Nintendo Refuses to do Controversial Interview with EGM

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Of course they aren't, but the big three need to work with them for the long run. They can't expect the press to just roll over and let them dictate everything, like they don't want to talk about Nintendo's games and let the fans know more about the games they're interested in. There's a symbiotic relationship between the two and neither one can afford to pull any stunts on the other one. It only hurts the readers/fans in the long run.[/quote]

No they don't NEED to. They can just not. They can put out their own publications, or we can switch to a different model. There's ALWAYS a choice.

[quote name='rodeojones903']So you agree that Sony was 100% correct in the way they handled the Kotaku fiasco before they "unblackballed" them?[/QUOTE]

Apples to oranges. Kotaku spilled the beans on a top-secret new project that will end up being a big step in the PS3s life. A project Sony wasn't ready to announce.

Shane spilled the beans on a Gamecube game that was supposed to be out a year prior that everyone already knew about. All he was doing was giving an impression on an already announced game a few weeks prior to launch. A game that had screenshots and videos available already.

[quote name='Corvin']Apples to oranges. Kotaku spilled the beans on a top-secret new project that will end up being a big step in the PS3s life. A project Sony wasn't ready to announce.

Shane spilled the beans on a Gamecube game that was supposed to be out a year prior that everyone already knew about. All he was doing was giving an impression on an already announced game a few weeks prior to launch. A game that had screenshots and videos available already.[/QUOTE]

SPM was supposed to come out last April? That's news to me! :roll:

Nintendo probably needs to remember that it was only through media hype that their console has sold as well as it has...

[quote name='Scrubking']So you believe that 90% of all gamers take the word of game mags as gospel and only make purchases based on their opinion?

I know a lot of gamers are young and impressionable (like all you guys who happen to know all the names of the writers for some mag. WTF?), but the truth is that mags hardly influence anybody anymore. And even if they do most gamers are smart enough to go on the web and get another opinion in your typical "should I get X game" thread, etc. Mags are dying and will soon be extinct. Their influence diminishes every day.

And speaking of EGM, I don't believe anything that mag says after an episode of a videogame show on Spike where the editor in chief admitted to giving good scores in exchange for all the swag they get. This pretty much applies to all "major" videogame media, but his admission was so blatant and who cares that I couldn't believe it.

For those of you who don't know almost all of the "major" game media is biased and in the pocket of some game company at some point in time. Who do you think pays the advertisements that makes these mags and websites possible? How do you think these idiots who dress up in torn up jeans and nasty ass T-shirts get awesome exclusives and interviews? It certainly isn't their journalistic integrity.[/QUOTE]

Game Head on Spike right? I saw that show, and that was more of a joke than anything. One of those "of course we do, nudge nudge, wink wink". I doubt he really meant it.

Regardless, of course every media outlet takes bribes, this isn't limited to print mags, but every side of the business, even gaming blogs are guilty.

I must be one of the few that has been completely unimpressed with these "hard core" interviews that EGM has done with Sony and Microsoft. The answers were nothing more than company-speak and EGM did a piss-poor job of following up on these answers and calling them out when they stated obvious BS.

I wouldn't have expected anything more out of a Nintendo interview.

Now, everyone keeps assuming this is because of the SPM thing... what about the entire bit claiming that Kaplin was sleeping with IGN's Matt?

The reason this annoys me has nothing to do with EGM. I just want Nintendo to talk about what they're doing/working for this year and later on in the Wii lifecycle. I feel like they keep saying all of this cool stuff is coming without giving us any idea what is coming. Obviously some stuff they probably don't know when/where/how, but I feel like we're getting blue balls over this awesome new console without much to look forward too.

This is pretty much the same as the DS launch which is to be expected I guess. At least with the 360 we had Gears of War to look forward to. We knew it was coming and we had tasty tidbits fed to us here and there. Sony has FFXIII and MGS4. Nintendo has SSBB, SMG, and MP3, but there is very very little talked about the titles. I'm very curious why MP3 isn't out yet and how Nintendo is going to manage all of their big titles coming out around Christmas.

I wish the industry was better at giving a steady stream of information than random information orgasms at festivals and conferences. It's good to have some secrets/surprises, but keeping everything underwraps is frustrating.

Curious - does this have anything to do with the fact that Nintendo has to embargo information until that stock thing clears up?

[quote name='Strell']Curious - does this have anything to do with the fact that Nintendo has to embargo information until that stock thing clears up?[/QUOTE]

NO way!! Cant be that obvious must be some hidden meaning... Maybe the letters D and S are hidden in the article or his follow up post... maybe some GPS coordinates to a pay phone?

There must be more to it.

If I were Nintendo I wouldn't want to do an interview with EGM either. I had a free subscription and spent maybe 10 minutes on each issue because it wasn't worth the time to read it most of the time. And half of the time the magazine would show up late or I'd all of a sudden get 2 issues within 3 days. I moved a few months ago and tried updating my address and haven't seen an issue since then. So, EGM pretty much sucks in my opinion and even if they did I wouldn't care, they'd get nothing more than generic answers to all of their "tough" questions anyway.

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']SPM was supposed to come out last April? That's news to me! :roll:[/QUOTE]

Not April but last summer at some point.

[quote name='Strell']Curious - does this have anything to do with the fact that Nintendo has to embargo information until that stock thing clears up?[/QUOTE]
Maybe, but in that case, why has NoA (and Reggie himself) done several other interviews since GDC?

I think the stock situation just keeps them from making new announcements. They're still free to hold interviews and make press releases for already-announced games.

I don't understand these situations. Why shouldn't Nintendo do things on their own terms? The kind of people who subscribe to EGM already know all they need to know about the Wii, and there are publications with a much higher and more diverse readership than EGM openly praising the Wii. What's to be gained from an interview that seems more designed for out-of-context sound bites than information?

Making a big deal out of this only makes EGM appear petty and amateurish. Which they most likely are.

Sony should have followed Nintendo's lead over the course of the PS3 release. Instead of making all those ridiculous statements in response to perceived criticism, Sony should have just shut their freakin' pie holes and conducted things on their own terms. Granted, people would write nasty stuff despite Sony's unwillingness to walk into an ambush, but at least Sony wouldn't have to deny or interpret damaging statements from their own people.

PR isn't fucking brain surgery. Nintendo, in spite of that flake Perrin Kaplan, gets it.

I don't understand the hate for EGM - is there a better gaming magazine out there? I've also enjoyed the interviews the past few months - I think they have finally realized that previews and screenshots aren't going to cut it because that stuff is on the net weeks in advance. I still looks forward to it every month though...

[quote name='javeryh']I don't understand the hate for EGM - is there a better gaming magazine out there? I've also enjoyed the interviews the past few months - I think they have finally realized that previews and screenshots aren't going to cut it because that stuff is on the net weeks in advance. I still looks forward to it every month though...[/quote]I don't think there are many, if any, better gaming mags than EGM, but these days that doesn't mean much. I get Nintendo Power because they occasionally get exclusive stuff and I can get a free strategy guide (and until the Wii came out, they were about the only magazine that had anything Nintendo-related), I get GI because I have an Edge card, and I used to get EGM because it was free (I think my sub just expired last month). Nothing really makes me want to pay for any of them.

[quote name='javeryh']I don't understand the hate for EGM - is there a better gaming magazine out there? I've also enjoyed the interviews the past few months - I think they have finally realized that previews and screenshots aren't going to cut it because that stuff is on the net weeks in advance. I still looks forward to it every month though...[/QUOTE]
I don't hate or love EGM. Maybe some of the hate in this thread has come about from EGM's little statement re: Nintendo turning down an interview. It's not the big deal EGM is making it out to be. They're kind of being pussy about it when instead they should just STFU and realize that, despite their journalistic notions, they are in a position to request interviews and not demand them.

[quote name='Technique']Who knows what made Nintendo cancel their interview with EGM? We can all speculate why they did, but does anyone really no the true reason(s)? Let's hear the whole story before we start flipping shit over either of these companies.[/QUOTE]

Quoted for not being more reactionary, stupid shit. Though I'm sure it will be to no end.

I think EGM is the best game magazine out there right now. I don't understand the problem that these elitist assholes have with the magazine. Where are you getting better features and information from that's so high and mighty. You know we'd all take their jobs in a second if we could.

I really do like their interview style with the PR heads (even if it doesn't produce anything but the typical PR bullshit lines) but it's completely fair that Nintendo is allowed to say no. God knows they're not exactly targeting the EGM readership type demographic as much as Sony/MS anymore.

What's the big deal here?

I'm pretty sure the sensitive relationship that EGM/1Up has with Nintendo is because they dog the shit out of the Wii on almost every single podcast that they put out.

Not to mention the fact that Luke Smith inferred that Matt C. from IGN was dating Perrin Kaplan and that was why EGM got hit with the embargo stick over the SPM story.

I actually noticed that the last 1Up Yours podcast was a little lighter on the Wii bashing - I wonder if that is because of the talks they are having with Nintendo now.

[quote name='trq']Quoted for not being more reactionary, stupid shit. Though I'm sure it will be to no end.[/QUOTE]

Quoted for not realizing that EGM is trying to make something out of nothing because Nintendo doesn't need a reason to deny an interview. Though it will be to no end.

[quote name='javeryh']I don't understand the hate for EGM - is there a better gaming magazine out there? I've also enjoyed the interviews the past few months - I think they have finally realized that previews and screenshots aren't going to cut it because that stuff is on the net weeks in advance. I still looks forward to it every month though...[/QUOTE]

They're well known for their very, very biased reviews. Outside of that, they're pretty good.

[quote name='-Never4ever-']They're well known for their very, very biased reviews. Outside of that, they're pretty good.[/QUOTE]
They're reviews suck anyways so who cares? How often in a review do they actually say what the game is about/how it plays? Most of the time they use metaphors like "this game is like a brand new car" or some shit like that. Or the say "this game was good and I liked it". They never explain enough on HOW it was good or bad or WHY they liked it.

This is absolutely zero loss for us as an audience. It's not like Reggie would've given any new info. All he would've done is dodged probing questions and spun things back around to his usual talking points. He does it in every freakin' interview.

Interesting "news" is almost always reserved for press statements and special media events. Random interviews are worthless. Anybody remember IGN's Nintendo Minute with the routine "can't discuss that right now"/"that'll be revealed at a later date"/"future's gonna be vaguely awesome" shtick?

Nintendo seems to love to talk to MTV first these days about all their upcoming games & the Wii in general.

If MTV isn't the bastion of great journalism, then what is?

[quote name='jer7583']I think EGM is the best game magazine out there right now. I don't understand the problem that these elitist assholes have with the magazine.[/quote]

So if we don't like the magazine we're "elitist assholes"? Yeah that is a reasonable point of view. :roll:

[quote name='jer7583']Where are you getting better features and information from that's so high and mighty.[/quote]

There's this thing called the "Internet" that you're using when you typed that message.

[quote name='jer7583']You know we'd all take their jobs in a second if we could.[/quote]

Speak for yourself.

Biased reviews? way to make an accusation without backing it up.

Probably mentioned earlier in this white-hot thread, but...

...hasn't Nintendo always been 'difficult' with the gaming media, particularly EGM? They don't supply screenshots, they have reps sit in the background while critics play (p)review copies, etc.

EDIT: I don't understand the hate for EGM - is there a better gaming magazine out there?

No. Unequivocally, no.

EGM pre-2004 > EGM 2004-Present > Every other gaming rag out there. It all shows just how far gaming journalism has to go, and how it repeatedly undercuts its own ultimate goal to be 'taken seriously'. The problem is that a gaming publication that doesn't cater to the kiddies isn't financially viable, and in this day and age, those that do barely still are.

Did anyone even read the most recent interview with microsoft? It wasn't a "tougher interview" like EGM would lead you to believe. The whole thing consists of jesting and light hearted fun with a lot of positive promote yourself type questions. Sure it was longer than usual, but no tougher than anyone elses interviews.

Then at the end EGM does their usual, "Hey guys you see how hardcore and badass we are? oh yeah readers, we're so badass we're going to do it again, next month. Did i mention hardcore and cool? oh yeah, that's us!"

This is all just EGM trying to stir up controversy to sell issues. It isn't long before gaming journalists start resorting to shock and fear stories.

"Next Issue: It's a secret for now, but if you don't read our next issue, your children could already be infected with AIDS!"

[quote name='hohez']
"Next Issue: It's a secret for now, but if you don't read our next issue, your children could already be infected with AIDS!"[/QUOTE]

I CAN'T WAIT THAT LONG TO FIND OUT

I'll just go give them aids now.

[quote name='gunm']But do any of these interviews ultimately mean anything? Honestly, sometimes it's like doing the post game interview with an athlete--completely generic and unecessary.

Unless Dan Hsu is just trying to grab quotables a la the Jack Tretton/Sony interview. "Reggie will pay $1200 to anyone who can find a Wii sitting on the shelf for more than 24 hours"...etc etc...[/quote]

No, it doesn't mean much, but nontheless, peopel are attracted by those exclusive interviews. I for one would like to read the interviews, especially if there are beefs between EGM and Nintendo, but i guess there's no need to look forward to now...

I can't help to mention this, maybe Nintendo refused b/c they don't want to make Sony's "bad comments" mistakes? In the media interviews, most of the times the words are taken out of the true intension and if you slip, well, you made a boo boo and be prepared to be made fun of...

bread's done
Back