Nintendo DS free online service and Square-Enix MMORPG?

fifthcore

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
Check this out:
http://www.gamersmark.com/news/2004/09/1/4463/

"Well, there are some aspects about the DS/Revolution Online Network that we can’t really discuss yet.". "It includes a collaboration with the Warp Pipe Industries, and even Panasonic’s Online center, Purog.". "As the first free online service, we really want to keep the story tight lipped.". Concerning clarification I was met with the following statement: "And with the Square Enix announcements in October 7th, I think many will get a clear picture.". "We can’t disclose several items, but there’s an MMORPG planned, which is really being developed by Brownie Brown, subsidiary of Square Enix.".

If there is a compelling free wireless/online service for the DS, and if the Square Enix announcement is as important as they make it sound, I may be going and placing a preorder for the DS sooner than I thought.

If I remember correctly, Nintendo did say that the DS would be able to use existing wireless hotspots to go online, and that there wouldn't be a fee involved. I'm looking forward to the big Nintendo announcement next week - I want to know what launch games I can expect.

This would excite me, if I even remotely thought that a hotspot would be near me, but I know we got nothing round here.

That story is a hoax. Check out their retraction.

http://www.gamersmark.com/news/2004/09/1/4466/

We at the Gamer’s Mark Network have made a dire mistake. We have rashly jumped to conclusions and thus, were the subject of a crude joke created by GCA’s Miguel Yanez and Xbox/Nintendo Evolved’s Lee Harris. They apparently thought it was funny to see who would post their bogus information, but they never thought about how it could damage one’s credibility. Once again, we at Gamer’s Mark Network deeply appologize for our rash decision, if you wish for the true story, go to http://www.n-sider.com for the real story.

Has nintendo announced whether or not you would be able to browse the internet with the ds or would you only be allowed to connect just for gaming purposes?

[quote name='Squirms']This would excite me, if I even remotely thought that a hotspot would be near me, but I know we got nothing round here.[/quote]

It's just a matter of time. Many large companies like Intel see a advantage for their future business in extensive free hotspots and are using various incentives to encourage more business to run open access sites. It may take a while to filter down to smaller towns but such is life outside the big city. One of the tradeoffs it that some tech trends tke longer to manifest.

http://www.wififreespot.com/

Right now the DS sounds so much better then the PSP (I myself own a PS2) that I may end up getting one. 150$ less, an MMORPG, Animal Crossing, and better battery life sounds good enough for me, so.... I may end up getting it over the PSP yay :)

[quote name='dcfox']Has nintendo announced whether or not you would be able to browse the internet with the ds or would you only be allowed to connect just for gaming purposes?[/quote]

Not for free. Allowing even simple web browsing and email access would greatly multiply their traffic load and drive up costs. I could see it as a subscription upgrade but there are already a legion of phones and PDAs providing such capability already. I don't think Nintendo would want to go beyond the gaming aspect unless there was real promise for net revenues.

[quote name='Squirms']This would excite me, if I even remotely thought that a hotspot would be near me, but I know we got nothing round here.[/quote]

Same here, but this is why I go to college. :)

But what if there is no hotspots? Does that mean that people buy the game and can't play it because there is no wi-fi?

This kind of kills that...

» Two More Nintendo Conferences to Go
Published on 09/30/2004 by Kenny
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
While there was talk about a conference to be held by Nintendo on October 7 to unveil more regarding the DS, IGN is now reporting that Nintendo does not have plans for simply one, or even two, but three meetings with the media to talk about its future. The first conference is an opportunity for the Press to try out a few DS video games, while the next two meetings, which will take place October 13 and 14, will focus on the details of Nintendo's current software and hardware strategy, with a particular showcase on the company's planned holiday line-up.

In addition to the Nintendo DS, anticipated titles such as Mario Party 6, Donkey Kong Jungle Beat, and Yoshi's Universal Gravitation along with a number of currently unspecified games will be on-hand for press and retailers.

Source: IGNCube

[quote name='David85'][quote name='Squirms']This would excite me, if I even remotely thought that a hotspot would be near me, but I know we got nothing round here.[/quote]

Same here, but this is why I go to college. :)

But what if there is no hotspots? Does that mean that people buy the game and can't play it because there is no wi-fi?[/quote]

Increasingly unlikely. All it takes to make your own hotspot is a $50 access point. Chances are, if you're in close proximity to any college campus there are hotspots already in plenitude. Just ask any of the laptop users you see around.

This isn't any different from determining whether you can get broadband service before starting an Xbox Live subscription. You just have to ask around a bit before making the choice to purchase.

bread's done
Back