Nintendo Launches "Budget" Wii Label In Japan

foltzie

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
Nintendo Launches Players Choice Budget Wii Label In Japan

Interesting... Kotaku says the wrapper looks like old cigarette packages, which they do. Also, Nintendo is "rating" each title on the label as either Platinum, Gold, Silver, or Bronze...

[quote name='xycury']weird.... the covers are hideous though.[/QUOTE]

True,

But I could see Nintendo of America doing something similar that would really stand out in a 4 foot retail section or retail island.

LOL, they look like giant cigarette packs.

But I don't care how ugly they are, if they're cheap enough I'll buy them and just download and reprint the covers from the internet.

[quote name='maximumzero']Fairly certain those covers are slip covers (like you find on DVDs these days) or reversible for the original art.[/QUOTE]

I'm hoping they are reversible - similar to the New Play Control covers. That said, printing replacement covers really isn't a big deal these days (and can sometimes lead to an even better looking game if you replace the regular artwork with spectacular fanart).

I'm surprised no one's yet pointed the most interesting bit about all this: all of the launch games for this line are third-party titles.

On the one hand, I like that they're boosting good third-party games with good sales. On the other, yeeeah, Ninty's not dropping the MSRP of their own best-sellers any time soon ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if the scores (platinum, bronze) are equivalent to the Famitsu scores the games received. All I know is that 428 got a 40/40 for some reason, and looking at the other titles, I imagine the ratings match up. But I'm too lazy to look this information up to confirm it. The anime titles sound about right - bronze - if the scores correlate.

Supposedly they've picked 75 (!) games for this already. No telling if they are third party only at this point. I'm sure plenty of us would like to see some first party titles, especially given the ones Nintendo has already announced as being out of print. They should also push games like No More Heroes. I've noticed most of these titles would be considered more "gamer" in nature versus casual, which may or may not be the case when more are announced.

I'm not expecting a North America announcement before A) E3, and B) before a European one. Seems like the boys across the pond have the drop on us lately, and E3 would be the best time to announce this sort of thing. Which means it wouldn't happen before fall. This is all my speculation.

Lack of a Player's Choice line is another example of how Nintendo has turned it's back on the hardcore gamer. Furthermore . . . wait what's this . . .

Nintendo decided to try and go with the General Gaming population this time around, whereas Microsoft and Sony tried to go with the more Dedicated Gamers. I think it balances itself out pretty well.

Plus, it's not necessarily Nintendo's fault that there are a lack of good games for the Wii this generation, it's the developer's fault. I think Nintendo would pretty much take any game for its console (I mean... look at Ninjabread Man).

[quote name='Droenixjpn']Nintendo decided to try and go with the General Gaming population this time around, whereas Microsoft and Sony tried to go with the more Dedicated Gamers. I think it balances itself out pretty well.

Plus, it's not necessarily Nintendo's fault that there are a lack of good games for the Wii this generation, it's the developer's fault. I think Nintendo would pretty much take any game for its console (I mean... look at Ninjabread Man).[/QUOTE]

1)You're not looking hard at all.

2) Which is also on the PS2. I think Sony would do the same thing to not piss publishers off, don't you?

I was just speaking theoretically about the Wii not having good games this generation. I know of a handful of good titles for the Wii.

Plus, Ninjabread Man was published by a publisher that I've never even heard of. If Nintendo did decide not to publish that title, I don't think anybody would mind.

[quote name='Droenixjpn']If Nintendo did decide not to publish that title, I don't think anybody would mind.[/QUOTE]

They did that sort of thing in the NES days, and people still whine about it to this day.

[quote name='Strell']They did that sort of thing in the NES days, and people still whine about it to this day.[/QUOTE]

Hell the EU did a bit more than whine.

[quote name='maximumzero']Fairly certain those covers are slip covers (like you find on DVDs these days) or reversible for the original art.[/QUOTE]

From what they're saying on GAF, it sounds like it's the former, a cardboard sleeve that slips over the box.

[quote name='Cao Cao']From what they're saying on GAF, it sounds like it's the former, a cardboard sleeve that slips over the box.[/QUOTE]

Capcom: No one bought Zack and Wiki, but the critics loved it!

Nintendo: You named a game Zack and Wiki and didnt promote it they way we promoted Banjo Kazooie, of course it didnt sell well.

Capcom: Still, we have a half million copies of the game setting around, we dont want to "ET" a good game.

Nintendo: I have a cunning idea.

[quote name='foltzie']Nintendo: I have a cunning idea.[/QUOTE]
(cont.)
Nintendo: Rebuild it with a rhythm washboard play control element, then time your re-release to coincide with our Wii Washboard and corresponding washboard peripheral.

Capcom: Oh yes. Capcom got to get paid, son.

I really doubt that will be the actual cover. If it is, you can just go ahead and print out the original cover instead.

I believe that is just a slipcover, if it isn't..... well.... can't say anything really.

bread's done
Back