Nintendo pulling a SEGA

This thread really might not want to be troll feed but it really asks for it .. hard..

But I'll toss a few pellets myself.. here goes

Nintendo is not going to pull a Sega, It's always easy and it actually makes perfect sense at the moment to look at what has happened and say its the coming of the end from a few mistakes. The way you people are talking is effectively meaningless, I'm sure critics talked the same way when the N64 didn't use CD's and the Virtual Boy just released before it (that N64 was delayed) was a total flop. Don't bother telling me well it was a shit system, I'm sure you would have thought it was cool at the time like 3d on the 3ds is now. But see, the 3ds is not just about 3d, you can turn it off, its not betting the farm on that, Nintendo plays their cards pretty well in that regard they don't act like Microsoft and Sony generally have, by just pumping out the best tech they see as an affordable console (or worth the buzz words they bring "HD" etc). At least in terms of a track record, they made the e-reader and that didn't do that well, and they try different things like connectivity of the gamecube to gba. While some things don't take off it doesn't mean they are on the wrong path!

Take a step back for a moment when you speak of the quality of games available, your personal taste in games makes you bias against your own judgment does it not? When you see all the games on Wii and nothing actually interests you, you personally feel that its not doing well despite the sales, right? Now, I do share feelings of dumbing down a franchise like Zelda but it might be misplaced feelings. Some people hated Navi in Ocarina of Time because she wouldn't shut up always getting in your way telling you about something going on in the game she couldn't hold back and let you ask for it.

Nintendo has goals and it would seem they are pretty obvious if we are talking about selling games to everyone, it just makes business sense. And it works. The dumbing down is their balancing act of getting it to work for all ages while at the same time bringing out the game which happens to really be a hardcore title. This can be hard with some games but they have made a good solution with the idea of "super guides" for their games to keep us gamers happy while letting everyone able to play who suck at games. :p

Lets see what did I forget to mention... oh yes! Games, every generation is different than the last, and it depends on your tastes which will decide if a generation was good for a particular console. I think being a bit subjective and looking at the real number of 3rd party games on the Wii its really no different than NES gen in some ways. There's a ton of games and a nice chunk of great games no one can deny is worth playing.
I really think the Wii is comparative to the NES gen (everyone else always looks at it like that) and because of that fact, the next system will do almost if not just as well when it brings HD to Nintendo titles when people actually care and can enjoy it (so many people played xbox and ps3 on crt's still, so what it actually means is they were interested in the GAMES not the fuckin graphics).

The system after the Wii will be the 2nd coming of the gold years in my opinion (those of you who consider the super nintendo the best of the best of overall great games almost all across the board). Nintendo will probably get these things right based on what they know they need to do better and what they will bring:

-More robust and overall better functionality in online play to their first real entry into it on the Wii.

-It will be more powerful than Wii, if history is any indication it will be at least as powerful as 2 wii's and a half if not more.

-It will be at least 720p output its likely they would make that the minimal and allow 1080p similar to how ps3 and xbox360 have it settled.

-It will continue the idea of motion having a place in the controls of gaming, we won't know how it will evolve but it will not be leaving, and instead become a staple inclusion like the rumble.

-The quality control will be stepped up in a way that to prevent some 3rd party dev's from shitting all over Nintendo's market and bring down the overall gaming selection.

-Something new will come along, what is it? I don't think it will be 3d when thats the 3ds selling point, for a console that might not even catch on for the issue of needing to replace our new hdtv's... its a bit too soon, people like to keep tv's for ALOT longer. But who knows.

So that's all I'm gonna bother saying, enjoy it or don't. I own all consoles. This gen has been so full of fps's it makes me want to puke, for other people they are so happy they could piss their pants and still happily play every release of call of duty or something.

The Nintendo brass has always said they hold everything to themselves and that they wait until the right time to release innovative products so that the competition will not get them. So the OP theory is severly blown. I believe it was during the 3DS reveal at E3 that this was said.
No way Nintendo is going software only and no way they are getting out of the hardware business. They are the only company consistently making money and the casual gamer market is bigger than hardcore games would like to admit. This is why DS and Wii consistently sell. No matter how you feel about things, the casual gamers have won out this gen. Not that I think this is great or not as a hardcore gamer myself, I just chose to accept fact. Sony and Microsoft are trying the casual market too remember.

What I'd LOVE from Nintendo is what they did with the Gamecube. Provide modern hardware with no gimmicks and focus on great games for it.

But...obviously that didn't work out great for them, so... :( It's all the fault of the dorks who didn't buy Gamecube stuff, darn it!

Maybe Nintendo can trick Sony and Microsoft into ditching their real controllers for Movement and Project Shitbox, trick them into continuing to support old systems...and then Nintendo can release like a Geforce GTX 580 + Sandy Brige based console for $300 next year (through magic) that uses a normal controller, and suck back in all the hard core gamers PLUS the people now randomly buying Nintendo again. :whistle2:D

[quote name='xmbri']The Nintendo brass has always said they hold everything to themselves and that they wait until the right time to release innovative products so that the competition will not get them. So the OP theory is severly blown.[/QUOTE]

I'm not really sure what you mean by that, or how it severly blows the OP. Same with Sciafb's comments, I tried following them, but it seems like your doing alot of rambling, not backing up points, and making some stuff up. I'm saying that even with nintendo's success, they are still in a tough position with some of the fallout from hardcore gamers and the fickleness of the mainstream. I would not be surprised if they lost their top spot in the next gen, then started running into financial trouble after that.

If their next system can compete graphically with Sonys and Microsofts next, and they can get some good 3rd party support; nintendo would get back alot of the hardcore, but possibly lose the mainstream market because of price. Especially if another console offers a cheaper option, with a new gimmick. Maybe an improvement on Kinect?

Also, when I heard nintendo starting to hype their next system. Saying it will be jaw dropping. I had a thought about what their next thing could be. Return of the Power Glove! Not so much a glove, but some kind of finger sensors, that could register "button presses" just by flicking a finger. Combine that with a kinect like motion system, and there you have "buttons" and controller-less body tracking. Still have the joystick problem though. I don't know about the viability of this tech, and the "glove" or finger sensors would have to fit everyone...but its one of the few ideas i've had about what the next innovation/gimmick might be.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Xenogears']I'm not really sure what you mean by that, or how it severly blows the OP. Same with Sciafb's comments, I tried following them, but it seems like your mostly just rambling and making stuff up. I'm saying that even with nintendo's success, they are still in a tough position with some of the fallout from hardcore gamers and the fickleness of the mainstream. I would not be surprised if they lost their top spot in the next gen, then started running into financial trouble after that.[/QUOTE]

I think he was saying that we cannot really judge Nintendo's future quite yet, as Nintendo claims their new console will have some kind of innovation that their competitors will be unable to match. To me, the statement sounds like typical PR speak. I don't expect an exec to come out and say "Hey guys, about the Wii2, we have no innovations in plan for it. It's just going to be a Wii, but with all the things people like about the PS3 and 360 added to it."

I am damn curious to see exactly where they take the Wii2. If they do try to take the Wii, and just add better hardware and a good online system, I see it falling behind Sony and Microsoft. They'll need some other kind of gimmick/innovation to get those that already have a Wii to trade-up.

With Nintendo's latest innovation, I am excited to see what Nintendo comes up with next. (Hopefully they include rechargeable batteries with their next console...)

[quote name='rlse9']Except that there was never any real chance that they were going 3rd party because, like has been mentioned here multiple times, Nintendo was still a profitable company the entire time and both the N64 and Gamecube were profitable systems. Sega had multiple failures before their going 3rd party. Every Nintendo console has been profitable.

The more I think about it, I think it's more likely that Nintendo ends up as a 3rd party company in the handheld market. I know that sounds crazy right now given the huge success of the DS and how highly anticipated the 3DS is but the iPhone/iPod Touch/Android are a threat to handheld gaming in the traditional sense. The iPod Touch alone outsells the PSP and DS combined. And I think we're more and more becoming a one device society and for most people, including me, if I'm bringing one device with me on the go, it's the iPod, not the DS.

I'm not saying it will happen, or even that it's likely to happen, just that it wouldn't surprise me. If you asked people 5 years ago if the point and shoot camera would be dying anytime soon they'd tell you that's crazy, digital cameras are more popular than ever. But now a lot of tech experts think point and shoot cameras are going to be a niche market in the very near future because phone cameras have become so much better and are more convenient. Could handheld systems go the same route? Probably not anytime soon but you never know.[/QUOTE]
While I agree with you that the iPod/iPhone are the biggest threat to the DS, Apple doesn't release iPod Touch stats. They always combine them with the iPhones. I think the recent guess was 6-7million iPod Touches but no one but Apple seems to know for sure.

In any case their are plenty of cheap games for the iPod that are decent and that are priced MUCH lower than DS games. Not to mention you can do a lot more with an iPod vs a DS.
Personally I'm not a fan of touch screen games but some of them work on iPods.

As far as I'm concerned, iOS is not a legitamate game platform. The current ones are:

-Playstation Portable
-Playstation 3
-sort of still Playstation 2
-Windows (I'd say OS X too)
-Nintendo DS
-Wii
-Xbox 360

There ARE some good games and some real games on iOS, but they're overwhelmed by garbage, and mostly it just isn't a game platform because it has a terrible interface for games. It would be like if the NES only had the Power Pad or something.

EDIT: If it were still supported, the NES would be 100x the gaming system iOS is.

rofl to sum up iOS
zero first party games
a few good third party games
more garbage games than the Wii

Last edited by a moderator:
My point was not whether iOS was a "legitimate" gaming platform or a good gaming platform, just that I could see it, and potentially its competitors, becoming a threat to Nintendo. And it doesn't matter if CAGs consider it legitimate or not, if there's millions of people gaming on it, and many of those casual gamers who did buy DSes opt to use their iPhone/Android/Windows phone to satisfy their gaming, that could become an issue for Nintendo.

Again, not saying I expect Nintendo's handheld presence to disappear but I think the smart phone gaming market is more of a threat to Nintendo and Sony than most gamers believe.

I don't see Nintendo going 3rd party just yet, though its a possible future without some serious new innovation on their part. I think the key here is that Nintendo is going to be due for a new console long before Sony and Microsoft are. This could be a either a huge disadvantage or advantage for Nintendo, I am very curious to see what they will do and I seriously doubt they will step into the war between PS3/360--they would stand no chance.

I read your post OP, I didn't read anyone else... sorry!

But for real, I am not worried about the Wii HD or the possibility of them going on the journey or sega. 3ds will totally keep nintendo in the green for the next 4 years. Nintendo will NEVER make a 3rd party game (see cd-i games).

Their next console which I expect to see at e3 this year along with the next xbox will be the next step for nintendo. Nintendo has always and will always tell us consumers what we want, and they will deliver despite what any of us think (including take two ceo feder"s kid who is far to old to play the wii). I hope the Big N well wishes and my money for the 3ds and future first day endeavors that I will grab.

[quote name='Xenogears']My numbers are for microsoft as a whole, not just their Xbox division.[/QUOTE]

You think their investors and board of directors will allow them to continue to lose money on consoles indefinitely? Whereas Nintendo's only business is gaming, and they've been making a lot of money doing it for decades.

Also, keep in mind that Nintendo, a company that makes only games, has had a higher market cap than Sony, an international electronics conglomerate, for almost 3 years now. Business is good.

However, let's use your style of argument to make other outlandish predictions! Apple has higher quarterly earnings than Microsoft! Microsoft should quit making operating systems and just concede the market to Apple!

Right now I'm randomly thinking having to launch a console sooner could be an advantage. Gives some excitement to the brand, when all they might be doing is launching a current gen system (finally). Heck, they could probably launch something fairly cheap that's still a current gen system but maybe 50% better than the Xbox/Playstation, plus have all their first party stuff (which of late seems good again), and end up with the best versions of current gen games, while the competition doesn't necessarily want to launch a next gen system in response since their hardware is still competitive.

Obviously I still wish the (then next gen) system they were working on had been released instead of what they did...

bread's done
Back