Nintendo is in a software slump.

[quote name='Sarang01']Hey javeryh, remind me of what new IP's Nintendo created for the Gamecube besides "Luigi's Mansion"?
[/QUOTE]

Pikmin!!! Oh yeah, I think Animal Crossing made its debut on the Gamecube too...

[quote name='Javery']Pikmin!!! Oh yeah, I think Animal Crossing made its debut on the Gamecube too...[/QUOTE]

Throw Eternal Darkness in there too.. if that counts, not sure if it counts because it was only one game. Just one of the best Survival Horror games ever made. I plan on getting a Wii U eventually but if they announced or had an Eternal Darkness sequel out now I'd go out and get one immediately..

Nintendo should just make a new Survival Horror IP since I don't think that will ever happen..

[quote name='ProfWho']I agree, the Wii U is not competing directly with the PS4. It is trying to be its own beast.[/QUOTE]

it's own beast lol i don't thikn it's sale number makes it a beast and no great 3rd party support

[quote name='ProfWho']It is what is known as a legacy input. Last I checked they also have composite cables as well it doesn't mean that they are not dated. 7.1 surround and the high quality surround standards tend to not support TOSLINK. On my tv, it passes through that is what the ARC is for. That said if you are dealing with an HDMI device why would you hook it up to your TV over your receiver since receivers tend to have more HDMI inputs.[/QUOTE]

"Legacy input" or not, current gen games and the specs for next gen games show that optical will be included. Wii U doesn't. Nintendo never included them with any of their prior systems either. They were behind the times then, and they're behind the times now. Fact is, aside from an HDMI, the Wii U has no audio hook up - unless you count the headphone jack on the Gamepad. I plug my consoles via optical to surround sound headphones, not a speaker system. Hence, the requirement for optical.

Though, I guess I should have waited until 2019 for the Wii U 2, by then Nintendo might finally catch up and include an optical, seeing as how they just caught up to HD.

When every high-end blu-ray and DVD player currently has optical and a supposed 'next gen' system doesn't, that's an issue. "Legacy input" or not. And further, it's not like Wii U is next gen anyways. Spec wise, it's current gen. So it should have current generation inputs.

[quote name='confoosious']Man, i can't believe in this day and age, the WiiU doesn't have S-Video out.[/QUOTE]

Don't be foolish. Everyone knows Nintendo was never able to figure S-Video out. They still have a division that's working on it for when they re-release a batch of limited edition GameCubes in ten years.

[quote name='SolidSnake86']"Legacy input" or not, current gen games and the specs for next gen games show that optical will be included. Wii U doesn't. Nintendo never included them with any of their prior systems either. They were behind the times then, and they're behind the times now. Fact is, aside from an HDMI, the Wii U has no audio hook up - unless you count the headphone jack on the Gamepad. I plug my consoles via optical to surround sound headphones, not a speaker system. Hence, the requirement for optical.

Though, I guess I should have waited until 2019 for the Wii U 2, by then Nintendo might finally catch up and include an optical, seeing as how they just caught up to HD.

When every high-end blu-ray and DVD player currently has optical and a supposed 'next gen' system doesn't, that's an issue. "Legacy input" or not. And further, it's not like Wii U is next gen anyways. Spec wise, it's current gen. So it should have current generation inputs.[/QUOTE]

Not sure why you're expecting Nintendo to include an optical when they already left out so many features on Wii U:

-- No Ethernet port
-- No blu ray or DVD support
-- No internal HDD or even a bay for one
-- No Dolby/DTS
-- Only ancient USB 2.0 ports

And that doesn't even touch on the other shortcuts they took on the console like a measly 1GB RAM for games.

They obviously cut corners like crazy on the console to accommodate the expensive gamepad controller. Doesn't bode well for the future of the console over the next few years.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='chimpmeister']Not sure why you're expecting Nintendo to include an optical when they already left out so many features on Wii U[/QUOTE]

That's a good point.

I bought a Wii U for Pikmin 3, which was the highlight of LAST YEARS'S E3. It still isn't out, and there's no firm release date in sight. AFAIK, Nintendo's only Wii U promotion activity right now is for third-party titles. The only other first-party titles that we have any firm info on are Pokemon Rumble U, Wind Waker HD, and SSB 4, with the latter DEFINITELY not coming this year (development only started last year).

I'm sure that E3 will be great (beyond all else, we'll finally get to see Retro Studios' mystery project), but at least half a year without a killer app (first OR third party) is pretty darn depressing...

This coming E3 is critical for the WiiU that's for sure. If they don't show a bunch of awesome games coming out by like the end of the year they are in big trouble because you know Sony and MS are going to bring it this year. If I were them I'd just shoot my load now and announce new versions of all major IP. Who cares if it it early in the lifespan of the console? No one would complain if we got a trilogy for each series instead of the typical 1-2 games per console.

[quote name='SolidSnake86']"Legacy input" or not, current gen games and the specs for next gen games show that optical will be included. Wii U doesn't. Nintendo never included them with any of their prior systems either. They were behind the times then, and they're behind the times now. Fact is, aside from an HDMI, the Wii U has no audio hook up - unless you count the headphone jack on the Gamepad. I plug my consoles via optical to surround sound headphones, not a speaker system. Hence, the requirement for optical.

When every high-end blu-ray and DVD player currently has optical and a supposed 'next gen' system doesn't, that's an issue. "Legacy input" or not. And further, it's not like Wii U is next gen anyways. Spec wise, it's current gen. So it should have current generation inputs.[/QUOTE]

uhhh.. nobody gives a crap about optical. Just look at the market penetration of HDMI. This is a by the numbers decision.

[quote name='confoosious']uhhh.. nobody gives a crap about optical. Just look at the market penetration of HDMI. This is a by the numbers decision.[/QUOTE]

True but they could release a dongle to use the component port to output optical like MS did with the 360. I love my sound system but it only takes optical 5.1 and I can't find a decent solution for the WiiU ATM.

bread's done
Back