Nintendo needs to rethink console sales

ElektroDragon

CAGiversary!
I believe they should just get out of the retail channel for hardware sales and simply sell direct.  Instead of pre-orders, they should send transferable vouchers to to everyone registered with a Nintendo ID, one per account, for starters, which is then redeemable for a console which they hold in reserve for everyone with a voucher for a set period of time.  This would ensure that practically everyone who wants the console gets one, and keep the stock mostly out of the hands of resellers and scalpers.  Sure, they could release to the retail channel too, but hold some in reserve for actual fans.

The retail channel has gone completely out of control in recent years with almost every traditional retailer opening up their sites to resellers, and those guys are only slightly better than scalpers.  Before a couple of years ago you would NEVER be able to go sites like Amazon, Walmart, etc and see consoles for sale well above MSRP.  The big retailers have to follow the rules, but the damn resellers don't!  And don't even get me started on eBay scalpers.

Sorry guys, but enough is enough.  I tried and couldn't get a NES Classic for MSRP.  I tried and couldn't get a SNES Classic for MSRP, and odds are slim I will now.  And I've tried to get a Switch for months at MSRP as well, not possible.  And I'm very internet shopping savvy!  Imagine all the poor folks who aren't! I'm also not a "huge" Nintendo fan either.... imagine those poor saps who are!

The dumb part is that all the time and effort spend by these resellers and scalpers would likely pay off much more if they just did something sane that didn't impact other people's enjoyment.... like investing in the stock market!

/rant over

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess they could just sell the new consoles ONLY from their website, limit one per person.  Retailers probably won't care much, they don't make any money at all form just the console sale(the bundles are another story)

I guess they could just sell the new consoles ONLY from their website, limit one per person. Retailers probably won't care much, they don't make any money at all form just the console sale(the bundles are another story)
retailers care ALOT.
all that foot traffic in their stores, people buying other items even if the console isnt in stock. people also tend to buy a game or two plus an accessory to go along with their console. Places like target hoping that large purchase is placed on their credit card so they can collect bonus interest.

Nintendo wouldn't do that OP, they rather get paid asap than delay their profits.

they also get to not deal with stuff like customer returns,scams, unpaid preorders, & creating an entire infrastructure to sell stuff directly.

I think if they had stock readily available they would never get this attention. Take amiibo's. If that first wave was produced in say infinity or Skylander quantities, would there been that craze? I mean they are cool and all but they don't do that much to enhance game's. They were hard to get and thus created artificial hype by people looking for them, not finding them and the reselling wheel started rolling. Same with NES classic. Many on this forum figured meh when it went up for pre order. Then it got released with low quantities and people wanted them, couldn't find them and the wheel rolls on. More people start looking to resell and Bam. Here we are.

I believe they should just get out of the retail channel for hardware sales and simply sell direct. Instead of pre-orders, they should send transferable vouchers to to everyone registered with a Nintendo ID, one per account, for starters, which is then redeemable for a console which they hold in reserve for everyone with a voucher for a set period of time. This would ensure that practically everyone who wants the console gets one, and keep the stock mostly out of the hands of resellers and scalpers. Sure, they could release to the retail channel too, but hold some in reserve for actual fans.

The retail channel has gone completely out of control in recent years with almost every traditional retailer opening up their sites to resellers, and those guys are only slightly better than scalpers. Before a couple of years ago you would NEVER be able to go sites like Amazon, Walmart, etc and see consoles for sale well above MSRP. The big retailers have to follow the rules, but the damn resellers don't! And don't even get me started on eBay scalpers.

Sorry guys, but enough is enough. I tried and couldn't get a NES Classic for MSRP. I tried and couldn't get a SNES Classic for MSRP, and odds are slim I will now. And I've tried to get a Switch for months at MSRP as well, not possible. And I'm very internet shopping savvy! Imagine all the poor folks who aren't! I'm also not a "huge" Nintendo fan either.... imagine those poor saps who are!

The dumb part is that all the time and effort spend by these resellers and scalpers would likely pay off much more if they just did something sane that didn't impact other people's enjoyment.... like investing in the stock market!

/rant over
Sorry but this just sounds ilke a woman bitching. Im a normal consumer and wasnt able to nab a Mini NES either but I'm not going to start thinking that its the retailers/resellers/scalpers fault this is the market we live in these days, Adjust or dont complain is my theory. Im sure ill get shit on for this post but whatever im a grumpy old man who really dont give AF lol.

Wait a second, I was with the OP until I read this:

And I've tried to get a Switch for months at MSRP as well, not possible. And I'm very internet shopping savvy! Imagine all the poor folks who aren't! I'm also not a "huge" Nintendo fan either.... imagine those poor saps who are!
Just last week all gamestops had an unexpected restock, anyone could go into a gamestop and purchase a switch at msrp. I got one, it's a fun system. It did sell out a few days later, but they definitely are getting restocks. It was just the system, no bundle. I don't think you are trying that hard, in fact, you can go into ANY gamestop right now and pre order a switch for the next shipment, they have that listed on their website, so don't start saying "it's impossible to get a switch at msrp right now", that's bullshit. Anyone can go in and put in a pre order at gamestop, but note: some gamestops are still just doing bundles for the switch, not all are just selling the console for $300+ tax

Yesterday I saw Switches in Target and TRU. This was in Cincinnati Ohio and Columbus Ohio. They do not last long but they are out there.

There were definitely multiple days where I saw switches behind the glass at multiple targets and toys rus the past week or two.  Even neons.  Unless there was some region that didn't partake in the party, almost anyone could have got one then if they have a few of those stores within driving distance. No internet savvy required!

I was also one of the people who meh'd the nintendo classic at launch and vowed to wait until it goes on sale because $2 per game for emulation I can do for free is too much.  Scarcity/reselling prices/online hype does wonders for sales and can easily influence simple-minded cretans like me.

The mental gymnastics some folks do... I didn't get an SNES Classic so Nintendo should drop what they're doing and completely upend their business because I didn't get what I want! You do realize this kind of sold out demand for their products is exactly what they want, right?

And I've tried to get a Switch for months at MSRP as well, not possible.
Like someone else already said, you aren't trying very hard.

Also, a 10-second "Best Match" search on eBay shows brand-new Switch systems for $359.80 (free shipping). This might not even be the cheapest price.

I don't know what the sales-tax rate is in your area, but let's say it's 8 percent. At MSRP plus tax, you'd spend $323.99. That's only $35.81 less than the eBay price.

If you must have a Switch now, just pay the measly extra $35.81 and shut your hole. If you can't afford an extra $35.81, then you have bigger problems than not having a Switch. If you won't buy from eBay because of some principle, then that's your problem. Liberate yourself.

Like someone else already said, you aren't trying very hard.

Also, a 10-second "Best Match" search on eBay shows brand-new Switch systems for $359.80 (free shipping). This might not even be the cheapest price.

I don't know what the sales-tax rate is in your area, but let's say it's 8 percent. At MSRP plus tax, you'd spend $323.99. That's only $35.81 less than the eBay price.

If you must have a Switch now, just pay the measly extra $35.81 and shut your hole. If you can't afford an extra $35.81, then you have bigger problems than not having a Switch. If you won't buy from eBay because of some principle, then that's your problem. Liberate yourself.
Dude, why even do that? Just go into any gamestop, pre order a switch by putting some money down, and then they call you when it comes in stock in a few days(maybe a week tops?).

ANYONE can do this if they really want a switch(and it's at msrp as well)

Dude, why even do that? Just go into any gamestop, pre order a switch by putting some money down, and then they call you when it comes in stock in a few days(maybe a week tops?).

ANYONE can do this if they really want a switch(and it's at msrp as well)
Good call. Like I said, the other guy isn't trying very hard.

OK OK... I tried harder, and scored the Switch I wanted at Target last night for MSRP - 5%.  So I'm happy.  But I had been checking Targets weekly and nada.  The gaming gods must have listened to my complaints.  So yes fine, burn it with fire.

Still not thrilled about the SNES or original NES Classic situation though.... those would have been great for my kid.

Nintendo just can't change up their supply chain like that. They are built to get large amounts of goods to retailers who then handle individual sales. Not to mention they need to have a relationship with retailers to get their product sold. If they only sold online everyone on this forum would know exactly where to go to get it. But Nintendo wants those little kids walking around with their parents to spot their stuff and ask for it on the spot too. I missed an NES classic, but I got lucky with the SNES and I got a Switch on release from Amazon. It isn't impossible to get their stuff and changing it up to the system you described would hurt Nintendo in the long run.

Nintendo's lost me this console generation. The Wii U has me apprehensive about buying another system from them... I don't want to spend another $300 on a console that's just going to spin its wheels for five years. The Switch is selling better, sure, but by how much? And for how long?

What Nintendo has been doing with the plug and plays is a disgrace. I was interested in the NES Classic, but I won't even bother with the Super NES Classic unless it's handed to me. There are plenty of other ways to play the games on that system anyway, like... oh... the actual Super NES.

Nintendo's lost me this console generation. The Wii U has me apprehensive about buying another system from them... I don't want to spend another $300 on a console that's just going to spin its wheels for five years. The Switch is selling better, sure, but by how much? And for how long?

What Nintendo has been doing with the plug and plays is a disgrace. I was interested in the NES Classic, but I won't even bother with the Super NES Classic unless it's handed to me. There are plenty of other ways to play the games on that system anyway, like... oh... the actual Super NES.
It's amazing that a company will stop producing a product that they can't keep on the shelves. Do they not enjoy making money? There really is know hope for the snes classic stock situation either, it is still fairly difficult to find a switch in my area.

And why wouldn't they add cartridge slots on them? Many people have collections that they would love to play on their hdmi tvs. It's almost like they want people to use emulators.

bread's done
Back