Nintendo needs to get it's priorities straight...

fraggedbylaggers

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
I am a huge fan of the Wii but I am a little concerned that Nintendo is focusing more on news and weather than interconectivity with the DS. The DS is the best selling handheld and if DS owners hear they can connect to the wii, they will be more likely to buy one. Here are a few of my ideas:

VC Games on DS
Nintendo should one up sony by allowing people to transfer games from virtual console to the DS. This would work really well for all systems (except N64) because the DS has a button layout very similar to the Snes. If they did this they would be better than sony because you can only play the downloaded PS1 games on the psp and not on the ps3 (that was a dumb idea on their part).

DS as a controller
I am not sure if this is completley possible but maybe nintendo could create an add on for the ds that allowed it to be motion sensitive as well as touch sensitive. This would work well for RPG games (Remember FF:CC on the GCN?) and allow for even more creativity. That being said, any game to take use of this function should also have a mode where the DS is not required.

Miis on your DS
Nintendo could up the ante on the Mii craze by allowing you to have your Mii go with you everywhere. Yes they are already allowing you to save a Mii to you wiimote but this would be much better. Why you ask? Because Nintendo can create games for the DS that involve your Mii character. The DS is great for short bursts of gameplay and something similar to Wii Sports could be an immense success on the DS. Online and local multiplayer would make a game like that a blast.

I hope you like my ideas. I think if nintendo did this they could get the conectivity right this generation.

I *love* the first 2 ideas... but the DS has small internal memory, so if it was possible to play VC games on the DS, it'd be only until you turn the DS off (like demos). I originally thaught the DS would act as a controller, I hope that's something Nintendo is thinking about implimenting.
I'm gald they are eventually going to allow you to upload DS demos from the Wii... I've never braught my DS to the stores that have kiosks, and doubt I ever will.

Wow I was so excited about my other ideas that I forgot the demos

It would be great if you could download demos to your DS through your Wii much like you can at a retail store kiosk.

A DS on tv thing is certainly possible. When I when to Digital Life I am almost certain you could play a DS but watch it on a bigger screen in front of you...

Using the DS as a motion-sensitive controller would make it pretty useless as a DS... unless you fancy getting seasick trying to watch the screen as you're moving it around.

The DS is used with Pokemon Battle Revolution, so it's not as if they aren't planning on using it at all.

Personally, I'd rather they focus their priorities on games than channels or DS connectivity (I know they have different teams to take care of these things, I'm just sayin').

I think Nintendo just hit the motherload and does not have to get anything straight. DS and Wii are the hottest fuck out right now.

Yeah I know I am being a little nit-pickey but whatever. The main thing for me is having Mii related games on DS and being able to play VC games on the DS-Gunstar anyone?

[quote name='fraggedbylaggers']I am a huge fan of the Wii but I am a little concerned that Nintendo is focusing more on news and weather than interconectivity with the DS. The DS is the best selling handheld and if DS owners hear they can connect to the wii, they will be more likely to buy one. Here are a few of my ideas:

VC Games on DS
Nintendo should one up sony by allowing people to transfer games from virtual console to the DS. This would work really well for all systems (except N64) because the DS has a button layout very similar to the Snes. If they did this they would be better than sony because you can only play the downloaded PS1 games on the psp and not on the ps3 (that was a dumb idea on their part).

DS as a controller
I am not sure if this is completley possible but maybe nintendo could create an add on for the ds that allowed it to be motion sensitive as well as touch sensitive. This would work well for RPG games (Remember FF:CC on the GCN?) and allow for even more creativity. That being said, any game to take use of this function should also have a mode where the DS is not required.

Miis on your DS
Nintendo could up the ante on the Mii craze by allowing you to have your Mii go with you everywhere. Yes they are already allowing you to save a Mii to you wiimote but this would be much better. Why you ask? Because Nintendo can create games for the DS that involve your Mii character. The DS is great for short bursts of gameplay and something similar to Wii Sports could be an immense success on the DS. Online and local multiplayer would make a game like that a blast.

I hope you like my ideas. I think if nintendo did this they could get the conectivity right this generation.[/QUOTE]

Well I was prepared to say nothing you say would drive sales based on the title of the thread alone, but you are correct the DS is their current bread and butter. The first and third ideas make a lot of sense and could leverage users with just a DS to get a Wii.

The second idea is DOA, it would require an add-on for motion, as you say, which never work. Even the GBA-GCN cable was too much and it was packed in with every game that supported its use. It could be possible just to use it as a controller, but would require a killer app to make it work. Zelda Four Swords and Final Fantasy CC werent enough on the GCN, but maybe a rehash for the Wii is in order.

[quote name='botticus']Using the DS as a motion-sensitive controller would make it pretty useless as a DS... unless you fancy getting seasick trying to watch the screen as you're moving it around.

The DS is used with Pokemon Battle Revolution, so it's not as if they aren't planning on using it at all.

Personally, I'd rather they focus their priorities on games than channels or DS connectivity (I know they have different teams to take care of these things, I'm just sayin').[/QUOTE]

Hell I forgot about Pokemon... DS and Wii, I assume you've already met your "killer app". Pokemon doesnt print money, but rather builds the molds that are used to print the money.

If you want Nintendo to get their priorities straight, you should've said that they need to release something decent before the end of next fucking year.

they've already said that DS connectivity is coming.

they've hinted at the fact that the wii will be used as a ds download station. i'm assuming it'll be a new channel to download in wiiware sometime next year.

as stated, the DS is already used as a controller for pokemon battle revolution, so they're clearly thinking of ways to use the DS and the wii together.

and i personally don't see the point of miis on the DS. to me, the miis are fun on the wii because i'm usually playing with a big group of people. we like to be able to see each other. i'm not a fan of the mii parade because it's people that i don't actually know. since the DS, or any handheld really, isn't designed for group play, why bother with miis? i know, i could play with friends online and see each other, but, i don't know... just not the same as having them in the room and looking at them on the screen, ya know? to me, miis foster that "we're all in the living room playing together" thing. online, it's not the same.

but they're doing this in a smart way, actually. many of the people that already own a DS are more likely to jump on board with the wii no questions asked. why cater to them? come up with "non-gamer" apps (like news and weather) to pull in people who wouldn't normally buy a wii, and then add the DS stuff later to make them say, "whoa, maybe i should buy a DS too." flaunting DS connectivity at this point would make it seem MORE like a video game system and LESS like a family entertainment unit.

of course they're going to do connectivity. they just don't want to play all their cards at once.

You can't store things on the DS so your ideas are all dead.

Plus the DS as a controler will most likely happen, even through it's a huge mistake just like the GC-GBA conection.

[quote name='David85']You can't store things on the DS so your ideas are all dead.

Plus the DS as a controler will most likely happen, even through it's a huge mistake just like the GC-GBA conection.[/QUOTE]

Actually for the VC games they wouldnt need to store the games, just DL and erase once the system is truned off, just like the current demo stations.

For Mii's on DS games, the game itself would need to capture the Mii and store it internally.

Both reasonable.

I'm sure nintendo could add storage to the DS (through the ds slot or gba slot) but i doubt they will do VC games on the DS this generation, since they would need away of keeping us from downloading games on to multiple DSs from one Wii. Also if the added strorage and it would probably make homebrew for the DS easier.

[quote name='foltzie']Actually for the VC games they wouldnt need to store the games, just DL and erase once the system is truned off, just like the current demo stations.[/QUOTE]
That is just a stupid idea. I don't see any point in playing them on the DS if you can't leave the house with them. You might as well play them on the Wii instead.

[quote name='Chibi_Kaji']That is just a stupid idea. I don't see any point in playing them on the DS if you can't leave the house with them. You might as well play them on the Wii instead.[/quote]Close the lid, problem solved. :)

I'm fairly certain that the DS2 will have access to download GB, GBC, and GBA games (and maybe Game Gear, Lynx, etc.) via it's own virtual console, and still allow DS1 carts to be played.

The VC is a big test for Nintendo. It will work well and they will better implement it, but to be done well on a handheld, we need a little more than what the DS itself has to offer.

[quote name='Chibi_Kaji']That is just a stupid idea. I don't see any point in playing them on the DS if you can't leave the house with them. You might as well play them on the Wii instead.[/QUOTE]

Your DS automatically goes into sleep mode when you close the system and uses little power. From my perspective its a reasonable idea since the DS doenst have internal flash RAM.

You would just be restricted to that one game. The best idea? Not in this age of flash cards and emulators, but reasonable.

[quote name='foltzie']Your DS automatically goes into sleep mode when you close the system and uses little power. From my perspective its a reasonable idea since the DS doenst have internal flash RAM.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I know that. But even then it makes no sense. How many people are going to leave their DS in sleep mode for an extended period of time when on a trip or something? And then what about saving progress?

To everyone who's saying "DS has no internal memory":

Inevitably.. well, hopefully the DS MP3 player is released in the US. When that happens, the accessory could use its SD slot for the VC function. The emulators could be held on the cart, with the games being uploaded to the DS's internal memory while being played. In the case of games that save, they could save right onto the SD card. Win!

Unlikely as that is, it would be a perfect solution.

[quote name='David85']You can't store things on the DS so your ideas are all dead.

Plus the DS as a controler will most likely happen, even through it's a huge mistake just like the GC-GBA conection.[/quote]

There is no long term storage on the DS, but they could release a DS cart that has reusable memory to allow for downloading VC games. I think it could be pretty cool.

I think they could also pretty easily design games that would allow the download/saving of Miis for use in the games.

As far as DS as a Wii controller, I have mixed feelings. The DS userbase is huge, but if they make DS ownership a requirement for a game, it would still limit sales of the game. If they make DS functionality optional for a game, then what is the point of including it at all? I see it being used in a few first party games, but no widespread use.

Would be nice to see Demos of GC games hit the VC for free. Like XBL it will instantly let ppl know what games are for them. Plus N has never had a way to get their demos like OXM or OPM or XBL. I would love to see that come to this system.

[quote name='Chibi_Kaji']Yeah, I know that. But even then it makes no sense. How many people are going to leave their DS in sleep mode for an extended period of time when on a trip or something? And then what about saving progress?[/QUOTE]

Well I said resonable, and not ideal. I leave my DS on sleep mode for days at a time, of course I have bad ADD and get distracted by shinny things.

daroga probably nailed the correct answer, the DS2 or Gameboy Next will have built in VC functionality.

Selling a seperate cart (Nintendo's own flash solution), is an option, but it seems like one heck of a longshot.

[quote name='Chacrana']If you want Nintendo to get their priorities straight, you should've said that they need to release something decent before the end of next fucking year.[/QUOTE]

Wario Ware. Nuff Said.

[quote name='Chibi_Kaji']Yeah, I know that. But even then it makes no sense. How many people are going to leave their DS in sleep mode for an extended period of time when on a trip or something? And then what about saving progress?[/QUOTE]

Tons of people do. That's how the download stations for demos work.

As far as saves go, the vast majority of games on the Virtual Console never had save points in the first place. Your point is valid for N64 games but less so for everything else. I personally would love to be able to play NES/SNES/TG16/Genesis games on my DS, I just don't know how feasible it would be. The Wii already has all of its emulation built it. With the DS, you'd probably have to download an optimized emulator every time.

[quote name='guessed']
As far as DS as a Wii controller, I have mixed feelings. The DS userbase is huge, but if they make DS ownership a requirement for a game, it would still limit sales of the game. If they make DS functionality optional for a game, then what is the point of including it at all? I see it being used in a few first party games, but no widespread use.[/quote]

As I said in the original post they should make it as a special control option and not as a requirement.

A flash memory card made by nintendo would work pretty well. Even 128megs would be enough to put a snes game and a few nes games on there. That would eliminate the save problems.

What I would also like is for Nintendo to allow the DS to act as a microphone when you play online on the Wii. Sure the mic isn't the best quality, but its better then paying extra for another one. Perhaps the screens can even play a role when playing online...

Wow. After all the crap Nintendo got for focusing on connectivity and not an online element, Nintendo "needs to get its priorities straight" ... by focusing on connectivity and not the online element.

Wow. I don't actually think connectivity is a bad idea if done right, but ... wow. Shine on, you crazy diamond.

I do not - repeat, DO NOT - want to have to invest in three DS's just so I can play a decent multiplayer game of the next Crystal Chronicles.

The DS2 should have connectivity and come with a built in MP3 player/hard drive that you can store tunes on and play VC games on. Nintendo should launch Nintunes which will be both a channel on the Wii and a software app on the computer. Then allow MP3s to play off the DS2 wirelessly on tvs through the wii. Apple's click wheel can go fuck themselves if they think it can compete with the DS touch screen.

Although I'm still convinced that Apple and Nintendo will team up. I don't think Nintendo wants to compete with the iPod.

nintendo would need to update their firmware to play the vc games. if they end up letting us store vc games on the ds there would probably be some kind of extra cart we would have to buy.

but really, the wii just came out, a month ago. most of the games are gc ports and i would expect that by the end of next year there will be a few games that use the ds somehow.

You want to know what priority Nintendo needs to address first.... no, do you folks REALLY want to know what priority they need to address first...

No, you need to know.

And that is....

THEY NEED TO GET MORE SYSTEMS OUT SO PEOPLE CAN BUY THE fuckING THING.

Everything else (outside of the straps) is secondary at the time.

bread's done
Back