Nintendo Power Archive, a CAG project !!!

gigantor1313

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
I've been thinking about archiving my Nintendo Power collection (1-100 + 4-7 of Nintendo Fun Club News) for a little while now. I would love to convert them to .cbr or .pdf as they would take up very little room on my hard drive and let me leave my collection in their plastic prisons inside a Magazine box. Does anyone want to join me and preserve Nintendo Power? I'm not sure exactly how to do this, but I figured it would be a great project for CAG to start and enjoy. As I said, I've got 1-100 and 4-7 of Nintendo Fun Club. If people want to start 1-3 of Fun Club and 101- current, I'm sure we can make a library of great Nintendo articles.

Oh, if only I was still in America... I have every issue of Nintendo Power up until now, though I'm lacking any of the Fun Club newsletters. I would've been happy to get in on this.

Unfortunately I only have the more recent issues here (last two years maybe?). Have a few years worth from the 90s at home if I go there anytime soon and we need to fill in some gaps.

Does anyone have any links to websites that can tell me what I need to do this? Ive got a scanner but not sure where to go as far as converting everything into a .cbr or .pdf. Good responses so far as far as intrest in the project goes!

Acrobat (not reader) can do that for you. If size is an issue, you're probably better off going with just saving them as high resolution jpeg images. PDF is short for "Portable Document Format" because it's really intended for making a myriad of filetypes viewable on any computer. For example, someone with Acrobat Reader can View Photoshop, Illustrator, or Quark, or Word documents that have been saved as PDF, even if they don't own those programs.

You won't get the same quality with jpg, but for the quantity of images you're talking about, I'd say it's the best way to go. Keep the resolution around 200-300 dpi and they'll be plenty readable.

This is already being done through out the net. I'm not going to post any links because I'm not sure if that breaks TOS here, but just google it.

Retromags.com has already archived up to issue 150, I think, as well as other magazines. They're always looking for a few good scanners and cleaners, though, so if you're interested in helping, you should definitely contact them.

I have to say that is a great idea. I'd like to do something like that with all my EGM mags (I have every issue since july 2001)

I was thinking about starting something like this for a long time, but I really don't have anytime to put them up or keep up the archives. I just have to say good luck, because it would be awesome. If it takes off, you could go for EGM or GameFan or something.

Good luck.

[quote name='whitereflection']Retromags.com has already archived up to issue 150, I think, as well as other magazines. They're always looking for a few good scanners and cleaners, though, so if you're interested in helping, you should definitely contact them.[/QUOTE]

I may not be looking in the right place, but it seems they only have the covers scanned.

Now, don't get me wrong... I'm all for this. Sounds really cool. But I'd be careful. Wouldn't posting them on the net (the whole issue, not just the cover), lead to copyright violations?? I don't know much about copyright laws and stuff, but seems like you'd be hearing from Nintendo if you did this.

[quote name='Warner1281']Now, don't get me wrong... I'm all for this. Sounds really cool. But I'd be careful. Wouldn't posting them on the net (the whole issue, not just the cover), lead to copyright violations?? I don't know much about copyright laws and stuff, but seems like you'd be hearing from Nintendo if you did this.[/quote]

Yea I guess so, I don't want Nintendo to bust in on me Elien Gonzalez style and knock my block off for scanning Legend of Zelda pages from the 80's. BTW, I'm sure I know what you talking about hiccupleftovers, but what is TOS? I'm not all to familar with that abbreviation. Excuse my noobiness.

The entire collection (including Nintendo Fun Club News letters) has been circulating around various Bit Torrent sites for some time now.

[quote name='gigantor1313']but what is TOS? I'm not all to familar with that abbreviation. Excuse my noobiness.[/quote]
Terms of Service.

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']I may not be looking in the right place, but it seems they only have the covers scanned.[/QUOTE]

They host the files on torrent sites, especially the ones where there are small novas and pirates by the bay. You also won't find any issues from within the last five years.

As much as I love EGM today, those old EGMs of the pre-Dreamcast era are pretty fucking horrible. Anything with Ed Semrad involved, bless his crazy cantankerous heart is bad. Sushi-X is also a good indicator that this is a rag of dog poop.

The layouts are an exercise in how not to use quarkXpress and every other damn sentence in the magazine has an exclamation mark! and the reviews make no damn sense! and like there's covers of Aero the Acrobat! fuck yeah!

bread's done
Back