Nintendo PSA - FREE nintendo replacement OEM JOYCONS if you DRIFT

Are they brand new or refurbed?
Dunno, they aren't the ones I sent in though and they came in plastic sleeves like when you buy the console new, the difference is the plastic had this sticker with some numbers on it. I also had to sync them to the console, the ones I sent in were already synced

Last edited by a moderator:
Are they brand new or refurbed?
Mine arrived yesterday and all four contained my original joycon shells that were shipped to Nintendo. My service writeup also noted that faulty parts were replaced (without further detail).

I did a side-by-side comparison of the replaced joycon analog sticks to a barely-used (< 2 h total, since purchase) pair that weren't sent in for repairs. The repaired joycon analogs definitely had a firmer feel to the movement, with an easier (faster) return to center. I tested this comparison with the others in my household (n = 5). Although none of the others were aware of which joycons I had sent in and which had been held back, all indicated that the repaired joycons seemed firmer.

As many others have said, time will tell how these repairs address the problem. However, for now, I remain hopeful and encouraged by the initial impressions following repair.

Mine arrived yesterday and all four contained my original joycon shells that were shipped to Nintendo. My service writeup also noted that faulty parts were replaced (without further detail).

I did a side-by-side comparison of the replaced joycon analog sticks to a barely-used (< 2 h total, since purchase) pair that weren't sent in for repairs. The repaired joycon analogs definitely had a firmer feel to the movement, with an easier (faster) return to center. I tested this comparison with the others in my household (n = 5). Although none of the others were aware of which joycons I had sent in and which had been held back, all indicated that the repaired joycons seemed firmer.

As many others have said, time will tell how these repairs address the problem. However, for now, I remain hopeful and encouraged by the initial impressions following repair.
I hadn't noticed a problem with mine yet but I might send them in incase they are actually replacing something or whatnot. I don't want to have problems later on. On the back I'm going to put a tiny mark and see if it comes back with it.

Thanks.

Guys, if you call support now, they have an option 1 just for the joy con drift
So if that makes it easier for you guys, just call instead of making an email ticket

I havent had problems myself anymore, but i also have another console, so it could’ve Been all 3 were defective

How do I test if mine drifts? Its pretty much a model bought a few months after launch. I did already get a nintendo repair for it disconnecting randomly.

If you send one in for drift that also has the issue where the little plastic piece that keeps the joycon locked in place fails,do they fix both? Wondering if anyone else in this situation? Thanks

I put it in and we sent a fix order for only the left one. But I feel like when separate it’s also the right one. Am I crazy?
Either it drifts, or it doesn't.

However, when they start to first wear out, you end up getting mixed inputs....but inconsistently. As an example, I was playing Diablo 3 and trying to move left...but it occasionally (<1%) would register as being up. Another way to test early drift would be to find a game where you can move in one direction for a long time (e.g. minecraft, as an example), and hold the joystick in that direction. Most of the time, the correct input would register...but a small amount of time, a different input will register and you will shift a bit to the right/left.

Regardless of how it first manifests, the issue invariably increased in probability over time, to the point where you can no longer reliably predict that your analog input will register as intended.

Glad I got a pro controller.

I've sent in 2 different Switches for L Joy-Cons.
One broke off in the glide, the casing came off. Now this one has to go back. The R d-pad button goes left constantly.
The other Switch had the Top d-pad button go perpetually up. Then the analog stick started to drift before sending it in.

This IS Nintendo's "Red Ring".
I wonder if the "new" Switch (all red box) has this fixed or is this just the 360 Elite?

I sent mine over 2 weeks ago. Haven't received them back. Randomly got an email last night with another shipping label and repair order
I sent mine about a week and a half back, it still shows waiting for arrival even though UPS says it was delivered last Thursday. I'm pretty sure they are backed up on these quite a bit. They do say it may take a few days to move from "Due In" to "Received". They probably keep them in the boxes until they are ready to fix them to keep things together. I'll give it until early next week before checking with them if nothing moves.

I sent mine about a week and a half back, it still shows waiting for arrival even though UPS says it was delivered last Thursday. I'm pretty sure they are backed up on these quite a bit. They do say it may take a few days to move from "Due In" to "Received". They probably keep them in the boxes until they are ready to fix them to keep things together. I'll give it until early next week before checking with them if nothing moves.
I just got confirmation that they were received and that they should complete the repair within a week and a half

I packed my (smash edition) Joy-Cons up today and gave them to UPS. I made sure to write on the form and on the slip in the box that I want Smash editions back. I sure hope they can read and follow the request, or I’ll be extremely pissed.

Can I still be part of the class action suit if I have Nintendo fix the issue?....I want to make sure I'm not giving up my rights to do so...those bastards deserve to still be suit for ignoring the remote issues for so long until someone actually decided to take legal action.

Nintendo's greed went too far, and hopefully people can get both the repair and be part of the class action suit.

Can I still be part of the class action suit if I have Nintendo fix the issue?....I want to make sure I'm not giving up my rights to do so...those bastards deserve to still be suit for ignoring the remote issues for so long until someone actually decided to take legal action.

Nintendo's greed went too far, and hopefully people can get both the repair and be part of the class action suit.
There won’t be a suit if they are taking action to fix it.

Didn't get a chance to update, received my replacements in the mail the other day. Not sure if they are new or my old ones but these replacements feel great and no issues so far. Process for the exchange was quick and easy once submitted. 

I kept meaning to come back here and update.  

I sent my Smash edition Joy-Cons off to them, and waited...a month?  Maybe even a little longer.

But, I got the controllers sent back, and they were indeed Smash edition Joy-Cons.

I'm not sure if they were my originals or not.  I'm thinking not, since they "paired" when I connected them to my Switch.  (But maybe they get reset or something when sent out?)

Either way, I'm hoping I'm all good.  But, always glad that they didn't send me a different edition controller.

Does anyone here know just how bad the drift has to be in order for them to fix it? When I go to my calibration screen, it's not going crazy but I definitely have drift and it's very noticeable while playing Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

Does anyone here know just how bad the drift has to be in order for them to fix it? When I go to my calibration screen, it's not going crazy but I definitely have drift and it's very noticeable while playing Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.
I've heard of people sending them in and nothing is happening, as they will replace said parts either way, as it's not an issue of "if" these go bad, but "when".

I sent mine in even though it was subtle.

I'm not sure if they were my originals or not. I'm thinking not, since they "paired" when I connected them to my Switch. (But maybe they get reset or something when sent out?)
The find controllers option on the Switch shows all of the controllers that your Switch is synced with, even if they're currently not connected to the Switch (they show up as grayed out pictures.) If that joy-con is new there will be a new entry on that screen in addition to the other pictures. My brother and I had to do this to make sure we got our own personal joy-cons back because we sent them in the same package to Nintendo and both were left joy-cons.

I sent mine in even though it was subtle.
Mine was also subtle, but consistent. They replaced it no problem. The only issue is that it took about a month and a half. I ended up calling at one point and the lady on the phone told me they had so many coming in for repairs that it was basically a giant backlog they had to work through.

I purchased an open box pair for cheap at Walmart, knowing that most likely the joycons were switched out with broken and/or used joycons. The left one would stick going up. I submitted the left one for repair but sent in both hoping for new ones. Sure enough, after a week and a half, they sent me 2 new joycons. I could tell because the serial numbers were different.

Today, I ordered a Switch (version 2) + $10 gift card at Target.com for $260 (after price-match to Newegg via chat).  I'll do research later when I get home, but have there been reports on JoyCon drift on version 2 Switch systems?

They changed the antenna placement on the left joycon because of an earlier transmission issue that required sending them in to get  a piece of conductive foam but otherwise it's the same joystick part.

They changed the antenna placement on the left joycon because of an earlier transmission issue that required sending them in to get a piece of conductive foam but otherwise it's the same joystick part.
Oh, ok. Thanks for the info.

It took a few weeks, but it looks to me like I got new ones: yellow and green joycons. Nintendo doing good.
Yeah, I forgot to post but it took a while (5 weeks) but they got me a couple new red ones to replace the Mario edition ones we sent in. They work great. It definitely was slower than their typical turnaround time because of how many being sent in, but they delivered.

The find controllers option on the Switch shows all of the controllers that your Switch is synced with, even if they're currently not connected to the Switch (they show up as grayed out pictures.) If that joy-con is new there will be a new entry on that screen in addition to the other pictures. My brother and I had to do this to make sure we got our own personal joy-cons back because we sent them in the same package to Nintendo and both were left joy-cons.
Interesting. Thanks. I'll have to check it out.

Had my first experience with Joy-Con replacements. The left Joy-Con had extremely severe up drift and the right Joy-Con had down drift. These are the OG Joy-Cons that came with my console.

Just received my repair/replacement order yesterday, and... The left Joy-Con that they sent me has left drift. What the hell, it didn't even take a week for it to fuck up. Thanks Nintendo.

Yikes, that's the first bad report I've heard.  Hopefully they haven't gotten lazy since the original onrush of replacement requests probably subsided a few weeks ago.  I'm going to send in for  a replacement...I've been lazy about sending it in. 

I've stopped using the left Joy-Con they sent me. I've been playing Super Smash Bros. Ultimate with the right Joy-Con turned sideways for shits and giggles. Something is not right with that one either... I can't charge Smash attacks frequently and sometimes it doesn't register the attack or special move button if trying to attack during a dash.

Seems like there are issues with the joystick being pushed all the way in one direction and using a button at the same time. It's only a matter of time before this one drifts, but I'm not sure if they'll replace it since it's technically not drifting yet.

Their quality control on this one was horrendous, so hopefully everyone else is getting good repairs/replacements and won't need second ones. Nintendo really dropped the ball with their controllers this time around.

Mine were working great but now both sets drift while playing Mario odyssey! Guess it’s time to send them in.

I've stopped using the left Joy-Con they sent me. I've been playing Super Smash Bros. Ultimate with the right Joy-Con turned sideways for shits and giggles. Something is not right with that one either... I can't charge Smash attacks frequently and sometimes it doesn't register the attack or special move button if trying to attack during a dash.

Seems like there are issues with the joystick being pushed all the way in one direction and using a button at the same time. It's only a matter of time before this one drifts, but I'm not sure if they'll replace it since it's technically not drifting yet.

Their quality control on this one was horrendous, so hopefully everyone else is getting good repairs/replacements and won't need second ones. Nintendo really dropped the ball with their controllers this time around.
Not really, they did name them Joy-Con after all.

Not really, they did name them Joy-Con after all.
LOL, good one!

Yeah, after the Lite released I was of a wait and see attitude on these things, as no way I'm sending in a unit on a regular basis, even if it is a "free" fix. As I was planning to get one at launch, and once seeing the Lite had similar issues to the OG, I decided to hold off. I have since seen videos of how they can be replaced the analog stick on your own, and I'm cool with that, as I have good experience with doing such things.

It's a sad state of affairs when a company like "N" seems to just treat something like this as an "OK" thing, as I've heard EU doesn't even get these repaired for free. Which seems like they have a good argument for a class action style situation, as there's proof from other regions the problem exist, although I'm not sure if the EU has laws that could address that.

A con for sure seems the best term for these things, in the same way Vita(life) was the perfect name for that system, as both terms accurately describe the devices in question.

When you guys sent in the left joycon for "left joycon drift" did you send in both sides or just the left side?  The instructions I received by email weren't explicitly clear.  Thanks. 

I sent in my mint pair experiencing drift and was sent a pair in horrible condition! Deep scratches front and back. Part of a button was missing, it was chipped.

I've heard that the Pokemon version of the Lite has fixed JoyCon parts, but not the first three that were released. Not sure if that's actually true. But, if you want a Lite, that should probably be the version that you buy.

Hello. I have joy-con controllers from a system purchased 2 years ago. The system was rarely used. I dont notice any drifting issues with the joy sticks. But i do notice a delay when pressing the buttons on right side controller.

Is this a controller that Nintendo will replace?

I've sent in 2 pairs and both times the ones I received back were in much better condition than what I sent. Guess may just come down to luck

bread's done
Back