NINTENDO DS PLAYTEST!

wow. i never thought of the touch screen/stylus acting like a mouse. they really did think this through...

i don't see this being as easy to use as it sounds... it seems like it will make games point and click and having to switch from stylus to d-pad mid game and keep in the action? doesn't sound very fun, but i'll be getting one just because it is backward compatible so there is no reason not to

[quote name='xzafixz']i don't see this being as easy to use as it sounds... it seems like it will make games point and click and having to switch from stylus to d-pad mid game and keep in the action? doesn't sound very fun, but i'll be getting one just because it is backward compatible so there is no reason not to[/quote]

If you're not interested in the new functions, and you have a gba or sp already... isn't $150 reason enough not to buy a DS? :p

wow after reading that review i can say im definetly interested. some games are already making good use of the touch/dual screen. although i still think it looks kinda ugly, big.....eh, maybe it'll grow on me.

[quote name='Cornfedwb'][quote name='xzafixz']i don't see this being as easy to use as it sounds... it seems like it will make games point and click and having to switch from stylus to d-pad mid game and keep in the action? doesn't sound very fun, but i'll be getting one just because it is backward compatible so there is no reason not to[/quote]

If you're not interested in the new functions, and you have a gba or sp already... isn't $150 reason enough not to buy a DS? :p[/quote]

Why get the DS when the DS SP/Light/Pocket/Color will be out the year after?

Did anyone see any information about how large the screens are? The Gamespot article described them as being about the size of GBA screens, but from the picture, I make them to be a little larger. Also, what kind of sound is there on it? The top half looks like there might be room for two speakers, stereo sound?

Might just be me.. but the DS sounds like a gimmik that just isn't going to take off. Basically another Virtual Boy or Power Glove or Neo-Geo etc etc etc.

I'll wait to pass judgement until I actually can get my hands on one.. but right now this excites me about as much as a wet noodle.

the difference is its got Metroid and Mario right off the bat. and a good, well known mario, possibly with online multiplayer.

man, that sentence would have made so little sense yesterday...

I'm really, really excited for Metroid: Hunted (thats what Nintendo's website called the DS game). However, I don't think I quite like/get the "shooting by tapping the stylus" thing. Just doesn't sound intuitive - you're effectively blocking part of the screen every time you shoot.
I'm going to hold off until the super deluxe ds comes out, or at least try to. i'm already really excited about this.

[quote name='alongx']I'm really, really excited for Metroid: Hunted (thats what Nintendo's website called the DS game). However, I don't think I quite like/get the "shooting by tapping the stylus" thing. Just doesn't sound intuitive - you're effectively blocking part of the screen every time you shoot.
I'm going to hold off until the super deluxe ds comes out, or at least try to. i'm already really excited about this.[/quote]

I think you'll be using the stylus on the bottom screen to move, and then the action will be on the top screen. That should make it possible to see what's going on. It still might be difficult to see with your hand in the way though.

My problem (or question really) is, how is someone going to play an action game on this using a stylus? When playing a Game Boy, you're holding it with both hands and so you can have your thumbs free to press the D-pad and buttons. But if your using a stylus, you have to be holding it with only one hand. I don't think this would make it very easy to use the face buttons. Are you supposed to play with the DS sitting on a table or something? That seems awkward.

[quote name='_heretic']I think you'll be using the stylus on the bottom screen to move, and then the action will be on the top screen. That should make it possible to see what's going on. It still might be difficult to see with your hand in the way though.[/quote]

Check Nintendo.com. All of the screenshots show that a map will be on the upper screen and the action will be on the touch screen.

So what about us southpaws?

I know they say you can use the buttons on the right instead of the d-pad. But still, I think it would feel wierd controlling your character with your right hand. That and, Pressing buttons just doesn't feel the same as pressing a d-pad.

/stupid crap only a lefty would think of

[quote name='alongx'][quote name='_heretic']I think you'll be using the stylus on the bottom screen to move, and then the action will be on the top screen. That should make it possible to see what's going on. It still might be difficult to see with your hand in the way though.[/quote]

Check Nintendo.com. All of the screenshots show that a map will be on the upper screen and the action will be on the touch screen.[/quote]

You're right, it does look that way from the screenshots. But I'm kind of hoping that the screenshots are just organized that way. It seems strange to put the top screenshot on the bottom, but it just doesn't seem right to use the bottom screen for the main screen and the top one for the map.

Here's the link to nintendo.com's DS software page, with screens from Metroid Hunter.
http://www.nintendo.com/e3_2004/ds/ds_software.jsp
Server's kind of loaded, so may not work the first time.

[quote name='Naughty_Insomniac']So what about us southpaws?

I know they say you can use the buttons on the right instead of the d-pad. But still, I think it would feel wierd controlling your character with your right hand. That and, Pressing buttons just doesn't feel the same as pressing a d-pad.

/stupid crap only a lefty would think of[/quote]

I agree. It is going to suck using buttons instead of a D- pad

edit is for not understanding what was said

[quote name='Naughty_Insomniac']So what about us southpaws?

/stupid crap only a lefty would think of[/quote]

I was thinking about that when they described the stylus control scheme. However, there really isn't any way around this if they want to use the stylus control. If you want to use the stylus with your left hand, you're going to have to use your right to move. Guess some people are just going to have to adapt.

If it is 100% backward compatible with all other GB games then eventually the DS will replace the GBA and GBA SP.

[quote name='xzafixz']i don't see this being as easy to use as it sounds... it seems like it will make games point and click and having to switch from stylus to d-pad mid game and keep in the action? doesn't sound very fun, but i'll be getting one just because it is backward compatible so there is no reason not to[/quote]

It would probably be more easy and fun if humans had three arms.

[quote name='Cornfedwb'][quote name='xzafixz']i don't see this being as easy to use as it sounds... it seems like it will make games point and click and having to switch from stylus to d-pad mid game and keep in the action? doesn't sound very fun, but i'll be getting one just because it is backward compatible so there is no reason not to[/quote]

If you're not interested in the new functions, and you have a gba or sp already... isn't $150 reason enough not to buy a DS? :p[/quote]

everywhere is taking preorders for 199. im not much of a portable gamer so ill just wait til the flood the market with them and drop the price in half.

I got to try it at E3, I thought the control was going to be a problem at first but I got used to it pretty fast, it's basicaly the same as using mouselook controls most any FPS. All of your abilities on right there on the screen and you just tap to switch to missles and ball mode or hold the stylus on the screen for the charge blast. Graphically it was like a PSone but with MUCH better texture mapping.

The size of the machine is pretty much the same as that of a GBA just wider to accomodate the buttons and dpad as well as the stereo speakers. It's also backlit which means clearer visiuals and no washed out color. Unfortunatly it didnt have a slot for the stylus. :p

At first I was pretty iffy on it when I first heard about it but it actyally comes across as a pretty strong replacement for the standard GBASP. I still feel like the extra screen is a little pointless but it DOES come in handy.

GBASP is to DS what the GBcolor was to the GBA.

bread's done
Back