Nintendo NX is officially launching in March 2017, won't be shown at E3

The ergonomics and marketing of the NX will be vital. How bulky is it? Do the two controller halves connect? Are they just to enable two-player gaming on the go, and is there a separate home controller? What kind of screen? Does the dock have extra hardware to bump up the resolution for the TV? If so, can the dock be upgraded to eventually support bigger, home-only games? Will the fast loading times of cartridges be emphasized? Will western third parties finally be turned off of Nintendo hardware completely because of the more complex concept and higher cost of cartridges? Will it have a very low price point to compensate if that happens? Will Nintendo even need western third parties anymore thanks to merged first-party output?

I see ways that this can succeed, but they have to get it just right.

Perfect design/target audience + increased mindshare thanks to mobile + killer Q3 2017 game lineup could = $$$$$

Wow... if that's accurate then I'm kinda surprised by what it is. It seems like they're trying to appeal to the mobile crowd but I can't imagine someone who games on the go would want to have this in addition to their phone/tablet... unless this has functions similar to a phone/tablet but even then, this seems too clumsy for that with the detachable controllers and all.  

EDIT* I guess it's also worth considering the benefits of the platform being so similar to mobile... Android games could probably be ported over fairly easily. 

Last edited by a moderator:
cmon Nintendo...you KNOW what we wanted...you KNOW what would have sold...why are you giving us another gimmicky 'casual gamer' system?? 

I'll buy it no matter what...but now Im actually worried for them. I think this will definitely be Wii U mark 2...

If theres anything that the console past has taught us, its that a console with little to no third party support does NOT last very long...

If theres anything that the console past has taught us, its that a console with little to no third party support does NOT last very long...
This is partially because the first-party can't produce their own games fast enough. Now their handheld division is making console games...

This announcement has two red flags for me.

First of all the specs. While I am not expecting a juggernaut, is having a mobile processor really that good? I don't know how the Tegra line of chips hold up to the 3DS but I am worried that this will cater to more simple mobile type games which I don't want. I have an android phone if I want to play simple mobile games.

Second is the design. I want this to fit in my pocket or at least a small backpack compartment like the 3DS/XL does. Something that I can take on the go. I don't want some huge experience that I need a bigger bag to carry around to bring the system along. If that's the case I would just not bring it.

Other than that, I am feeling alright about the system. I do however love I can dock it to a bigger screen. If they had a 3DS XL Sized console that I could dock, I would be very happy. My biggest problem with the 3DS XL is that while I love the system some times at home I feel I would rather play on a bigger screen (computer monitor or TV).

Some of the negativity I'm seeing regarding the Eurogamer speculation is astonishing.  First, THIS news isn't *really* news.  Anyone who has been reading about the NX to date knows that this was a very likely and reasonable direction for the next Nintendo hardware.  I don't think any Nintendo player put much credence into those rumors that the NX would shoot for power parity with Sony and Microsoft.  The primary motivation behind people who wanted the NX to be uber-powerful were those 30-somethings who pined for the days when Nintendo was "king" of the video game industry.  

This notion that powerful consoles win console wars is just false.  We know that this is the first generation in a long time in which the exception became reality, but whatever you believe, power alone is NOT why PS4 is outselling the Xbox One.  There are a lot of other poor marketing/technical problems with the Xbox One that has led to the huge sales divide.  Power is just one factor.

Last gen, the Wii cleaned up; the gen before that, the PS2 won; and before that, the PSX.  In every one of those instances, the competition had stronger consoles.  Heck, that even plays out in handheld.  PSP and the Vita were always stronger machines, but neither could do much to steal market-share from Nintendo's GBA, DS and 3DS.

I view this move as a smart (and natural) one from Nintendo.  People/critics have to understand Nintendo has *never* cared much for third parties.  Unlike Sony or Microsoft, Nintendo is first and foremost a SOFTWARE developer.   It makes the most money from its software.  In other words, Nintendo is far more interested in making a system for ITS games, not companies which are effectively its competition.  Does Nintendo need some third-party support?  Sure.  But do we REALLY need a THIRD PlayStation or Xbox?  No.  Two consoles on that front are plenty enough.  I honestly have no doubt that if Nintendo tries to compete on power, that the NX will be a flaming disaster.  Nintendo's aim is to re-capture young players and appease its core base; merging the handheld and the home console into one platform is the best and most effective way to set about accomplishing that goal.

The Wii U's principle offense was not a lack of good software, but a lack of timely delivered software.  There were too many release deserts.  With game development costs and complexities rising, this generation showed Nintendo is UNABLE to support two platforms.  Had games like Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon and Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds been on Wii U, there is no debate that the system would have done better.

Nintendo's approach has *always* been to make compelling software on its system such that it essentially forces third parties to make games for it.  The Wii was, IMHO, an atrocious console (honestly hated it), but when you sell 100 million machines, there is no way third parties can NOT make games for it.  The same goes for Gamecube.  During the 360 generation, Square Enix had little desire to make games for the system, but given the 360's penetration in North America, business sense (as it often does) overpowered time-honored allegiances.  

Unifying Nintendo handheld studios with its console game makers *should* mean a LOT more games for the NX.  A steady diet of releases will ensure the NX has more Mario, more Zelda, and just more of all of its usually stellar games.  

We should expect the NX to be competitively priced for young gamers to sign on, and if Nintendo can migrate even a fraction of the DS/3DS audience (which, face it, we KNOW it will), and can get the core Nintendo players (~10 million based on Wii U sales) to come back, the NX should be fine.  Will it be Wii-level success?  Time will tell, but the Wii was lightning/alchemy; no one should expect the NX to be that.  The NX should easily be able to sell through 10-20 million in its first 2-3 years.  It should, if Nintendo plays this right, do far better than the Xbox One.

Microsoft's messaging with Scorpio/Slim has been a muddled fiasco.  It's not clear how well Sony will communicate/handle the upcoming NEO and VR platforms.  Nintendo seems to have learned to stick with a SIMPLE, CLEAN message.  A handheld/home console with games like Metroid, Mario, and Zelda out-of-the-gate will sell well.  If it is a Spring 2017 launch, it will be a slow burn, but so was the DS/3DS.

Those who keep insisting Nintendo go full third-party need to take another look at what the success of Pokemon GO ultimately means.  Nintendo's stock took a nosedive because as successful as games like GO might be, the lion's share of those profits end up going to the platform distributor (e.g. Apple got $30 million of GO's revenue).  In terms of using mobile to give a "small" taste of Nintendo brands, that makes sense, but the realities of the mobile business show why a Nintendo proprietary machine almost assuredly the more lucrative option for the company (at least for now and the near future).

Bottom-line: The unified platform for Nintendo makes a whole lot of sense, and is welcome, smart news.  All the doom and gloom over it is largely misplaced.  The industry panned Nintendo's DS and Wii, and we know the Big N proved the so-called experts and pundits wrong.   The Wii U, on the other hand, didn't work - but that's in large part because even Nintendo never quite grasped what the heck that gamepad was meant to do.

For all the "gimmicky" accusations being leveled at the NX, if you think about it, the console sounds VERY simple.  It is essentially a traditional console you can seamlessly carry around.  That's a SIMPLE message.  Hardly the confusing "new way" to play like the Wii or Wii U.  

Marketed right, the NX will do fine.  I actually hope Nintendo does nothing more crazy than what we've seen from Eurogamer.  If I can play the next amazing handheld games at-home on TV, and take the next awesome console game on-the-go, the NX may finally deliver that simple dream many gamers have been wanting for some time.  

As you can tell by now, I'm pretty excited :)

It's true Nintendo has to do something different to compete but I just can't see very many people seeing this and wanting one for it's mobile capabilities, especially if it's any larger than something that would fit into a pocket. Take that away and it's basically a under-powered home console based on a much different platform than the X86 based PS4/X1, so third parties will once again be faced with similar challenges to those of the Wii/Wii U. 

I wonder what they'll end up calling it though? I hope they keep NX. 

Who knows if this guy is right about this, but interesting if so...

https://twitter.com/Tenkay23/status/757805585190445056

https://twitter.com/Tenkay23/status/758138863931891713

https://twitter.com/Tenkay23/status/758139035638337536

I remember reading a lot of rumors that the NX would be as powerful as current gen consoles... but the leaked specs simply don't seem to back that up. 

I'm wondering if the "dock" is the actual console... meaning what Eurogamer's revealed is just the details on the handheld part. The dock might be something more powerful to allow for better graphics and whatnot. 

It's true Nintendo has to do something different to compete but I just can't see very many people seeing this and wanting one for it's mobile capabilities, especially if it's any larger than something that would fit into a pocket. Take that away and it's basically a under-powered home console based on a much different platform than the X86 based PS4/X1, so third parties will once again be faced with similar challenges to those of the Wii/Wii U.

I wonder what they'll end up calling it though? I hope they keep NX.
I actually think they might do ok because it's underpowered. Look at the 3DS. Since development costs will be way cheaper than the PS4/One, they might actually be able to create more content or at least have more developers make content for it.

I actually think they might do ok because it's underpowered. Look at the 3DS. Since development costs will be way cheaper than the PS4/One, they might actually be able to create more content or at least have more developers make content for it.
The under-powered part isn't the problem, the different platform is. The X1 and PS4 as basically same, and additionally, they're both pretty much the same as PCs (some would even say they're under-powered PCs). That's not the case with the NX. If a third party wants to make a multi-platform game, their work will be pretty much the same across the PS4, X1 and PC, but completely different on the NX. I'm not sure if the counter argument could be made for an Android developer... as Android platforms aren't unified (like iOS is) but I'd imagine having Tegra would make it fairly easy to take an Android game and port it to the NX.

I mean, all of this is gonna be irrelevant if the NX sells well so third party developers pretty much have to either wait a few months and see how it goes, or take a risk and hope it sells well (in which case, they'd benefit from an early presence).

The under-powered part isn't the problem, the different platform is. The X1 and PS4 as basically same, and additionally, they're both pretty much the same as PCs (some would even say they're under-powered PCs). That's not the case with the NX. If a third party wants to make a multi-platform game, their work will be pretty much the same across the PS4, X1 and PC, but completely different on the NX. I'm not sure if the counter argument could be made for an Android developer... as Android platforms aren't unified (like iOS is) but I'd imagine having Tegra would make it fairly easy to take an Android game and port it to the NX.

I mean, all of this is gonna be irrelevant if the NX sells well so third party developers pretty much have to either wait a few months and see how it goes, or take a risk and hope it sells well (in which case, they'd benefit from an early presence).
Honestly at this point until I see that the specs are more powerful than a Tegra, I am considering this more so the next 3DS and not the new big console. I was thinking this would get the 3DS style of games which are usually different than console games and generally cheaper to produce.

If this is *the* replacement to the 3DS/2DS, and they pump out the amount of games for NX that they've done on their handhelds, this could be interesting.  3rd parties have never had a problem signing on for the handheld lines.  (Yes, there were droughts at the beginning of the DS and 3DS launches.)

I play almost no handheld games on the go.  I do have the handheld systems, but the majority are played on the couch.  So if the rumors are true, and I can play a full version Pokemon game on the couch *or* outside, I'm excited for that.

This is an intersting rumor. It also makes quite a bit of sense. The biggest advantage for Nintendo would be a consolidation of their development resources. Nintendo's internal game development has always been one of their biggest strengths. While their hardware design tends to be solid as well, people don't buy Nintendo systems for the hardware. They buy them to play Nintendo games.

They could also potentially benefit from providing an alternative to the current App-Store infrastructure. While Android and iOS tablets are appealing, their stores are cluttered with free-to-play money sinks and shovelware. By making them less tightly regulated, they've also made discoverability and quality control very real issues.

One of the big issues with such a proposed system would be the competition it would be facing. Shifting slightly away from the more traditional home console model for a more mobile form-factor brings you out of competition with the likes of Microsoft and Sony. But it places you in direct competition with the likes of Android tablets and Apple. That's not an easy space to be in.

This is all speculation for the time being. Until we get actual confirmation from Nintendo it's all just rumors. But this particular approach actually strikes me as fairly plausible. I'm especially curious about the controls, and how they would lock onto the sides. I could see some real interesting possibilities for custom control schemes. I wonder if they would design the control panels so that you could swap which side they were attached to?

I'm actually curious about one thing, the NX is about 8 months from release... and officially we know nothing about the system. Was it like this for any of the current or last gen systems? I feel like we knew a decent chunk of info at least a year before the system release but I can't say for sure, obviously. 

officially we know nothing about the system. Was it like this for any of the current or last gen systems?
No, they've definitely been sitting on this one. They "announced" the Wii quite a bit earlier in the cycle than this, ditto for the Wii U. Now, you could say that their projected launch of Spring 2017 might be a pipe dream, and it will actually launch later than that. I would not be surprised if that projected launch window gets pushed back.

All the same, Nintendo has been mum about this thing for much longer than I would have expected. Nintendo has a reputation for keeping a lid on things quite a bit more effectively than Sony or Microsoft. So it's not surprising that they have managed to prevent details from leaking out for as long as they have. It's just surprising that they've chosen to keep it under wraps this long.

At some point they are going to have to make an announcement. You have to ramp up marketing for something like this, as well as free up partners and third-party developers to talk about what they've been working on. You can't sit on something like this right up until launch.

If this is *the* replacement to the 3DS/2DS, and they pump out the amount of games for NX that they've done on their handhelds, this could be interesting. 3rd parties have never had a problem signing on for the handheld lines. (Yes, there were droughts at the beginning of the DS and 3DS launches.)

I play almost no handheld games on the go. I do have the handheld systems, but the majority are played on the couch. So if the rumors are true, and I can play a full version Pokemon game on the couch *or* outside, I'm excited for that.
If they can make Zelda play on a handheld and look like that it would be amazing.

Plus like ou said. The issue was when the Wii U failed Nintendo still made 2-3 games a year for it, but pumped out games for the 3DS because the user base is/was so much higher. If Nintendo can make one system that can do both for $200-$300 dollars people might buy it more. And Nintendo can only worry about a useable for one console so then they can make more games for it, more games equal more people buying.

I'm VERY interested in this game console if it turns out to be true and not at all in the Xbox or PS.

But Apple sits on things until right at launch and seems to sell a crap ton of the same crap. :) I just hope this time Nintendo actually shows an ad for the NX (Which I also hope they keep the name.).

If they can make Zelda play on a handheld and look like that it would be amazing.

Plus like ou said. The issue was when the Wii U failed Nintendo still made 2-3 games a year for it, but pumped out games for the 3DS because the user base is/was so much higher. If Nintendo can make one system that can do both for $200-$300 dollars people might buy it more. And Nintendo can only worry about a useable for one console so then they can make more games for it, more games equal more people buying.

I'm VERY interested in this game console if it turns out to be true and not at all in the Xbox or PS.

But Apple sits on things until right at launch and seems to sell a crap ton of the same crap. :) I just hope this time Nintendo actually shows an ad for the NX (Which I also hope they keep the name.).
I almost want the new NX to be a $250 Handheld. For a few good reasons.

First of all I don't need another mega powerful system. I have a PS4, XOne, PC. Don't want to pay $400 for another huge powerful system just so I can play Mario. Honestly I am fine with a lower powered system that is like the 3DS because it has a lot of good games, and the games are reasonably cheap.

I would almost rather Nintendo just put all development into the NX and make it an amazing experience. Nintendo does best when it's not trying to compete and say what you want about the Wii, but look how many units it sold and it ran at 480p. Nintendo was never trying to compete with handhelds either, it did it's own thing and it worked out for them. I think the NX will be the same.

I almost want the new NX to be a $250 Handheld.
If the NX ends up being some manner of tablet, I would expect the final price to be north of $250. Think more along the lines of $350-$400, maybe even higher if the specs warrant it. The NX would only need to be comparable to the Wii U in terms of raw power. But if they go with a partially-portable format, they will have to pay extra to squeeze that kind of power into a much smaller form-factor, even with the advances in technology. And powerful tablets aren't cheap.

But that is still speculation, so who can say? Perhaps more tellingly, today's Nintendo Direct helps to hammer home the fact that the Wii U is likely on its way out. A 3DS-focused Nintendo direct at this time of the year, so close to the holidays, with still no news on major holiday releases for the Wii U aside from Zelda? It's smelling more and more that the new Zelda title will be the Wii U's last beleaguered hurrah. This little console that could is going to be bowing out soon.

For anyone who hasn't gotten a Wii U yet, the next two years will likely be one of the best possible times to jump in. If the NX is even moderately successful, the used game stores and retailers will all dump their Wii U stock as fast as they can, and the prices for the hardware will bottom out during this period. That will be the time to pick one up on the cheap. Nintendo has also done everyone the favor of expanding on their "best-of" line just in time for this transition. Quite a few of the games that are showing up in that line are highly desirable, and their best-of status will keep their retail prices at $20 each or lower during this time-frame. So for anyone looking to play these games, you will be able to get them for reasonable prices, without having to worry about paying crazy after-market prices for out-of-print titles.

While the abandonment of the Wii U is a sad time for faithful Nintendo fans, it's a golden period for collectors looking to save some money.

Didn't the 3DS launch at $250? That went well... 

I'm still surprised we have no concrete info on the system. Then again, the Neo is coming out before the end of the year and we don't know anything about that either, outside of rumors. 

bread's done
Back