Nintendo Drops some Wii Tidbits to Camp Hyrule

jkam

CAGiversary!
Feedback
260 (100%)
Nintendo Drops some Wii Tidbits to Camp Hyrule --- Aug 16th 6:55 pm CDT
posted by JoeTillinghast

George Harrison, Vice President of Marketing and Corporate Communications for Nintendo of America, revealed a few minor details about Wii to Camp Hyrule participants today.

First up, Harrison announced that the Wii version of Twilight Princess will not have GameCube controller support. This means that if you get the Wii version of the game, you'll only be able to play using the remote instead of having a choice of controllers as was previously believed.

Harrison also discussed the possibility of using the virtual console for more than just retro games, saying, ""Remember, there are other secrets of the virtual console that we won't reveal until we get closer to launch. Virtual console offers the possibility for us to create new games, but our focus right now is in getting the Wii hardware launched and new games from Nintendo on the virtual console will be coming sometime after the launch." This had been rumored to be the plan but was never confirmed.

Source: Nintendo

Hmmm...new games from Nintendo on the virtual console coming sometime after launch? SWEET!!! Can't wait to see what they have up their sleeves. As for the Zelda TP news I may end up getting both versions of the game....still not sure on what to do with that.

It is smart since it prevents people from ignoring the Wii-mote. Honestly I'm a little annoyed though. I imagine that the gc control is probably better. Its relatively uncomplicated compared to having to move around to get things done. I don't want BOTH versions but, I don't know, I want to demo the wii version.

[quote name='seththefallen']It is smart since it prevents people from ignoring the Wii-mote. Honestly I'm a little annoyed though. I imagine that the gc control is probably better. Its relatively uncomplicated compared to having to move around to get things done. I don't want BOTH versions but, I don't know, I want to demo the wii version.[/QUOTE]
I was going to buy the Wii version with my console purchase, but now I'm going to hold off on the Zelda purchase for week or so and scan the forums. If there are enough difficulties with the Wii-mote and Zelda, I'll buy the GC version.

The footage I saw from E3 didn't convince me that the control with the Wii-mote is anywhere near as tight as the control we've been accustomed to with Zelda since OOT. It's going to be hard to abandon those controls (which I consider about as close to perfect as any game has come) for the Wii-mote.

And I don't think I'm "ignoring" the Wii-mote. I just want an option if I feel like relaxing and not swinging a control all over the place. I can see why Nintendo might not want to set the precedent of all first-party Wii games supporting GC controls, but the case of Twilight Princess is special, as it's an expansion of a game that already had the GC control scheme programmed in. Why even bother to remove it?

Anyhow, I'm not pissing and moaning about it. If the Wii version has decent control, I'll pick it up. Otherwise, I'll go with the GC version. Either way, I'm happy to have a new Zelda title.

I like the Wii-mote and all, but I'm going with the GCN version. I'll probably pick-up the Wii version a year later, or whenever it's cheap.

Depending on what game comes with the better pre-order stuff, I'll end up getting that version and buying the other when it is cheap (unless I end up hating the game).

The Wii version of TP not having Gamecube controller support is not necessarily indicative of the entire system and all its future games.

It could just mean that they reworked some of the puzzles around the controller and the gamecube controller just isnt suitable for this version of the game.

Remember Mr Sakurai said at E3 that we may not want to throw out our gamecube controllers just yet.

I wonder about the "new" VC games. What could these be? Small 2D games so that they can be easily delivered? Or maybe new games using the engines of old games, so there will be very little development energy? I mean, Nintendo could release a Super Mario World Plus with new levels using the old engine and it probably wouldn't take them any time at all to crank it out.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']The Wii version of TP not having Gamecube controller support is not necessarily indicative of the entire system and all its future games.

It could just mean that they reworked some of the puzzles around the controller and the gamecube controller just isnt suitable for this version of the game.

Remember Mr Sakurai said at E3 that we may not want to throw out our gamecube controllers just yet.[/quote]

That's true. I just read that the new Dragon Ball Z game for the Wii will support the GC controller. During playtesting, they discovered that playing with the Wii controller could be tiring.

[quote name='lebowsky']That's true. I just read that the new Dragon Ball Z game for the Wii will support the GC controller. During playtesting, they discovered that playing with the Wii controller could be tiring.[/QUOTE]

A hyper fast fighting game is tiring! NO! COULDN'T BE! Take a sensu bean you pansies.

cool on the new VC games

but the Wii-mote only thing for Zelda sucks for now. Unless it handles beautifully with the Wii-mote, I'm pissed about this. On the other hand, I can just buy the GC version...

I'm still getting Zelda for the Wii. It will be really good incentive to learn how to use the Wiimote - plus I need to play the next Zelda in 16x9. I can't wait.

Well that's kind of annoying. I understand the push for the Wii-mote, but some gamers may not enjoy using it for a game like Zelda.

Does anyone know the differences between the Wii and GC versions? Besides the controls?

EDIT. Found it. The Wii has 16 x 9 support. Wow. Not a big difference at all.

I really hope they don't do this to alot of Wii games. I think gamers should have a choice as to whether or not they can use the GC controller or the Wii-mote.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']Well that's kind of annoying. I understand the push for the Wii-mote, but some gamers may not enjoy using it for a game like Zelda.

Does anyone know the differences between the Wii and GC versions? Besides the controls?

I really hope they don't do this to alot of Wii games. I think gamers should have a choice as to whether or not they can use the GC controller or the Wii-mote.[/quote]
If you can choose between using the GC controller and the Wii remote, why exactly did they put all this money into R&D for a new way to play video games, and not compete on the same platform as the 360 and PS3? Games sure as hell better be unique/designed well enough that I'm not sitting on my couch wondering why I can't just push buttons instead of moving the remote.

[quote name='botticus']Games sure as hell better be unique enough that I'm not sitting on my couch wondering why I can't just push buttons instead of moving the remote.[/QUOTE]

Wangmote it up FTW.

C'mon people, you totally know I'm going to do this.

Hitting a home run with your wang? Oh yes.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']Well that's kind of annoying. I understand the push for the Wii-mote, but some gamers may not enjoy using it for a game like Zelda.

I really hope they don't do this to alot of Wii games. I think gamers should have a choice as to whether or not they can use the GC controller or the Wii-mote.[/QUOTE]

I will be getting the Wii version for the 16x9 and innovative controls.

16x9 isn't the only difference between the Wii and GC versions. Eija said he wanted to use WiiConnect24 though he didn't say what he would do. Anyway, I plan to still get the Wii version. I assumed it wouldn't have GC controls from the start.

innovative great, it looks cool, yeah, we know...but seriously, it's pretty bold that they think they can just take away the controller for Zelda. All I'm saying is that it better kick some ass.

The original games for the VC isn't really anything new, as I heard about them having those kind of games in the VC at GDC. It'll be pretty much just like XBLA in theory.

I want the Wii version of Zelda but I'm afraid of the "getting tired" factor ala Dragon Ball Z. They really should have given players a choice because I WANT 16x9 support but I don't always want to use the Wiimote. Some times you want to just chill and not have to swing and stuff.

[quote name='Apossum']cool on the new VC games

but the Wii-mote only thing for Zelda sucks for now. Unless it handles beautifully with the Wii-mote, I'm pissed about this. On the other hand, I can just buy the GC version...[/quote]

Come on guys! This is nintendo we're talking about here. They won't release a title until it's perfect. They've delayed this game a year already, I'm sure the new controls will be polished and amazing. Especially since it's Zelda. The only reason they're releasing it on the GC at all is because they promised to.

Bottom line, if you're buying a Wii, buy the Wii version. I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

I'm getting it on Wii. Like it was said before, it'll make for a good 'practice app' and I like to know I can use 16x9 (even though I don't have a compatible TV) and whatever else comes with it.

Wii version. Because when I buy the Wii, I expect to play games with the Wii-mote. Hur.

I'm surprised at all the people saying they want the GC version. I don't get it.

[quote name='Z-Saber']I'm surprised at all the people saying they want the GC version. I don't get it.[/QUOTE]

Some folks however would like to be able to sit back and play with a controller instead of the Wii mote. Makes sense to me.

Using the wiimote may add to the difficulty, just due to not being as skilled with the wiimote, which is much needed for zelda. WW was pathetically easy.

[quote name='daschrier']WW was pathetically easy.[/QUOTE]
That was due to the lack of challenging puzzles and dungeons. Making a game artificially difficult by limiting the player with poor play controls is a very bad idea.

Nintendo must be very confident that the Wii control lives up to the standard set by the N64 and GC titles. I hope so, because I love the control scheme they came up with for those titles.

Dude, was like everyone asleep during Nintendos E3 press confrence or something? They dedicated a large section of it to demonstrating how Zelda plays using the Wii controller. In the Wii version of Zelda, you will NOT be swinging the Wiimote to use the sword and it is done with a press of the B button, just like previous games. Similary you use the anlogue for moving around, D-Pad for items, Z for targeting etc... nothing unusual there.

The Wiimote is primarily used for aiming (e.g. hookshot, boomerang, fishing etc...), it can also be used in the item menus for selecting stuff, you can throw crates/bombs etc... by picking them up with 'A' and throw then them with the Wiimote. Finally you can activate your special attacks via wrist movements, so a jab forward to do a shield shove, quick rotation to do a spin attack, stabbing motion to do a down thrust attack and so on.

Do yourself a favour and rewatch the press confrence, the Wii version will be just fine control wise.

=)

[quote name='animefanakito']Z for targeting etc... [/QUOTE]
I could've swore I saw the guy who played during the big press conference using the wiimote to aim arrows--that is, I don't recall the flashy dotted yellow circle that usually comes from hitting Z. It seemed like he missed a lot. I'll have to review it.

[quote name='Z-Saber']Wii version. Because when I buy the Wii, I expect to play games with the Wii-mote. Hur.

I'm surprised at all the people saying they want the GC version. I don't get it.[/quote]
I'd rather have the GC versions since that's the system the game was designed for along with the fact that I probably won't be getting a Wii at launch since I'm saving my money for other things. I'll get Zelda for the Wii when it's originally developed for the system to take advantage of what it can do besides a port with a few bells and whistles that the Wii can offer. Since you can play both on the Wii, I don't see why people can have a problem with which version people choose to play on their new system. I just hope that ports like this are few and far between.

[quote name='Michaellvortega']I want the Wii version of Zelda but I'm afraid of the "getting tired" factor ala Dragon Ball Z. They really should have given players a choice because I WANT 16x9 support but I don't always want to use the Wiimote. Some times you want to just chill and not have to swing and stuff.[/quote]
You don't swing the controller to use the sword, just press a button. I believe you only motion shooting an arrow and fishing, while the rest handles like a normal Zelda, only more awkward at first.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I'd rather have the GC versions since that's the system the game was designed for along with the fact that I probably won't be getting a Wii at launch since I'm saving my money for other things. I'll get Zelda for the Wii when it's originally developed for the system to take advantage of what it can do besides a port with a few bells and whistles that the Wii can offer. Since you can play both on the Wii, I don't see why people can have a problem with which version people choose to play on their new system. I just hope that ports like this are few and far between.

You don't swing the controller to use the sword, just press a button. I believe you only motion shooting an arrow and fishing, while the rest handles like a normal Zelda, only more awkward at first.[/QUOTE]

I never said anything about swinging a sword. Your still supporting the Wiimote in one hand(unbalanced) like a TV remote the whole time you are playing. Unlike the GC controls where it is supported by both hands(balanced). That is where I see a possible problem. Only time will tell.

[quote name='Michaellvortega']I never said anything about swinging a sword. Your still supporting the Wiimote in one hand(unbalanced) like a TV remote the whole time you are playing. Unlike the GC controls where it is supported by both hands(balanced). That is where I see a possible problem. Only time will tell.[/quote]
[quote name='Michaellvortega']Some times you want to just chill and not have to swing and stuff.[/quote]

You use both hands to play (Remote and Nunchuck), so your unbalanced argument falls flat. Besides the initial awkwardness of having your controller being split into two parts, it's fine with both hands.

I love, absolutely love, that after the Wii comes out the number 1 complaint by overweight, out of shape gamers is going to be how tired they are playing the Wii.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I just hope that ports like this are few and far between.[/quote]Umm... what other games are coming out for the Gamecube that could be ported over to the Wii? Super Paper Mario? Baten Kaitos: Origins?

Anyway, my original comment about all of the people wanting the Gamecube version was mainly toward those who plan to buy the Wii, not people who only have a Gamecube. If you buy the Wii, you're likely doing so because of the price or the innovative controls. So then who would complain about having to use those controls after buying the system and instead wish to use an old controller?

I still think they should have given you a choice. When I play a LOZ game I'm usually in the zone for 4+ hours, dual wielding for that long sounds like my wrist will be hurting. But like I said before Only time will tell. I hope I'm wrong otherwise I will have to make a wrist stand out of my virtual boys stand.

[quote name='Demolition Man']Some folks however would like to be able to sit back and play with a controller instead of the Wii mote. Makes sense to me.[/QUOTE]

What I think about this is that if this is case, Wii just isn't for you. If you're not even willing to flick your wrist around to play the game, then obviously Wii is not for you. But if you can type on a keyboard for hous, use a mouse for hours, drive a car for hours, write with a pencil for hours, use the DS with stylus for hours, then I don't think it's going to be a big deal to aim faster by moving your wrist in Zelda TP for Wii.

[quote name='Doom Gaze']What I think about this is that if this is case, Wii just isn't for you. If you're not even willing to flick your wrist around to play the game, then obviously Wii is not for you. But if you can type on a keyboard for hous, use a mouse for hours, drive a car for hours, write with a pencil for hours, use the DS with stylus for hours, then I don't think it's going to be a big deal to aim faster by moving your wrist in Zelda TP for Wii.[/QUOTE]

Well let's be fair for a second. The most popular DS game right now is New Super Mario Brothers which is about as standard as a game can get with minimal touch screen usage.

[quote name='furyk']Well let's be fair for a second. The most popular DS game right now is New Super Mario Brothers which is about as standard as a game can get with minimal touch screen usage.[/QUOTE]
So what? I don't really think that's because of the LACK of stylus use, but because of the title itself. The other best-selling titles are Brain Age, Nintendogs, and Animal Crossing--all of which use the stylus fairly extensively (well, you can play AC without it, but it sure helps in some parts).

I have to agree with the poster above. I imagine Nintendo has tested the Wiimote quite a bit and that it doesn't exactly physically wear you out the way some people seem to fear. I think people are still being mislead by the ad Nintendo originally released, which I don't think is how game players will look at all when actually playing. The E3 videos I saw mostly (after a bit of hands on) had people in the same relaxed position they were playing the PS3 and 360 in. I could be wrong, but I just don't see too much physical energy required. Nothing akin to DDR or Guitar Hero.

Might I suggest that maybe just because the GC controller can't be used on the Wii version doesn't mean that there won't be an option to turn off motion controls using the wiimote and chuck. I.e., there may be a mode that uses the wii controller, but with buttons only instead of motion.

[quote name='furyk']I love, absolutely love, that after the Wii comes out the number 1 complaint by overweight, out of shape gamers is going to be how tired they are playing the Wii.[/quote]

Jesus, tell me about it. Do you people also get tired when you stand up and sit down?

[quote name='BKPartisan']Might I suggest that maybe just because the GC controller can't be used on the Wii version doesn't mean that there won't be an option to turn off motion controls using the wiimote and chuck. I.e., there may be a mode that uses the wii controller, but with buttons only instead of motion.

Jesus, tell me about it. Do you people also get tired when you stand up and sit down?[/quote]
A third control scheme with only one analog stick, a D-pad and a few buttons? Now that would be impressive. But incredibly clunky. So I doubt it.

It's nice to hear they're going with the new control scheme. Zelda: TP is going to be a killer launch app. I think Nintendo is very smart this time around launching with it and Metroid Prime 3. I know I'm dissapointed with no Mario Galaxy or Smarh Bros, but both of those are supposed to be coming in less than six months after lauunch. That's better than Nintendo has ever launched with. Apparently they're finally getting it right.

You're probably right. I forgot about the single analog part.

[quote name='botticus']A third control scheme with only one analog stick, a D-pad and a few buttons? Now that would be impressive. But incredibly clunky. So I doubt it.[/quote]

I think what Nintendo needs to do is grow some balls and tell everyone to piss the hell off when they are playing the Wii version, by taking a page from the old FPS games of yore, such as Duke Nukem 3D, Wolfenstein, and Rise of the Triad. In these games, you chose your difficulty based on normally-demoralizing messages that indicated just how hard you wanted the game.

So if you were a total badass, you chose "They call me the cleaner" or "BRING 'EM ON." If you were a total pussy, you chose "Mommy I'm scared!" or "I can only play with the lights on!"

Before you start the game, you'll go to a screen, and it will ask you what interface mode you want to be.

If you chose normal controls, it says "Help I'm Jigglypuff's fat cousin." If you chose a hybrid of sorts (maybe you just cut out sword motion, opting only for buttons for attacks), you chose "I'm only 50% pussy." If you choose the full motion one, it's "I am Zatoichi.....bitches."

That'd show'em. Who the fuck doesn't want to be Zatoichi?

Apparently pussies and jigglypuff cousins....bitches.

In fact, Reggie's digitized head should float on the screen when you are chosing your interface, and hopelessly remind you that he could slap you with his dick at any second if he really wanted, because he knows where you sleep, bitch.

I really hope they don't do this to alot of Wii games. I think gamers should have a choice as to whether or not they can use the GC controller or the Wii-mote.[/QUOTE]

16 X 9 FTW

bread's done
Back