may have been a crappy game, but I like Samus' design. Besides, characters are typically designed with their latest games in mind.

This game seems to exchange the realistic textures of Brawl to make the characters resemble how they look in their respective series.

I don't what all of you think about Other M, that's your opinion. I just hate being reminded of the fact that Other M exists.

Well, at least the Best Buy kiosk demos are much better than the leak from the other day.  I might actually head up there tomorrow - not sure though as it is 40-50 miles round trip.

Whew...pretty negative reactions in here.  I think the combined WIi U & 3DS 2013 exclusives are pretty compelling, though I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed with the lack of Metroid:

June: New Super Luigi U

July: SMT IV

August: Pikmin 3, Mario & Luigi Dream Team

September: The Wonderful 101

October: Wind Waker HD, Pokemon X/Y

November: Zelda: A Link Between Worlds, Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze

December: Super Mario 3D World, Yoshi's New Island, Sonic Lost Worlds

Plus, you'll get the usual Activision, Warner, and Ubisoft nonsense like Batman, Assassin's Creed, Call of Duty, etc.

Nvm thought we were talking about the Wii U title...

I'm a very disappointed that our 3D Mario is 3D World which is just another get to the end of the level/obstacle course format game. Mario 64 is, in my opinion, one of most wonderfully designed works in this entire medium. The fact they refuse to use that formula again is a real shame, especially since almost every other Mario platformer does the obstacle course format.

My heart sank when I saw that timer in the corner of the screen, and I immediately knew it would be another linear obstacle coursed based game, instead of building on the game concept that made 3D Mario so iconic - Super Mario 64.  The immersion I got from that game, I felt like I was playing in the actual Murshroom Kingdom, and that the world of Mario was a real, living breathing place that was being taken over by Bowser.  Now all of the NSMBs and 3DLands are just linear arcade-type games.  Can't we get one serious game or new concept?  What happened to Nintendo innovation? 

I'm a very disappointed that our 3D Mario is 3D World which is just another get to the end of the level/obstacle course format game. Mario 64 is, in my opinion, one of most wonderfully designed works in this entire medium. The fact they refuse to use that formula again is a real shame, especially since almost every other Mario platformer does the obstacle course format.

My heart sank when I saw that timer in the corner of the screen, and I immediately knew it would be another linear obstacle coursed based game, instead of building on the game concept that made 3D Mario so iconic - Super Mario 64. The immersion I got from that game, I felt lile I was playing in the actual Murshroom Kingdom, and that the world of Mario was a real, living breathing place that was being taken over by Bowser. Now all of the NSMBs and 3DLands are just linear arcade-type games. Can't we get one serious game or new concept? What happened to Nintendo innovation?
My thoughts exactly. The reason I really felt meh at this Nintendo Direct was because of this. They could of shown something brilliant with Mario, but instead they just made it another get to the end of the level while collecting 3 of whatever the item of the day is game. Also while Mario Kart looks fantastic, I can't help but remember that Nintendo still can't balance the game right so I can't even be excited for that.

I didn't need to see tons of new and innovative games, I just needed to see something that I haven't seen before. Something that just isn't the same 3DS game just with new levels, and shows that yes, you need the power of the WiiU for this. I feel like a lot of Nintendo games are becoming HD ports with new levels instead of something special.

Except for X. X is probably in my top 5 most anticipated games coming out in the future list. That and that new Sonic, wow. Sonic is different but it's awesome.

I don't what all of you think about Other M, that's your opinion. I just hate being reminded of the fact that Other M exists.
Pretty much. Not to mention it means Heel Suit Samus. fuck you, Nintendo. You oblivious pieces of shit.

Pretty much. Not to mention it means Heel Suit Samus. fuck you, Nintendo. You oblivious pieces of shit.
You say this as if people will actually be paying attention to ZSS's feet.

I fail to see how this is any different from changing the Zelda characters designs to the latest game.

You say this as if people will actually be paying attention to ZSS's feet.

I fail to see how this is any different from changing the Zelda characters designs to the latest game.
I take it you didn't pay attention to how much people hate Other M.

Tell me something. If Samus had the same exact design seen in the trailer, but Iwata did not specifically mention Other M in the video, would you still be angry?

Tell me something. If Samus had the same exact design seen in the trailer, but Iwata did not specifically mention Other M in the video, would you still be angry?
Having the Other M model doesn't matter to me. I'll play the game... if and when I get the game and Wii U.

But just to clarify: Other M, as a game, was decent.

The problem with Other M is that it basically ruined everything that made Samus Samus. Before Other M, Samus was like Nintendo's Boba Fett. After Other M, Samus was turned into something between Jar Jar Binks and a random mess of characteristics thrown together.

I just hate being reminded that Other M was the last Metroid game and there's no signs of another one. Nintendo must get off on reminding fans that they completely fucked up the character.

Yeah, not too excited for the 3D Mario and with no Mario Kart coming Pikmin is still the game I'm most excited about this year - which is a little disappointing but I'll survive ;).

At this point I'd be thrilled with Super Mario Sunshine 2.

The guys from gamertag radio really loved MK & DKC. Good to hear.

You guys are a bunch of crotchety fucks. This is the strongest console release schedule they've had in YEARS. They announced more titles for release in the next year in one day than they did during the entirety of the Wii's lifespan. I mean really, outside of Titanfall and Destiny, does anyone give two flaming shits about the X1's/Ps4's lineup? Almost every non-indie game was an FPS or a zombie apocalypse and all of the Indies are multiplats.

I'm assuming no one looked at the developer interviews or expanded trailers in the eShop?

I agree that they apparently have a much stronger lineup than either of the new consoles this season, but it is a lot of known/safe bets and nothing is wrong with being a little disappointed with that. From what I'm hearing most people who went to the actual press event walked away pretty impressed. The direct was terrible, it probably should've been about 90 minutes so they had lots of time to go into those games, talk about VC, talk about 3DS games, talk about Miiverse functionality, etc.

The Direct was fine for me but they should have mentioned that full trailers/developer interviews were in the eShop. Hell, MS doesn't even have its exclusive trailers up on XBL yet and Sony only has a partial showing ATM. I'm highly impressed with how much online preview content Nintendo has provided thus far.

The only thing I was really disappointed with, besides Mario Kart not coming this year, was Mario 3D World. I want a real open world Mario game, not an upscaled 3DS game.

I'm actually looking forward to most of the games they showed today, even the new Wii Party. I had enough fun with the original for what I paid for it.

Having the Other M model doesn't matter to me. I'll play the game... if and when I get the game and Wii U.

The problem with Other M is that it basically ruined everything that made Samus Samus. Before Other M, Samus was like Nintendo's Boba Fett. After Other M, Samus was turned into something between Jar Jar Binks and a random mess of characteristics thrown together.

I just hate being reminded that Other M was the last Metroid game and there's no signs of another one. Nintendo must get off on reminding fans that they completely fucked up the character.
You know Team Ninja developed the game right?

I want to be optimistic about 3D World but I can't help but feel that they are going to go the NSMB route and emulate a handheld experience (3D Land) to a console with more bells and whistles. 

I really hope I'm wrong and that the multiplayer is an afterthought to a meaty single player experience.  

But Yoshio Sakamoto of Nintendo, writer and director of Super Metroid, Fusion, and Zero Mission, was responsible for the story and direction of Other M, not Team Ninja. I thought Other M was fine, but I had already read all the negative reactions so I went in with lowered expectations.

But Yoshio Sakamoto of Nintendo, writer and director of Super Metroid, Fusion, and Zero Mission, was responsible for the story and direction of Other M, not Team Ninja. I thought Other M was fine, but I had already read all the negative reactions so I went in with lowered expectations.
Not to mention he chose a lot of the gameplay elements that made the game counter-productive after Team Ninja decided to make it a 3D game because they didn't know what they were doing with a 2D game.

The games in motion look like they're all running at 60 fps and look rather impressive.

Bayonetta 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=tbDjbYJ9f3k

Donkey Kong Country: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=k33MaUkmB9E

I want to be optimistic about 3D World but I can't help but feel that they are going to go the NSMB route and emulate a handheld experience (3D Land) to a console with more bells and whistles.

I really hope I'm wrong and that the multiplayer is an afterthought to a meaty single player experience.
See, I'm stoked about 3D World for the exact opposite reason: it's a game my whole family can play together that (mostly) isn't competitive. I'm at the point where if all four of us can't play the game at once then it won't be worth the time/money investment. My daughters like watching us play Galaxy and SM64 but they like it even more when they can play with us on NSMBU.

bread's done
Back