Nintendo DS Lite - $99 at Wal-Mart

Fernando Rocker

CAGiversary!
I don't know if this is an official price, a price drop, or something that is only going on at Walmart. No matter what, some of you might want to take advantage of this while you can.

Via GoNintendo.

thumb_IMG00131.jpg

Maybe the price cut rumors are true...

If thats true I might jump on it but I dunno... Thanks for the post either way though

*Edit* just called a store in my area and they are at the regular price there. If somebody finds a store in the Michigan Area with a price drop let me know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sweet price. Just bought one off amazon used last month for like 84, luckily it looks perfect and you couldn't tell. For 100 brand new without worrying about free shipping or making sure some random coupon code works on a web shop, that's nice.

I just came back from local Wal-Mart at Laredo, Tx... they do have the DS Lite at $99... I just hope that the DSi gets a price cut too.

$150 for a DSi would be awesome.

[quote name='Fernando Rocker']I just came back from local Wal-Mart at Laredo, Tx... they do have the DS Lite at $99... I just hope that the DSi gets a price cut too.

$150 for a DSi would be awesome.[/QUOTE]
Probably not, as it is the newest iteration of the system. Would be nice, but I'd prefer to get a lite to replace my phat if I were in the market to buy a new DS this year.

[quote name='robbyH']There is not legit reason for the DSlite to be $129. $99 is more than fair.[/QUOTE]

of course it's not legit, but people are still buying them at that price...i'm sure it'll drop sooner than later...but trust me, just like the Wii, they're in no rush

Target had them for $100 for a while a few weeks ago. Not sure if this all means something...

Wow, I didn't even know they were only $129. Thats cheap. At 99, even better.

They have all those Dragon Quest and Pokemon games, so I want one.

Is it possible it would ring up for $100 even if it's still listed at $130?

I'm still looking for one for a friend.

Hmm... I may need to call around to see if my local Wal-Marts are doing this... I want to retire my old DS, an am not convinced in the DSi yet.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Is it possible it would ring up for $100 even if it's still listed at $130?[/QUOTE]

Yes. Months ago, some Wal-Marts had PSN cards on sale ($50 cards for $40). Some CAGs reported that while the display still showed $50, that they would ring up as $40. ...Of course, that's just the Wal-Marts that took part in that sale, as many didn't.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Is it possible it would ring up for $100 even if it's still listed at $130?

I'm still looking for one for a friend.[/QUOTE]

I was wondering that myself, it just depends on how much time of the cashiers you are willing to waste to find out.

Hopefully $99 becomes the MSRP for the DS Light systems. Until then keep these sightings coming. Thanks for pointing this out Fernando Rocker =)

It's sort of hilarious how much Nintendo charges for their hardware. I mean a Gamecube in 2009 for $250, and a system with a slow ARM 9 (not even the also outdated ARM 11) for $170/130 is insane...

EXCEPT of course it's a moot point if they play games you want to play :)

[quote name='Sniper1']Scanned one in MI, Roseville area. Still 129.99[/QUOTE]

Thanks! At least we know it's not universal, whatever the heck is going on.

[quote name='bob330i']I'd guess with the economy, the recent console drops and the DSi gaining steam, the Lites will probably hit

Isn't it true that if a Wal-Mart price ends in .00 it's probably a store clearance item? The only time I see .00 at my Wal-Marts is if it's been marked for clearance, which is a store-by-store, manager-by-manager decision. These are usually printed on red stickers although obviously there is no reason why they have to be.

Hmm, I'll have to stop by my local Walmarts to check this out.

A DS Lite for $100 would be a total impulse buy for me if I saw it. I've been wanting a cheap brand new one for awhile now.

As long as it isn't that hideous pink one. I refuse to buy one of those, I don't care how little it costs.

Some people on another forum are claiming Nintendo HAS said there may be DSi exclusive games (in a white box). I did find a single game that's getting released in Japan like that. So that MAY be an issue people want to consider. The DSi is an extra $45 from Dell (plus the extra tax), but *MIGHT* have some more longevity.

In a way, if they were going to do that, I wish they had bumped the specs up more significantly. I mean there is a fairly large gap I guess, but they could have made it a last-gen system like the PSP, if they were going to make it incompatible at all, if that makes sense.

The only way a game would be DSi exclusive is if it required WiiWare or some super internet connectivity, or involved a camera.

I think most DS Lite owners have little to worry about.

I should have checked when I went to Walmart earlier today. If this is true im in for one. Got a $50 Gift Card that would definitely cushion the cost.

I guess Nintendo does have the advantage this gen: $199 next gen console in the Wii, a kickass handheld w/gba comp for $99 and a do everything hand held for $170.

A price cut all around would be awesome, then we might see a nice bundle at fry's or amazon or some such or a good deal at dell.com

[quote name='Lord Alfred']Isn't it true that if a Wal-Mart price ends in .00 it's probably a store clearance item? The only time I see .00 at my Wal-Marts is if it's been marked for clearance, which is a store-by-store, manager-by-manager decision. These are usually printed on red stickers although obviously there is no reason why they have to be.[/QUOTE]

Nope.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Some people on another forum are claiming Nintendo HAS said there may be DSi exclusive games (in a white box). I did find a single game that's getting released in Japan like that. So that MAY be an issue people want to consider. The DSi is an extra $45 from Dell (plus the extra tax), but *MIGHT* have some more longevity.

In a way, if they were going to do that, I wish they had bumped the specs up more significantly. I mean there is a fairly large gap I guess, but they could have made it a last-gen system like the PSP, if they were going to make it incompatible at all, if that makes sense.[/QUOTE]
I heard about the exclusive DSi games in white cases deal from a few different places a couple of weeks ago. I forgot what the first game was supposed to be in Japan, but I believe it is supposed to be out later this year or really early 2010.

[quote name='oni-link']I guess Nintendo does have the advantage this gen: $199 next gen console in the Wii, a kickass handheld w/gba comp for $99 and a do everything hand held for $170.[/QUOTE]

The DSi isn't "do everything"...I mean it's a portable game system, which is what I want, but... And they haven't even released a current gen system yet. They might never even make one, just skipping this generation or something. :whistle2:/

[quote name='Traitorious']I heard about the exclusive DSi games in white cases deal from a few different places a couple of weeks ago. I forgot what the first game was supposed to be in Japan, but I believe it is supposed to be out later this year or really early 2010.[/QUOTE]

Thanks! Yeah, I think changing my advice to them to maybe go for a DSi makes sense in that case. Until yesterday I thought there were no plans at all.

This keeps getting compared to the Gameboy Color-and that would be a PERFECT comparison (umm...aside from it not being a switch from passive matrix 4 color to active matrix color), except the Gameboy Color launched with a decent number of dual games, and...hmm...not sure when the first exclusive GBC games came out, but I know I own a decent number.

The GBC wasn't bad hardware for the time, considering no one else was doing anything, and it actually had something like 8x the RAM, if I'm remembering right.

At least one game that shipped dual boot (Megaman Xtreme) actually barely ran on original Gameboy hardware. It looked and ran and played well on the GBC, but was clearly struggling to do anything on the old system.

bread's done
Back