Nintendo eShop Deals and Discussions

psunami

CAGiversary!
Feedback
48 (100%)
Thanks to Frisky for all of the hard work that he put in for the previous deals threads (and continues to on this thread!)

Feel free to post here about the newest Nintendo eShop deals, My Nintendo rewards and discussions about the previously mentioned items.

Nintendo Sales and Deals page

Last edited:
My Hori Split Pad Pro is about a year old and it was -great- until a week ago.

As one one week ago, the left joystick is acting up. When pressed FULLY up, it registers as DOWN. I wrote a little SmileBasic program to test this -- everything is fine until the left joystick gets to the far top, then it immediately registers as a far down tilt.

I sent Hori support an e-mail... no response.

I bought one where the buttons were unresponsive at some angles. I reached out to Hori and they got back to me but they wanted me to ship it back at my own expense to resolve it. When I explained it was in the return period with Amazon they just didn't respond.

Must be how they deal with support tickets they don't like

Maybe once or twice I've have it where one of the sticks was behaving as though it was drifting, but removing and reattaching it to the system always fixed it. Have you tried that?
It's a persistent issue. Reattaching doesn't changing anything, and it's not "drifting" exactly -- rather, the highest Y value on the left stick is registered as the lowest Y value.

I bought one where the buttons were unresponsive at some angles. I reached out to Hori and they got back to me but they wanted me to ship it back at my own expense to resolve it. When I explained it was in the return period with Amazon they just didn't respond.

Must be how they deal with support tickets they don't like
It's a bit irritating. I mean, I didn't think they'd help me as the controller is a year old, but I expected SOME response...

So I wrapped up the Prehistoric chapter of Live a Live and it was awful all the way through. If that was a whole game it would probably be one of the worst JRPG's I've ever played. Thankfully the Imperial China chapter which I played after was 100 times better. 

I loved Live A Live, but the prehistoric chapter was definitely the weakest one. The idea of a story without any text was interesting, but the only novelty I can remember gameplay-wise involved some sort of crafting. I don't really remember what it was since I used a guide to get the best equipment early on.

All of the different methods the developers used to subvert the typical JRPG formula makes all of the chapters so distinct and memorable. Definitely one of my favorite games for the SNES.

So I wrapped up the Prehistoric chapter of Live a Live and it was awful all the way through. If that was a whole game it would probably be one of the worst JRPG's I've ever played. Thankfully the Imperial China chapter which I played after was 100 times better.
I'm currently slogging through the prehistoric chapter right now. Glad to hear the other chapters are much better as this one is a chore to get through.

There's a deal at Target where you get a free 12-month individual membership if you buy one of a number of first-party titles.

https://www.target.com/pl/892220733

This deal was also at GameStop and Best Buy last week but I only found out about it today.

I miss when the retailer threads were regularly updated with weekly deals.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's a deal at Target where you get a free 12-month individual membership if you buy one of a number of first-party titles.

https://www.target.com/pl/892220733

This deal was also at GameStop and Best Buy last week but I only found out about it today.

I miss when the retailer threads were regularly updated with weekly deals.
Individual online is $20/year when the family plan is $35 for up to 8 people. Individual plan is a rip.

Individual online is $20/year when the family plan is $35 for up to 8 people. Individual plan is a rip.
True but if you just want a solo subscription so you don't have to deal with anyone, it's not THAT bad. Where it becomes ridiculous are the Expansion Pack individual vs. family rates.

Adding to the Live A Live discussion...

Last week I was fighting off some kind of virus and didn't feel like playing games so I only got back to it Saturday (as I mostly felt ok Saturday).

I was working on the Prehistory chapter and honestly, I loved it.   The story was pretty funny (I mean Gori the Gorilla farts and it blows up on the fire charring them all) and sweet ...  and the end boss was pretty solid.   I finished it Saturday night.   Even though there was no spoken language, somehow they told what I thought was a very understandable story that I could really easily retell to anyone interested.

Sunday I went ahead and my final three choices were The Wild Wild West, The Near Future, and The Distant Future.   I opted for The Near Future as I love big robot stories.   That seemed very well fleshed out.   The world was pretty interesting, the concept was great, and the enemies as the story unfolded got interesting.  I also like how in most battles you had a leader and taking out the leader ended the battle.  Overall, it was fun with a great opening video and the credits (like the caveman/prehistory) were well worth watching.

Next... I'm caught between the west and distant future... these seemed like the most potential to wow me... I'm leaning towards the west.

Overall to me the worst so far has been either Imperial China (somewhat bland) or Present Day (finished it in well under an hour, maybe even under 30min... but really fun and inventive).

I'm glad I bought the game, even though now it means I'm waiting a bit longer to play Xenoblade Chronicles 3 (which my copy showed up Saturday).

Adding to the Live A Live discussion...

Last week I was fighting off some kind of virus and didn't feel like playing games so I only got back to it Saturday (as I mostly felt ok Saturday).

I was working on the Prehistory chapter and honestly, I loved it. The story was pretty funny (I mean Gori the Gorilla farts and it blows up on the fire charring them all) and sweet ... and the end boss was pretty solid. I finished it Saturday night. Even though there was no spoken language, somehow they told what I thought was a very understandable story that I could really easily retell to anyone interested.

Sunday I went ahead and my final three choices were The Wild Wild West, The Near Future, and The Distant Future. I opted for The Near Future as I love big robot stories. That seemed very well fleshed out. The world was pretty interesting, the concept was great, and the enemies as the story unfolded got interesting. I also like how in most battles you had a leader and taking out the leader ended the battle. Overall, it was fun with a great opening video and the credits (like the caveman/prehistory) were well worth watching.

Next... I'm caught between the west and distant future... these seemed like the most potential to wow me... I'm leaning towards the west.

Overall to me the worst so far has been either Imperial China (somewhat bland) or Present Day (finished it in well under an hour, maybe even under 30min... but really fun and inventive).

I'm glad I bought the game, even though now it means I'm waiting a bit longer to play Xenoblade Chronicles 3 (which my copy showed up Saturday).
I will say I also did enjoy the prehistory end boss battle.

Neat.
I figured updates on Scarlet/Violet were a given but I'm curious what else they'll announce.
Unite is having its one year Anniversary event at the moment, for example.

It's Square Enix. There's a demo that you can try and carry over the progress to the game if you did not know about it.
Oh thanks. I’ll try the demo.

Do square Enix games drop quickly? Triangle strategy is still only $10 below retail. Octopath went down to 30 at one point.

Decisions decisions. 10% cash back on rakuten for GS.

Do square Enix games drop quickly? Triangle strategy is still only $10 below retail. Octopath went down to 30 at one point.

I'm still kicking myself years later for not using a Nintendo Rewards coupon I had for 30% off the eShop version of Bravely Default. Some Square Enix games drop quickly, some hold their price (or go up) like first party Nintendo titles.

It's Square Enix. There's a demo that you can try and carry over the progress to the game if you did not know about it.
Isn’t it developed by Square, but published by Nintendo? Correct me if I’m wrong.

Anyone here recommend Raji The Ancient Epic or Narita Boy? Have had them on my wishlist for a while and they’re both over 60% off right now ($8.49 and $8.74). Raji just got a big update too. I know there’s a demo for it, just wondering if anybody has played the update yet.

It's Nintendo-published, so it'll go on sale at the same cadence and discounts that other Nintendo games get. Octopath Traveler weirdly went on sale for 50% off twice, but has been 30% off the few times it's been on sale since then.

Isn’t it developed by Square, but published by Nintendo? Correct me if I’m wrong.

Anyone here recommend Raji The Ancient Epic or Narita Boy? Have had them on my wishlist for a while and they’re both over 60% off right now ($8.49 and $8.74). Raji just got a big update too. I know there’s a demo for it, just wondering if anybody has played the update yet.
Yeah your right, my bad.

Live A Live update...

Started and finished The Wild Wild West story last night. It wasn't as long as I was hoping but had so much charm. The voice work was mostly great but the one main woman character's voice seemed out of place (very over the top anime instead of old western). I'm having a windshield replaced later today so I'll have some downtime in the waiting room and will be taking on the last main story, The Distant Future. Not sure if I'll finish it tonight but if so then tomorrow I'll start whatever happens afterward.

Should I buy Live a Live at full price?

It’s Nintendo published right?
As noted by others, play the demo first. Play all three parts they let you try to completion. The one with the old master finding a successor is the weakest of the three so keep that in mind if you play it first as the other two are better (IMO).

And yea the price thing is going to be a tough one as it's SquareEnix but indeed published by Nintendo. I don't buy many games regularly anymore so I just bought it at full price.

Yeah but it's the friggin legendaries. For the first time in 10+ years, I will not be picking up the new mainline Pokemon game day 1. I'll wait to see how reviews are and will probably pick it up when they release the bundle with the dlc in October of next year.

I have both of them preordered already otherwise I'd probably do the same thing.  Hell they'd probably go super cheap in a buy x get y sale via target or gamestop given that's what happened with diamond and pearl remakes bundles. 

Weird Nintendo Switch UI discovery of the day:

The Switch menu only supports up to 2000 title "tiles." If you have 2000 entries and download another title, the oldest one in the list vanishes.

Earlier this year, I noticed that some of my installed titles were missing from the Switch menu -- and when I went to redownload them, I couldn't. Those titles were missing from the REDOWNLOAD list on the eShop, and their eShop game pages didn't have a DOWNLOAD option. After formatting my SD card, I was able to redownload them again.

After some testing, I've determine that once you exceed 2000 titles (tiles visible on the main menu), the oldest title is no longer displayed. It's still in the Switch memory, but it can't be accessed from the menu.  If you delete titles, these "hidden" titles will reappear.

So... essentially... no more than 2000 titles are displayed at a time, although more than that can be installed.  If you have more than 2000, the oldest titles are no longer displayed (but are still installed, and thus you can't "redownload" them).  To get them back, delete newer title tiles -- as you do, the "missing" ones will reappear at the end of the list.  Titles that were "hidden" lose their Group status.

For most players, this isn't a problem -- unless you download lots of demos.  Demos will necessarily increase your title count.

Sadly, deleting all unused demo tiles presents a new problem -- as most demos do NOT appear on the redownload list, these demos will vanish "forever" if the publisher removes them from the eShop. While the title tiles are on the menu, they can be redownloaded... but if the eShop entries are removed, that option is gone forever.

Two... thousand??
Yes.

Again, this isn't going to be a major problem for everyone... but if you've download a LOT of demos, you are going to have a lot of your menu filled up. (In my case, it's partially due to the fact that the local library system lends Switch games out... and every cartridge is one more menu tile!)

Yes.

Again, this isn't going to be a major problem for everyone... but if you've download a LOT of demos, you are going to have a lot of your menu filled up. (In my case, it's partially due to the fact that the local library system lends Switch games out... and every cartridge is one more menu tile!)
It also doesn't help when games like Danganronpa Decadence take up four slots. Each of the four slots takes a space. The Doom collection is another like that.

I will never hit 2000 downloads at once.  I do try out demos but very few do I feel like I need to keep after testing.  The only one I actually regret deleting that went away was Valkyria Chronicles 4 as I wasn't really in the mood for it and so I deleted the demo.  But ultimately it worked out fine as I have way more than I can play even with as little as I buy these days.

Two thousand titles!? I’m impressed and concerned for you. But it makes sense since the 3DS had a similar setup. Do you have all those games across multiple SD cards? Or is it all crammed into a 1TB?

Two thousand titles!? I’m impressed and concerned for you. But it makes sense since the 3DS had a similar setup. Do you have all those games across multiple SD cards? Or is it all crammed into a 1TB?
It's mostly empty entries for demos, non-US demos, and loose carts I don't own. (Library).

I have a MUCH smaller set of actual games installed on SD.

The real pain when it comes to "fixing" this weird issue is that you can't mass "delete" titles -- you have to delete them individually.

I will never hit 2000 downloads at once. I do try out demos but very few do I feel like I need to keep after testing. The only one I actually regret deleting that went away was Valkyria Chronicles 4 as I wasn't really in the mood for it and so I deleted the demo. But ultimately it worked out fine as I have way more than I can play even with as little as I buy these days.
See, that's the thing -- I never bothered fully deleting old demos... I "archived"/deleted them, but left the title tiles on the Switch menu.

It's mostly empty entries for demos, non-US demos, and loose carts I don't own. (Library).

I have a MUCH smaller set of actual games installed on SD.

The real pain when it comes to "fixing" this weird issue is that you can't mass "delete" titles -- you have to delete them individually.
Yeah Nintendo has never been great with data management. I’d like to eventually upgrade to the OLED switch, but I dread having to re-download all my games since they don’t allow a simple SD card transfer due to pirating or some excuse. Even the auto software update doesn’t really work, I think it only checks for game updates if you recently played it.

It's always creepy when living critters turn into motorcycles.
0rj3kvjbgkwz.jpg

All-time low $25 for Divinity Original Sin 2 Definitive Edition on Switch

https://www.dekudeals.com/items/divinity-original-sin-2-definitive-edition

I own this game on PS4 and PC (Steam Deck) already so I probably won't get it on Switch but if anyone doesn't own it or is "Switch-only" then this is a well-reviewed game and is unique in that it offers multiplayer local co-op with a rich story. If you play with a spouse then this is a highly recommended game from reviews. I can't really speak on the performance though compared to other platforms.

Mario Kart 8 DLC Wave 2 is out today. Going to play it now.

*EDIT* In typical Nintendo fashion, I couldn't download wave 2 so I had to google why and you first need to download the update. Do that by pressing + and going to software update and then it will let you know there is DLC to install. Nintendo should have made it where they let you know you need to update MK8D!! right when you clicked on it. Oh well.

Mario Kart 8 DLC Wave 2 is out today. Going to play it now.

*EDIT* In typical Nintendo fashion, I couldn't download wave 2 so I had to google why and you first need to download the update. Do that by pressing + and going to software update and then it will let you know there is DLC to install. Nintendo should have made it where they let you know you need to update MK8D!! right when you clicked on it. Oh well.
If you click to start a game with an update an alert will pop up saying a new update is available and gives you the option to download or start without downloading. Literally exactly what you're asking for.

If you click to start a game with an update an alert will pop up saying a new update is available and gives you the option to download or start without downloading. Literally exactly what you're asking for.
The first thing I did was start up the game and I got no such prompt. It just went right to the game. I then checked through Nintendo online and went to the download section and it wouldn't download anything so I then googled and was told about having to update. I had to click on + and update manually or else I wouldn't have made that post.

Tried to play Mario kart online but both times I joined it had me spectating races that just started. How is that possible that there aren’t games for me to join? Boo

Just joined the Switch Online Family Expansion thingie last night. Have a question about those icons/avatars things you can use points on. If I got, for example, an Animal Crossing character and a Mario Kart background, can I mix and match? Or do Animal Crossing characters only work with Animal Crossing backgrounds?

Just joined the Switch Online Family Expansion thingie last night. Have a question about those icons/avatars things you can use points on. If I got, for example, an Animal Crossing character and a Mario Kart background, can I mix and match? Or do Animal Crossing characters only work with Animal Crossing backgrounds?
No mixing/matching.

bread's done
Back