Nintendo DS or Sony PSP?

My whole take on it is this. I have Sony consoles b/c of SquareEnix. I'm not a Square fanboy, but I like good RPG's (though if they keep up at this rate (FFX and X-2) I'm going to have to find another RPG company). I'll take a Nintendo product any day (Virtual Boy notwithstanding). They simply have more passion in the games, and you can tell when you play them. Plus, $150 compared to $250. That is a huge factor as well. Basicly, Sony is trying to get into a market that Nintendo has a stranglehold on. While they were able to win in the console market, I doubt they'll win on the handheld.

DS. It's something different and new. A portable Wipeout? Ape Escape? Nothing against these games - I enjoyed both PS1 and PS2 versions, but do I have a burning desire to these on the road with me? I can't say that I do. Also, according to Gamespot, the Metal Gear Acid is some kind of card/turn-based strategy thing (at least at this point). That doesn't make it a bad game (how can I judge, I haven't played any of these titles), but it does make you wonder.

Really, the decision won't be THAT hard to make - the DS is coming out near Christmas and the PSP follows several months later - it's not as though you will walk into Circuit City or Best Buy the day after Thanksgiving and have to choose between the two. There will be plenty of time between the launches to make a better-informed decision.

I kind of agree - I don't need to be playing console games on the road. I want something that's new and different. One of my favorite portable games in the last 5 years is WarioWare, mostly because its a game I can pick up and play for any period of time and have fun with it no matter what. I don't need the most immersive experience, just something that's pick-up-and-go. The PSP seems to be going the route of the PlayStation and PS2, looking to provide a lot of highly immersive graphical masterpieces. Which is great and all, but I think that should be saved for the consoles - something different is needed for the new handheld.

[quote name='pukemon']Hmmm a pixle perfect conversion of ps2's grand turismo 4

or

a low res version of mario 64 and metriod.

pixel perfect my ass. and i doubt 1.8 gigs is enough to do gt4 justice. i'm kinda undecided right now, but nintendo really surprised me with all aspects of the ds and sony's psp is still pretty impressive even with the cons i.e. battery life and price. realistically, i see myself with a ps3 and n5 next generation. even more realistically, i see the psp replacing ps3 and just owning nintendo's next console and a psp. i love the gamecube, i really like the ps2's variety and a few exclusives and rpg's do keep me in sony game. but the psp seems like it will pick up my sony fix, and you never can get enough nintendo.[/quote]

UH 1. your wrong 1.8 gigs is slightly larger than gt3.
2. The gcn discs are 1.5 and your obviously fine with that.
3. With 30 megs of ram onboard you can bet they can use tighter compression to keep the resolutions of textures high. Even though the screen is so tiny.

Ps3??? Sony says they want to keep the ps2 around till 2010 or later.

[quote name='BULL_Ship'][quote name='pukemon']Hmmm a pixle perfect conversion of ps2's grand turismo 4

or

a low res version of mario 64 and metriod.

pixel perfect my ass. and i doubt 1.8 gigs is enough to do gt4 justice. i'm kinda undecided right now, but nintendo really surprised me with all aspects of the ds and sony's psp is still pretty impressive even with the cons i.e. battery life and price. realistically, i see myself with a ps3 and n5 next generation. even more realistically, i see the psp replacing ps3 and just owning nintendo's next console and a psp. i love the gamecube, i really like the ps2's variety and a few exclusives and rpg's do keep me in sony game. but the psp seems like it will pick up my sony fix, and you never can get enough nintendo.[/quote]

UH 1. your wrong 1.8 gigs is slightly larger than gt3.
2. The gcn discs are 1.5 and your obviously fine with that.
3. With 30 megs of ram onboard you can bet they can use tighter compression to keep the resolutions of textures high. Even though the screen is so tiny.

Ps3??? Sony says they want to keep the ps2 around till 2010 or later.[/quote]

Yes, but the general consensus interpretation of that statement is that they will keep manufacturing it and supporting it til 2010, just as they continue to support the PSone today, but that is in addition to a new console that they'll release around, say, 2006, the current estimate.

Much like most people here, I too am pleasantly surprised at how interesting the DS seems and how it will allow for new types of gameplay. The thing about the PSP is that its list of games seems too similar to the PS2's list: Gran Turismo 4, Tony Hawk's Underground 2, Need for Speed something, NFL Street, NBA Street, Dynasty Warriors, etc. I think the problem stems from the fact that the PSP and the PS2 are too similar. With the GBA, it was all about 2-D games, something the consoles didn't focus on. With the PSP, it's all about 3-D, just like the PS2. If there is indeed a pixel-perfect PSP version of GT4, is that really so great? I'm not interested in playing the exact same game on the PSP that I could play at home. And do you really care about graphics that much?

The DS looks good, and Im far more impressed with it then the PSP. I dont know if Im going to get either, but right now the chances of me getting the DS is greater then the chances of me getting the PSP.

Who care about PSP right!

In my mind i think DS is more more FUN & Entertaintment compare to PSP handle. Beside PS3 coming in 2006 and it backward compatable with all PS2 games why should we need PSP for ??

Nintendo get my Business for sure :)

Ugh, how many times do I have to correct people with PSP battery life...?

2.5 hours for movies
6.5 hours for gaming
10 hours for music

And these are the times per charge, all stated by Sony...$50 says that these numbers are overestimates as well, except maybe movies. Screw the buy-UMD-media-to-watch-movies-and-listen-to-music thing that Sony has going. These features are void for me, and the games for PSP are going to be all too similar to console games, which I leave done by consoles, as they do it much better. Meanwhile, DS offers me some potentially new gaming experiences, and even features such as wireless messaging.

So, just keeping these things in mind, I don't see this being a hard choice.

Also wouldnt it be awesome to play a new age FPS or a GTA on PSP or DS? Im oky with playing games that are exactaly the same on portable and console.

I think the Nintendo DS falls into the same category as cell phones that take pictures. Nobody asked for it, yet some company is dumb enough to make it and pretend it's cool. Anyone want to white-wash some fences?

You should check out the developers' quotes over at nintendo.com. Here's the funniest:

DS is deceptively amazing. … Touch screen is a very blank canvas for a game designer to be able to design their own input features. … DS really could be a killer to PSP. … I really think the Nintendo DS could kick the crap out of Sony PSP.”
– Kevin Ray, chief technology officer, Majesco

NINTENDO FANBOY'D

Actually, a lot of my friends have fun using the camera features on their cell phones, and it makes for good times, so your analogy is void. You sir, are probably not over 18.

I hope Nintendo sticks an analog stick on the DS somewhere. besides for that its DS all the way.

the PSP is trying to be a Game Gear type system and beat Nintendo with better quality graphics, but it just will not happen

Frankly you could go with either one and not make a bad choice, Sony seems to have one of every big PS2 title for the PSP in the works, and if they;re cheaper than the home console games watch out! It's practically a portable PS2 but with more functions and possibly better graphics. it's almost a must have purchase for any gamer witht he money to buy it. "Holy crap! A portable PS2? possible GTA on the go?! MINE!" is what I expect to hear from most people but only half of them will buy it at launch.

The DS has fan loyalty and a possible lower price point (200 easy for the PSP and probably 150 for the DS in my opinion) they have an innovation in the touch screen and its a much better use of technology than the Virtual Boy. The extra features are kinda superfluous but they're more intersting once you see them first hand. The DS will make a lot of sales from seeing other people using it. "woah, what's that?! hey this is kinda cool... and it can do a lot of things too! I gotta get this!" is what you'll hear... but probably from younger consumers.

I think that both look good, but PSP will be kind of expensive. DS has innovative new features, while the PSP doesn't offer anything new.

Both:

The DS when it comes out. I'll trade in the SP and hopefully get a good trade in deal. I like the games that are coming out for it.

The PSP when the price drops. I won't have enough time to play it but I can afford it at a reasonable price. Maybe at around $150. It will take a while for it to get down that far. But I'm a patient person, so not sweat.

Now both companies are saying their expecting a loss on both systems. All i know is im not deciding until i see more details plus maybe a few user reviews.

I'm going to have to go with the PSP. I love my SP to death, but the PSP looks so hot, I think i'm going to have to ditch nintendo on this one.

DS for me, though like some I will wait for a price drop. I am content with my SP. The new games do look awesome but I rarely have time to play games. Back in high school it was not a problem, especially since I had to ride the bus and metro rail to and from school.

The only time I play my SP is when I am waiting to get a haircut at the barbershop, and ususally it's just FFTA. I'll just wait till a price drop, and if I finally get to all these games that need playing. If only my wife would learn to drive, then I could play it on road trips!

bread's done
Back