Nintendo Power Pokes Fun at Earthbound Fans

As much as I'm on the dying-to-see-Earthbound-on-VC bandwagon, there's something vituperatively fucking hilarious about Nintendo's attitude toward Earthbound fans.

Once again myke has increased my vocab.

vituperative - Using, containing, or marked by harshly abusive censure. Synonym: scathing

I am so going to use that on my mom next time she tells me to get a hair cut. :bouncy:

You realize that the way they worded that (relative to previous teasers) makes it at least three times more likely that Mother 3 will in fact be announced next issue/E3.

While the wording somewhat bugs me because - as myke pointed out - their attitude about this game is just borderline abusive (in a fairly mild strain, but still, this is the best one I can use to describe it), I have to focus more on this supposed "we know something you don't" nonsense.

The last time that happened, it was a moon, and ultimately ended up being Castlevania, which people knew about months before and saw brand new information about a week before the issue showed up.

So now I'm thinking....Alright, what games do I know about now that indeed are coming out? Because NP is definitely trying to tease me something that I probably already know about. "Fit for a king?" "Heart?" Picture of a sword? I'm guessing Little King Story, or whatever that game is.

Or maybe they are trying to start a new tradition of telling us we don't know about Castlevania games that we do know about. So it could be this new fighting abortion Konami is all-my-dreams-murdered-in-cold-blood-ily working on.

But hey. Don't let that stop you from pissing in my Earthbound-O's cereal every morning, NP. I'm sure you've got stacks of jokes lined up to keep the party movin'.

[quote name='62t']at this point i hope they dont release it as the fan translation is also done[/quote]

It's not done yet but it will be by the end of the year. I'm a huge Mother fan and I really don't see what the problem is here. Nintendo is never going to release Mother 3 in North America so I've learned to be patient and just wait for the translation. I may as well get upset about the sun rising every morning.

Lol @ fan translations. I played a fan translation of FF4 and it was terrible.

I find this about as funny as CheapyD finds the in-shirt cross media bar funny. "Hahahaha we love ignoring our fans!" I think those hardcore fans could justify a port of the game to WiiWare.

[quote name='DQT']Lol @ fan translations. I played a fan translation of FF4 and it was terrible.[/quote]

This is the same team that translated EB0 with which they did a terrific job. I have no reason to believe that Mother's biggest superfans would screw this up especially gauging the progress already made.

[quote name='cochesecochese']This is the same team that translated EB0 with which they did a terrific job. I have no reason to believe that Mother's biggest superfans would screw this up especially gauging the progress already made.[/QUOTE]

EB0 was officially translated and not fan translated, just never got a release. However the translation group did work on Star Ocean on SNES.

[quote name='62t']EB0 was officially translated and not fan translated, just never got a release. However the translation group did work on Star Ocean on SNES.[/quote]

I stand corrected.

I'll kill these fuckers. :lol:

For anyone holding out hope, I think it's more likely it's Kingdom Hearts-related or some shit. The accompanying picture has absolutely nothing to do with Mother 3. If it turns out to actually be Mother 3 (highly unlikely), they'll have fooled me bigtime.

Reality's Fringe;4540791 said:
fuck Kingdom Hearts, I want Earthbound.

I feel the same way. I want to play this fucker already. It wont be Mother 3 because Earthbound has not been released for some fucking time now since it got rated.

Edit, chances are it is going to be some casual gamer bullshit, you watch.

Some post over at GoNintendo says this is most likely Fire Emblem DS related, since the subtitle of that game mentions a "sword of light."

So hey - 2/2 on NP telling us they have "new" news we knew about months ago.

[quote name='finsfan0210']what makes you guys think it might be KH3?[/QUOTE]

Fit for a king...lots of heart...Mother 3...doesn't take long to put two and two together.

[quote name='Strell']Some post over at GoNintendo says this is most likely Fire Emblem DS related, since the subtitle of that game mentions a "sword of light."

So hey - 2/2 on NP telling us they have "new" news we knew about months ago.[/quote]

Are hearts used as a measure of health in Fire Emblem? Wonder why they threw that in there.

Just for fun, I made this:

NPTeaser2.gif

It's an overlay of the sword from FE DS's boxart + the teaser image (both of which I've placed below in a spoiler).

Doesn't fill me with hope. Yeah, it's not an exact match or anything, and this could be like an SAT math question, and thus nothing drawn to scale, but meh. I just don't count on NP for exclusive info anymore.

FireEmblemBoxart.jpg

NPTeaser.jpg

I'm thinking the wording is meant to imply Kingdom Hearts by using those two words, which are instantly noticeable to the gaming community.

Plus, I'd think you'd want to subtly mention keys somehow. I guess - I guess - that hiding the remainder of the sword is meant to do just that - hide the key shaped part - but that's wild speculation.

Here's the Gonintendo article, just in case.

The recent posts in this thread about Kingdom Hearts reminded me that those games have been in development for a while. It was something like three different Kingdom Hearts games? One for DS, one for PSP, and one for console?

I doubt it's kingdom hearts 3. Square is working on 3 other kingdom hearts games so it wouldn't make sense to kill hype for them before they are released. It's probably something boring that we have known is coming over for awhile.

When was the last time nintendo power actually revealed any good news?

Along with others, first thing I thought was KHIII. "Fit for a king. Has a lot of heart."

Why can't they just translate Mother 3 already!? Argh. Unoficial translation patch is almost done. C'mon Nintendo, let me buy it before they finish!

[quote name='Strell']Some post over at GoNintendo says this is most likely Fire Emblem DS related, since the subtitle of that game mentions a "sword of light."[/quote]

Sorry, Strellie, but I have a hard time believing what Nintendo Power is referencing on the back page isn't about a new Fire Emblem game for the DS. On page 13 of the same issue, NP shows three screenshots of Fire Emblem DS and says,

"...Fire Emblem: Dragons of Darkness and the Blade of Light, a DS remake of the very first Fire Emblem game. If you've ever wondered who Marth was in Super Smash Bros., this game will answer your question -- that is, if we're lucky enough to see it on our shores (no North American announcement has been made). In this DS release, the field map fills the lower screen while the battle animations play out above, and players will be able to skirmish against friends using Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection."

Considering in this article NP claims no North American release has been confirmed, it would be quite strange to change their mind on the last page and claim, "Shhh, we want to say, but we can't really, that Fire Emblem is coming to DS!" Just seems a little wonky.

Yes, fuck kingdom hearts and its baby game anime bullshit. MOTHER 3 GOD DAMN YOU NINTENDO

Just remember, this is the issue that comes out around the time of E3. There could be a huge game announcement we don't know about and the next issue of NP could be the blowout. Maybe we're being too conservative here.

[quote name='Strell']Just for fun, I made this:

NPTeaser2.gif

It's an overlay of the sword from FE DS's boxart + the teaser image (both of which I've placed below in a spoiler).

Doesn't fill me with hope. Yeah, it's not an exact match or anything, and this could be like an SAT math question, and thus nothing drawn to scale, but meh. I just don't count on NP for exclusive info anymore.

FireEmblemBoxart.jpg

NPTeaser.jpg

I'm thinking the wording is meant to imply Kingdom Hearts by using those two words, which are instantly noticeable to the gaming community.

Plus, I'd think you'd want to subtly mention keys somehow. I guess - I guess - that hiding the remainder of the sword is meant to do just that - hide the key shaped part - but that's wild speculation.

Here's the Gonintendo article, just in case.[/quote]
I'll call that and I'll raise you this:
kingdomheartsmuralkd4.jpg

Look at Mickey's ear(s). Now look at the round thing that the sword is supposedly sticking out of in the Nintendo scan.

I propose that they are very similar.

I hope KH3 isn't a Wii game... I was really looking forward to seeing what the PS3 could do with Pixar levels.

I'm guessing they're just talking about Fire Emblem, nonetheless.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']I'll call that and I'll raise you this:
[/QUOTE]

Don't start this game with me. I wouldn't have even made the image if the story from Gonintendo had never surfaced and pointed me toward it.

Already pointed out SAT math question metaphor.

Plus this all is coming entirely from the POV that Nintendo Power doesn't get leaks on shit these days, what with the internets being freely available.

[quote name='Strell']Don't start this game with me. I wouldn't have even made the image if the story from Gonintendo had never surfaced and pointed me toward it.

Plus this all is coming entirely from the POV that Nintendo Power doesn't get leaks on shit these days, what with the internets being freely available.[/QUOTE]

Strell pretty much nails it, I dont think Fusion has any staff at NOA. Unless I'm wrong, Fusion NP has the same access as anyone else in the gaming "media".

[quote name='Strell']Don't start this game with me. I wouldn't have even made the image if the story from Gonintendo had never surfaced and pointed me toward it.

Plus this all is coming entirely from the POV that Nintendo Power doesn't get leaks on shit these days, what with the internets being freely available.[/quote]I'd have to disagree with you: no one had ever heard of Trauma Center 2 before Nintendo Power was on shelves a couple months ago. And that's not even a first-party game.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']I'll call that and I'll raise you this:

Look at Mickey's ear(s). Now look at the round thing that the sword is supposedly sticking out of in the Nintendo scan.

I propose that they are very similar.[/quote]

I honestly thought that was the top of a Gamecube.

[quote name='yukine']"It's Mother 3. Just Kidding."

Funny shit. :lol:[/QUOTE]

It really is, in a mean spirited sort of way, but I do get the feeling that the Fusion folks at least get their audience. I mean Earthbound and Mother are in the top 5 list for the VC in the same issue.

[quote name='botticus']I'd have to disagree with you: no one had ever heard of Trauma Center 2 before Nintendo Power was on shelves a couple months ago. And that's not even a first-party game.[/quote]
Also no one knew the Castlevania Wii game was a fighting game until Nintendo Power came out. I'm pretty sure no one knew anything about Mega Man 9 (other then it was in development because of ratings leakds) before it was in Nintendo Power.

do you guys remember the ending of KH2 when there were all the swords sticking in the ground? Ill try to get a scan but I remember one of the swords looked a bit like that, plus the mickey ear. This could also be the "game to please hardcore and casual gamers" which is disney+final fantasy

[quote name='foltzie']It really is, in a mean spirited sort of way, but I do get the feeling that the Fusion folks at least get their audience. I mean Earthbound and Mother are in the top 5 list for the VC in the same issue.[/quote]

Fusion? Do you mean Future US?

I'm betting on KH3 as well.

bread's done
Back