Nintendo Silicone Cover for your Wiimote

D4rkewolfe

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
http://kotaku.com/gaming/cushiony-shield/nintendo-giving-away-anti+slip-remote-jacket-305922.php

REDMOND, Wash., Oct. 1, 2007 � Nintendo announces the Wii Remote Jacket, a durable, silicone cover for the Wii Remote� that provides a variety of benefits for the player. Nintendo will include the Wii Remote Jacket with all Wii� hardware systems and with all Wii Remotes sold separately or packaged with Wii Play�. Hardware featuring the Wii Remote Jacket will begin shipping to retailers on Oct. 2 and is expected to be on retail shelves the week of Oct. 15.

The Wii Remote Jacket provides cushioning for the Wii Remote for people who might accidentally throw or drop their Wii Remotes while playing games. Use of the Wii Remote Jacket is meant to supplement, not replace, the basic game-play instructions: keep a firm grip, don't let go of the controller, use the wrist strap and make sure your play area is free of people or objects. The Wii Remote Jacket also serves as a cover for the Wii Remote. Nintendo recommends players use the new Wii Remote Jacket as a cushiony shield, though the current Wii Remote is a safe product when used properly.

"We're always looking for ways to improve our products and make sure everyone has a safe and fun experience," says George Harrison, Nintendo of America's senior vice president of marketing and corporate communications. "Many electronics manufacturers provide similar protective covers for products like cell phones, PDAs and MP3 players."

Current Wii owners who want to equip their Wii Remotes with the new Wii Remote Jacket free of charge can go to Wii.com or nintendo.com, or call 1-866-431-8367 to place an order. Nintendo will begin taking orders on Oct. 2, and Wii Remote Jackets will begin shipping the week of Oct. 15.

The Wii Remote Jacket is designed to be added and removed easily, in case users want to slip their Wii Remote into an accessory like the upcoming Wii Zapper�.

It's designed to be added/removed easily the article says... so I could still use my Nyko charge station with it hopefully.

I bet those 3rd party sleeve makers and the buyers are happy. Everybody I know that owns a Wii bought one of the colored sleeves, nice to see I'll be able to get (basically) the same thing for free.

I just submitted my order, and then I noticed my Wii glowing. They just sent a message out to everyone letting us know about this thing. Very cool :applause:

Bah, should have filled out the form when I got the message at home, I'll have to wait till I can find my serial number. Glad they let you get more than 1. Might as well get all 4. Not sure they'll be better than the third-party ones I have, but for free, I'm willing to make the comparison.

I'm going to order 4, though I only have 3 wiimotes. I don't even know if I'm going to use them. It might mess up my bowling curve.

For reference, it seems that the site is getting hammered with orders right now. Also, if possible, try to do it in IE as opposed to FireFox. FF seems to be giving people error messages... as in, there are THREE steps to the order, but FF seems to let you only do one.

I tried with IE a few times this morning after seeing the message on my Wii and reading the CAG post, but I was getting the 404 errors as well. After my 3rd attempt, I was forwarded to a page that said I had tried to order too many jackets.

Guess I'll wait for the rush to calm down before I try again, or maybe I'll just call their number and do it that way.

I wanted to order this now to avoid the rush, but it wants my serial number and I'm not by my Wii. I'm not sure why I have to re-enter this information when I've already registered at MyNintendo. Sigh...

Saw the blink this morning. Going to order right now, if I can get it to work.

Edit: Got a 404 error. I'll try back later.

Will order these for sure. Some extra piece of mind in the times Wiisports get's fired up during a party. Wish you could order from your my nintendo page if you've registered the Wii. A bit annoying to have to go grab the serial number again.

[quote name='Kaijufan']I got a 404 error while trying to place my order. :roll:[/quote]

I got the same, then when I re-submitted and it went through it said I had exceeded the maximum quantity allowed per serial number. :whistle2:k

Yeah I am def. going to get one. I only have one Wiimote and will probably get at least one more this holiday season so do you think I should order 4 or 2? 4 would probably be wasteful but damn how bad would it suck if I ended up getting more Wiimotes than covers b/c I didnt want to waste.

Also does anybody know why Nintendo would do this? This has to be costing them an ass load of money so are they just doing it for good will? Am I missing the "catch"? Its like Nintendo is breaking all of the rules of corporations and doing things just to be nice, instead of doing everything only to maximize profits. Is there a way they are maximizing profits through this act of apparent benevolence that wii are missing?

[quote name='pittpizza']
Also does anybody know why Nintendo would do this? This has to be costing them an ass load of money so are they just doing it for good will? Am I missing the "catch"? [/QUOTE]

Probably just further covering their asses from any class action lawsuits that could arise from people throwing the Wiimotes through TVs etc. when the straps break.

[quote name='pittpizza']Yeah I am def. going to get one. I only have one Wiimote and will probably get at least one more this holiday season so do you think I should order 4 or 2? 4 would probably be wasteful but damn how bad would it suck if I ended up getting more Wiimotes than covers b/c I didnt want to waste.

Also does anybody know why Nintendo would do this? This has to be costing them an ass load of money so are they just doing it for good will? Am I missing the "catch"? Its like Nintendo is breaking all of the rules of corporations and doing things just to be nice, instead of doing everything only to maximize profits. Is there a way they are maximizing profits through this act of apparent benevolence that wii are missing?[/quote]

It's got to be further CYA for Nintendo against damages caused by the remote. They are probably looking at selling a shit-ton more Wiis this holiday season and they don't want to be hit with a replay of the Wii damage stories that ran rampant last year. Not that the publicity didn't work in their favor.

IGN is reporting that it is going to cost Nintendo $18 million to do this. Guess it's better than 1 billion on extended warranties.

EDIT: I must have been composing at the same time as dmaul.

Congrats ITDEFX on getting a Wii and your great timing. You'll love it (as if you dont already).

I called today and asked a cust. service rep the same questions in my previous post, namely "Whats the catch?" and "Whats with the 404 error? The same thing happened to me when I got 4. She said alot of people have had that problem because the site is so busy.

BTW, it was the best and most helpful call to any customer service rep I have ever had. It probably helped that I started the coversation saying "Nintendo is proof *od wants us to be happy." She helped me with issues going on with registering my wii and getting signed into mynintendo.com.

I emailed them about the 404 error. They sent me the following email.

Hello,

I'm sorry to hear that you had a problem placing your order for the Wii Remote Jacket. We are aware of the problem and are working on a solution. Please wait a few days before trying to place your order again. When you return to the website and place your order again, you should be able to view the order confirmation page displaying your seven-digit order number. This means your order was successfully completed. Considering that orders will not begin shipping until October 15th, the wait should not delay your order once it does go through. On behalf of Nintendo, I thank you for your patience and apologize for any inconvenience.

Sincerely, Nintendo of America Inc.
Travis Wise

Nintendo's home page: http://www.nintendo.com/
Power Line (Automated Product Info): (425) 885-7529

^ Thanks for contacting them, Tricky. I've been debating whether to just try ordering again right away (after sharing you guys' issues yesterday), but I'll follow their advice and wait a few days.

Had a blue light message on my Wii this morning from Nintendo telling me about the jackets. I can only imagine that's going to make the servers worse, not better.

[quote name='clockworkgreen']Had a blue light message on my Wii this morning from Nintendo telling me about the jackets. I can only imagine that's going to make the servers worse, not better.[/quote]

I had the message yesterday so they must be sending them out in batches.

I was able to successfully place an order today.

so i finally got through and it said for in the cart but never asked me for my address? is there another step to go through after that or what cause i didnt see any place else to click or do they remember my addy from the strap recall?

Got email yesterday:

"Your Wii Remote Jacket order is currently being processed.

Due to a high volume of orders being received, there may be an
extended delay in shipping your order. There is no need to contact
Nintendo to verify the status of your order. Please visit
http://www.nintendo.com/cpp/orders/getOrders.do if you would like
to monitor the status of your order on your own,"

I've had nothing but trouble trying to order this. Their site must be hammered. I'll keep trying once a day until it goes through, I guess.

Use IE, everytime I've used firefox it hasn't worked. Although apparently they're sending me more wrist straps.

yeah i contacted a guy some of the confirmation emails arent getting there for a couple of days after u fill everything out thats what happened with me did all the steps and received a confirmation yesterday and now it shows up when i check my orders so just keep trying it will go through they are aware of all the troubles or like someone else said call and do it that way

Some new pics of it. Nothing special, but whatever.

wiiremote.jacket2.jpg

wiiremote.jacket3.jpg

bread's done
Back