Nintendo revealed new details on the Wii Virtual Console system

sqyxzylyx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
Courtesy of MagicBox

Nintendo revealed new details on the Wii Virtual Console system:

-Virtual Console games can be saved into the 512 MB internal memory, or onto a SD Card.
-Wii maintains a list of all downloads, if you deleted the game by accident, you can download the same game again free of charge.
-Virtual Console games copied onto SD Card are secured, and will not be playable on any other Wii console except the console which they were downloaded.
-If your Wii console became defective, you can contact Nintendo customer service to retrieve the Virtual Console games
-GameCube games are part of the Virtual Console, GameCube games can only be played with a GameCube controller, not the classic controller.
-All Virtual Console games can be played with classic controller, GameCube controller or Wii remote.
-Each Virtual Console game will come with digital copy of the game manual.
-Virtual Console games are not region free, an American Wii cannot download foreign games from Europe and Japan.
-Wii points can be purchased online in the Wii Shop, you can have a maximum of 10,000 popints in an Wii account.

so you can play mario 64 or other 64 games with a wiimote? do you use the nunchuck? that'd be sweet. but i don't remember the other controls, if its possible.

I'm glad that you can use a GC controller to play games, which saves money on having to not buy a classic controller.

WTF Nintendo?! I wanted to pimp out my Wii account with 10,007 points for my Xmas present!

And also a big boo to the region locks. The need to buy a Japanese Wii grows with each new announcement.

I am very happy to hear that GC controllers will indeed work for VC games. This saves me $20 on getting a Classic Controller (maybe I'll ask for one for Xmas).

I don't understand how "GC games are part of the VC" though.

Neither do I, but maybe we're looking at Gamecube titles down the road when appropriately-sized memory sticks get cheap enough?

Either way, the Virtual Console is going to kick all kinds of ass.

As a clarification, for obvious reasons, the Wiimote will only be usable for NES games. There aren't enough buttons (unless you want to use the Home/trigger as buttons) for SNES or N64.

[quote name='sqyxzylyx']
-Virtual Console games are not region free, an American Wii cannot download foreign games from Europe and Japan.
[/quote]

Why wouldn't VC games be region free? The only reason I might have bought any VC games would have been to play something that wasn't released in the US.

[quote name='onikage']Why wouldn't VC games be region free? The only reason I might have bought any VC games would have been to play something that wasn't released in the US.[/quote]

One would hope Nintendo will be smart enough to localize any games that weren't previously released in the US.

I've been looking for deals on Wavebirds ever since I read the news (I hope that any Wii games that require a traditional controller let you use a Gamecube pad as well as a classic controller). Looks like I might order a few off of buy.com before the google checkout code expires.

[quote name='jollydwarf']Neither do I, but maybe we're looking at Gamecube titles down the road when appropriately-sized memory sticks get cheap enough?[/quote]

Or Nintendo gets over themselves and enables the use of an external hard drive.

[quote name='Kaijufan']I've been looking for deals on Wavebirds ever since I read the news (I hope that any Wii games that require a traditional controller let you use a Gamecube pad as well as a classic controller). Looks like I might order a few off of buy.com before the google checkout code expires.[/QUOTE]

It's basically the same price at Amazon with Free Shipping.

Lots of good and interesting news there...I still may pick up the classic controller, this VC does sound like it will be a whole lot of awesome

[quote name='lordwow']I don't understand how "GC games are part of the VC" though.[/quote]

Though unlikely, it sounds like it may be a chance for updates of GC games through the VC.

-Virtual Console games copied onto SD Card are secured, and will not be playable on any other Wii console except the console which they were downloaded.

That's the one I don't like. So I can't take my VC games over to my friends house to play without taking my Wii? I guess it wouldn't be too hard to bring the Wii over cause it's small enough, but I don't like moving my hardware that much.

How large were GC games? Weren't they a good ~1.4 gb or so?
That'll make for some big space constraints, especially since it takes SD cards only. Here's hooping for an external HD.

[quote name='drfunk85']-Virtual Console games copied onto SD Card are secured, and will not be playable on any other Wii console except the console which they were downloaded.

That's the one I don't like. So I can't take my VC games over to my friends house to play without taking my Wii? I guess it wouldn't be too hard to bring the Wii over cause it's small enough, but I don't like moving my hardware that much.[/QUOTE]

Yeah that's kind of lame but it's probably because it's harder to copy so it's a smart move from Nintendo.

The Cube's DPad controller sucked. Does anyone actually plan to use it for NES, Snes, Genesis, TG16 games? I can see N64 games being played with it, but anything before would HAVE to be played with the Classic Controller.

[quote name='gizmogc']The Cube's DPad controller sucked. Does anyone actually plan to use it for NES, Snes, Genesis, TG16 games? I can see N64 games being played with it, but anything before would HAVE to be played with the Classic Controller.[/QUOTE]

That's why I am glad I have a Hori pad...the d-pad is great.

I sense a great deal of fun for hackers. Im sure there will be a way to extract them from the card, to pc and get them unsecured and share, later secureing your own.

[quote name='gizmogc']The Cube's DPad controller sucked. Does anyone actually plan to use it for NES, Snes, Genesis, TG16 games? I can see N64 games being played with it, but anything before would HAVE to be played with the Classic Controller.[/QUOTE]
I already use my GC controller for my GBA player all the time. So using it for the VC isn't out of the question.

[quote name='Chibi_Kaji']I already use my GC controller for my GBA player all the time. So using it for the VC isn't out of the question.[/quote] Do you use the analog stick for those games? Because according to Kaplan (whose reliability is always in question), the VC will only use the control method the games were designed for, so no analog stick for NES/SNES.

If you can deal with the Cube's dpad, more power to you.:)

[quote name='daroga']Do you use the analog stick for those games? Because according to Kaplan (whose reliability is always in question), the VC will only use the control method the games were designed for, so no analog stick for NES/SNES.

If you can deal with the Cube's dpad, more power to you.:)[/QUOTE]
Really? That seems like an odd thing to do. But if that is true then it would change things.

[quote name='Chibi_Kaji']Really? That seems like an odd thing to do. But if that is true then it would change things.[/quote]
Like I said, that may not be accurate, but might be something to keep in mind.

[quote name='daroga']Do you use the analog stick for those games? Because according to Kaplan (whose reliability is always in question), the VC will only use the control method the games were designed for, so no analog stick for NES/SNES.

If you can deal with the Cube's dpad, more power to you.:)[/quote]

I think Joystiq reported that you could use the analog stick (on the classic controller) to control VC games. That report was from E3.

[quote name='lebowsky']I think Joystiq reported that you could use the analog stick (on the classic controller) to control VC games. That report was from E3.[/quote]*shrug*

[quote name='cvg']Can you specify which controllers it will be possible to use for each of the VC games types (NES, SNES, PC Engine, N64)?

Nintendo: All virtual console games can be played using the Classic Controller or Nintendo GameCube pads. The Wii Remote can also be turned on its side and used as a traditional controller to play NES games. However, a game will only be playable with the control mechanism it was designed for. So, for example, you will play NES games with the D-pad, not an analogue stick or motion-sensitive functionality.[/quote] And evidently this wasn't Kaplan, just "Nintendo."
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=148658

[quote name='I AM WILLIAM H. MACY']If this news is true then I'm gonna tell the Classic Controller to fuck right off[/quote]
To save money, yeah definately.

But for me, it's looking like the CC will have a vastly superior Dpad than the GCN controller, which might sway me to eventually purchase it.

$50 for the CC and 5000 Wii points might not be a horrible deal in the long run, assuming they offer that same deal in the US.

It says the VC games can be stored on the internal memory or the SD card and that it cannot be played on other consoles. It doesn't say anything about not being able to get it off the SD card.

I would have to believe we could liken this to how the new iPod games work. You can get them off but because of the code in each download, it will prohibit playing the games on other systems.

Personally, I'm planning on getting no bigger than a 512MB SD Card(not likely to stay there because of impatience) and just transfering from their to my computer, and storing them there

[quote name='Nomar1245']It says the VC games can be stored on the internal memory or the SD card and that it cannot be played on other consoles. It doesn't say anything about not being able to get it off the SD card.

I would have to believe we could liken this to how the new iPod games work. You can get them off but because of the code in each download, it will prohibit playing the games on other systems.

Personally, I'm planning on getting no bigger than a 512MB SD Card(not likely to stay there because of impatience) and just transfering from their to my computer, and storing them there[/quote]
Right, you'll undoubtedly be able to archive them on your PC. You may not need to as you can redownload them whenever you want for free after a purchase, but I can see the wisdom in that.

bread's done
Back