Nintendo DSi (white) - Dell $130

Nice deal on a DSi, OP. It's really a shame that they removed the GBA slot, and that it's a bit difficult to find the original 'fat' DS new. That thing is built like a tank.

If you don't care about GBA games, but still want a DS, this is a pretty hard deal to pass up.

I would jump on this deal if it was for the black DSi. I'm going to have to think about the white one. Pretty good deal though.

[quote name='anticulture']Nice deal on a DSi, OP. It's really a shame that they removed the GBA slot, and that it's a bit difficult to find the original 'fat' DS new. That thing is built like a tank.

If you don't care about GBA games, but still want a DS, this is a pretty hard deal to pass up.[/QUOTE]
I upgraded from the DS Fat when Gamecrazy was offering something like $75 for trade-in for the DSi. I can't think of any reason you would want the DS fat over the DS Lite especially given the huge jump in brightness/color that the DS Lite provides.

Speaking as an owner of the DSi, this was more of a cash grab by Nintendo. You are essentially paying extra so that you can take part in the DSiWare sales platform. This is a platform where Nintendo doesn't have to stock items at retail, can sell directly to the consumer, and for the coup de grace, those purchases can't be transferred to a new system. The two cameras are very gimmicky however the extra screen size is sweet.

All that said, $130 is a good deal for the device and should have been it's initial price point but there were clearly enough people out there to buy it for $175, I'm just of the opinion that it wasn't worth that. Oh and if they'd put some games worth a damn on the DSiWare like classic nintendo games I'd probably buy them but nintendo likes to move at glacial pace when it comes to these things.

I bought the device from this deal, and I'm now really questioning myself. I haven't opened the DSi box yet, and I'm wondering if I should just sell it to someone before I do. I'm perfectly happy with my cobalt-blue DS Lite system, and I don't really need an "upgrade."

[quote name='spuffin']I upgraded from the DS Fat when Gamecrazy was offering something like $75 for trade-in for the DSi. I can't think of any reason you would want the DS fat over the DS Lite especially given the huge jump in brightness/color that the DS Lite provides.

Speaking as an owner of the DSi, this was more of a cash grab by Nintendo. You are essentially paying extra so that you can take part in the DSiWare sales platform. This is a platform where Nintendo doesn't have to stock items at retail, can sell directly to the consumer, and for the coup de grace, those purchases can't be transferred to a new system. The two cameras are very gimmicky however the extra screen size is sweet.

All that said, $130 is a good deal for the device and should have been it's initial price point but there were clearly enough people out there to buy it for $175, I'm just of the opinion that it wasn't worth that. Oh and if they'd put some games worth a damn on the DSiWare like classic nintendo games I'd probably buy them but nintendo likes to move at glacial pace when it comes to these things.[/QUOTE]

A few people want the DS Fat for it's durability. The hinges aren't fragile at all on that thing. Also, GBA games don't stick out like they do on the Lite, so that may be another reason.

[quote name='entaius']Also, GBA games don't stick out like they do on the Lite, so that may be another reason.[/QUOTE]

They don't stick out because there is nowhere to put them.

Yeah, I think the main reason for wanting the phat is durability, though I know more people that have damage to the phat than the lite. I have the phat and the lite, and the screens on the phat wobble and have been like that ever since I got it so its probably just the design. The phat's paint wears off and its just ugly. But the lite does have hinge cracks, though I have not experienced one myself. I am not a fan of the DSi as your paying more for IMO, useless already outdated features.

Give me a browser that supports flash (and actually keeps up with flash updates) and fast downloading of any internet video on a handheld, and you have my money.

bread's done
Back