Nintendo eShop Deals and Discussions

psunami

CAGiversary!
Feedback
48 (100%)
Thanks to Frisky for all of the hard work that he put in for the previous deals threads (and continues to on this thread!)

Feel free to post here about the newest Nintendo eShop deals, My Nintendo rewards and discussions about the previously mentioned items.

Nintendo Sales and Deals page

Last edited:
Did anyone see the official Pokemon Twitter account announce Pokemon Scarlet and Violet Home compatibility for May 24th? Well a day later, they reneged on that date and now it's just coming out "soon"

I still love Pokemon after all these years but man, Game Freak's incompetence is just the gift that keeps on giving

Donkey Kong 64.

Oh, was that a rhetorical question?
I think the "which Donkey King game is the best?" answer will always be very subjective. I prefer the original arcade game myself. I like the fun arcade style gameplay plus for the time this was an amazing looking game. I played the Gameboy version that nightc1 mentioned, but it never really grabbed me. Sure it is much more in depth than the arcade game, but I just like the original arcade gameplay more.

If the question is which " 2D Donkey Kong game has the most content?" that would be a less subjective question to answer.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's like Donkey Kong... which version is the best? The 1994 Gameboy version. It takes the original arcade game and expands upon it. So what it has fewer colors and lower end graphics (though it does have Super Game Boy enhancements). It's the ultimate version of Donkey Kong.
I love GBO Donkey Kong, too, but it’s a very different game than arcade DK. If you take, for instance, SMB2 SNES and compare it to SMB2 GBA, these are effectively the same game—sure, there are some differences, but anyone with any familiarity with either will immediately recognize the other. And a few minor changes, even if we assume they’re universally superior, are not going to make up for the screen crunch going on in the GBA version. The graphic tiles are the same resolution, meaning SMB2 GBA, due to the GBA’s lower screen resolution, cuts off a lot of screen information that would have been visible in SMB2 SNES, which is pretty far from ideal. That’s the biggest problem, but the washed out colors and GBA’s poor sound do make a significant impact on games where the audiovisual presentation makes up a significant portion of the charm.

Don’t get me wrong, the GBA Super Mario ports are well done (look at the GBA Sonic the Hedgehog port for an example of a poorly done 4th gen platformer conversion), but claiming they’re “clearly superior” to the originals seems pretty disingenuous.

Also for the record, the GBO featured a superior CPU (Sharp LR35902 clocked at 4.19 MHz, based on the Zilog Z80) to the arcade Donkey Kong (which used a 3.072 MHz Zilog Z80), and while graphical aesthetic is subjective, I’d say that the graphics for the GBO DK are significantly better than the arcade, thanks in part to the superior hardware (which, granted, is limited to four-color grayscale) and nearly 15 years extra experience in pixelart that Nintendo possessed at that point.

I think they're talking about Donkey Kong '94, the second most famous '94 after Woodstock '94 but probably because it's not even really called Donkey Kong '94

:roll:

It's GB or DMG.
Sure, I use DMG in my personal notes, but nobody outside the retro games community is going to have any idea what that means. And people always apply additional identifiers to the original which inspired similarly named successors. It isn’t PS or SMB or AC, it’s PS1 and SMB1 and AC1. GBO is the most commonly used acronym for the system; I don’t see much use in fighting that.

..There's world of difference between sticking a 1 in at the end to specify the original, and using an "O" to do the same. (Not to mention the PS One was actually a thing.) Also I have absolutely no idea what DMG is.

OG GB probably would have worked. I've seen DMG plenty, but I also fix handhelds and have a lot of them.

I'm not really sure why there's a need to distinguish the original GB from anything else though, every subsequent model had its own separate designation (GBP, GBC, GB light, GBA, GBASP, micro, etc).

So. What are we even all talking about here?? :)

..There's world of difference between sticking a 1 in at the end to specify the original, and using an "O" to do the same.
Not really? The Game Boy line was never numbered, and anachronistic acronyms tend to follow the pattern laid down by successors. Game Boy Color -> GBC, Game Boy Advance -> GBA, Original Game Boy -> GBO. It’s hardly perfect, but I didn’t make it up, and it’s more easily parsed by people who aren’t familiar with the hardware than DMG.

(Not to mention the PS One was actually a thing.)
Not till after the PS2 released, making it as much an anachronism as “GBO.” The PS1 is also reasonably commonly referred to as the PSX, and I haven’t the foggiest idea where that one comes from. It’s certainly not from the official Sony PSX product, which was a DVR/PS2 hybrid.

OG GB? Venkman, Spengler, Stantz and Zeddemore, right?
Mass hysteria!

The Game Boy line was never numbered, and anachronistic acronyms tend to follow the pattern laid down by successors. Game Boy Color -> GBC, Game Boy Advance -> GBA, Original Game Boy -> GBO. It’s hardly perfect, but I didn’t make it up, and it’s more easily parsed by people who aren’t familiar with the hardware than DMG.
People say PS1 because if you just say Playstation, there's a chance you're talking about the current model. That can also happen with "Nintendo," just because the word is synonymous with gaming in general. No chance of that with the Game Boy since the title has been dead for decades. Also, NES/SNES/N64; GB/GBC/GBA. No need for extra modifiers for the first two respective platforms because there's already zero confusion with those two acronyms.

People say PS1 because if you just say Playstation, there's a chance you're talking about the current model. That can also happen with "Nintendo," just because the word is synonymous with gaming in general. No chance of that with the Game Boy since the title has been dead for decades. Also, NES/SNES/N64; GB/GBC/GBA. No need for extra modifiers for the first two respective platforms because there's already zero confusion with those two acronyms.
You'd be surprised how many people refer to the entire line of Game Boy models (from the DMG to the Game Boy Pocket, the Game Boy Light, the GBC, the GBA, and the Game Boy Micro) as just "Game Boy," actually. It's especially prevalent to conflate the DMG and the GBC together under the moniker "Game Boy," since the GBC was to the DMG essentially what the New 3DS was to the original 3DS, and frankly I prefer "GBO" as a shorthand means of differentiating the older model from the newer, for all its faults, to "old 3DS."

In any case, if you have complaints, go to a retro gaming forum and take it up with them. I've explained the etymology as best I can, as well as why I personally sometimes use the term. I don't feel like continuing to harp on these points is really going anywhere.

Also I have absolutely no idea what DMG is.
21877.jpg

Pandemic Shooter is the free No Gravity game today for their rolling free stuff thing they do every quarter or so.

It is an omega cringe game, and representative of what's usually given away in these promotions. A good reminder that participation is usually a waste of time.

So don't download it and keep playing TotK instead.

Yeah pandemic stuff is pretty dang out of date now. I actually saw when buying a bday card a card say "Wish I could wish you a happy bday, but I need to stay indoors," or something with someone with a mask. I was like I can tell this is some old stuff. The game does look massively cringe too, but it's free massive cringe!

Tuesday's No Gravity Games giveaway is Apparition.  

I missed Monday's game on one of my accounts, and I doubt I'll buy Pandemic Shooter just so that I can get this one.

Wario64 posted on Twitter Staples has 15$ off switch titles
Ring Fit
Animal Crossing
Skyward Sword
Pokemon Diamond
Pokemon Arceus
Mario party superstars
Mario kart 8
Smash bros ultimate
Super Mario 3D world + bowsers fury
Nintendo switch sports
Kirby's return to Dreamland deluxe
Fire emblem engage
Pokemon violet
Splatoon 3
Mario Odyssey

Nice! You found it before VGP sent an email out. I like buying from VGP. With exchange rate and lack of tax (I usually find something for free shipping), it's typically cheaper.
Especially when they have sales. I got mask of deception from them along with valkyrie profile ds and ff12 ds for a song.

And iirc I had 2 coupons I used on persona q 1 & 2 reprint.

When you put the daily games giveaway whoever does it can you please add the link as well. I know it's easy to search, but it saves a bit of time. 

This round of no gravity stuff I just completely skipped.   Nothing against them or getting games free.  I've participated in the past, I just know that realistically my time is better spent elsewhere.

This round of no gravity stuff I just completely skipped. Nothing against them or getting games free. I've participated in the past, I just know that realistically my time is better spent elsewhere.
Yeah. I missed the first one of the series and didn't want to waste money on buying the first game so I could get the rest free. I have too many other games to play that I can't realistically complete in my lifetime.

Update for Tears of the Kingdom apparently removed a duplication glitch, so if you're interested in that at all, turn off auto updates or go airplane mode or disable Internet or whatever.

Update for Tears of the Kingdom apparently removed a duplication glitch, so if you're interested in that at all, turn off auto updates or go airplane mode or disable Internet or whatever.
I just texted my youngest son (18) this. I'm not sure if he's even aware of the glitch, but it's worth considering.

There's still a viable glitch that works (only looked into it after seeing a Wario64 tweet about the update this morning), but it's a lot slower and not as easy.

bread's done
Back