Nintendo DS radio show

Womp

CAGiversary!
Hey guys, just thought I would point my fellow CAG DS fans towards a DS oriented internet radio show called DualscreenRadio. My pal Shane of retrogamingradio.com and I just released our 3rd biweekly show which clocks in at 3 hours. We are huge DS fans and I thought you guys may want to check it out. You can find us at dualscreenradio.com

Its not a podcast or anything and we do it for no reason other than for the love of the DS, we are just 2 huge fans of the system frothing to discuss the what its all about. :)

[quote name='Demolition Man']Cheap plug! :rofl:

Just kidding Womp. Up for a MK DS throwdown later tonight?[/QUOTE]

Plug my butt (No pun intended), its an appropriate place in a forum I love. :cool:

Probably no MK DS for me tonight dude, I gotta hit the sack soon...damn work gets in my way. :cry:

Funny I was looking on iTunes today for a DS show. Thanks now I have something to kill 3 hours of my day.

But why not Podcast it?

If you can download it, what is the difference? Slapping it up on iTunes costs nothing and makes it easier to d/l

[quote name='Vegan']Yeah, why not automate it instead of making people remember to keep checking in?[/quote]

You can easily sign up to be notified by email when the new show arrives, its roughly bi-weekly.

Its a simple one email per new show with synopsis, just click the Subscribe link at the top of the page and pop in an email address. People were actually suggesting it to us early on so we complied. :)

Good show overall. I've been listening to retro gaming radio for a few years. However, you gotta do something about Shane's irrational hatred of all things "Pod"

The reason for the hatred is basically he's been doing his show for example since 1998, thats well before "Podcasting" or iPods. But now someone comes out with a talk show on line and suddenly its a buzz word "Podcasting" and the problem with it is that It has NOTHING to do with iPods or iTunes or Apple in general. Its usually an .mp3 file format that anyone can play or listen to on any player or PC in general. Besides what is to stop Jobs from copyrighting and taking the name and your show or having you suddenly PAY for the right to do so?

No thanks.

I own an iPod Nano and I love it and I also own a Creative player, but I do understand where he is coming from. For all the bitching about getting it on iTunes and having automatic feeds, why not just use the method everyone has been using for YEARS now.

Anyway, thanks for the kind words. Its only the 3rd show and it WILL only improve over time. We've gotten a lot of nice email and there is definitely an audience for it. Its the reason I presented Shane with the idea, it was something I had wanted to do after not finding a satisfying DS related "Podcast" on the subject. Thanks for listening. :)

Don't use a wonderfully convenient technology because they don't like the NAME? And you don't have to use itunes, you know. There are plenty of 3rd party podcast grabbers that do nothing but.

I feel that Podcasting is for people who are too lazy to bookmark whatever page is for that net radio show. I'm also afraid that now with Podcasting becoming a more mainstream name that we are going to see a LOT more amature shows that are badly produced with content that is either unintelligent, boring, pointless, stupid, etc etc etc.

I've been listening to RGR since the WAY early days of it being simply "Retro Radio" and it being a weekly look at the emulation scene. Shane has really developed the show into a very mature and well thought out show (along with the late Bryan "KidHype" Smith who is missed very much every day). I already see that Dual Screen Radio is on a path to greatness and trust me... it will only get better with each edition.

Thanks Womp (and Shanesta) for the show.... now only if we can get Shane to join us here on CAG. ;)

[quote name='Womp']The reason for the hatred is basically he's been doing his show for example since 1998, thats well before "Podcasting" or iPods. But now someone comes out with a talk show on line and suddenly its a buzz word "Podcasting" and the problem with it is that It has NOTHING to do with iPods or iTunes or Apple in general. Its usually an .mp3 file format that anyone can play or listen to on any player or PC in general. Besides what is to stop Jobs from copyrighting and taking the name and your show or having you suddenly PAY for the right to do so?

[/QUOTE]

That's kind of how everything ingrained in pop culture comes about. It is "underground", few do it. Someone comes along, makes it easier, brands it and there you go. But to answer your question, I think the term "Podcast" is too big and too general a term to have Jobs or anyone copyright it after the fact. Besides I was using Podcast in the vernacular as a show that auto-updates via a downloader (or iTunes) that I don't have to download manually. Sure one could bookmark it but why reject the convienance when there are better methods.

oh and if you want to get technical, Shane's show also has NOTHING to do with "radio" either.

It's just an internet show.

[quote name='Womp']The reason for the hatred is basically he's been doing his show for example since 1998, thats well before "Podcasting" or iPods. But now someone comes out with a talk show on line and suddenly its a buzz word "Podcasting" and the problem with it is that It has NOTHING to do with iPods or iTunes or Apple in general. Its usually an .mp3 file format that anyone can play or listen to on any player or PC in general. Besides what is to stop Jobs from copyrighting and taking the name and your show or having you suddenly PAY for the right to do so?[/quote] What sets it apart is the syndication. Also, it's now cheaper and easier to have a show not be crappy as far as sound quality goes. Copyright a NAME and make you pay for it? Copyrights don't work that way. Besides, if it wasn't called podcasting, we'd all be listening to audioblogs.

For all the bitching about getting it on iTunes and having automatic feeds, why not just use the method everyone has been using for YEARS now.
Because the new way is actually convenient? If you listen to more than one show, it sucks having to visit the sites everytime you think there might be a new show out. Being an evil podcast is a benefit. If you have a sucky show and a new listener hears it, they're not coming back to your website. However, if it's just a little feed, they may leave it on their reader and try it again later.

Feedburner.com - Get an regular feed and help yourself. Why not be a podcast since, as the previous poster mentioned, you're not really internet radio because you're not streaming.

[quote name='heartlandking']They have a new show up folks.[/quote]

...and how did we find out? On an online message board. Get this thing into a podcast format, please! You will get a much wider audience if you do.

[quote name='lebowsky']...and how did we find out? On an online message board. Get this thing into a podcast format, please! You will get a much wider audience if you do.[/QUOTE] Didn't you hear the hosts views about "podcasts"? well he doesn't like it. It is not a podcast it is a internet radio show. He doesn't like it at all.

[quote name='mkg12']Didn't you hear the hosts views about "podcasts"? well he doesn't like it. It is not a podcast it is a internet radio show. He doesn't like it at all.[/quote]

I honestly don't care if he "likes" podcasts or not. All I am saying is if they officially podcast the show (which is pretty good), they would get a whole lot more listeners.

He rags on iPods as well, but that doesn't stop millions and millions of people from buying them.

[quote name='lebowsky'] All I am saying is if they officially podcast the show (which is pretty good), they would get a whole lot more listeners.[/QUOTE]

FYI, Shane doesn't give a crap about getting more listeners, he explains why in the 8/05 broadcast of retro gaming radio. He would rather have a few "cool" people rather than a whole bunch of "uncool" people listening to his shows. I'm not saying it's a GOOD reason, but he does have his reasons :)

I guess cool and uncool is determined by whether the viewer likes automatic downloads or not? Consider me turned-off.

I think the other problem we have is, we are really putting a butt load of effort into the dualscreenradio.com site as it is and if we put the show on a podcast how many people would honestly go and check into what we have done at the site?

Right now we are trying to create THE ultimate game list and what each game comprises as in single player/wifi/rumble etc among other things.

I myself own a iPod Nano and listen to a few podcasts and I know I NEVER visit the sites they run off of (CAG being an exception). The thing is I understand where my cohost Shane is coming from, but I guess I'm not as hard on the subject.

In the end as I said we have a subscription service, all you have to do pop in an email address and all you will get from us is a nice "Hello, new show available" with a synopsis. Another problem is we are trying to get settled is in terms of server and bandwidth. Episode 3 was our biggest yet and show 4 which we released on Tuesday looks to be even bigger...

Its still early in the show's life and there are still kinks to get out of the system, we are constantly striving to get better. In the end we appreciate the support and thanks again for listening :)

I want to also stress that we do this show on our own time for the love of this system. Every episode is roughly 30 megs a pop and you have to realize that having the show on a server with the kind of traffic and bandwidth that would be involved in Podcasting....I want to ask you guys who think we are rediculous for not going that route. Who is gonna pay for that? I can only imagine what it would cost and we aren't doing this for hand outs. If anyone has any "In" tips on how to do it, I'd love to hear it. Seriously, I'd appreciate the input.

Good and valid points Womp. Much better than "teh podcasters are teh posers!!"

Personally, I do my own little podcast but I totally wuss out an do it the easy way. I do the whole thing in Garageband. From which I can auto-load it to my iWebsite from which I can easily load it onto my .Mac account which costs me $99 a year. But my website sucks and I don't care about that traffic. However, people still ask about my site. Because if you provide good info on the podcast, that will translate to people wanting to check out your site. Plus there are tons of things you can do much better on a website which also validates people wanting to visit it.

I don't fault you for wanting to keep in small and web-centric however.

[quote name='usickenme']Good and valid points Womp. Much better than "teh podcasters are teh posers!!"

Personally, I do my own little podcast but I totally wuss out an do it the easy way. I do the whole thing in Garageband. From which I can auto-load it to my iWebsite from which I can easily load it onto my .Mac account which costs me $99 a year. But my website sucks and I don't care about that traffic. However, people still ask about my site. Because if you provide good info on the podcast, that will translate to people wanting to check out your site. Plus there are tons of things you can do much better on a website which also validates people wanting to visit it.

I don't fault you for wanting to keep in small and web-centric however.[/quote]

Well, I can't say that we are content on a small audience, would we love a bigger audience to listen to us? Hell yeah. Its a DS oriented thing too so its a pretty big pool of people to draw from as well. But as I said, even if we did do the whole podcasting thing its going to cost us some cash to handle the load of people that doing so would contend. Frankly I'm not the type to put "Paypal Donation" all over the place either, I am not one for asking others to pay for what Shane and myself are doing out of love for the hobby. But at the same time when I hear people say "This is lame, you should just podcast, how stupid!" I have to ask those people "Thats great and all but are you going to pay for that kind of bandwidth?" we aren't doing this as a service, we are doing it because we enjoy it and hope other people who share our feelings on the subject would as well. If its honestly that MUCH of a damn burden to go to our site to download the latest episode every couple of weeks (Oh GOD FORBID!) then I guess we aren't the show for you to listen to at the moment. These types of shows are nothing new, they existed before the "amazing technology" that is podcasting, obviously for a lot of people this IS all new stuff.

In any case, time will tell...We are only 4 shows in so we'll see what happens.

Thanks for the comments. :cool:

I guess it all depends as to how you want to treat your audience. I was only on iTunes in AAC format. A couple of people wanted the direct feed address and MP3 format. Now I could have chastised them for not having iPods and suggested they bend to my will. But I simply chose to give them the direct link and I changed my format.

And it is not that it is a burden to download one show but it is a 5 step process as opposed to 1. Hey I could walk down to the market everyday and get a paper but I prefer to have it delivered. Also I listen to 12-15 different podcasts a week and going to each site and downloading would be a pain. You don't have to be new to podcasting to appreciate the ease of rss feeds. I've been doing it since 2000- way before the ipod. (even some of your co-hosts oldshow way back when)

That said I'll still keep listening and let other DS owners know.

p.s. Sorry for beating a dead horse, It's a bad habit of mine.

[quote name='usickenme']Good and valid points Womp. Much better than "teh podcasters are teh posers!!"[/QUOTE]

Very true. I don't really care much for the Podcasting technology myself as I much prefer the good ole method of word of mouth on finding internet radio shows which is how I discovered RGR way back in late 1998 (god its been THAT long... amazing how time flies). Yes I recognize that there are people out there who PREFER to get their content this way and that's cool and all but its not for ME. To see people like Vegan be "turned off" from a show just becasue the hosts don't want to have it available via Podcast is just absolutely lame if you ask me. And honestly I feel sorry for Vegan for deciding to miss out on a very well produced show over something so insignifigant in the grand scheme of things.

Sorry if I sounded like I just babbled on there a bit but I needed to express my 2 cents on this subject....

I'm not going to get this argument going again, but I was listening to the Short Attention Gamer podcast (well a ton of them actually - 12 hour drive) and they mentioned DSR in their podcast. I think it was in reference to one of their listeners favorite "podcasts."

[quote name='usickenme']And it is not that it is a burden to download one show but it is a 5 step process as opposed to 1.
You don't have to be new to podcasting to appreciate the ease of rss feeds. I've been doing it since 2000- way before the ipod.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. There is absolutely nothing wrong with making things easier. In fact, that's called progress, and progress is generally considered to be a good thing.

I used to do a couple of 'zines back in the day and was always looking for better ways to get distribution. Subscriptions, 'zine distro co-ops, submitting issues for review to Factsheet 5 to get attention, doing split 'zines to reach a different audience, etc.

If podcasts are replacing blogs as the new 'zines, then iTunes clearly has become the essential gathering point for podcast searches. Since Apple doesn't appear to have much interest in censorship, policing, or direct profiting from podcasts, why *wouldn't* you want to be listed there? If it's good enough for CheapyD and Wombat, it's good enough for me.

Welp, you guys won us over...We are now media casting via RSS feed.

dualscreenradio.libsyn.com/rss

We hope the people that weren't listening before for whatever reasons will give us a shot now, we are going to try experimenting with this and see what happens.

Shane and I are having a blast doing this show and hope everyone will join us a week from today for show#5.

We appreciate the support guys and thanks for your input. :)

[quote name='Scobie']Agreed. There is absolutely nothing wrong with making things easier. In fact, that's called progress, and progress is generally considered to be a good thing.

I used to do a couple of 'zines back in the day and was always looking for better ways to get distribution. Subscriptions, 'zine distro co-ops, submitting issues for review to Factsheet 5 to get attention, doing split 'zines to reach a different audience, etc.

If podcasts are replacing blogs as the new 'zines, then iTunes clearly has become the essential gathering point for podcast searches. Since Apple doesn't appear to have much interest in censorship, policing, or direct profiting from podcasts, why *wouldn't* you want to be listed there? If it's good enough for CheapyD and Wombat, it's good enough for me.[/QUOTE]

You make good points dude...and I agree. I do this because I love the Nintendo DS, its the first system in a LONG time I've been really excited over. The 1st point for DualScreenRadio is sharing our enthusiasm that what we feel for this wonderful little device, and getting to talk to others about it.

[quote name='valor19']Excellent! I need a show for my morning commute that clocks in around a 1/2 hour and this rocks![/QUOTE]

Enjoy it while you can, because they get longer! Show 3 clocks in around 3 hours. :)

[quote name='Womp']Welp, you guys won us over...We are now media casting via RSS feed.

dualscreenradio.libsyn.com/rss

We hope the people that weren't listening before for whatever reasons will give us a shot now, we are going to try experimenting with this and see what happens.

Shane and I are having a blast doing this show and hope everyone will join us a week from today for show#5.

We appreciate the support guys and thanks for your input. :)[/quote]

That is awesome. I'll make sure to add your feed when I get back home. I d/l'ed two of your episodes manually so I'll have around 6 hours of DSR for my drive home.

Thanks Womp. I was happy to d/l the show because it was worth the effort. Now I don't have to do anything!

[quote name='lebowsky']That is awesome. I'll make sure to add your feed when I get back home. I d/l'ed two of your episodes manually so I'll have around 6 hours of DSR for my drive home.[/QUOTE]

Work is nearly a 2 hour drive a day for me and in the mornings especially I just cannot handle listening to music, I'm not in the mood yet...So listening to a select few of the "Quality" podcasts I can find really helps pass time in traffic.
Of course CAGCast is one of these. :)

I knew for a fact there were no Nintendo DS dedicated ones when I went looking so back in November so I decided to take matters into my own hands and presented the "Beta" version of it to my pal Shane since he's done RetroGamingRadio for 7 years and get his take on it. He was a big DS fan and ended up doing it with me and we finally got recording in January.

Although making it into a feed makes it "Easy" for everyone to download the shows now, I HIGHLY urge everyone to check out the main site at dualscreenradio.com because Shane has put LOTS of work into making it just a kickass DS site overall. This is one thing that bothers me in general about this whole thing, ignorance of the site. We just got the game archive up and going that basically allows you to keep track of your collection and make a list of upcoming games. It was NOT easy to get this together but as fans we knew others would appreciate this as well. There is also a English translation for Puzzloop up, a Japanese game that is eating our brains into a coma...Plus I have my old review of the sweet Battle Stylus available to read to a broader audience. In any case we are now officially on iTunes but any media RSS program such as Juice (Which I recommend over iTunes if you are interested in this sort of thing, smaller more refined, for media RSS only) will work as well.

Show 4 was our best yet (I finally nailed the intro theme for starters after a few false starts) and the BEST is only yet to come. :cool:

Show #5 is out, our main review is Tetris DS, with a followup look at Princess Peach and we discuss puzzle gaming on the DS in general. 2 hours + in length

The big news is tomorrow, Friday the 14th, our hands on DSLite Blowout show #6 will be out. Its around 90 min or so with just our hands on impressions with the DSLite and what you can expect from it if you import or wait for a US release. It came out really great and if you check www.dualscreenradio.com you'll be able to access some exclusive 10 min footage of the DSLite playing some of the more popular titles in action and awesome comparison photos all taken especially for this episode. Its going to be really great and we hope you'll check out both shows.

You can also check them out on iTunes as well by doing a search for Nintendo DS or DualScreenRadio.

Otherwise both shows can be found via our website www.dualscreenradio.com or from our feed dualscreenradio.libsyn.com/rss

Thanks for the support! :D

Just a heads up...show #15 is out, we review Mario Hoops, Cooking Mama and discuss the buggy debacle that is LEGO Star Wars II. New one on the way next week! :)

I'm still listening and enjoying. It is a bit meandering but that is generally okay. It takes a week to get through a show.

[quote name='usickenme']I'm still listening and enjoying. It is a bit meandering but that is generally okay. It takes a week to get through a show.[/quote]
Since we are biweekly...That could work out then. :bouncy:

Thanks for listening.

P.S. We've been on iTunes for months now...We've listened to the masses, but in general we hope everyone will check out the site as well especially since we've done a huge overhaul to it and they both compliment each other. The database (Not to kiss our own ass here) is IMO still the best DS database around for US releases, but we take suggestions for imports to be added.

Sorry guys. I listened for about the first 7 or 8 shows, but they just got too long and too unfocused for me. Concise reviews are good. Your in-depth discussion of seemingly every bullet in the instruction booklet was a bit much.

If you insist on having shows this long, have you considered using the chapter feature available for podcasts? That way people could skip to content they are interested in without having to make a 3 hour time commitment.

bread's done
Back